Chapter 21 - A Lunch With Sungyeol

The In Between

You kept glancing on your watch as you were fidgeting by yourself. You felt uneasy to know the fact that you were going to have a lunch together with Sungyeol today, and you didn’t tell Hoya about it. You felt your own heartbeat rate increased by the time. ‘Why am I so nervous? It’s only a lunch’

 

It was lunch time already. You took this chance to go to the employee’s locker, getting your stuff and fixing your make-up and uniform. A part of you told you not to appear inappropriately in front of your customer, since you were the representative of the salon. But another big part of you told you not to think about it to much. And a very tiny part of you just want you to look pretty in front of him. ‘Aa, what should I do?’

 

Then, you heard your phone ringing. You quickly took it out from your pocket and noticed that it was from Sungyeol.

 

“Yes Sungyeol-sshi?”, you said as you picked up the phone.

 

“I’m here, I’ll wait you on the front door okay?”

 

You rushed out from the employee’s locker as soon as the phone call ended. You met Woohyun on the front desk, with a bouquet of flower in his hand.

 

“___-ah! I brought this- Hey, where are you going?”

 

“I’m going to have lunch, Oppa”

 

“With Hoya?”, he asked.

 

“No, with my friend. Gotta go now, he’s waiting. Bye Oppa!”, you said as you rushed out from the salon, leaving Woohyun with confused thought. ‘He? A guy? Who?’. Woohyun then followed you from behind, wanting to know whom you were going with. His eyes widened when he noticed you were with Sungyeol, who was now opening the car’s door for you. ‘What the- Isn’t that the Sungyeol guy?’. He stared suspiciously as you were finally hopped into the car, and then drove away.

 

***

 

“So, is there something you wanna talk with me?”, you asked, as you dug your food with your spoon. Sungyeol took you to a quite fancy restaurant, which you assumed, would cost much. You looked at him who was now smiling widely towards you, making you smile to him in the same way.

 

“I have a great thing to offer ___sshi”, he said happily, making you chuckled to see his happy expression.

 

“And what is it?”, you asked with interested tone, as you smiled sweetly to him.

 

“My make-up coordinator has just resigned yesterday, which means, I, uhm, we, don’t have someone to do our make-ups and wardrobe”, he said, trying to give a clue to you.

 

“And, I assume you want me to be your make-up coordinator. Am I right?”

 

“Yes! So, will you take my offer ___-sshi? If you do, we can talk about the salary and other things with my manager tomorrow”, he said in a happy tone, anticipating your response.

 

“That’s a very great offer Sungyeol-sshi, but I’m afraid I can’t take that”, you said with apologetic smile. Sungyeol’s eyes widened at your sentence. He couldn’t believe that you were just turning down his offer.

 

“Why ___-sshi?”, he asked, trying not to be oblivious that he was a little bit disappointed.

 

“I’m a salon representative, which means… I’m busy enough to be a make-up coordinator for an idol like you”, you said.

 

“Eh? But, I saw other salon representatives also work as make-up coordinators for other stars”, Sungyeol said again.

 

“Well, maybe they are ones that willing to lose their time with the person they love, but I’m not. I’m really sorry Sungyeol-sshi”, you said again, earning a sad stare from Sungyeol.

 

“But… I still can’t accept the reason ___-sshi. It’s for your career too”

 

“I know. But my boyfriend is already busy enough to even call me or text me, and I just couldn’t imagine if I were busy too”, you said, finally revealing your true reason. It wasn’t because you were a representative of the salon, that you reject Sungyeol’s offer. It was because of Hoya. Truth is, you really wanted to be a make-up artist. It was your dream since you were a child. You even had once worked with several idols, so you knew how busy to be a make-up artist was. You were a very good make-up artist back then, that all of the idols you work with always praised your work. But you gave up your career since you noticed that you couldn’t even hold a proper conversation with Hoya, who was already busy that time. You knew your relationship wouldn’t last if one of you didn’t pull back from your busy works. Seeing that Hoya’s position was really important in the company, and the fact that he was a man, you finally decided to give up your career and moved to the salon. Thank goodness it was a good salon you worked on, so you didn’t lose much though.

 

“So, it’s your boyfriend. You know ___-sshi, you can’t let someone hold you back to get a better career. I mean, he’s only your boyfriend, not husband or-“

 

“I know what I’ve got to do Sungyeol-sshi. Thanks for the offer but I’m sorry, I can’t accept it”, you said sternly, making Sungyeol stopped what he was saying.

 

“Okay then. But just wanna let you know, in case you change your mind, just contact me or my manager. We sure still need you to be our make-up coordinator”, he said again, passing a name card to you. You accepted and politely thanked him.

 

***

You were just stepped into your house, to notice nobody was home. ‘Is Hoya still working?’. You slowly made your way to the living room, then you heard your phone ringing. It was from Hoya.

 

“Yes Oppa?”, you said.

 

“Hi ___-ah, just wanna let you know that I’m…. not gonna be home today”, he said from the other line.

 

“What? Why?”, you asked skeptically. You knew Hoya was a busy one, but it was the first time Hoya told you he wouldn’t be home for a work. Usually he would force himself to just go home even though it was midnight already.

 

“I need to go to the construction site, with the other managers. I’m really sorry ___-ah”, he said again.

 

“Should you go there this night?”, you asked again, in concern. “Be careful Oppa”, you said again.

 

“You too ___-ah, I’m really sorry. Lock the door and the window, don’t let anyone in okay? I’ll call Woohyun to come over”, he said again.

 

“No need to Oppa, I’ll be okay by myself. If you can make it to come home, just go home, okay?”

 

“Yes ___-ah. I’m really sorry. Gotta go now. Byee”, then he hung up. You sighed in disappointment, to know that you were going to be alone tonight. ‘He didn’t even say I love you or whatsoever’

 

You glanced at your phone wallpaper. It was a photo of you and Hoya when you last went to the movie together. It was like…. several months ago. You sighed again heavily.

 

‘See? Thank goodness I didn’t accept Sungyeol’s offer. Can’t imagine what will happen to our relationship if I did’


Yeay! I just realized it's already chapter 21 and i haven't got into the main problem yet.... sorry for the slow plot *bow*. Comments and subscribes are still loved :D