Chapter 30

He's My Soul

 

hellooo~ 

Sungyeol cringed as the blood and life from Sungjong’s face drowned away. He darted his eyes towards Myungsoo, who just shook his head and made an “It’s alright” sign.

                “The…the phone conversation.” Sungjong stopped, pointing a shaking finger at Sungyeol. “That was you she was talking to! And – and,” he turned towards his older brother, “you told her to tell me that…what…why? How?!”

                Sungyeol waited a few minutes before saying, “We, like, share the same parents. You know. Blood-related. That’s…how.”

                “You – I’m – , I’m dating Lee Sungyeol’s sister!” Sungjong screamed, burying his head into the pillow.

                He let out a few more yelps, causing Sungyeol to be a little more than just worried.

                “Is he…is he okay?”

                “Yeah, he’s fine, always freaks out like that.” Myungsoo got up on his knees and scoot a little further to his little brother. “Look, Hwayoung probably had her reasons for not telling you, okay? No, well, she probably had her reasons to not tell anybody, really, but…yeah. She probably had her reasons.”

                Sungyeol just blinked at him, giving Myungsoo the ‘you absolutely at comforting people’ look. “Hey Sungjong, how about we call Hwayoung back and get all this straightened out? I’m sure it’d be a lot lifted off her back to know that.”

                Subtly nodding with his head buried into the pillow, Sungjong lifted his shivering face up and took the cell phone handed to him by Sungyeol.

                He shakily got off the bed, looking through the contact lists and not at all noticing and memorizing all the celebrities’ phone numbers. The phone was beginning to feel sweaty in his hands but he’d managed to ignore that fact and look straight forward at the wall.

                “You,” Sungyeol hissed at Myungsoo as he forced his eyes away from Sungjong’s confession, “never, ever become a therapist.”

                “I wasn’t really thinking of it. You know, got my life-long job planted down and everything?” Myungsoo gave him that fake smile, the one you had when you told your grandparents that that hot pink sweater was exactly what you’d been hoping for as a Christmas present.

                “It’s not lifelong, I’m planning on retiring soon, okay?”

                “Retiring?” Myungsoo snorted, obviously not believing a word coming out of Sungyeol’s mouth. “Yeah, when hell freezes up. Do you know how many people would hate you if you did that?”

                “Doesn’t mean as much if it means you stop hating me.”

                Myungsoo felt that fake smile falter because, he remembered, Sungyeol loved him.

                “I’m looking at Sungjong, how fascinated he is now with dating my sister just because she’s my sister.” Sungyeol sighed a bit, pulling his legs down to sit criss-cross besides Myungsoo. “I’m not close-up with my fans like this on a regular basis, and seeing how much impact I have on them…it scares me. I’m literally lying to their faces and they’re just eating it all up. Okay, weird analogy, but whatever. You get what I mean.”

                He paused for a second before saying, “I bet even your brother sings better than I do. And the sad part is I’m not even kidding.”

                Myungsoo turned his head to look at Sungyeol, to see if the older boy was actually being serious. “Don’t say that about yourself –“

                “I bet you’re thinking it anyways, so might as well say it aloud. You haven’t heard me sing yet, have you?” Sungyeol returned Myungsoo’s stare, shrugging. “If I honestly had debuted with my real voice, I bet I’d be, like, #2 on a list of idols with the most lacking voices.”

                “…Do you know how many idols there are –“

                “I’d still be #2,” Sungyeol interrupted, nodding his head. He looked back at Sungjong, who was scratching his head and blabbing something over the phone.

                “You underestimate yourself,” Myungsoo told him, feeling the need to say that. It didn’t matter if he’d never heard Sungyeol’s voice, the guy had to be underestimating himself.

                “It’s only because everybody overestimates me, and for the most truest reasons possible,” Sungyeol replied, flicking pieces of lint off the blanket.

                Myungsoo shut his eyes closed because, sincerely, all he wanted to do was grab onto Sungyeol and tell him that just because he wasn’t real, just because he was faking everybody, didn’t mean that he didn’t have the heart to make it all better later.

 

“Do you know who that kid even is?” Sunggyu asked, swallowing the last of the raw ramen as he threw the bag into the trash.

                “Which one?”

                “All of them.”       

                “Myungsoo, Hoya, and Sungjong? Oh, they’re all my childhood friends so it’s okay.” Woohyun gave him a little grin as he pulled a bottle of water from the fridge.

                “I know they’re okay, but…like…what are they even doing here? And why did that kid – Hoya, was it? Why’d he go with those…other people?”

                Woohyun cleared his throat a bit, taking the seat across from Sunggyu. “They’re being, what’s the word? Targeted, I guess, too. But Dongwoo and Sungyeol would’ve refused to come if Hoya and Myungsoo weren’t here, and Sungjong was just dragged along because he’s Myungsoo’s brother.”

                Honestly, he didn’t know why Sungjong was dragged along, he just went along with it to make himself seem even the least bit smarter in Sunggyu’s eyes.

                “What’s so important about them? Hoya and Myungsoo.”

                “Oh, easy. Hoya has this, like, huge crush on Dongwoo and Myungsoo is Sungyeol’s biggest anti-fan.”

 

Ara’s hands were sweating when it felt the freezing cold doorknob. She lifted her black-sleeved shirt against her nose, forcing herself to open the door wide enough to be able to go in and retrieve Hoya but not enough for oxygen to come pouring through and wake up Siwon and Gyuri.

                By the sight of the ajar door, the room looked like any regular one, but Ara knew that if she’d taken her arm off her nose, there was a likely chance she’d crash. She shoved the door harder open because frankly, there were two unconscious bodies blocking her way to Hoya.

