Chapter 38

He's My Soul

 

look who updated c;

It’d been an ongoing internal struggle for Myungsoo since he was a little kid; his parents never really loved him. They had their priorities straight – one kid for smarts, one kid for love. In a sense, it was like he was one of those ‘accidental’ kids that were so planned they became messed up.

                It’d come to the point where he didn’t even think he was even considered their child anymore. All they cared about, despite how stupid it was, was his grades. They wanted those perfect grades and they wanted it from him each and every time. Who cares about well-being, who cares about anything. Minho needed his legacy to live on, and live on it shall by Myungsoo’s smarts.

               

“I don’t think I’m at a place to reveal that information,” Ara said nervously as the tension rose through the room.

                “No, stop for a second.” Woohyun stood up, forgetting Sunggyu’s hand that was attempting to push him down. “I just destroyed my, you know, soul or whatnot telling you guys my story. I’d love it if you managed to return the favor.”

                “There’s no favor to return,” Myungsoo shuddered from the corner. “It’s nothing.”

                “Well it’s obviously not nothing if something this big is coming out of it,” Sunggyu tried.

                Woohyun blinked his eyes away from his boyfriend and former best friend, turning to look straight at Sungyeol. “Well?”

                The teenager remained silent, though his face screamed anything but calm.

                “Stop it,” Myungsoo intervened immediately. “Leave him alone. I’m only here as…as support. I’m Sungyeol’s boyfriend, remember? He just…needed me here because he was scared.”

                “You hated him a while ago,” Dongwoo stated the obvious. “I’m serious. You literally hated him. And in a society like today, you don’t just hate people that much for no reason.”

                “Besides, nobody knew,” Woohyun shot out. “At least, nobody else was supposed to know. It’s not like, like you could predict the future that somebody was after you. There was no reason ‘to be scared’. or whatnot.”

                “And that doesn’t explain anything as to why I’m here,” Sungjong added weakly, not feeling the best that his own blood brother didn’t trust him enough to spill the secret.

                Myungsoo could only roll his eyes, feeling the anger pressure rise up because oh God these people refused to let them be. Anybody, if anybody found out anything then it’d just be a big mess and –

                “I told you guys I wasn’t doing the concert, right?”

                “What? Wait, what did you just say?” the words came tumbling out of Sunggyu’s mouth before he could even think twice. “No, you’re kidding me, right, you can’t just –“

                “It’s supposed to be in a few hours, do you think I could actually make that?” Sungyeol shrugged before looking up at everybody with his forlorn eyes. “And about half of all my guests are trapped in this stupid wooden log. Do you think I could actually perform right now?”

                It was a rhetorical question because nobody answered and Sungyeol ended up just talking more. “And besides. It isn’t even performing anymore. I just stand on a stage wearing pretty clothes and moving my arms around like an idiot with a turned-off mic in my hand.”

                Ara didn’t cease to show off her surprise when Sungyeol finished his phrase. “You aren’t actually going to –“

                “And I’m sick of it,” the teenager interrupted. “I’m sick of moving my lips to some voice that isn’t even mines. I’m sick of being internally judged or whatever and I don’t want to do this anymore…you don’t understand.”

                Silence flooded through the cabin, and the first thing audible was Sungjong’s hard and heavy breathing. Next came Dongwoo’s cough, then a whimper from Myungsoo that sounded something like “Oh, no, no, no.”

                “What…are you…are you okay?”

                “I’m fine,” Sungyeol snapped, staring Woohyun in the eye. “I’m ing fabulous okay. I just told my best friends and my number one fan that I’m fake, of course I’m fine.”

                “Say that again,” Sunggyu breathed, eyes targeted straight towards the ground. “Say that again. Whatever you just said. Before. Say that again.”

                “What? That I’ve been lipsynching to Myungsoo’s voice for my entire life?” Sungyeol said haughtily.

                “And it’s MYUNGSOO?” Sungjong screeched from the corner, clutching onto the dear wall for his life.

                “You guys, calm down –“

                “You knew?!” Woohyun demanded, completely turning his body around to stare accusingly at Yoo Ara. “What the , how on earth did you –“

                “Now, now, calm down –“

                “Oh my God, don’t tell me you knew too,” Woohyun groaned at JR. “Great, did I somehow not get the memo that Sungyeol was ing everybody over?”

