Chapter 36- Halmeoni

Rescue Me

 

If there was something or someone Amber learned to miss, it was Key's grandmother. She became an adoptive grandmother towards her.
She was a strong woman that obviously was a rock for Key. She remembered the night when she was ridden in the hospital bed and Key
was an utmost mess not knowing what to do if ever he loses the "remaining" family he had. Then when she woke up with her hand holding
Key's grandma's hand, she never felt such warmth from an older person.
 
"Amber. Hey, Amber?"
 
"Ahh, yes?"
 
"You weren't listening weren't you?"
 
"Sorry Myungsoo, I ugh. Just remembered something.."
 
"I'm sorry I can't treat you to dinner tonight. Looks like our kimchi stew night will have to wait for another week.."
 
"No. It's okay.. I plan to rest at home for a while actually. It's been sometime I stayed at home for an entire day. I kind of miss
being a potato couch."
 
"You a potato couch? Seriously? You're too pretty to be a potato couch."
 
"Ugh. Okay.. Thanks."
 
"Whoops, Amber, I've got to go. I've got some rehearsals tonight! By the way, could you say hello to Luna for me? I haven't seen her in a while. Heard she's on an LOA or something. Bye!"
 
"Yeah. Sure.. Okay. Bye!"
 
Amber has gotten used to having Myungsoo around. In fact, she would start feeling weird whenever she feels that the boy isn't around her. He has been her shoulder through her rough times. But yet again, he's special but Key still owns her heart. But then, if the time came
she will have to choose between the two of them? Myungsoo might be the one she'd stick with.
 
------------
 
It's 7:00am and Amber was awake earlier than she expected. The once gloomy atmosphere it had a few months ago was gone. It has lightened up. She's gotten used to of not having Luna around her. It's been some time since she last visited and she bets Luna's tummy has gotten really big. Her trusted companion, sister, adviser is no longer with her. She's ready to start a family and Amber can't be more proud. Checking in on her groceries, the condiments were still pretty much complete but the supply of her meat and poultry was running low so she decided to visit the market later on that day. Her cellphone beeped, it was Luna.
 
"Unnie, want to come over for lunch today? Oppa will be cooking. Please unnie? See you."
 
"She never changes.."
 
It was a rather nostalgic way to Luna's place. Last time she was there she was messed up, crying like a baby.. It was a rainy evening and she kept on sobbing but felt numb from the pain of heartbreak.
 
"Luna, I'm here."
 
"Unnie!"
 
The girl exclaimed with joy. Luna has definitely missed Amber. She had always been a big sister for her and as much as possible, she'd want to involve Amber in her family especially now that Amber is away from her own.
 
"Did Onew oppa really cook this?"
 
"Ung. He said he learned to cook this when he went to Barcelona with a couple of friends a few years back.."
 
"Sorry, if it doesn't taste too good." the lad reminded.
 
Amber took a bite and she was surprised that it tasted better than she expected.
 
"This is actually quite good oppa. Luna's obviously well fed.."
 
"Shut up unnie! You know I'm pregnant. I have to eat well."
 
"I know! I'm just kidding. So, how's the baby? You're in your 5th month right?"
 
"Yeah.. I could actually start feeling minute kicks everynow and then. I also tend to let music play near my tummy so she could hear it.."
 
"She?"
 
"Well, we're not really sure yet actually. But I just feel it's a girl."
 
"No matter what the gender is, as long as it's healthy I'm a happy appa."
 
Luna smiled at her better half.
 
"I know this is out of the question, but do you guys have any plans to get married?"
 
Luna spat out what she was chewing not expecting such a blunt question from Amber..
 
"Why ask unnie??"
 
"Nothing. If ever, I just want to help organize that's all."
 
"We'll tell you, don't worry."
 
Amber left past noon thanking the couple for a scrumptuous meal. She did remember though that she had to shop for some groceries so she decided to pass by the local mart near Onew and Luna's place. As she was shopping around, she realized that the place wasn't really far from Key's place before. