Chapter 4- That Night

Rescue Me

It was windy. I stared down. It was high. My feet were on the edge. My legs were shaky. I stared straight ahead and saw the view. I breathed in and it was the last one I saw..

(Alarm Clock)

It was the second time she dreamt of herself jumping off some sort of building. Amber was still on her bed. She looked at the time it was 6:00am. She has a business meeting that day. Truth be told, she doesn't want to go. But since it was a pretty big investor, she had to go.

"Ugh. Why does my life have to be so miserable sometimes?!" She shouted.

"Unnie, please keep it down." Luna said.

Amber covered . " Sorry Sunyoung"

She prepared herself. The meeting is set at 9am. It's only 8am. Her office isn't really that far so she opted to stay a bit longer and the TV. It was a news flash.

"Great news.."

It has been reported that business mogul best known as SK is once again criticized for exhibiting bad behavior. SK is a major investor in the Korean Stock Market but it has been said that at a recent meeting with the board, SK insulted several members of the committee starting a mild riot. Additional information will follow. This has been Kwon Lee Young.

"I should get going" Amber said as she turned off the TV.

Amber had this retailing business. She has various clients; budding designers, starting food entrepreneurs etc. Most of the brands she retails either become famous or gain a sustainable market once they leave her business. She was to retail a major brand that day. They will be building up a kiosk at her store. It was a cosmetics brand, Etude.

The meeting ended earlier than she expected. It was around 1:00pm when she finished. She decided to visit Key and his grandmother at the hospital. She hasn't been back for the past two days after the incident. She called Key to inform the boy she's coming.

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Hey, Key.. It's me. I was just wondering if it would be okay for me to vist right now?"

"Yeah. Sure. Grandma hasn't woke up yet but I wouldn't mind. Do what you want."

Amber put down the phone and headed to the ICU.

"Hey.."

"Hey."

"How is she?"

"She's been better. They monitor her readings everyday to check any progress. They say she's recovering as expected."

They sat there for about two hours doing nothing. Basically, they were just sitting down waiting for any signs of awakening from Key's grandmother. Until...

"Kibum?" Amber heard. She wondered who Kibum was.

"Kibum my dear?" She then snapped out of it and called Key.

"Key! I think your grandma is awake. Hurry!"

"Mwo?! Halmeoni?"

"Kibum dear? Where are we?"

Key was in tears. "We are at the hospital. Stay calm. I'll call the doctors."

"She's fine. It's good to know that she has gained consciousness. I recommend her to stay a bit longer until she is stable to be released."

Amber was touched by what she saw. She then saw a flight of stairs and climbed. Key noticed that Amber has gone missing after he talked to the doctor. He looked around the floor looking for her. After looking for her for so long, he noticed the stairs and climbed. But before that he bought two cans of iced coffee at the vending machine near the stairs.

"You were harder to look for than I expected." Key said as he laid the can on Amber's cheeks.

The girl was obviously surprised. "Ohh, hey Key."

They sat down at  a bench placed on the edge of the rooftop. They continued to drink their coffee.

"I'm jealous of you." The girl remarked. Key was taken aback what the girl said.

"What's to be jealous with me?"

"You get to see your family, even if she is just one member of your family."

"Why? Don't you get the chance to see your family?"

"Sadly no."

"They're in another country aren't they?"

"Yeah. Back in the USA actually."

"What brought you here then? Tell me."

"It all started when I was back there. Around 6 years ago. I just finished high school. My parents wanted me to go and be an engineer but I didn't want to. I've always been into business so I went to business school in secret telling them I went to university. They eventually found out but since I'm almost graduating by then they let me. After which I decided to go to Korea to start my business since the economy is starting to boom. They were completely against it. They said why did I have to migrate here. I didn't listen to them and went to a Korean tutorial school. I had to learn the language."

Amber paused then smiled. "And after all that, my life has never been a wilder roller coaster ride."

"Why is that?" Key asked.

"In that Korean tutorial school, that's where I met him... Henry."

"Your boyfriend?"

"More of ex-boyfriend."

