Chapter 43- Final Encounter

Rescue Me

Her body needed to adjust. It needed some "getting used to". After not stepping foot for so long, she felt that it was new environment all over again. It felt like how it was the first time she arrived. 

She was with the man she felt she was going to spend the rest of her life with. She was packed with the basic tools about the new world she was to venture into. The place was way different from where she grew up. She has never seen so many asians gather at one place at a same time. She had asian friends at home but seeing the multitude, it somewhat overwhelmed her. It struck her. She was indeed at the land she decided to establish her future.

A smile crept unto her face. She was wearing a pair of sandals and she wiggled her toes as if feeling the marble floors that lie beneath her feet. She just stood still. The ride back was quite long, it took her almost a day. The stop overs were also no help in entertaining her. She wanted to go back so bad but feeling uneasy on how it would feel. There was a rush of blood in her. She was definitely back.
The airport was no different from it was before but the only difference is that there would be people welcoming her back. There were people waiting with arms open to make her feel right at home.

A little girl came running to her soon as she reached the entrance. The look on the girl's face reminded her of someone very dear to her. She was just adorable. A ball of energy waiting to be unleashed.

"Jinyoung, where is eomma?"

The little girl pointed at a certain direction. It was them, Onew and Luna.  The couple had warm smiles on their faces and Luna was practically on the verge of tears upon seeing Amber.

"Easy, Sunyoung.. Don't cry on me."

The girl just smiled and hugged Amber. "Welcome back unnie."

"Glad to be back.."

Amber then handed over Jinyoung to Onew.. "Your daughter has your eye smile Onew.. She's too adorable."

"Well, she got her energy from her mother.."

Amber heaved a sigh. She felt blessed that  she had Luna. To be honest, there was no one she could go back to if ever she never knew Luna.  

"Let's go?"

Luna held Jinyoung and Onew helped Amber carry her luggage. She didn't bring much but they were heavy enough. Luna and Onew had the guest room fixed for Jinyoung's room already so Amber decided to stay at a hotel. Besides, she wouldn't be staying long at Seoul. She planned to spend most of her stay for that week somewhere else. Her business was well taken care of by her staff for the time she was gone and knew they would fare well even though if she didn't visit often.

The family and Amber shared a simple lunch. Luna had already prepared everything beforehand. Amber called her in a few days back saying she'll be coming back. Luna prepared Kimchi Jiggae, Amber's latest favorite, samgyupsal and Kimchi Fried Rice. Amber enjoyed the view of seeing Luna and Onew feed their daughter. She only saw Jinyoung via airtime everytime she and Luna would chat. The girl was really playful. She had Luna's attitude and personality but Onew's looks.

"Luna, I'll be going out for a while today. I kind of missed going around the city alone. I also want to meet a few friends along the way.."

"Sure unnie.. Just be home by 7:00pm for dinner. Then we'll be dropping you off at the hotel you'll be staying at. I've already made a reservation for you."

"Okay. Thanks Luna.."

------------

Amber knew the very first place she had to go to. She felt like she owed these two a lot of explanations since she left and didn't come back to even visit. She entered a door. The place has changed in the time she was gone. The floors were made wood from tiles. The walls are newly painted. It exuded a very European-esque hub. 

"Hey Minho.."

The guy turned around. He didn't change a bit. Well, maybe the hair. He had a haircut which Amber thought suited the lad well. Krystal also turned to look and smiled. Both went nearer by the counter and greeted Amber with their puns.

"Look who decided to show up.." Krystal joked.

"I'm sorry I only showed up now. I had a lot of things to fix."

Minho offered her a glass of sparkling water. He didn't want to offer her alcohol since it was too early. They shared a few stories. Amber asked how the two have been and how is their child. The couple was more than enthused to share stories on their son. A little past 40 minutes and Amber had to go. The two understood and bid their farewells jokingly saying to Amber to never come back.

"It's great to see they're doing well." Amber murmured as she left the bar.

----------------

Amber prefered to walk around the city that day. She got all the time she wanted. She made her way to her second destination. It was quite far but she didn't mind. Not much has changed on the streets she walks on, they were still pretty much the same. The restaurant she helped build was still there seems as if it's doing well.  She walked on and on and finally she arrived. It was still the same.

A lot of the staff pretty much recognized her and still greeted her. She returned their greetings as she made her way to the top floor. She was greeted by a rather surprised lad. He wasn't a boy anymore. He evidently had his ears pierced and he has definitely grown taller.

"Hi Taemin.."

"Amber! Since when did you?"

"Just early this morning actually.. I wouldn't be staying long in Seoul so I decided to visit."

"Really? Hold on. I'll just call Jonghyun hyung."

Taemin ran into an office not too far and called on Jonghyun. The dino quickly went out of his office and ran towards Amber and hugged the girl.

