79 || Disappointment

Backstage Princess

The next morning, Jieun woke up feeling dizzy. Her pillow was wet, maybe she cries herself to sleep. She was unsure, she was thinking a lot yesterday, regarding those matters that she needed to make sure of. She realizes that today, many things are going to change; because today, she and Kim Myungsoo, has turned to nothing but stranger. Nothing bonds the two.

It was unbelievable, how the rumors- or rather the fact- spread fast. They’re murmuring around, whispering to one another, about her and Myungsoo. Some of them are asking her whether the rumors are true or was it simply a false rumor? They won’t be called the the best couple unless they have this much popularity. Eventually, having the rumors spreading very fastly wasn’t surprising at all.

She could only curve her lips to a fake smile, bowing to everyone, and finally excusing herself from the crowd. She never handles crowds and bombs of questions well, thanks to her shy personality. When Myungsoo was with her, she started to handle things well since he done most of the talk. But now she’s alone, and she didn’t know how to handle things well. Finally, she decided to leave the crowds.

When she arrived, all she receives were glares. Jiyeon was glaring at her, annoyed that she didn’t tell her about their break up. Woohyun took over her seat, while staring blankly at her, looking innocent with his slanted puppy eyes. Wooyoung was asleep, but soon jerks up after her presence. He scans Jieun, from head to toe, and back to her face, eyeing her brown orbs.

She was taken aback, but soon sighs. They will be questioning her soon and she will have no choice but to spill it all out. Jieun hates sharing session, she escapes most of it, but with three people eyeing on her, it’s impossible to escape. She will have to answer their questions, not only some, but all.

“Good morning,” she sighs, greetings with a poker face.

“She’s really moody, today.” Wooyoung murmurs, tilting his head.

“Good morning,”

“Did something happen yesterday? I’m your best friend yet I know nothing.” Jiyeon said sarcastically with a creepy smile on her face.

“I’m the last person she’s with and yet I don’t have the slightest clue.” Woohyun glare at her.

“I thought I was close enough to you yet I don’t think you trust me well enough.” Wooyoung tsked.

“Can we do this another time? I’m really tired today.”

“No!” the three said in unison.

“Okay then. We break up. That’s all, we break up.”

“What? How can you say something like that nonchalantly?!” Jiyeon yelled.

“We break up. I asked him to.”

“Jieun-ah, have you gone out of your mind?”

“No. I don’t think I love him enough.”

“So, you’re okay with it? Because your lips keep curving downward.”

“I’m totally fine. We break up, I think that’s for the best.”

“The whole school knows about it! You’re going to be in trouble. How about Pil Sukkie?”

“I have set it all with him.”

“Jieun-ah,”

“I don’t want to talk about it anymore.”

Her last words sent the three to a suffocating silence. It was surprising that Jieun could say something like that. It was rather harsh, an order not a requests. She rarely done something like that, even Wooyoung find it surprising. She never orders people around, she only asked them to do something and if they refuse, she would only sigh. But today, she said that last sentence and her eyes went outside the window, gazing at the sky, signaling she won’t forgive anyone who asked further questions.


“L-ssi, can we talk?” Pil Suk waits for Myungsoo at the front gate.

“Oh, Pil Suk, is it something very important? I’m quite having a temper today. I don’t want to explode and do something stupid.”

“It’s regarding my sister, is that important enough?”

“Sorry, but I don’t know who your sister is.”

“What exactly happen between the two of you?”

“I dump her.”

“What? For God sake, L-ssi, I let you that my sister to take care of her, not to dump her and send her home with her lips curving downwards and her being extremely upset about it!”

“She told me to say it. She told me if a person ever asked what have happen; I should tell them that I’m the one who dump her. She’s very understanding, though. She knows I have too much pride inside.”

“What… do you mean?”

“Yeah, we break up.”

“She’s the one who dump you?”

“I wonder why she is that much upset, she’s the one who asked for break up.”

“L-ssi…”

“Is it finished yet? I don’t want to talk about this any longer.”

Pil Suk was surprised to see him. He looked like a mess, his hair being crazily bad and messy. He looked upset, he didn’t smile at all. He looked pathetic; he looked like he hasn’t eaten for days. He looked like a mess; he looked pitiful, worse than expected. He’s hurting, Pil Suk knows it.


“Noona! Noona! Is it true that the two of you break up?” Sungjong asked, hugging Jieun.

“Calm down, Sungjong-ssi. It’s the truth.”

“Good then, I can stick around you for the whole day.” He grins.

