Chapter 40- Appa

Rescue Me

She was his rock. She was the one person besides halmeoni, whom he knows he can talk to and be at ease. Key's mother was of Korean and French descent. She had an unusually sharp nose for a korean, her mother is french which cause her to have naturally brown eyes but she had jet black hair. Any man in her time would definitely fall for her. People tend to say that Key had his mother's eyes but to be honest he doesn't see a lot of resemblance. He looked a lot more like his father. His mother was very proud of him. She'd always wanted Key to be a normal kid and live a normal life.

--------------

Those were the thoughts that ran through Key's head when he was staring a picture of his mother in his room. He placed a picture of Amber right beside it. If only she were alive, Key would've been more than thrilled to let his eomma meet Amber. His mother was always more excited than him to meet a girl. He smiled at the memory of his mother but everytime he'd reminisce all the bad memories keep coming up. He'd always go back to the day that the accident happened. He was by the sidewalk, slightly bruised. He then saw a woman, only a few feet from him, in blood. It was his mother. He was in fear. He feared for his mother but instead his mother was smiling.. He pushed the boy's face towards her and whispered

"Eomma loves you Kibum.. No matter what happens, eomma loves you." Key just cried on until his eomma lost consciousness.

A knock on the door only took him out of his trance.

"Sir Kibum? They're here.."

"I'll be there.."

--------------

"You really like to make us wait don't you?"

"Sorry Jonghyun hyung.. I had to pile some papers."

Taemin and Jonghyun visited Key. He hasn't been in contact with them for a while so the two grew worried.

"You look thin hyung.."

"I'm fine Taemin. I've just been under a lot of stress lately especially now that the investors made an attempt to leave."

"How did it happen anyway?"

"Well, since I've replaced my father in the position of being the chairman. The investors had their doubts whether I could handle the responsibilty."

"Really? They did that?"

"Well, yeah."

"Hyung, how have you been?"

"I've already told you Taemin. I'm fine."

"No. I mean.."

"Ohh.."

"You know Key, Taemin's right.. How is it? Are you sure you can make it in time?"

"I'm not sure. I don't know if I can make it in time. It's still a lot to handle."

----------

The two left after the maids served them dinner.

Key had been busy the past few months. He hasn't been eating well and he missed halmeoni's place but knowing for a fact that Amber still visits frequently, he can't risk for them to meet so untimely. He still has a lot of things to fix.. Not only with the company but with himself. He has taken over the chairman position of the main company since his father hasn't been in good condition. His father has suffered two that year so the doctors have advised him to retire and just let somebody take over. Since he was back, his father didn't have second thoughts on giving up the position.

Key had been assigned to get to know the panel and members of the committee. He read the folder that he found in Amber's office since it contained the list  of all the investors. What he noticed that when he started reading the main administration members, the part where his father handled prior had a woman name "Song Qian". He took a good time to remember something and recalled that it was the woman who took interest in taking Amber's business away.

---------

Key's father wasn't always the firm type. He was a very loving husband and caring father. He's very filial. But after the death of his wife, Key's mother, he grew hard and cold towards other people. A lot of his employees started feeling intimidated but they understood where he was coming from.

"Mr. Kim is awaiting for you sir.."

"Okay.. I'll be there."

---------

"Sit down Kibum.."

"I can't believe you'd actually agree to meet me so soon. I was expecting you wouldn't answer me at all."

"So, how are things going?"

"Don't make a fool out of me.. I know you purposedly placed me on the chairman position to prove to me that I can't do it."

"Well, that doesn't seem to be the case. I have talked to a lot of the investors and they did say thay they like you."

"Most of them, but not all.. Two have already left.. You should remember that.."

"I'm not bothered my son. Besides, you are a business prodigy aren't you?"

"Just because I have a diploma, and I finished business school early that doesn't define my capabilities.. "

A woman soon came. It was his father's secretary. Key took a good look on her face. He stood up from his seat and made his way towards her.

"You?!"

Key had a grip on the woman's neck. It was her. It was Victoria.

"Kibum!"

Key faced his father. His eyes was filled with anger and tears that didn't want to fall.

"Let her go!"

Key took his hand away from her neck. She fell on her feet and started coughing and grasping for air.

"You?! Didn't you think I wouldn't know?"

Key had pushed his father unto his seat and put his arm on his father's chest.

"If you wanted to destroy me so much, you shouldn't have involved Amber in all of this! You and your dirty tricks!"

"I don't know know what you're talking about?!"

"Don't lie! I've had enough.. All my life appa, all my life I've ran away! All of this? Do you know how much pain this has caused me? I tried! I tried so much in the one year after eomma has died. I tried to please you.I tried to redeem myself. Do you know how I felt that everyday? People saw me as a monster. A monster that has brought demise to his mother but I never wanted that to happen appa!"

Key now had tears escaping his eyes.

"No son wants to jeopardize the life of his mother! Everyday in that one year, people here at home, my aunts and you! Even you.. You saw me as a monster. Of all the people appa.. Of all the people I thought you would understand what I was going through.. Of all the people, I thought you were the one I can lean on to the most because we both lost a woman precious to us. But no! Your stares appa.. They showed me how much you wanted me to just disappear in your life. And because of that.. Because of that I started to drive people off! I didn't trust people.. And when I finally found someone I can trust.. I lost her.. I lost her because I became like you! I let my emotions take over me.. I became a person I didn't want to be.. the least person I wanted to be. PAIN! Ever since eomma's death.. ALL I'VE HAD IS PAIN in this household.. I'm sick of it appa. You're not like this. You were never a man of schemes! l'd always look up to you ever since I was young.. Bring my appa back!"

Key removed his arm around his father's chest and stood up crying.. He used his arm to try and cover his face. He made his way to the door but before he was able to open it, his father spoke.

"Kibum! Listen to me."

"Your mother.. I met her when my father held a press conference. I was in my early 20s then, just like you when I met her. It wasn't love at first sight to be honest. In fact we got on each other's nerves until our relationship just came into place. She was the one Kibum. The one woman I knew I would always love. Right before your eomma died, she talked to me and told me two things. First, she said I should move on. She said that I should find a woman whom I think can replace her. I saw that possibilty in Yangui. I brought her that day in front of your mother's grave to introduce her. I thought it would be possible but it never happened.. Your mother was irreplaceable. You're right.. I was angry. I let my emotions take over me. When I learned of your eomma's accident the moment I stepped on the airport from Japan, I was devastated. I was scared to lose her.. It was foolish of me. I blamed you. And the second thing she told me? She said that I should always  look after you.. That I should always care for you. I wasn't able to live up to that.  I never saw you as a monster my son.. I was the monster. It was wrong of me to think of you like that. I know how much pain it has caused you.. But I never wanted to destroy you nor Amber. I did that, because I wanted you back! I wanted to make up for my sin Kibum.. I'm sorry."

Key didn't face his father. He stood there the whole time while his father was speaking. He then wiped the tears off of his face, opened the door and left.

-----------------------------------------------------

Another update. So, yeah.. Key finally confronted his dad about the whole "tension" between them. Few more. Thanks for reading! Stay tuned.