Chapter 32

He's My Soul

 

The result of me sitting in a car at 2 in the morning by myself. 

Hwayoung feebly stepped out from her father’s office, bouncing on her heels. The sound of her father screaming was behind her but she managed to ignore it.

                She did it, she finally did it. Told her father that Sungyeol wasn’t doing his concert and, big surprise, he looked like he wanted to tear somebody apart.

                With everything she had, Hwayoung was able to escape midway through Jonghyun’s breakdown before she could be questioned as to how she even knew. That was probably the last thing even on her father’s mind.

                However, three minutes later when she was standing in front of her bedroom door, Hwayoung was still conflicted and confused more than ever as to how Sungjong knew about Sungyeol. She took her phone out and stared at it, kept staring as if hoping his name would pop up.

                After just staring, she felt plainly stupid. Hwayoung kicked her door open and fell onto her bed, shouting into her pillow why, how did Sungjong even know?!

                If so, it wouldn’t be long for him to connect two and two, finally resulting in…yes, Ryu Hwayoung wasn’t even a real person.

                When the sound of her brother singing drowned out her sobbing, Hwayoung reached over and read the caller ID through her blurry eyes.

 

Oppa

 

                Sungyeol. Oh God, what was Sungyeol doing calling her now?

                Either way, Hwayoung sat up straight and shook her head back and forth, forcing everything stupid to go out of her in order to answer with full coherence.

                “Hello?”

                “Hwayoung?”

                That voice, the voice that she had been begging to call her ever since her first day of high school, came over the line instead of the voice she’d been trained to recognize since she was born.

                “Sungjong?” Hwayoung blinked a bit, holding onto the phone with two hands just to make sure her right hand wouldn’t drop it in pure shock. “What are you doing with Sungyeol’s phone?!”     

                There was a little scratchy noise, sounding as if Sungjong had looked behind him. Hwayoung could take in little talks and screams from the background, but it was nothing for her to sense who they people were.

                “It’s a…long story.” Another weird noise, which she’d figured as Sungjong’s shaky breathing. “But…I need to talk to you.”

                “I’m listening.”

                Sungjong didn’t say anything back and, for a minute, Hwayoung had thought that he’d hung up on her.

                “…We need to talk. About you.”

                “I figured as much.”

                “Why didn’t you…tell me?” Sungjong asked because he knew that they both knew very well what he was aiming at.

                “I couldn’t tell anybody.” Hwayoung let her right hand go to wipe the sweat on her lap, adjusting the phone with her left hand. “Especially not Lee Sungyeol’s biggest fan.”

                “…I…I’m your boyfriend too, not just Lee Sungyeol’s biggest fan! You should’ve told me!”

                Hwayoung breathed in through her nose for a second, wondering why she wasn’t as nervous and she thought she’d be. Sungjong, on the other hand, sounded like he was on the plank into a volcano. “You would’ve used me, then. Just used me to get to Sungyeol.”

                There was another one of those stupid pauses and Hwayoung knew that Sungjong was very well aware of what she was talking about. In fact, it was probably even true.

                “No, I wouldn’t have –“

                “You would’ve if I told everybody from the beginning I was Lee Hwayoung.”

                Hwayoung could almost read Sungjong’s mind just by listening to his breathing. That would’ve been his intention, his only intention, of approaching her if so.

                “But…you didn’t?” Sungjong suggested meekly.

                “…We both know it’s true, okay? You would’ve done the worst thing in the world to me, and I lied to you. We’re even, aren’t we?”

                Sungjong took in a short breath, considering the deal. “Yeah, even. On one condition, though.”

                How did she know. She swore, all counting on the information she had on her boyfriend, what his condition was. “Yeah, you can visit  my house and I’ll show you to my brother’s room.”

                “I swear, Hwayoung, you are ultimately best girlfriend ever.”

                “Yeah, I know.”

 

“The concert’s canceled?!”

                Jonghyun just nodded, not caring about the fact that nobody could see any actions of his over the phone. The reporter herself sounded devastated, the sadness seeping from her voice.

                She regained herself for a second, coughing into the phone. “Jonghyun-sshi, does this have anything to do with Kim Sunggyu’s incident?”