                Myungsoo felt his boyfriend flinch at the words, stealthily slipping away towards the corner by himself.

                “Woohyun,” Ara said, her voice harsh. “Don’t say that.”

                “What he’s saying is true though, isn’t it?” Dongwoo shrugged. “I mean, I’m just as…shocked, is the word? as you guys are. But I’ve been mentally bracing myself for the worst…Hoya said there was something funny going on between you two before.”

                “Hoya knew?” Myungsoo gasped, because it was a whole different reality if the people he knew found out about this.

                “Oh my ing Lord.”

                Everybody stopped talking at the sound of the voice, lifting their heads toward Sunggyu, whose right hand was still placed against his chest.

                “Why? What happened?” Ara asked, leaning over towards Sunggyu.

                “What Woohyun said before,” the oldest boy swallowed. “About KSO. And then what Sungyeol just said. The only reason…the only reason Myungsoo’s here is because…oh God, they know too? They know, don’t they, about Myungsoo and Sungyeol?”

                Sungyeol’s hands were tightly pressed against his face, his nails slowly starting to crawl into his skin. “No…dammit, no…”

                When Ara managed to nod against her will, Myungsoo found enough courage to ask, “Why, though? I mean…how. How did they find out?”

                There was a slight pause before JR finally replied, “I’m not too sure if you want to know…”

                “Please, just…tell me,” the boy shook his head back. “I need to know.”

                Ara’s eyes flickered around the room before landing on Sungyeol’s head, pitying the boy more than anything. “It actually doesn’t have anything to do with Sungyeol. At all.”

                “Then it has something to do with me, isn’t that obvious?” Myungsoo retorted, frustrated at how everybody was finding some way to wiggle Sungyeol into every freaking situation and discussion.

                “You aren’t going to like this, Myungsoo, not one bit.”

                “I was kinda prepared not to like this for a while, I hope you realize that.”

                “No, you don’t…” Ara stopped for a minute when JR laid a hand on her arm, as if notioning her to stop stalling and just talk. “It might come off very…very abrupt to you.

                “KSO. You know…it stands for Kwanghee, Siwon, and Onew. The last one, Onew, he was…how do you say this, rather different from the rest of them. He didn’t go out on drinking nights with Kwanghee and Siwon, at least not regularly. He was decent some of the time to us but that was probably because Lime and I both knew him since we started working there…which was a really long time ago, before college even.

                “And that’s when everything comes crashing down. Because Onew distanced himself from Kwanghee and Siwon, he tended to bring his other friends to the studio. As long as he was doing his work, Kwanghee was fine with it.” Ara’s eyebrows came together, now out of all times trying to figure out why Kwanghee was always so against her bringing JR to the studio (before, you know, the whole bomb explosion thing) but he was fine with Onew’s friends.

                Oh well. Biased bosses will always be biased.

                With a nudge from JR, she kept talking. This time, though, her eyes were flailing  more towards Sungjong or Dongwoo to see if there were any other reactions. “Lime overheard them arguing once, though. We were in college, I think, and that was around the age where everybody was just finding their passion. Well, Lime found out that one of Onew’s friends, this one guy, was actually the heir or whatever to a really big company. We didn’t catch the name for a while until we learned that he wasn’t the actual inheritor – it was his older brother, who died in a car crash, therefore the company was going to him.”

                And Myungsoo kept his breath held in because why did this all sound so familiar?

                “They apparently had this entire “plan” that when Onew’s friend became the CEO, they’d merge together with KSO and become this great company. Onew figured that if he showed that to Kwanghee, he might get a raise or a promotion or whatever. Poor boy, he didn’t even want the company. He just wanted a few dollars extra in his paycheck.

                “Either way, though, the partnership never really got through because Onew’s friend couldn’t actually ever get a hold of the entire company. His dad didn’t trust him enough for some reason I never found out, but I’m assuming it’s because he wasn’t raised to take the job. When he grew up, though, he got married and had a kid – two, actually – and that’s when he realized he didn’t have to do any more work. He’d just lay it on the first kid.”