“You’re a bad maknae.”

“I am, it’s because I love you a lot, noona!”

“Sungjong-ah, you should let go of me. I can’t breathe at all.”

“Oops, sorry. But noona, I can’t understand. Why did the two of you break up?”

“Don’t you know that he’s using me? He wants to date me to gain some popularity. I failed to keep up with it.”

“The INFINITE has been worrying a lot about him, he has turned moody. Noona, we are all surprised when he decided to date you.”

“Why? Didn’t he tell you about it?”

“Hyung is a very shy and quiet person. He hates sharing.”

“I guess I do know about it.”

The INFINITE was worrying about Myungsoo. He has been drowning himself inside his thoughts, wondering around, and being gloomy. It’s been a while since he turned this gloomy. His relationship with Jieun has improved a lot; it sent him to the world of happiness. They’re all shocked when the news of them breaking up spreads around, especially with Myungsoo confession that he’s the one who broken up with her.

Hoya was issued about the rumors by Jieun. He went to see her once they arrived, Jieun was nowhere to be found and Sungjong has gone out to search for Jieun. Their maknae has lots of love for Jieun; it’s not a lover type of love, but a sister-brother relationship. Hoya was the only one who knows the truth but choose to hide it inside.

Myungsoo passed lunch, he didn’t eat anything. He passed breakfast since he loses his appetite. He looks like a mess, despite the effort that the INFINITE made to cheer him up. The two has turned to complete strangers, although they sat closely next to each other. Jieun didn’t even look at him and from time to time, he would get depressed over it.

Hoya too, knows how much Jieun is upset. She hasn’t been smiling since morning, different from her usualself. She usually gets calm but cheerful. She always has that one charming faint smile on her lips, curving upward. But today, it seems to be missing. She looks depressed and rather sad. For some reason, the two shares the same feelings. Feelings they failed to conveyed.


A week after their break up, no body has recovered from the sudden shock. Jieun loses her smile and appetite. She rarely cooks at home, she usually order some food. She locked herself up inside her room, she rarely goes out. She becomes moody, her lips stop curving upward but curving downwards.

Myungsoo was still a mess up, he hasn’t moved on yet. Their over 6 months relationship has created so much bond between them. From spring to autumn, it feels great being together; with those childish fights, with those puffing cheeks, with those angered, and sometimes dates and friendly talks. He wanted to do it all again, rewinding time, and recreating memories. He wanted it so badly.

He hasn’t found anything to vent his anger and his disappointment. He doesn’t have the slightest clue on what to do. He sunk himself deep, inside his wondering thoughts, depressed self, hiding beneath the darkness. His gloomy aura returned, together with his extremely cold and arrogant personality. He never smiled, he never laughs, he has that one evil smirk on his face, all the time.

Suzy was happy when she first heard about their rumors of break up. When Jieun said yes to all the questions and Myungsoo decided to confirm it all, she immediately clings to Myungsoo, flirting around with him. Myungsoo was too depressed to do anything that he let her doing all the touches he hated most. He let her spill all those curses, dedicated to Jieun. He needs to control his temper so badly, for him not to slap her across her delicate face. He hates listening to her curses, especially when she’s mocking Jieun.

Jieun herself has known that Suzy will start flirting with Myungsoo. She didn’t bother to take care of them, she let them be. Although her heart aches, although it hurts her a lot, she didn’t want to get involve anymore. She will wait, a little longer, until all the feelings disappear. Until then, she will try her best to stay strong and stand tall. Until then, she will bear with the pain, not to shed any tears.

Her three best friends have put quite an effort to cheer her up. Wooyoung would do stupid things, dancing crazily, to earn a simple giggle from her. Yet it has resulted nothing but emptiness. Her laughs turn hollow, as they could feel how she slowly turned hollow inside. She’s missing something, without her wanting to admit it, despite the fact that it has turned rather clear.

Woohyun has put an effort on making her smile, simply by taking her home after school and invites her for various dates on weekend. Wooyoung took her for dates on Saturday evening; they usually went to watch some performances, hoping that she would gain her smile back. She hasn’t recovered from the incident a few weeks ago, the kissing incident, and now this has to happen. Jiyeon can’t do anything but trying to comfort her day by day, sharing things and stuff.

Jieun is a stubborn girl, although it is obvious that she has come to like Myungsoo, she refuses to accept reality. She slowly realizes that she loves him, but refuses to listen to her heart. She keeps killing her feelings, not letting it spark for a single second. She keeps thinking of him, each time she spaced out.