"Amber!" He shouted.

"Woaah.. Hi, oppa!"

Jonghyun dropped her and they laughed it out. She hugged both Jonghyun and Taemin back and said she can't really stay for long. The two didn't let her leave so soon so she was forced to stay for some time. It took them a good two hours to make up for lost time. She insisted that she had to leave since she still had to go somewhere.

"Have a little more patience Amber.." Jonghyun remarked before Amber left.

Amber smiled and nodded. "Don't worry oppa. I always keep my word."

Amber left and made her way to her final destination for the day. It was no special place actually but she was hoping he might be there. He had to meet him that day right before she leaves again. This man, she owes a lot to him.

It was a small park near Luna's university. It was near the Kimchi Stew Restaurant they always ate at. Amber looked around and she was right. He was there. He was sitting at a small bench, looks as if he's waiting for someone. She bought two cold cans of soda and made her way towards him. She placed one of the cans by the lad's cheeks which obviously startled him. Once he saw her, his teeny weeny eyes just widened in surprise..

"Amber??"

"Hi Myungsoo..It's been a while."  she said as she sat down beside Myungsoo.

The boy obviously can't seem to get over the fact that Amber was right in front of him. He just stared at her.

"You don't have to look at me as if you saw a ghost you know.."

He went back to his senses and apologized. It was kind of tense and awkward for the two of them. Last time they met, it was pretty clear that Amber broke his heart as he left in a cab and made his final performance in tears. Amber took the initiative to talk.

"I thought I'd find you here. It's not really far from the place we loved to hang out at." Myungsoo just answered with a smile.

"I know sorry can never be enough to compensate for all the things you've done for me. I owe a lot to you Myungsoo.. All of this, all that I have right now. I owe to you.."

Myungsoo shook his head. "You don't have to say sorry. You have nothing to apologize for actually. What we had back then.. It was great. But it wasn't right. We forced ourselves. I also owe it to you as well. If you didn't break my heart that night I wouldn't have found her."

Amber wasn't really surprised that Myungsoo has found someone. He was the perfect guy if you're going to think about it but just not the perfect guy for her.

"Do I know her?"

"Yeah.. Fair enough.."

"You've known her for a long time haven't you?"

Myungsoo smiled. He assumed that Amber knew who they were talking about. "Yeah.. In fact, I think she knows me better than I know myself."

"Amber, I just have a question.."

"Shoot away.."

"What does he have that I don't?"

Amber looked at Myungsoo with a little surprise evident on her face. "Why ask?"

"Nothing. I just wanted to know.. Once and for all.."

Amber smiled. "To be honest.. I don't know as well. My romance with him was more than just a roller coaster ride. It's like a trek in a mountain. It took time before we realized that we loved each other. And when we made it to the top, it was perfect.. But the way back down was dangerous, fast and took a toll in our relationship. It's crazy. After all that time, it's him. He just has it you know? I think you can understand where I'm coming from."

Myungsoo nodded. Amber's words were vague if you're going to think about it but he understood. He just did.

Amber stood up. She barely finished the soda she got for the two of them. Myungsoo stood up as well. 

"I've got to go Myungsoo. It was nice seeing you again.."

Myungsoo then tugged unto Amber and hugged her. The girl just hugged back.

"You've been one of the most amazing things that have happened in my life Amber.. Thank you. Thank you for everything."

"No. Thank you Myungsoo.. Take care of her okay? Treasure her."

"I will."

The two let go of the hug and Amber left. A girl soon came running to Myungsoo several minutes later..

"L oppa, sorry I'm late..I was.." She saw a can of soda by the seat.

"You were with someone?"

"Ahh, no.. Not really. More of a friendly person just came and talked to me. Told me to treasure my loved ones.."

Not long after, Myungsoo held the girl's hand and said. "Nana?"

"Hmm?"

"I love you."

"I love you too oppa.."

---------------

Amber was able to return to Luna's place several hours right before dinner time. She decided to cook for the Lees since it's one of the few ways she can thank them. She prepared a typical American type of meal, meat, potatoes and a little roast pork she cooked quite fast at the oven.  The family seemed to have enjoyed it, especially the little Jinyoung. It was already past 9pm and Jinyoung was already asleep. Luna decided to bring Amber to the hotel alone.

Amber was at the terrace of the apartment and seemed to think deeply.

"Do you really have to leave for Jeju so soon?"

"Yeah.. I wouldn't be there for too long Luna.. I just need to visit someone. I'll be there for a few days and I'll be back here.."

Both of them sat down.. "How have you been unnie?"

"It was a well deserved break. Key needed it and I did as well. I made up for all those years I wasn't able to spend with my family in California. It was amazing to see them again. Even my dad who was somewhat angry at me for leaving cried at the airport. We all cried.. It was awkward when I came home but my parents soon loosened up after a few days.  They kept on saying how much they missed me and all. Jackie unnie wasn't really a problem."