                Funny, because really, this was too familiar for Myungsoo to even grasp the difference between fiction and reality anymore.

                “The partnership never got through,” Ara clucked, playing with her index fingers. “At least not the one with KSO. Which then leads us to our second part…when that particular friend discovered that his son was actually more of an over-achiever than he ever was.”

                At the sound of those words, Myungsoo’s head slowly lifted up and he stared straight into JR’s piercing eyes, who just directed him to look at the only female in the room playing with her fingers.

                “His son…whom you all know too well as Myungsoo, thought ahead of everything and already made a partnership with another little company I like to call Lee Entertainment. It was a very smart move, if I do say so myself, only it wasn’t too smart because he’d manage to leave some loose papers hanging around next to Kim Corporation stock files.”

                “The week after I signed of the contract with Jonghyun,” Myungsoo cracked, his hair with his fingers. “Those papers. I was an idiot, I thought I lost them or threw them away, that’s why I made Jonghyun print me another one. I didn’t think…I didn’t think Father would actually find them.”

                “Well he did. And he managed to not tell your mother or your little brother, ever,” Ara revealed, now forcing her eyes away from Sungjong. “He just…he just felt guilty enough to tell his old best friend.”

                “SUNGJONG!” Myungsoo screamed from the top of his lungs before he could find a reaction to what Ara had just told him. Before he could abandon his spot beside the already-stricken Sungyeol, he saw that Dongwoo already grabbed his little brother in order to prevent him from falling down completely.

                “You’re kidding me,” Sungjong faintly muttered, eyes still bore wide and hands tightly clasping one another. “Sungyeol isn’t even Sungyeol. It’s Myungsoo. And Dad…Dad’s the one that ratted him out? I don’t…I can’t…”

                JR had managed to find his way over to Dongwoo and Sungjong, only saying, “He’s just in shock,” aloud.

                “If I dig a hole, is your dad willing to go die in it for me?” Woohyun snarled at Myungsoo, who stayed frozen in his spot.

                “Woohyun,” Sunggyu monitored, laying a calming hand on his boyfriend’s wrist. “Just think about it rationally for a second.”

                “Rationality isn’t a word in my dictionary at the moment, if you haven’t realized. I don’t think it’s in anybody’s right now.”

               

“Yeah phone, choose this moment not to have any ing signal!” Lime screamed, tossing her now worthless phone onto the pavement before completely stomping on it.

                “Hey, stop and calm down for a second,” Hoya said, sitting down on the chair across the motel bed. “We need to talk.”

                “If you weren’t being stupid, you would know that everybody at the cabin’s probably in some kind of danger right now,” Lime hissed. “And there’s no other way but to call them.”

                “I told you, we could just drive back –“

                “Driving back’s the last thing you’re going to do,” a sharp voice shouted from the doorway. In walked Fei a few minutes later, throwing her purse onto the bed beside Hoya. “This place doesn’t have any signal, and as wonderful as it’d be to have you all go and attempt to kill yourselves to warn the others, that isn’t happening. By the time we get there, it’d be too late. If KSO are really attempting any damage on them.”

                “It’s not late if we go now –“

                “If they’re working slow, yes it would be.” Fei bit back a guilty frown and sat down next to her purse. “I have a gut feeling somebody’s going to get hurt. I know it.”

                “Yet we’re sitting around here? Does that make any ing sense?!” Lime fumed, still pacing around the room because, yeah, that was so much more useful.

                “I think I forgot to mention our cars are out of gas, too,” Fei raised her eyebrows. “So you’re welcome to walk there if you’d like.”

                “Don’t be stupid, it can’t be out of gas –“

                “Well, both of our tanks combined will make it about four miles. I don’t think we’d get anywhere in four miles.”

                Knowing that Fei was right, Lime began wringing her hands and fastening her pacing mode. “Then what are we supposed to do? Sit here and wait for a news report of a gunshot firing in a wooden cabin? Does that make sense to you?!”

                “For now, it’s the best we got,” Hoya sighed as he reached for the TV remote.

 

“Drop me off here,” Hwayoung directed when she felt she was a good sixty feet from where the destination on the piece of paper stated.