                She looked around the room, telling herself she was taking too long to decide and she’d eventually stop breathing soon, but she kept her breath held and only took tiny, tiny gulps of air.

                Eyes landing on the figure slumped in the right side of the room, Ara ran over to it and flipped the person around to stare straight into Hoya’s closed eyes. She took the largest inhale from her arm before letting go and holding onto both of Hoya’s arms, reminding herself that she did once take a gym course that involved lifting weights and besides, Hoya wasn’t even that heavy. If she put her mind to it, maybe he wouldn’t be.

                In the corner of her eye, Ara noticed that an electronic began glowing brightly, shaking from the vibrations coming from it. She ignored it, along with the caller ID that stated “Yoo Ara”.

                As she got past Siwon’s body, a high heeled foot blocked her way. Ara glared at the slightly awaken Gyuri, then kicked her leg away. All only taking in one lungful of air, which she hoped wasn’t enough to make her go unconscious.

                “C’mon, baby,” she whispered when she was out of the room, dragging Hoya’s sluggish body before her. He was flipped over to the side a bit when Ara let go of his now purple arms, running over to the door and shutting it tightly.

                She let out a few deep coughs, then fell down to her knees besides Hoya.

 

“UNNIE!” Lime screamed, well aware that she was making the loudest noise possible. But she didn’t care, it’d been at least twenty minutes and scared to wit’s end.

                “ARA! YOO ARA!”

                There was nothing, only the ominous reply of herself. “UNNIE!”

                In her hand, Lime pressed a few buttons to reach Fei’s number. The phone only rang about twice before her other unnie’s scared voice overcame the speaker.

                “Lime? What’s going on?” Fei knew very well, like everybody else, that Lime wouldn’t call anybody if it weren’t anything big.

                “I can’t find Ara. It’s been, like, six years and I don’t know where she is.” Lime was, yes, exaggerating but also freaking out, so that excused her.

                “Ara? What’d she do?!”

                “She followed Siwon and Gyuri to find Hoya. When Hoya went missing. Because Gyuri locked him up somewhere.” Lime spit everything out, trying to figure out what else Fei wasn’t informed on.

                “Did she find them –“

                “How am I supposed to know?!” Lime screamed into the phone. “I can’t even find her, what am I supposed to do?!”

                “Did you try calling her?”

                “I don’t know if you didn’t realize with the caller ID, but this is Ara’s phone.”

                Fei groaned on the other line, not even having the time to ask Lime where her phone went. “I’ll come and –“

                “ARA!” Lime screamed, the familiar face of her best friend coming in front of her as she turned the corner. “UNNIE!                Are you –“

                “I’m fine,” Ara breathed, heaving as she held onto her chest. Lime glanced down at the fallen Hoya, looking as dead as ever. “He isn’t.”

                “You found Ara? Is she with Hoya?”

                “Yeah,” Lime hurried, “she’s fine, Hoya isn’t –“

                “Give me three minutes, call Dongwoo, I’m going to pick him up.”

 

Dongwoo was nearly finished doing Sunggyu and Woohyun’s room when his phone rang, the tune of Sunggyu’s old song echoing against the walls.

                “Hello?”

                “Dongwoo?” Lime’s quivering voice asked, the slightest hint of hope on it.

                “Yeah, it’s me. What happened? Are you okay?”

                “Um, yeah, I’m fine,” she answered as her voice gradually went higher. “Fei…Fei’s gonna pick you up in a few minutes, okay? She needs to drive you somewhere.”

                “Where? Wait, what happened? Tell me that first.” Dongwoo kicked the pieces of tablecloth aside, taking a seat on the bed.

                “We just…Hoya’s in trouble…and we don’t know how to get him out of it. Fei said that you’d know what to do but I don’t and Ara doesn’t know and we’re scared and I can’t do this, and Hoya…”

                Dongwoo’s ears went deaf at the mention of Hoya being in trouble. Wherever they brought him, he was in trouble. “I’ll be ready in a second, just tell Fei to hurry up!”

 

“Dammit!” Kwanghee cried, biting his hand to make himself not cuss. “Siwon isn’t picking up his phone!”

                “Have you tried Gyuri’s?” Onew asked.

                “They all aren’t picking up!” The boss rolled his eyes, loading his inbox again to reread Gyuri’s text message. “She told me…that she had dirt on Dongwoo. How the freak am I supposed to ask her what if she doesn’t pick up the damn phone!”

                Onew leaned over, reading the message along with the little ‘Don’t tell Siwon!’ note. “Do you think maybe they found the guy and ditched somewhere together?”

                “Heck no, Siwon wouldn’t be caught dead with the .”

                “Who knows, could’ve –“ Onew froze, looking up from his empty plate. “Hey! Did she say she had dirt on Dongwoo?”

                “Yeah, that’s what –“

                “But wasn’t it the other kid, Lee Howon, the one in the building?”

                Kwanghee rubbed his chin, thinking for a second. “Yeah. The same kid that you and Siwon caught outside of the pharmacy.”

                “How would Gyuri have dirt on Dongwoo if Howon’s the one in the building?”

                “She wouldn’t, not unless – oh. Oh, this gets even better, doesn’t it?” Kwanghee smiled, giving Onew an approving nod. He twirled his fork a bit, tilting his head. “Jang Dongwoo…ruined before even debuting. I can just imagine the headlines.”

 

I'm not even kidding. freaking putting Sungyeol as #2 for the idols that lacked singing skills the most...first of all, who even makes a list like that?! And then puts it on TV? SERIOUSLY. 

ahh, our wonderful Kwanghee from KSO was on the list too. I'm still not kidding, who the fck even makes something like that. honestly.

kk byebye~ ^^ hope your week's going well~ mines was ruined by that video.

[[c:11]]