Chapter 3

He's My Soul

To all my YC readers, I'm not updating that story today :3 it's because after writing ALL THIS (it's, like, 5 pages on Microsoft Word. It's not a lot, but a lot more than my usual chapters :]), it's kind of hard to just skip to another story about the same characters, because all their attitudes get messed up and everything's just bizarre. XD I'm SO SORRY ._. :) (updating today because no need to pick up my grandma~~) 

Sungyeol sighed. He hated seeing one of his best friends this depressed.

            Sunggyu was sitting on his bed, hugging a pillow and rocking back and forth. In front of him was a laptop, and he was watching old reruns of his wins on music shows.

            The last time Sungyeol had seen this side of Sunggyu was a few months ago, and also because a certain person named Nam Woohyun.

            Kim Sunggyu always got at least two wins for each of his comebacks. He was one of the only mainstream artist that all ‘old’ people in South Korea voted for. Sunggyu had been on a strike – he was about to get his 10th win with the song he was promoting, Because, but then, some rookie decided to stroll along and beat him that week with another song, Time. It was Sunggyu’s last week promoting, too, and he was really hoping to get a win. Nam Woohyun went on to get 3 more, not as much as Sunggyu, but he still beat him. As a rookie. Apparently young, good-looking boys singing ballad songs solo was rare.

            “NO!” Sunggyu screamed, hiding beneath Sungyeol’s covers.

            “What’s wrong now, hyung?”

            “SKIP IT! IT’S THAT EPISODE!” Sunggyu cried out, rolling off of the bed and to the ground, still hugging the pillow.

            Sungyeol walked over to skip it then, grabbing his jacket, went over to open the door.

            “YAH! LEE SUNGYEOL! WHERE’RE YOU GOING?!”

            “TO TALK TO MY DAD. I seriously cannot take anymore of this…”

 

Dongwoo groaned as he approached the high school. It was dark, but the lights signified that teachers were still there. Seriously, what the freak was Lee Sungyeol doing at a high school?!

            The door were, obviously, unlocked. The halls were dark, but Dongwoo didn’t really care. He took out his cell phone and began to fiddle around with it, noticing that it was already 10 PM. Well obviously, seeing as he was hiding behind every lamppost and wall possible not to get recognized.

            Still walking, something caught his eye. On the right, attached to the billboard, was a poster. An advertisement for the dance club, that they needed more members.

            The trainee’s eyes immediately brightened. This school had a dance club?! Well, of course high schools would, but…he didn’t know!

            Scanning the details, he noticed that it was in the auditorium. Auditorium? Oh! He’d seen that when he walked past the hallway!

            Dongwoo’s eyes brightened as he stuffed his cell phone back into his pocket and ran the opposite way, looking for an auditorium.

            When he stopped, he noticed that it had been obvious – why hadn’t he noticed it before? It was the only room in the school thus far that had lights on…and even more obvious, there was music blaring from it. Well, duh. He should’ve noticed it.

            Being a very intensive dancer himself, Dongwoo always had an interest in dance clubs and groups. Sure, he had his own dance studio at the company and his own group of backup dancers, but it just wasn’t the same. Dongwoo still needed to practice on his singing, but his rapping and dancing was perfection, so that was the only reason the company allowed him to have predebut MV’s, unlike the rest of the trainees. Lee Jonghyun was known for his eye for talent, so he always separated Dongwoo from the other trainees – he gave the boy his own studio, along with his own backup dancers.

            The last time Dongwoo was actually in a dance group where everybody was treated as equals was probably in the 3rd grade. That was the age when he first entered a local public dance school, and in a rapid amount of time, he grew to be better than everybody else. Since then, he was never an equal. He was at a higher level, even as a trainee.

            He stared through the window; there was only one boy in there. All the lights were on, which seemed like a waste, but it definitely wasn’t. It all reflected off the walls to brighten the dancer’s sharp moves perfectly.

            This student was dancing to one of Lee Sungyeol’s songs, BTD, one of the more intense-dancing songs. The artist himself spent weeks perfecting the scorpion dance move, the same went for Dongwoo, who had learned it just for the fun of it. What he didn’t know, though, was that the boy dancing inside the auditorium only spent a few days before pinning it down completely.