                “No,” the CEO answered as quickly as possible. “This has absolutely nothing to do with it, it’s just that Sungyeol doesn’t think he’s prepared enough for it.”

                Prepared enough, yeah right, he wasn’t even here.

                Before the woman on the other line could ask another question, which Jonghyun was sure that she was about to, he cleared his throat and told her, “Also, I’ve already stated this, but my company and I are not taking on any questions about Kim Sunggyu’s situation.”

                Another little pause of silence until the reporter said, “I wasn’t intending on asking any questions.” Oh, yeah right. “But now that you mention it, it must be something more important than it seems if you’re not able to answer anything I do have prepared.”

                So you have things prepared, Jonghyun rolled his eyes. “It is our artist’s privacy and we would really rather keep it that way. Thank you for your support, please announce it wisely to the public, and I hope you have a great day.”

                He hung up the phone before the woman could say anything, and for once, he didn’t feel any remorse. His head was overfilled, completely trashed and messed up. Sungyeol was missing, Dongwoo was missing, Sunggyu was missing, and even worse, Myungsoo was missing.

                Jonghyun had thought about it very carefully, though – Myungsoo couldn’t have anything to do with this. He despised Sungyeol to the pits of hell, why on earth would the younger boy have anything to do with the pop star?

                Then, there was that lingering option that Myungsoo had heard about Sunggyu’s drug scandal and decided that he’d have nothing more to do with the company.

                But Myungsoo wouldn’t do that, that just wasn’t something the boy seemed like doing. He was a rational person, despite his young age. The first thing he would do before conjuring up conclusions such as working for Lee Entertainment wasn’t a good idea anymore, he would confront Jonghyun. He would get his facts straight and then decide whether or not to leave the company (although they both knew Jonghyun wouldn’t dare let him do such a thing).

                Nibbling on the tip of his blue pen, Jonghyun pulled out his cell phone, which he hadn’t used for a long time. Everything was dialed by the company phone because, for some reason, it made him seem a lot more professional.

                He whipped out Myungsoo’s phone number from his company’s contact list, checking that it was the correct number a few hundred times before finally pressing the call button.

                The phone rang a few times before directing him to voicemail, a robot woman’s voice tell him, “L is not available at the moment. Please leave your name and phone number after the beep and he will return to you.”

                Juggling his options, Jonghyun ended the call before leaving a voicemail.

 

Sungyeol watched with his own eyes as Myungsoo ignored Jonghyun’s call, flipping his phone to silent and throwing it underneath the pillow.

                “You’re not…gonna talk to him?”

                “And what? Tell him where I’m at?” Myungsoo snorted. “Not likely. Besides, if you’re not doing your concert, there’s no point in me doing the rest of the recordings.”

                Sungyeol felt his neck fall, eyeing over at Sungjong. “Can I…talk to you outside? There’s something I want to ask you.”

                “Why not here?”

                The older boy just tilted his chin towards Myungsoo’s brother’s direction, shrugging. “It’s more private.”

                Myungsoo could nearly sense what it was, but just for Sungyeol’s sake, stood up and grabbed the pop star’s hand.

                “Let’s go,” he mouthed, pulling Sungyeol from the bed and out the door, all before Sungjong could even sense them leaving.

                Sungyeol avoided Sunggyu and Woohyun’s weird stares as they passed the kitchen. The two ballad singers were seated on stools across from each other, Sunggyu leaned back leisurely while Woohyun was sitting at the edge of his seat, leaned over to talk to Sunggyu.

                Not even noticing how their hyungs were looking at them, Myungsoo threw open the door and went out of it, motioning Sungyeol to sit down at the bench.

                “Go, talk.”

                Sungyeol kept his eyes on the ground, feeling along the wood and remembering his talk with Lime just yesterday afternoon. Yesterday afternoon, when he arrived at the stupid cabin, when he figured out who his lost loved one was.

                Then last night, when he confessed.

                “I told you I loved you,” Sungyeol said, his voice delicate and fragile, sounding as if it’d tear anytime soon. It wasn’t any different than his usual speaking voice, but to both the boys’ ears, it seemed a whole lot different. “You didn’t say anything back.”

                “…I told you that I hated you, if that counts for anything.”

