Chapter 40: MyungYeol Epilogue

He's My Soul

 

I just seriously spent four minutes trying to figure out how to spell "epilogue". like okay, so the g goes before the u and the e. but what's the point of the u and the e anyways? shouldn't it just be "epi-log"? because wouldn't epilogue be, like, "epi-log-yewwww"? like c'mon, english, make sense please.

on another note, this is the last chapter and basically the end of hms. about 2k words of me procrastinating on hw. 

As a housewarming gift a few months back, Sunggyu (basically Woohyun, since Sunggyu didn’t make money anymore) had bought Myungsoo and Sungyeol a large, 30”x50” back-and-front whiteboard that was able to roll on its own, along with an entire set of whiteboard markers (in the end, though, Myungsoo just used black and Sungyeol wasted all the ink of the colorful ones drawing random things).

                They’d left the whiteboard in the living room until four months into living in the apartment when Sungyeol and Myungsoo had both made the decision to cover the entire house, minus the bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen, in whiteboard material.

                The walls all became slick, white boards with the occasional magnetic basket that carried a set amount of makers (mostly four black just in case. The others were Sungyeol’s decision, and they always varied since they always ran out of ink anyways). Sure, some days more than others their apartment reeked of the smell of Expo markers, but they both knew it was worth it.

                (Just as long as they didn’t get cancer or something of the sort).

                Usually, about every last Friday of the month actually, Sungyeol would stop by a grocery store (ever since he’d stopped being an idol, his appearance was no longer spazzed over and he was no longer stalked as much) and buy a very large amount of magnets. His favorites were, obviously, the colorful ones, but he’d made sure to always buy simple, round black ones for Myungsoo because he knew his boyfriend preferred those.

                The magnets were usually for when Sungyeol was sitting somewhere where there wasn’t a whiteboard and he suddenly remembered something that he’d needed to jot down immediately (because of course he always forgot it right away) on a piece of paper that he’d later stick to the whiteboard in the living room. It was usually a small post-it, a terribly, terribly ripped napkin, or a piece of toilet paper (well, there wasn’t a white board in the bathroom and everybody knows you think the most in the bathroom), so Sungyeol would take as many colorful markers as he could and scribble all around that area just to get Myungsoo to notice it when he woke up.

                Sometimes when they had conversations, Sungyeol would just be laying on the couch, upside down or normal (as normal as Lee Sungyeol could get, that was) and Myungsoo would be criss-crossed on the floor, writing on any white board around him as his older boyfriend replied vocally. Other times, when Sungyeol felt like it, he’d join Myungsoo on the ground, take a bright marker (most likely pink or orange), and write along with him.

                They always had a system; after the other had read something, they’d cross it out so it’d be less confusing when a new message was written up. Myungsoo usually forgot to do so, but if Sungyeol was talking to him, it’d be fine because Sungyeol always watched him write anyways. Other times, though, when Sungyeol was writing alongside him and saw that he’d forgotten to cross something out, the older male would reach over and cross out the black scribbling with a bright pink marker.

                (Myungsoo always got mad at that because it turned whatever color marker Sungyeol was using into an awkward, darker, and distorted color. Sungyeol didn’t really care.)

                Over the months, though, what Sungyeol had learned the most was to pay attention. Pay attention to everything Myungsoo touched, pay attention to the way Myungsoo’s facial expression changed, pay attention to the way Myungsoo did anything. No matter what anybody else though, Sungyeol knew that each time Myungsoo did something different, he was also feeling something different. If Sungyeol had ever accidentally-not-on-purpose say something funny, he’d always have to make sure to crane his neck to see if his boyfriend was smiling, or clutching his stomach with silent laughter just pouring out. Those were the things you couldn’t hear, unfortunately.

                If anybody thought their life was peaceful, though, they’d be dead wrong. Sungyeol felt as though he should’ve made enough noise for the both of them, so he doubled the laughter (it wasn’t so hard to do so; he felt as if he’d been holding back all these years), he doubled the tripping and the crying as a result of that (it wasn’t on purpose though, but to anybody else he’d say it was), and he doubled the talking. If nodding and shaking his head was all Myungsoo could contribute to a conversation in the kitchen without any whiteboards, then it was enough for the two of them because even if Myungsoo could talk, they both doubted he could fit anything in between Sungyeol’s blabber.