            Dongwoo pushed the door open, but a nanosecond later due to smart thinking, he managed to back away and shut the door.

            Inside the auditorium, Hoya heard the door. He stopped dancing and turned off the stereo, glancing toward what made the noise. Was there somebody there? There had to be somebody there, the door wouldn’t have opened otherwise. Unless there was wind…but right now, it wasn’t wind season. There was somebody there.

            Hoya wasn’t stupid. He wasn’t going to be a naïve idiot and call out “Hello”. That was what scared chicks in cliché horror movies did. Pshh, big whoop it did for them.

            Outside, Dongwoo could hear the footsteps coming closer and closer to him. Why was he so stupid? Why did he try to open the door? How on earth could he forget that he was the most expected artist to debut, that he was almost equaled Lee Sungyeol and Kim Sunggyu in popularity, that he was Jang Dongwoo, the infamous trainee from Lee Entertainment? He wasn’t allowed to be out of the company without protection; he was only doing this for Sungyeol because he knew how stressed his dongsaeng got with trying to be smart academically as well as succeeding in the entertainment industry.

            Carefully, he tried to move away when a voice appeared.

            “Don’t you dare take a step. I can hear you from here. Who’re you?”

            Dongwoo’s eyes widened as he cleared his throat. He pulled his fedora hat a little lower and covered his mouth with his arm, answering in a muffled tone, “Uh…new student…”

            “Oh really? Are you interested in joining the dance club?” The boy’s voice had brightened right away.

            “Uh…no…” Dongwoo managed to sputter out. “Not…fluent in Korean…will go!”

            Right away, he took the initiative to run out of the building, promising to himself that he had to meet this boy again someday, just never take a step back into this high school again.

            When the ‘boy’ had heard the running footsteps, he sighed and opened the door. It was all dark, as usual – nobody was here except for the select teachers. Nobody in the dance club was into dance as much as he was. Sure, they liked it, but not enough to put effort and extra hours to practice. They mostly took it for credits and because there was no teacher.

            Hoya was about to close the door when something caught his eye – on the ground, something shiny. He bent down to pick it up and saw that it was a necklace with a silver chain and a golden charm that shaped into the letters “JD”.

            “JD?” Hoya muttered, carefully examining again. Without another thought, he shrugged and put it in his pocket.

 

Hwayoung yawned, looking around the house. She’d been watching TV for the past few hours, and seriously, her life was getting boring. The only excitement so far was when her brother rushed past her to go to the company, and even that wasn’t so exciting. Maybe she should’ve gone to school.

            As a smile crept on her face, she figured going to school was a good idea. Going to school = seeing Sungjong, the one boy that she’d been crushing on since she started high school. Just thinking about him made her have a little spasm.

            Grabbing her cell phone, she scrolled through the contacts to find Sungjong’s name. Just to look at his name and number in it made her kick her legs in the air, a smile growing wider by the second.

            Then, all of a sudden, as if by fate, her phone rang. She stopped kicking around to look at the caller ID…Sungjong? Was Sungjong really calling her?!

            She stared for a second, sitting back up normally. Meh. It was probably a prank call…the popular little brother of Kim Myungsoo wouldn’t call her…or would he? Maybe…no. She was just a regular kid at school. She didn’t stand out…did she? She must’ve, if she had Sungjong’s number in her phone! But...what if he only got her number for prank calling purposes?

            After a few more seconds of pondering, Hwayoung finally decided to pick up the phone. Her breath was shaky, but she didn’t care.

            “Hwayoung?” Sungjong’s voice vibrated over the phone.

            She died. Like, died in pure happiness. Sungjong was talking to her. HER. He just said her name. HER FREAKING NAME. It didn’t matter if she died now. She had officially fulfilled her entire bucket list for her entire freaking life.

            “Hello? You there? Helloooo?”

            Oh, My. God. He was asking if she was there. He wanted to talk to her.

            THIS WAS EVEN BETTER.