Jieun wasn’t the only one who’s suffering from jealousy. Myungsoo, too, has been handling his emotion well. He tried hard not to explode, despite the extra rumors that have been spreading around. It could be true or simply another made-up story that they creates but only Jieun knows the truth. She has turned too quiet lately, that it’s impossible to confirm the truth.

Their autumn festival performance was a huge succeed but followed by a huge shocked to the class. Hara was the one feeling extremely guilty regarding the break-up rumors; she apologizes on behalf on her acts and also the rest of the class. Although it was a bit too late, but it was something to be grateful about. At least, she knows her mistake. Not to mention, some rumors built up thanks to their succesfull performance, rumors that break the two even more.

People are starting to ships couples, asking them to date for real. Three days after their break up rumors spread, they started to speculate about their main reason for break up. Break up didn’t happen because of a simple trivial matter, those who truly loves each other won’t break up easily since they will try to understand things. And now, their speculation are worse that Myungsoo has to bear with the pain it creates.

“She must have loved Woohyun.”

“No, she must have loved Wooyoung more. She looks happy performing with him on stage.”

“Woohyun has known her for a long time, they fit each other perfectly.”

“No, Jieun and Wooyoung will form better couple.”

“Woohyun and Jieun, they’re very compatible with each other!”

“They should date!”

“No, Wooyoung and Jieun will form a very cute couple.”

“Yeah, they’re cute, better than Jieun and L.”

He has to listen to their complaints each day, how Jieun is better with another man rather than being with him. He needs to listen to how compatible they think Jieun and Wooyoung are, and knowing the fact that the two may share the same feelings. They’re each other first love after all. And if it’s true, Wooyoung has promised to propose her once she turned twenty-years old.

Woohyun, too, has feelings for Jieun. Jieun has rejected him before, but it’s not impossible for the two to fall in love. Woohyun has turned extremely close to Jieun and day by day, the got closer. Their surprising confession on stage has turned Myungsoo jealousy and angered on. Although he doubted Jieun meant it for real, but Woohyun must have meant it for real.

Hey, if they ever said I love you, will it ever reach each other hearts? They’re too far apart, they’re world apart now. One that wanted to extend his hand but too scared to do so, and one that keeps rejecting its urge to convey her feelings but was overwhelmed by it.


“See, her lips keep curving downward!” Wooyoung exclaimed, gazing at Jieun, who’s once again drowned in her thoughts.

“I know! I know! Stop pouting like a child!” Jiyeon hit his arms, annoyed by his childish act.

“Let’s make it curves upward!” He clapped, having a brilliant idea on mind.

“Yeah, give it a try, as if we manage to make her smile after that break up rumors.” Woohyun said sarcastically.

“Tsk… you’re underestimating me, young man.” Wooyoung replied.

“Yeah, yeah, give it a try then.”

“IU! My lovely Jieunnie~!” Wooyoung called as he approaches her.

She turned around, facing her dear childhood friend with a poker face. She didn’t smile at all; she tilted her head while staring at him in confusion. She had no idea on what he’s doing; she blinked a couple of times before he suddenly cupped her cheek and looked at her in a friendly gaze.

“Jieunnie~ smile~” He sang, pinching her cheek and curving it upwards to make her smile.

She blinked, as a creepy smile creep to her face. He stretched her cheek, causing her lip to curves upward and grins creepily. Wooyoung asked her to smile, again and again, stretching her cheek until it hurts. She blinked again, and Wooyoung stop pinching her cheek. It left red marks on her cheek.

“Why? Is something wrong?” Jieun asked.

“We’re trying hard to make you smile! You stop smiling ever since you break up with him!” Wooyoung puffed his cheek cutely.

“By pinching by cheek until it hurts? You are a genius, Oppa!” Jieun giggled, rubbing her painfully aching cheeks.

“Woah…” the three exclaimed in unison, after Jieun giggled. “You are a jenius, Wooyoung-ssi.”

“Why?” Jieun asked, laughing.

“You laugh! Jieunnie finally laugh!” Woohyun said happily, preparing a toast.

“I don’t find anything unique with me laughing.”

“Oh Gosh, you haven’t been smiling for days. You keep sulking!” Jiyeon exclaimed.

“Really?”

“Oh… Romeo, where’s my Romeo? You keep making that expression. Geez, you’re being gloomy these days. Is your Romeo that much important to you? Stop making that expression! I’m getting depressed because of you!” Jiyeon long scolding session starts.

“I think you’re exaggerating. I’m sorry, okay?”