                The driver, not daring to question her motives, nodded and stopped the car. Hwayoung managed to unbuckle her seatbelt and get out of the car in a record amount of time, though shivering because she only had a thin gray cardigan wrapped around her body.

                She made sure her phone was tightly held in her hand (with full bar signals from her position) before waving off the driver, who just ignited the engine once more and proceeded to drive off.

                Walking straight, Hwayoung decided it was best not to be scared of anything. She might be able to find her older brother and boyfriend at this moment – along with Sunggyu, and that wasn’t an opportunity she was about to drop. So she let her fears slide for just the tiniest bit before continuing on.

                “You’re kidding me, boss. The guy’s head is right there. Let me shoot him!...What, who cares if it causes noises. You’re kidding me, right? Oh c’mon. Be serious.”

                Hwayoung felt her blood run cold, stepping closer to a tree in sight. She closed her eyes in order to forget about one sense and focus just on hearing.

                “Oh you’re kidding me. Seriously, I’m serious. You can’t just do this – well, I don’t care if…boss? Kwanghee?...Hello? Are you there?

                “Dammit, he probably hung up on me,” the voice resolved to whispering, and Hwayoung dared to lean closer just to keep listening on. “Wait, no…it’s still there. Ugh, I’ll just do what he told me to. Stupid bastard.”

                And suddenly everything went clear for Hwayoung when she heard the gun being loaded.

                A gun.

                It was being loaded.

                She knew this sound, she’d watched too many police dramas to not be able to recognize it. The world was spinning around her, time wasn’t stopping, it never would, and she had to do something now before something really got out of hand.

                Forcing her left hand the other way to hold up the cell phone to her ear because her right hand was too sweaty, Hwayoung breathed loudly into the speaker as the ringing kept going on. She didn’t care if the man heard her – he was too busy engrossed in possible killing somebody.

                “Hello, 119, how may I help you –“

                With zero hesitation, Hwayoung managed to whisper out the address of the cabin in a way even she couldn’t understand.

                “Excuse me? I’m sorry, but I didn’t seem to catch that,” the operator said.

                Hwayoung opened her eyes, her sight locked on the stranger’s back. There was no doubt in her mind that he was holding a gun.

                She repeated the address again, slower this time, following with a, “There’s a man. Somebody outside. And he has a gun. It’s loaded, and his finger’s on the trigger, I’m sure of it. He’s going to shoot into the cabin.”

                “Thank you ma’am, for remaining calm. Law enforcement has already been sent over.”

                “Thank you,” Hwayoung finally managed to worm out of after the woman had hung up. “Thank you…”

 

Onew felt his heart stop – no, no, he knew his heart stop when the siren noises began to come in contact with his ear drums.

                The right finger that was held against the trigger began shaking, and a bead of sweat found its way down his face. He heard rustling behind him but there was no ing time to check anything, and however the police found their way here, he didn’t have time to worry about it all.

                Instead, he resolved to stare before him and that’s when he realized, , the people inside heard the police coming, too.

                The anxiety chose that one moment to kick in, and even if nothing was happening yet (or nothing had happened yet), Onew’s heart was pounding as if there was no tomorrow, his feet seemed to be glued to the ground, and all of a sudden he was so much more aware of the gun in his hands, loaded and ready to aim.

                Everything was right there.

                He was right there.

                The gun was right there.

                The cabin was right there.

                The people, the people were right there.

                He had it all in the palm of his hand, all he had to do was move that little finger back a few inches and then –

                “Sir, please drop your weapon. I repeat, drop your weapon!”

                Onew’s eyes immediately opened up wider and it just came crashing down on him because he realized that maybe he didn’t have it all in the palm of his hand.

                But wait.

                His gun found its own way towards the large window of the cabin where the people inside were completely oblivious that the cops were outside for him and he knew that they were coming up with their own reasons as to why the cops were there. It didn’t take him long to see that the one boy sitting in the right corner, to recognize who it was and what he’d been doing for years. It didn’t take a genius to know what he had to do that moment.

                He locked the gun on the back of the boy’s neck – the boy’s throat, the only thing keeping him alive, the only thing keeping this prospect of his going on, his voice

                “DROP YOUR WEAPON.”

                – and fired.