            “Hwayoung? Hello?”

            HE JUST SAID HER NAME AGAIN.

            “If you don’t answer, I’m going to hang up.”

            …AND HE WANTED HER TO ANSWER. HOW MUCH BETTER WAS THIS GOING TO GET?

            “Seriously, I can hear you breathing, Hwayoung. Are you there?”

            HE COULD HEAR HER BREATHING. HE WAS LISTENING TO HER BREATHING.

            AND HE JUST SAID HER NAME AGAIN. What was this, HEAVEN?!

            “Hwayoung-ah, if you didn’t want to talk to me, you could’ve just hung up. You didn’t have to pick up.”

            HE JUST CALLED HER ‘HWAYOUNG-AH’.

            Wait. WHAT?

            Of course she wanted to talk to him. She’d been waiting her entire life to talk to him.

            “Seriously, Hwa –“

            “I’M HERE!”

            “Oh, finally!” Sungjong’s voice sounded relieved. “You going to stay so I can talk to you?”

            “Y – yeah.”

            “So I was wondering, are you free next week?” For a second, Sungjong’s voice lost its confidence.

            WAIT. HE JUST ASKED HER…

            IF SHE WAS FREE NEXT WEEK. WHAT?

            “OF COURSE I AM!” She screamed before catching herself. “Uh, I mean, yeah. I’m free. Everyday of the week. Any day. At all. I’m free. 24/7. Anything.”

            Sungjong let out a cute little laugh in which Hwayoung had to put the phone on mute for a few seconds to spazz about how adorable he sounded.

            “Good, because I heard that you’re a Lee Sungyeol fan. Right? I got these two tickets, and I was wondering if you wanted to go to the concert with me.”

            Hwayoung froze. Her outburst ended. Lee Sungyeol? “Uh. Um. Yeah. About that…I’m not sure if I’m free.”

            “What? But I thought that you said you were free.” Sungjong’s voice sounded hurt for a second, but there was no way that Hwayoung could agree.

            “You know…Um…I just looked at my calendar! Yeah! Uh, it’s on Tuesday, right? Yeah, not free. At all…you know, family stuff.”

            Please say that my voice is believable, she begged, because she knew, unlike her brother, her acting . Big time.

            “Oh. Alright…I guess I’ll just ask my brother, then.”

            “YEAH. I’M SO SORRY, SUNGJONG! Maybe…maybe we could…like…go for raymun sometime?” Her voice came out in a little squeak, but she couldn’t help it. Sungjong had basically asked her on a date with him, and she had to decline for the sole reason he didn’t know who she truly was.

            “Oh, of course!” Sungjong answered, although his voice still had that lingering pain sound. “Wednesday, maybe? I’m free then.”

            “Yeah! I’m really sorry, Oppa. I’ll make it up for you, okay?” Hwayoung really didn’t know where the newfound confidence had come from.

            “Sure!” his voice sounded a bit more smiley now. “I’ll see you at school tomorrow, okay?”

            “Alright,” Hwayoung agreed before she heard the dial tone. Dropping her phone on the ground, she slid down and felt like crying. UGH. All of a sudden, she really wished her dad didn’t hire trusty security guards that were family-friends.

 

“Are we done yet?” Myungsoo complained from the inside of the recording booth.

            Jonghyun giggled a bit, shaking his head. “Naw. You’ve been asking that question for the past hour, Myungsoo. We’re not going to be done for a long time. But that reminds me – I ordered some chicken for you. It’s hot, but I’ll go reheat it if you want me to.”

            Myungsoo just gave him a little smile and nodded.

            “Do you want anything to drink?”

            “Water’s fine.”

            Jonghyun nodded, then stood up to go into the next room.

            Mentally yelling in his head, Myungsoo took off the earphones and sat in the corner of the room. No matter how much he hated this, all of it, he couldn’t hate Lee Jonghyun. He was the nicest man possible, and he was like a second father to Myungsoo. Heck, he technically was Myungsoo’s dad, seeing as his own didn’t care about him. Jonghyun always brought catalogues during break and told Myungsoo to pick anything he wanted, the older man would buy it for him. He’d let him order any food he wanted, and if Myungsoo was too busy, he just ordered chicken. The teenager couldn’t think of the last time he wasn’t fed and pampered at the studio.