“As a punishement, you will have to smile all day.” Wooyoung rubbed his chin, thinking for the perfect punishment.

“Oppa, aren’t that a little too much?”

“Yah! You’re going to make her sulked again!” Jiyeon scolded.

“Sorry.”


“Jieun-ah, is he meant something to you?” Woohyun turned the conversation upside down, while dragging Jieun with him, to the backyard just likes others day.

“What do you mean, Woohyun?”

“You keep thinking about him, you keep being upset over your break up, you keep getting jealous. Don’t you think you have feelings for him?”

“Do I? I don’t think I do have feelings for him. I don’t think I love him. I don’t think being jealous, being unable to shove him off my mind, being upset over break up are signs of love. I don’t think I’m feeling something for him.”

“Don’t you think it’s about time to accept reality and stop running?”

“What do you mean, Woohyun?”

“As much as I hate that guy, I won’t forbid you two to date. I’m helping you, Jieun. Think about it, think about what your hearts feels, think about what your brain thinks, don’t deject, don’t reject, and just accept.”


Are they truly had to do something like this? Things have turned out to be hard to Myungsoo. And now, when he finally decided to go out and have some lunch, after days of losing apetite, all he has to listen to are nonsense; nonsenses that hurt him a lot, things about Jieun, and how compatible she is to other man.

“Don’t you think Jieun fits Wooyoung better than L?”

“Nah, I don’t think so. Jieun and Woohyun are the best.”

“L doesn’t fit her at all, I think she deserves better.”

“L is good enough, but it seems he’s a bit too cold for her.”

“They made a perfect couple but Wooyoung formed better.”

“Geez, L is here, stop talking!”

They are all crazy, yes they must be. They can’t say something like that in front of him, right? They should know that he would be the one hurting. Oh no, he’s the one at fault. He told everyone that he’s the one who dump her, simply to protect his cool and arrogant image. She’s right, he has too much pride to let go. Maybe that’s why she decided to break up with him.

He wasn’t only upset about Woohyun and Wooyoung, but also about Sunjong. He has gotten a bit too close to Jieun. He suddenly left and approached Jieun and suddenly hugs her like a child. That Sungjong maknae, he left his hyung jealous without being able to do a thing about it. He felt like punching him, but he realizes it will only made things worse. The INFINITE might kicked him out.

He shouldn’t have decided to go out and have some lunch. He should have stayed inside the class or escaped by the window. Knowing Jieun has given him many ways to get out from stressed and the backyard is one of them. Although he badly wanted to forget his memories with Jieun, to make things easier, he can’t seem to let go of it. The more he tried, the more it get clear, and sometime his legs brought him to her house.

It was a bad timing for Jang Wooyoung, to pass by Myungsoo’s face without any greetings and treated him like a wind. Myungsoo was having a hard time handling his emotions and jealousy. And that day, must definitely be Wooyoung’s bad day, because in one swift movement, without any words, a fight has become the result of his jealousy.

“See! You can see the different! Of course, Wooyoung would fit her better.” A girl said in a lower tone of voice.

That was the trigger of his anger, that he suddenly grabbed Wooyoung by his collar and pinned him to the wall. With fearful glare in his eyes, he threaten the slightly taller boy, clenching his fist, ready to punch him, breaking his nose, and left wounds and scars on his body and face. He hates him, for winning Jieun’s heart, for causing them to break up, for being Jieun’s first love. He hates him for being the luckiest guy.

“They’re fighting! They’re fighting!” The crowd cheered.

Wooyoung was confused; he was shocked by Myungsoo’s strength. Sure, he’s stronger than him, but knowing he was strong was shocking enough. He tried to struggle free but failed, because before he manages to do so, a fist run across his face, punching him. It was a harsh one, his nose feels like breaking, blood has already stream down his nose after one single punch.

Then, without any warning, he continued punching him. His stomach, his face, his legs, his body, Myungsoo keeps hitting and kicking him, being ignorant to his constant groaning and yelping, his blood, and all the injury he had caused on him. He didn’t even give him time to regain consciousness. The punches come all at once, and the crazy crowd cheers for more.

“L, stop!”

“What are you doing? Stop, L!”

“Hyung, stop!”

The INFINITE all shouted, to stop the two of them fighting. Wooyoung wasn’t the one to blame, he has done nothing but be faithful to fate. He didn’t have strength to fight back and Myungsoo doesn’t seem to be ending his fight sooner. He still has those angers on his eyes, lust and anger, jealousy and disappointment. He didn’t stop, he keeps punching him.