 

Everything happened in exact slow motion for Sungyeol.

                He heard the bullet crash through the glass behind him first, just as Ara screamed, “BEHIND YOU!” and dropped down, but somehow in the back of his mind he forgot that Myungsoo was sitting right there and how the could he forget it?

                For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

                The bullet tore into the back of Myungsoo’s neck, towards the left (the side he wasn’t on, he later realized) more than center. The outcome of that, the opposite reaction that ripped Sungyeol’s heart apart by itty bitty pieces, was the force in which Myungsoo completely fell forward, his blood spewing out as he crashed onto the floor.

                Sungyeol heard a voice shriek in horror and it took more than a few seconds for him to take notice that it was his voice that was yelling.

                “MYUNGSOO!” he cried before he heard the wooden door behind being knocked down, and men in black appeared everywhere inside the cabin – blocking his view of his paralyzed boyfriend.

                The entire group split up, Woohyun running towards Myungsoo right away, Sunggyu dashing over to grab Sungyeol’s arm and steady his best friend, Sungjong, despite his traumatized face, followed Woohyun, and Dongwoo, the only sane one, ran outside.

                From the back of his mind, he heard Ara say something about Hwayoung and run outside, but he didn’t have the notion to think about anything other than the fact that – that – that…

                His hands balled up in fists, grabbing his hair and covering his eyes. Despite Sunggyu’s attempt to comfort, his breathing came out wretched and he could only cry out, “MYUNGSOO. Don’t do this to me! Oh God, what’s going on? I swear, I need to tell you something, Myungsoo! I’m quitting, I’m not being a singer anymore, MYUNGSOO! I wanted to be a songwriter, I’m quitting, why the aren’t you responding to me?! I’ll write happy love songs about us, I’ll write cheerful poems, I’ll make you happy! MYUNGSOO, answer me! I'm begging you, please!.”

                Sungyeol couldn’t even see the boy he was screaming to yet he kept screaming no matter what. A different voice soon appeared next to him, clutching onto his left shoulder and saying, “Sir, please calm down, we’re doing all we can –“

                “I can’t,” Sungyeol sobbed, completely covering his face. Everybody in the room watching him could sense that he wasn’t in his right mind at the moment. “I can’t. I can’t. I can’t. I can’t calm down, he’s going to die. I can’t let him die, he can’t die! He’s my soul, he can’t…”

 

please keep in mind who's writing this story. then ask yourself, is she ever medically correct? the answer's no. so allow yourself to wonder.

i added in a hint somewhere in there, so if you read it carefully you'll figure out whether or not he dies.

special myungyeol chapter = funeral?

other things i'm supposed to explain? well, yeah, onew's friends are myungsoo's parents. without hwayoung, yes, the police wouldn't have come and the medics wouldn't have come and myungsoo would've died very quickly on the spot. the reason why dongwoo's sane is because he was smart enough to run outside to the shooter because everybody was too caught up with myungsoo. 

yeah guise if you realized, hoya wasn't there the entire time. i purposely took him out and stuck him with lime and fei. he's gotten hurt/traumatized enough in this story LOL he doesn't need to see his best friend being shot, too. 

derp well i'm sorry. like really sorry. i don't know what's up with me lately. this chapter was supposed to be up like two weeks ago but...well...you know me. i'm kind of. slow at things. 

this story's the first one ever in my entire life that i've planned out, fyi. like i have little notes with chapters and what's gonna be in them. i'm just pissed off because when i read it over, it never comes out the way i want it to. like, the plot's fine, the characters are fine, but the writing itself isn't and that's what's pissing me off at the moment.

that was a somewhat excuse. lalalalala well, viet/chinese new year is rolling in so i'm happy for the time being<3 but there's this manhunt going on in my area lol so the mood just dies somehow. 

i'm signing off now, kbyeguise<3 don't hate me too much. 

yeah btw i'm still sick lol. something's wrong with me, physically, and i can't figure out what it is. i got a heartburn a few days ago and my friend ended up buying tums for me LOL they tasted awful. but it kinda helped. so yeah guise if you ever get a heartburn, buy tums. right and my sore throat left and came back, but my headache's gone~ i've been sick for like two months, what's wrong with me.

[[c:12]]