                What was the worst of it, though, was when they fought. They rarely did though because Myungsoo was a decently patient person for a mute, and Sungyeol did anything he could, everything he could, to lower his temper and understand that sometimes, he just had to give in.

                The thing was, sometimes Myungsoo couldn’t stand being so patient anymore, and a hot-tempered person like Lee Sungyeol could only hold in his anger for so long. And that’s when everything went downhill, because Myungsoo could give him the “silent treatment” without even trying. He could just lay in bed, turn on his side, and stare at the blank wall and there was nothing Sungyeol could do about it.

                Sungyeol knew Myungsoo could hear him (the boy wasn’t deaf, he was mute – there was a clear difference) but he also knew that if he didn’t do anything, Myungsoo would just stay the way he would. There was something that only the two of them knew, and that was that Sungyeol needed Myungsoo a whole lot more than Myungsoo needed Sungyeol.

                (People usually thought different, but that was the solid truth. Without Myungsoo, Sungyeol literally could not survive. Without Sungyeol, Myungsoo would probably end up killing himself, but at least he’d be able to go on the first few days. Sungyeol would just crash and burn in the first half hour.)

                That was when Sungyeol’s awful, awful art skills came in. Though he wouldn’t call his “skills” awful if you’d asked him – after all, he’d managed to pass his senior visual arts class with a perfect C+. A passing grade, actually.

                He’d go out and spend his entire month’s worth on Expo markers and any other brand markers that he could find, really, of any color. Then, he’d go home, put on a mask (just in case, you know. Those markers smelled disgusting sometimes), and draw to his heart’s content all over every single surface of the living room. When he felt diligent, he’d even roll out Sunggyu and Woohyun’s whiteboard from inside his bedroom, take one of Myungsoo’s beloved black markers, and write a long- apology-fused-love note on both sides.

                The hardest part was always getting Myungsoo out of the bed and into the living room to show off his masterpieces, usually because Myungsoo always knew what he was in for (admittedly, he hated the smell of Expo markers) and when the boy refused he budge, he damn right refused to budge. It was when Sungyeol would come over the other side, having to pull the bed slightly away from the wall, squeezing into that little gap to see Myungsoo’s face.

                He would bend down, say sorry for whatever stupid thing he did (it was usually always something like not doing something when Myungsoo asked him to, forgetting to buy food, even coming home late after drinking out with Woohyun – which, disappointingly, he actually did a lot), and do whatever he could to coax Myungsoo out of their bed.

                The younger could smell the scent of Expo markers just flying off Sungyeol’s body and when he finally couldn’t take it anymore, he was stand up and go out of his bed – each time being amazed at what was in store for him. It fascinated him, really, how Sungyeol could always be so damn creative when he wanted to be.

                Once, Sungyeol had drawn out the entire scenery of how they met – in the recording booth of Lee Entertainment with his dad there, when Myungsoo had faked being the new janitor. Then there was the phone, with an all too mysterious “L” as its owner. The cabin, the kidnapping, the meeting of Sungjong (still Sungyeol’s #1 fanboy and fan in general), the bonding of everybody. The first time Sungyeol sang outside in the sun, the first time Myungsoo could finally admit that he had a little something-or-the-other for Sungyeol, the first time they kissed. Everything, drawn out and depicted with the horrible artwork of Lee Sungyeol, but still just so amazing because it portrayed something no other artist could ever, no matter how good.

                Another time, Sungyeol had just taken a bunch of different markers and wrote a super duper long story about how they were going to grow up and go to college next year (they’d just graduated high school last year – well, Sungyeol did while Myungsoo remained at home due to medical leave), where they’d meet a ton of people that would hate him but love Myungsoo. They’d go to school and Sungyeol would fail every test and never do his homework but still love it because, well, just because that was him. Myungsoo would probably pass everything without even trying because, uh, he was Kim Myungsoo.