"How about you unnie, I mean.."

"I made a promise with him on that bridge.. I'm going to lie to you if I told you I expected it would last this long. When I was in the US, exactly at the first year since we made that promise I expected he'd call or even send me a message or something. But no.. There was nothing.. That's when I realized I really had to wait without anticipating anything. I decided to stay a bit longer."

"But unnie, can you really wait? I mean. It's almost three years since you've last met.."

"I know Luna.. But a promise is a promise.. I trust him and I have to keep my faith in him.  No matter what. No matter how long.."

Luna smiled. She saw the dedication and how determined Amber was. Indeed, she was going to wait.

---------------

It was a fun trip on her way to Jeju.. She already made plans on what to do and which places to go. She wanted some alone time. 

She decided to stay for three days on Jeju.. The first two days, she spent touring around the island, enjoying the delicacies she wasn't able to appreciate on her first trip and see the sceneries around the island. The last day she dedicated to visit the temple where she met the old man.  She offered some prayers and gifts to the temple until she saw the monk that she talked to before.

"How have you been my dear?"

"Ahjussi.. Hey. Was there someone here?"

"Ahh, yeah. Not too long ago.."

Amber stared at the offering that was there before she even arrived. It was box of her favorite tea. Though she didn't think of it in anyway special.. It kind of reminded her of Key..

"Ahjussi, was it a guy that offered these?"

"Yes dear, he had a weird fashion sense though.." Amber smiled. It was definitely him.

--------------

Amber left Jeju the following hour from her visit to the temple. She slept on the entirety of her trip back preparing herself to visit one last person before she returns to her normal life. She needed all the energy she has to talk to this person. She was the last person left before Amber could say she needs to wait some more.

-------------

She knocked on the door. A woman answered. Amber thought that she hasn't changed a bit since she last saw here almost three years ago.

"Halmeoni?"

"Amber dear? Is that you?"

"Yes.. It's me."

She entered and halmeoni offered her some tea.

"Wow, thank you.. I missed this."

Halmeoni smiled. "How have you been dear? It's been some time."

"Yes.. It is. It's been some time. I've been faring well. I've been waiting.."

"I can't really say anything in Kibum's behalf.. I too, haven't met him for some time. He visits but not so often. He's been trying his best to fix things.."

"I know halmeoni.. But it's just I miss him. I did promise that I'll wait for him. But he hasn't said a word to me halmeoni."

Amber had tears in her eyes.. "It's hard halmeoni. It's hard holding unto something without knowing what's there. It's difficult. I keep going on by the day hoping each day that I'll get to see him again.. But no, it's almost three years and not a word.  It crushes me everytime halmeoni.. It hurts me.."

Amber cried and cried seeking comfort in halmeoni's hugs. Halmeoni can't really say anything to Amber to ease her pain. She felt that the girl was in pain but she can't give her word on it. Key was the only person that can say when is the right time.

------------

It was past 5:00pm. Dusk was at sight and Amber's eyes were swollen. She finally had the much needed outlet she sought for so long. She felt that halmeoni was the only one that can actually understand her pain. 
Amber soon made her way home. She was nearing her way on the bridge where she and Key first met. She didn't want to pass by it. It'll be all to painful but she had to. She had to face the fact that she has to wait a little longer. As soon as she arrived on the bridge, she stood right at one end. She didn't even make it halfway the bridge. She started sobbing, holding in on her tears. There was someone on the bridge, looking at her.

Amber cried and cried. She shook her head trying to make herself think it's all a dream but no. It's all too real..

"Hey Amber.." He finally spoke. 

Amber dropped her things, she didn't care if anything would break inside. She ran. She ran into his arms..

"You're just too selfish you know?? You didn't even call me or anything."

"I can't, because if I did.?I'll have to fly wherever you were. I can't leave unfinished business can't I?"

Amber talked in between her cries saying how much she hated him. How much of a bastard he was.. He only smiled. He then cupped her face and kissed her. It was the last thing Amber needed to affirm his presence.

"I'm never going to leave you ever again.. I'm finally the man I know you deserve. I've missed you.. I love you Amber.."

"Are you crazy? I'll never let you out of my sight. Finally, I get to say it again. I love you too Key.. more than anything."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finale!  First and foremost, I just want to thank all of my subscribers for being patient with me all these months that I've been writing this fic. For patiently waiting for my updates and reading each chapter didligently. You, my readers are the reason why I kept going on in writing this fic.. Again, thank you so much! I hope you had a great time reading this fic. Don't worry! I'll be back very soon. Writing is one of my passions and asianfanfics had been an amazing outlet! I just need to think of a whole new story all over again.. :D Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH! and STAY TUNED FOR MY NEXT FIC!