            He didn’t know why Jonghyun did all this. The CEO already paid him, and he already threatened to destroy Myungsoo’s company if he didn’t cooperate. He had no reason to feed him, or even to be nice to him at all.

            Without him noticing, Jonghyun had came back, walking into the studio to hand him the box of to-go and a pair of chopsticks.

            “Here. Eat, okay? You’ve been looking thin lately.”

            Myungsoo nodded, knowing that Jonghyun would be the only person that noticed, or even cared to worry about him. His parents didn’t, and his brother was too into Lee Sungyeol to notice anything else surrounding him.

            “Are your parents going strict on you again?” Jonghyun asked, sitting down next to Myungsoo. The distraught in his voice was much too obvious.

            “I got an 86 on my last math test,” Myungsoo answered in between bites. “I guess I just wasn’t feeling good that day…it was the first B in a while.”

            “It’s okay.” Jonghyun tried his best not to laugh – if his son had ever managed to get an 86, he’d buy Sungyeol his own island. “Hey! Slow down, don’t choke. Water?”

            Myungsoo gladly accepted the bottle of cold water. After taking a sip, he handed the bottle back. “I just need to study more, that’s all.”

            “Don’t stress yourself out too much. It’s not good for you – Sungyeol’s concert is coming up!”

            With a side-glare from Myungsoo, Jonghyun backed away a bit. “Sorry! I know, I’m sorry, I really am, Myungsoo…you know I care for you.”

            “No, you care about my voice,” Myungsoo muttered unintentionally before taking another bite of chicken.

            “Don’t say that, Myungsoo,” Jonghyun said quietly. “You know how I feel about this…I’m sorry. But I do care for you. You’re like the son I never had.”

            “You have a son already.”

            “Alright, the smart son. Sungyeol’s not the brightest person, you know.”

            Myungsoo managed to let out a small chuckle before capping the now empty to-go box. He handed it back to Jonghyun, who in turn, gave him the bottle.

            The man stood up and said, “I’m going to throw this out, okay? When I come back, we’ll re-record Nothing’s Over, and then we’ll get to the new song.”

            Myungsoo nodded, watching Jonghyun walk out the door. He turned back to the earphones and was about to put them back on when he heard the door open.

            “Appa?”

            Right away, Myungsoo turned around. He looked through the glass and saw Lee Sungyeol standing there, his eyebrows furrowed.

            “Okay, not Appa,” Sungyeol muttered. He walked forward and asked, “Who’re you?”

            Myungsoo had to use all his guts not to walk out and punch the guy for even daring to talk to him. Before he could utter a word, though, Jonghyun walked back into the room. “Oh! Sungyeol…uh…what’re you doing here?”

            “I wanted to talk to you,” Sungyeol said suspiciously, his eyes still planted on Myungsoo. “You know…about WS…wait, who’s that guy in the recording booth?”

            Jonghyun immediately walked into the room to pull Myungsoo out. “Um. He’s our new cleaning boy. Yeah. He was cleaning the booth…”

            “Really? That young?” Sungyeol shrugged, then stuck his hand out. “HI! I’m Lee Sungyeol! What’s your name?”

            Myungsoo just glared at the hand that was extended to him. He pushed himself out of Jonghyun’s grasp and stayed still.

            “Alright…” Sungyeol said, backing away.

            That just made Myungsoo’s hate for the pop star grow even more. They were in the same class. In the same ing class, with only about 11 other people. Yet Sungyeol didn’t even notice him?! Really?! Sure, school’s important. But he didn’t bother to take a look at his classmates?

            “Hey, Appa, what’s…this…?” Sungyeol’s voice trailed off as he grabbed the piece of paper on the table. “Kim Myungsoo…who’s…that…”

            He blinked a little, then looked back at Myungsoo. “Is this your paycheck?”

