Chapter 37- Bailed Out

Rescue Me

 

 
She felt it was something quite thick and hard. She can't grasped what's inside it. The cloth was just any ordinary bandana. It was black with pink flowers; again, nothing special. It was knotted tightly and securely. It'd been two days since it had been in her possession. She was glad to see halmeoni once again after such a long time. Halmeoni has gained weight since Amber last saw her; her cheeks have fattened up and she has a brighter aura with her. Amber was lying her head on her pillow when she jerked up to sit down. 
 
"Open at the right time, huh?"
 
Amber's fingers made its way to the knot that was locking what was inside. She was about to untie when her telephone rang. 
 
"Yeobosaeyo?"
 
"Amber-ah?"
 
"Myungsoo? Hey.."
 
"How'd you been? I'm sorry I haven't been able to hang out with you lately.."
 
"Ani. It's fine. How are your rehearsals?"
 
"They've been great. I still have several scenes to rehearse today so I called up instead since we can't meet again.."
 
"I see. Well, do good on that."
 
"Of course I will. Hey about we go out tomorrow?"
 
"Dinner? You still owe me a kimchi stew night.."
 
"Oh yeah! Can't do for dinner. How about let's make it kimchi stew lunch?"
 
"Okay.. That's fine with me."
 
"Okay. Hey, gotta go. Another run through.."
 
"Ohh. Okay.. Bye."
 
"Bye..I miss you."
 
"..."
 
"Amber?"
 
"I miss you too. Bye."
 
Amber put down the phone soon after she replied. His words flustered her.. Was she falling for him? She doesn't know.
 
---------
 
11:00am sharp.. They agreed to meet up exactly at 11:00am. Myungsoo still had rehearsals later that afternoon so they had to meet early to prevent him on running late..
 
"You're late by a good two minutes!"
 
"Can't you forgive me on that? I forgot my guitar halfway here.."
 
"I'm just kidding. Come on."
 
"Is it your treat?"
 
"My treat?! You're the one who owes me."
 
"Got you! Fine. My treat.."
 
They went to the same restaurant they've always been eating kimchi stew. It was a hearty meal. Amber ordered an extra kimchi stew for a single serve and had it wrapped.
 
"Is that for me?"
 
"No. I'm going to give it someone.."
 
"Who? Is it a guy?"
 
"Aneyo. I'm going to give it to a halmeoni of mine.."
 
"I see. Hey, Amber. I've got to go. Rehearsal will start in a few minutes and I've got to prepare.. Would you be okay?"
 
"Yeah.. I'll be fine. Take care."
 
Myungsoo swiftly left after he paid their bill. Amber took a bus to halmeoni's place, humming along the way, excited on what halmeoni's reaction would be towards the stew.
 
---------
 
It felt quite a long walk to halmeoni's place. A lot more lonely.. She hadn't been up the alley alone. Last time she was there, two days ago, halmeoni was with her. It felt as if the alley still had Key's presence which bugged Amber. No matter how much she tries to bury their memories they keep coming back whenever an instance would remind her of Key.
 
"Halmeoni?"
 
"Amber dear? Is that you?"
 
"Yeah. Halmeoni, I brought you something.."
 
"Kindly place it on the table dear.. I'll just fix something here."
 
Amber made her way to the dining area and found several bags of groceries on the table. The contents were unusually heavy for an old lady to carry and no taxi could really fit in the alley.
 
"You shopped for groceries halmeoni?"
 
"Ahh,, yeah yeah."
 
"But these look awfully heavy. You could've called me. I would've come right over to help you.."
 
"It's fine dear.. Omo. Is that kimchi stew?"
 
"Oh, this? Ung. I bought you some. Hope you like it.."
 
"Of course.  Thanks dear.. Oh, how about that? What are you holding?"
 
"Ohh, I bought a bag of treats for the kids I met at the playground near here.."
 
"Did he introduce you to them?"
 
"Yeah.. Quite some time ago."
 
"It's running late, I think you should go to them before they go home."
 
"I will. Sorry, I can't stay too long."
 
"No big, dear. Go on now.."
 
"Thanks halmeoni."
 
Before Amber closed in on the door as she made her way outside, "Halmeoni?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"I haven't opened the package you gave me the other day.."
 
"Open it when you know it's time dear."
 
"Okay halmeoni."
 
---------
 
She then wondered is the package related to Key in some way? Or is it entirely just for her? She can't really figure what's inside the cloth.
 
Amber now made her way to the playground bringing with her a bag of goodies for the kids. She missed talking and playing with them. She wouldn't mind playing with them though she's alone. Halfway though, she came across a man who really dressed up oddly. It was already September and the wind was indeed starting to get chilly but the man was heavily dressed it'd make you feel it's winter. He wore jeans, work boots, a black hoodie, a cap and a mask.. Only his eyes were seen. They made eye contact and that mere instance gave Amber goosebumps.
 
"His stare.." she whispered.
 
She shook it off and found Na Young near the entrance to the playground. What's weird though was that the kids were already enjoying themselves with Ice Cream Bars.
 
"Na Young?"
 
"Amber eomma??"
 
The girl ran towards her.
 
"Hi eomma.. What are you doing here??"
 
"I wanted to play with all of you and give out some treats but seems all of you already have Ice Cream.."
 
"Ung. There was this nice guy who gave it to us.."
 
"Huh?"
 
"We don't really know him. He wore a mask and a black jacket.. His eyes were really warm though."
 
"Black hoodie?"
 
"Uh-huh.." the little girl nodded.
 
"It can't be.." Amber whispered. 
 
Amber dropped the bag of cookies, candies and cupcakes she was holding and went after the man she saw earlier. She went as far as five blocks looking for him. He musn't have gone far since only a few minutes have only passed.
 
She was out of breath, having no luck locating the man. "You bailed out on me again.. Why?" She uttered.
 
Knowing that there is no longer a way to see him again then, Amber went back to the playground a little disheartened.. But she didn't want to show it since the kids might ask.
 
--------
 
In a small alley way just a few feet from the playground was the man. His heart was thumping like crazy, obviously hiding from something or rather someone.
 
He removed his mask and spoke, "Sorry Amber..I can't meet you now.. Not yet."
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Update! I kind of had a free time today so I wrote a chapter.. I was actually intending to make a double update but I might lose my whim on writing a chapter. So tadah! Here it is.. I think all of you pretty much have a clue who the man is right?? Hoho. Next one will be a good one.. Stay tuned!