“Hyung! Stop it!” Sungjong yelled.

Jieun had just exited the backyard, planning to grab some lunch before going back to classroom. She has been missing lunch for weeks, it has worried Woohyun, so he forces her to grab some lunch this afternoon. However, she was soon startled by the loud noise that greets her as soon as she stepped inside.

“Hyung, stop it!” Sunjong voice startled her.

She peeks, curious at what had just happened. The crowd gathers, and it was very noisy. They’re cheering and soon Jieun gasp at the sight. She froze, followed by Woohyun who freezes next to her.

“Shut up!” Myungsoo yelled. He punches Sungjong hard, beating the maknae in one blow. His nose bleed and his lips cracked. He fell backward and the Infinite who watches everything gasped.

Jieun almost got a heart attack because of it. She cringes, when she saw Sungjong groaning in pain. He seems too hopeless while Myungsoo has turned into a merciless demon. And soon, she found him beating another man, a man she cares a lot, Jang Wooyoung.

Wooyoung no longer looks like a human being. After being punched and beaten up, his looks are terrible. His nose bleeds, as if it had broken. His lips cracked, spilling blood non-stop. There were scratches on his skin, across his cheek. His face covered in blood and bruises, with one swollen eye. His body turned limp and weak, thanks to those powerful punches Myungsoo gave.

Jieun almost bursts to tears when she saw it. She whimpers, followed by sighs. She gasp, covering to stop herself from yelling.

“Woohyun… Woohyun… what should I do?” Her voice trembled.

“Kim Myungsoo, stop! I dare you to continue!” He ran, attempting to stop the boys from fighting.

However, that childish and immature man didn’t stop beating the slightly taller boy. He didn’t listen. Woohyun badly wants to avoid punching him, he fears Jieun might get hurt too. But it as too much for him to handle, he was famous for being hot-tempered and rather impatient.  He ended up punching him on his face, until he went down in one blow.

“Sungjong, are you okay?” Jieun ran toward the younger boy.

“Noona!” He groaned, covering his bleeding nose.

“Let me see it.” Jieun carefully removes his hand and checked his injury.

“We need to bring you to the clinic.” Jieun cringe when she saw his nose bleeding and his face covered in bruise with his lips cracking.

“Could you stand? Please hang on for a moment.” Jieun helps him to stand before leaving him for Wooyoung.

Jieun stands, going to Wooyoung with the word worried, written all over her face, she slowly approaches him, who leans his back against the wall, breathing heavily. He felt weak and the injury he suffers started to ache. He groaned.

“Wooyoung, you’re…” Jieun whispers.

“I’m fine, IU. I’m fine, don’t worry.” He replied between his constant groaned.

“Could you stand up? I will bring you to the clinic. You need medication.”

“Just let me rest for a bit.”

“Wooyoung, we need to stop you from bleeding!” She cried.

“I told you I’m fine, IU. I’m fine, Jieun. You’re freaking out!” He could see tears in her eyes.

“Please, Wooyoung. I will help you to stand up.”

She lift him up with much effort, Woohyun helps her for a bit. He slung his arms across her neck, weighing up all his weight to her petite body, asking for supports. His body turned numb, barely able to walk. The conversation they had just now has drained all the energy he has.

“Could you please help Sungjong?”

“Sure.”

Her petite body caused her body to lose balance from time to time. They has quite a significant difference in weight, Jieun and Wooyoung are, although it’s very understandable and normal. However, it turns to be burden for Jieun, since she has to be able to support his body and weight. She stumbles multiple times, much to his embarrasement.

Myungsoo was regretting what he had done. He never thought of Jieun, seeing what he had done. He has hurt her again and now it has turned impossible for her to forgive him. He called out her name only to get a pang in his heart.

“Jieun-ah…”

“L-ssi, I’m very disappointed in you.”


“I will be gentle, but it will sting a bit.” Jieun said, as she treated both Wooyoung and Sungjong wound.

The Infinite were watching. They help her around. The nurse didn’t come today, leaving all the responsibility to Jieun, the only girl and the only person who knows how to treat such a wound.

“Ouch,” Wooyoung yelped.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Jieun tried to be gentler.

“No, no. I’m fine.”

“I’m the one who should be sorry. Because of me all of you got I trouble. I’m very sorry.” She hung her head low.

“Noona, there’s nothing to be sorry about.”

“No, I’m sorry. I’m very sorry. I’m very sorry to all of you, for getting you into troubles, for getting all of you to difficult situations, I’m very sorry. This is all my fault.” Her voice trembles.