            Myungsoo looked up at Jonghyun, who grabbed it from Sungyeol’s hands. “Yeol! You have no right to –“

            “He gets paid $100,000 per hour in USD?” Sungyeol asked, a little dazed. “What…?”

            “He’s a very diligent cleaning boy!” Jonghyun said nervously. His son was gullible enough, he knew. “Have you noticed how much shinier everything is? Right? Yeah!”

            Sungyeol thought about it for a second, then shrugged. “I guess…” He didn’t even know how much $100,000 was in Korean currency. Was it a lot? He guessed so, if Myungsoo’s cleaning really was good. “WAIT!”

            “What?”

            “You…your dad’s the boss of Kim Industries, right?” Sungyeol asked, looking at Myungsoo. “I’ve seen the pictures.”

            Myungsoo didn’t answer, he just stood there. Jonghyun, on the other hand, just nodded.

            “What’s the new heir of Kim Industries doing working here as a cleaning boy?” Sungyeol asked, looking at his dad.

            “He really likes cleaning!” Jonghyun grinned. “Right, Myungsoo? He practically begged me for the job! Heh…maybe…he wanted to get closer to you…?”

            He looked at Myungsoo, a little hopeful, but there was no way that Myungsoo would fall for it. He hated Sungyeol too much to even pretend to like him.

            “Maybe my brother’s a huge fan of yours,” Myungsoo said, grabbing his blazer that had his school’s logo on it, “but frankly, I don’t give a about you.”

            And with that, he walked out the door.

            “Appa…he’s another one of those anti-fans…”

            “So?”

            “Shouldn’t you fire him if he hates me so much?”

            “HE MAKES EVERYTHING SHINY! DON’T YOU WANT SHINY THINGS?”          

 

Woohyun WILL be making an appearance soon. Very. :3 and Sungjong, too, NOT electronically. I'm sorry for the fail humor at the end XD and Hwayoung's reaction to Sungjong's call. The entire time I was writing that, I just imagined what it would be like if Myungsoo called me and how I would react XDD (shuddup, let's pretend he can speak English). LAWLS my sister said that YaDong reminded her of Cinderella. YES, IT SHALL PLAY OUT AS CINDERELLA. MINUS THE GODMOTHER AND STEPMOMS AND STEPSISTERS AND BALLS AND PRINCES. (no, it actually won't XDD) Is Sungjong going to succeed in asking Myungsoo to the concert? :DD lol and Myungyeol met~~

COMMENT REPLIES. :D

@KyuWookBiasedStalker: yes, yes he does :) HAHAHA they are XDD...omg...good idea. FREE CONCERT~~[I would DIE if Myungsoo sang to me...] LOL it's a nice username. Just confusing :3 lol but I know what it means, dunt worry. :P

@asdfghjklomg: am I? THANK YOUU. *starts singing* NAEGA JEIL JAL NAGA NAEGA JEIL JAL NAGA*

@BalancedCuppyCake: was that good enough for you? Even if Dongwoo ran off? XDD yes, Myungsoo gets paid, $100,000 an hour. Good enough? (I was going to do, like, 100 but Nhi's like NOOO MYUNGIE'S VOICE IS 100,000...OR ONE MILLION.) and like. No Woohyun yet D: so let's wait for their drama.

@kpopluv7: LOL I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not! D: LOL do you? AWW THANKYOU~~♥

@Grimada: What? O_O really? HAHAHA THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!♥ :)

@inspirit-kay: MYUNGYEOL MET. YADONG ISH MET. WOOGYU STILL NEEDS TO MEET XDD :) I updated ^^

@SaranghaeSuJuChullie: uh...because Gyu's stubborn and because of the reason above ^^ lol...Soo Soo...still hates Yeollie...XDD AND YaDong kinda met XD I updated ^^

@TakuShin: Still hates him XDD

still 8? HAHA ♥ thanks for the love, you guys ^^ I'll try updating tomorrow, and for any of my other fanfic readers, I'll be updating that story too! (I'll write them in different time spans so that I don't get all confuzzled T.T or I'll write YC first XD)  ♥ byebye~~ hope your Friday is going well!