                Myungsoo usually got really emotional and would just break down right there, hugging Sungyeol as hard as he could possibly and literally mutter silent thank you’s and I love you’s into his boyfriend’s ear. Sungyeol, though, could always feel the hot breath on his ear, so he always just giggled and bit and then nodded.

                The next day the entire gang would usually come over because they knew whenever the two had a fight – Sungyeol would always call each and every single one of them, asking which colored whiteboard markers were the best, and they’d all know to come the next day.

                (After all, how else would Sungyeol’s wonderful murals of fowl-smelling whiteboard markers be erased?)
                Ara and JR were still together and going strong, so whenever Ara was there, JR was expected to be also. Rumor was that Ara was pregnant, but neither of them would ever admit it without giving out wedding invitations first.

                Woohyun always came with liquor that he’d have to leave outside due to Myungsoo’s (literally) silent protest, but Sunggyu could always manage to cheer him up again. That was just their thing.

                Since they were too busy with their idol life and debuting to do anything much, Lime was assigned as Hoya and Dongwoo’s (not only their manager but also their) personal chauffer. Not that she wanted to be called that, but that’s what everybody called her anyways. She’d drive them everywhere and get them food wherever they wanted it. She wouldn’t actually say it, but she did spoil them a lot.

                Fei was the one that usually came with food, since she knew how to cook the best (or she was the only one that knew how to legit cook, either way worked fine). She never, ever cleaned the whiteboards because 1) she knew how horribly messy that was and 2) because she always made a beeline for the kitchen, where she set up food for all of them.

                Sungjong and Hwayoung could usually come only if it was after school hours, or they’d arrive late when school was finally over. When Hwayoung’s secret had been spilled, everything that she predicted would happen happened – it didn’t matter what bad reputation her father’s (or now her older sister’s) company had received, all her y schoolmates still wanted a chance at fame.

                So, as one of her last requests to her father, Jonghyun had transferred his daughter and her boyfriend to a private high school that was so prestigious, none of them had ever even heard of Lee Sungyeol, Nam Woohyun, Kim Sunggyu, Jang Dongwoo, Fei, or Lee Entertainment in general.

                Sungyeol loved these moments second best, when everybody was all crowded around his and Myungsoo’s tiny kitchen table, yelling and screaming and reaching over to pick up different food with their chopsticks, catching up with everything that had been happening with their busy lives. Myungsoo, despite the fact that he couldn’t contribute to the conversation, still smiled and gleefully listened to everybody, his mouth only opening to laugh or take in food. That was also the one time Sungyeol wouldn’t have a say in their talk – he was all too busy just sitting there, watching the beauty that was Kim Myungsoo.

                However, the best of the moments were at night, in bed, when everything was silent and dark and only the smell of Expo markers lingered in the air. When it was so quiet that Sungyeol didn’t even know if he himself was able to talk anymore because he was just so scared of trying and breaking the silence.

                Sungyeol would usually curl up to Myungsoo, lay his head on Myungsoo’s shoulder blade (because apparently the younger slept on his back, like one of those perfect movie people. Sungyeol just couldn’t ever stand to sleep that still) and Myungsoo’s one arm would wrap around him, holding him close.

                And then no matter how tired either of them were, no matter what they’ve been through, Myungsoo would always bend down a bit so that any part of his lips touched Sungyeol’s skin, and then he’d mouth I love you with so much articulation that Sungyeol swore he could hear his boyfriend’s melodious voice that had disappeared long ago already. 

 

 

wow you guise it's over

hms is finally over wtf

uh so I get that a lot of questions weren't answered from the previous chapter - I'll get to those sometime later. 

I just realized after writing this, this doesn't have any dialogue. whoa.

(OMFG THAT TOO WHY DOES DIALOGUE HAVE A 'UE' AT THE END THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE ENGLISH. IT JUST DOESN'T.)

if you know my chaptered ff, there's always this super long author's rant chapter as the last one. this ff isn't discluded from that tradition, so expect a superrrr duperrrrr long one in a few minutes.

for now tho, bye guise :) ily~

<3 evieeeeee

[[c:14]]