"We met there. Apparently, he also plans to go to Korea to audition for a big music company here. I later learned we were both of Taiwanese descent which made the interaction a whole lot better. We talked a lot about the traditions we like, we didn't like and we related on how much our parents were against the career paths we were taking. Until one night.."

"One night what?"

"He asked me to be his girlfriend. We were happy. I was happy. I've always liked him but I never had the guts to actually tell him. We moved here to Korea after 7 months of being together. My parents approved by then because they were aware there was someone I knew when we came over here."

"So did you two live together?"

"We rented an apartment for about two weeks. But he had to move out because apparently he was casted at the audition. I was happy for him. He had to stay at the company's dorms. I didn't really like the idea but then I thought why not. We'll still get the chance to meet each other. Until things changed.."

"I decided to visit him one late evening but I saw him with a bunch of girls with s. I was really furious. I left without talking to him. I just texted him to tell him I can no longer make it. We met the next day and I planned to temporarily pause our relationship to have a short  break from it, until he knelt down and asked for my hand. Stupid me believed and said yes.."

"Why did you say it was stupid. Wouldn't you say it's supposed to be a glorious day?"

"Yeah.You could say that. After we got engaged, things started to get better then there was this one night he invited me to accompany him to a party sponsored by his company. I agreed but after I went to the comfort room I saw him with a woman. They were hugging each other. I shouted at him and then I left. The next day I went up to meet with him to apologize but.."

"But?"

"We broke up. I asked him why. I kept asking what I did wrong. But he didn't say anything besides the fact he said that he was tired of the relationship and he wanted to finish things for good. I was wreck that night. A total wreck."

Key wasn't able to say anything.

"Did you know that I met you two days after we broke up?" Amber laughed it off.

Key stared at the girl and stretched out his hand. He wiped the tears off of Amber's face.

Amber was surprised. She didn't realize tears fell. She can no longer hold it in and cried for good.

"I told myself I would be okay. I told myself that I can forget him in no time. But who am I kidding? We were planning for the wedding months before he broke up with me. I thought everything was going so well? Where did I go wrong?" Amber cried and cried. 

"Close your eyes." Key ordered.

"Mwo?" Amber was surely confused.

"Just close your eyes."

Amber closed her eyes.

"Now. I want you take a deep breath and imagine I was that Henry guy."

"Wait, why should I?""

"Shhhh.. Just do it. Imagine I'm Henry and let out your anger. Hit me. Tug my clothes I don't care."

"Sorry Key. I can't do that."

"Amber. Come on."

Amber heaved in a deep breath. With her eyes closed she started hitting Key.

"You bastard! Why did you do that to me? After all the things we've been through? I thought we were going to make it through 'til the end? You said you weren't going to leave me! You are such an .. You. you..."

Amber can no longer finish. She was consumed with tears and once again Key wiped the tears off of her face. He then opened the girls eyes and cupped her face. 

"Feeling better?"

She just nodded in agreement.

It was 6:00pm. The sun has already set.

"Too bad I wasn't able to see the sunset. It's your fault Key."

"Don't blame me. Don't blame yourself. Blame him. Blame Henry."

"I can't do that."

"Why not? Cause you think he didn't do anything?"

"Well."

"He did something and he was an for doing that to you. So blame him and don't ever get back with him. You deserve better. You could at least promise me that for bringing you coffee." Key smiled.

"I guess you're right. Sure Key. It's a promise."

"Hey Amber can I borrow your phone?"

"Uhh.yeah sure."

Key then dialled a series of digits. 

"I saved my number. Now if ever you need somebody to talk to call or text me. I saved my number under Coffee Man. It's my only way I could say thank you after helping me pay my grandma's bills."

Amber took her phone. She just stared at it and smiled. She didn't notice that Key was already heading downstairs.

"Hey wait for me!"

Key pretended he didn't hear anything.

Amber paused. She just shouted.

"Look, thank you. I needed that release. Thank you so much!" And so she ran chasing after Key.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Key pretended to be Henry to help Amber. How can things get any better? :)