                “It doesn’t.” The older boy craned his head upwards to look at Myungsoo, who did everything he could not to look at Sungyeol. “You’re supposed to…I don’t know…say something back.”

                “I don’t love you, Sungyeol. I’m not going to say I do if I don’t.”

                Sungyeol could only feel his eyelashes flinch at the words when he attempted to blink. “I didn’t need you to say those words.”

                Myungsoo shrugged, though he couldn’t figure out why. “I don’t have anything else to say to you, then.”

                “Nothing? Even the slightest thing? You just hate me?”

                “What else do you want me to say?” Myungsoo breathed out, every syllable perfectly precise. “You’re literally stealing my voice. Don’t expect me to love you, okay? This isn’t some mopey situation where I give up my voice for you because you had vocal surgery or some , all because I love you.”

                “Then…why are you doing it?”

                Myungsoo’s mouth fell open midway because, for one thing, that was the last response he expected from the latter.

                “I’m not stupid, you know.” Sungyeol’s eyes looked away from the sun and Myungsoo, purely focusing on what was in his mind and the grass. “I’m just really bad at school,” he felt the need to add. “I already told you this, we both know, you’re the heir to Kim Industries. And the more K-pop rises globally, Lee Entertainment is going to contribute so much economically to South Korea, since it’s the biggest company.” He pronounced all the words correctly, now facing back to Myungsoo. “I’m right, aren’t I? I’m pretty logical compared to my failing grades.”

                He took this moment to look away, closing his hands into a fist, but keeping his index fingers out, slowly forcing them to hit each other. “My dad’s smart, too. Put him and you together, you guys get the perfect plan.”

                Myungsoo was still speechless, his mind wavering back to years ago in Jonghyun’s office after his audition to Lee Entertainment. The conversation they had. What they talked about.

                “He loves me. He knew that I wanted to be famous, follow the footsteps of my older sister and not the ones of my younger sister. And he knows the last thing your parents would want you to do is have a singing career.” Sungyeol dug his heels into the ground, moving his fingers around. “So what does he do? He takes my face and body, whether or not I have any vocal capabilities at all, and plants your voice in me. Years later when I become a big hit, everybody’s happy. I’m famous, Lee Entertainment is aided by Kim Industries by contract with the future CEO Kim Myungsoo, Kim Industries is aided by Lee Entertainment by the same contract, and you can sing to your heart’s content.”

                Sungyeol bit his lips, enclosing both index fingers back into a fist. He looked back up at Myungsoo, slowly shaking his head. “I told you, I’m not stupid.”

 

 

“Oh God! SUNGJONG’S NOT HERE!”

                Minho shot his head up, looking away from his newspaper when he heard his wife scream. “What? What happened? What do you mean he’s not here?!”

                Luna came running down the stairs, ignoring the fact that she could possibly have tripped with the length of her high heels. “He’s not in his rooms! The only face I see there is Lee Sungyeol’s!”

                “Then where is he?!” Minho cried, standing up and ignoring his boiling cup of coffee beside his newspapers.           

                “I don’t know, but his window’s open,” Luna sobbed. “And…oh good Lord, this morning! The shower’s usually always on, right, along with Myungsoo wasting our water by taking a shower?! I didn’t hear it this morning!”
                Without any thoughts beside the fact that his precious angel, his little darling boy Sungjong was missing, Onew ran past his wife and up the stairs, throwing open Myungsoo’s wooden door.

                The room was completely blank, totally empty. The bed was still made, but that wasn’t anything big because Myungsoo was always forced to make his bed.

                “You don’t think –“ Luna stopped midway, just watching the wretched look on her husband’s face as she let out heavy breathing from having to run back up the stairs.

                “He wouldn’t,” Minho hissed. “He wouldn’t dare.”

                “Everybody tells me I don’t take enough care of Myungsoo,” Luna wailed. “They all told me he’d come out corrupted! I didn’t think it’d be true!”

                Minho just sighed, nodding his head. He walked forward to bring his wife towards him, patting her back as to console himself too. “Don’t worry…we’ll do something about it.”

 

“He likes him, doesn’t he?”

                “The first he being who, and the second him being who?” Woohyun asked, knowing the pains of having two guys like each other. All the pronouns would get messed up.

                “Both of them.”

                “You mean…they like each other?”

                Sunggyu nodded, stretching back far enough so that the tips of his fingers touched the fridge. “Sungyeol and…Myungsoo, was it?”

                “Yeah.” Woohyun thought for a second, then shook his head. “Myungsoo hates him.”

                “Then…why…what?” Because so far to Sunggyu, holding a guy’s hand and going outside with him had nothing to do with hate.

                “Wait, hold, you’d be fine with it, right?”

                Sunggyu just brought his arms back to his side, shaking his head confusedly. “What?”

                “I mean, you’d be fine with Sungyeol and Myungsoo if they got together, right?” Woohyun was too excited for his own good.

                “Well…yeah. I guess. Probably. That guy needs some of Sungyeol’s happiness to rub off of him, to be honest.”

                Woohyun felt his little grin show up, scooting closer to Sunggyu (as if he wasn’t already close enough). “So you’d be fine with going for a guy yourself, right?”

                “…Wait, what does this have anything to do with me?!” Sunggyu cried, obviously not getting a hint.

                “I’m just curious.”

                Sunggyu shrugged, stretching again. His back felt funny and his bones were a bit condensed, for some stupid reason. He didn’t even have his medication, for crying out loud. “I didn’t say anything about myself, I’m just saying I’d be fine with them.”

                Woohyun pouted, biting on his tongue. “How about me?”

                “You?”

                “Yeah! Would you be fine with going for me?”

                Sunggyu nearly fell off his stool when he finally realized what Woohyun was talking about.

 

Dongwoo covered his face with his hands, his breathing hitched past his neck. Ara would occasionally bring her hand over to pat his head and ruffle his hair, a reminder of the sort that he wasn’t the only one scared half to death for Hoya.

                He’d listened carefully, very, very carefully when Fei was explaining to him a few minutes ago. All of them knew he was too distressed to see the KSO sign smacked in front of the building, so there was no way he’d be able to figure out their connection.

                “What if…” Dongwoo breathed again, causing Ara to turn and look at him. “You said that there were people in there, right? That room. What happens if…if their other people come? If they have other people.”

                “They have other people,” Ara told him. “And…they probably will come, whether we like it or not.”

                “Can’t we just go?” He begged, turning at her to keep his eyes off of Hoya. “Go back to the cabin? We can take care of him there, right?”

                From behind him, Lime touched the top of his back, near his shoulder. “It’d be too dangerous to bring Hoya to the car and back. Any type of movement could be lethal to him.”

                Dongwoo growled again, tilting his head back to be able to hit it against the wall. “Will he ever be okay?”

                “I’m hoping soon,” Fei gulped, walking in front of him. She was still pacing before the door that led to Siwon and Gyuri, her left hand on her hip and her right hitting with her cell phone occasionally. “You still have some of Sunggyu’s aspirins left over, right? The ones that H-Hoya bought.”

                They’d all caught Fei’s nervous stutter on Hoya’s name, but the three of them knew not to mention it.

                “If Sunggyu didn’t take any, we still have a stable amount,” Lime answered. “I saw before we left.”

                Nobody answered her after that because, in reality, nobody had anything to really say. They just sat there waiting for Hoya’s body to regain its feelings and for Hoya to wake up

 

Minew as Myungjong's parents because. well. I don't really know LOL. Sungyeol figured it out~ and so have you guys ^^ pwahahaha. Woogyu's gotten closer. Hoya's still near dead. And I added Hwayoung and Jonghyun~

sorry if this chapter was a mixture of longness (it's 5 pages .___.) and randomness. I was literally half dead when I wrote this. No literally. I was by myself. In a car. At 2 am. In front of a shopping mall. For hours.

And guess what, this story just dropped about 4 subscribers. I've been trying really hard okay so stop unsubscribing  ;___; and then all of a sudden YC got a lot more subs and I don't even know why because it's...over. asfghjkl i get it YC's a lot better than this okay I UNDERSTAND. just tell me how to improve my story before you stop reading it, okay? I would appreciate it. a lot. why am i even saying this unsubbers aren't even gonna read this. OKAY FOR YOU FUTURE UNSUBSCRIBERS. 

did any of you guys go shopping today ^^ bahahaha. well. have a good week~ I need more sleep asdfgjkl okay byeee~

[[c:9]]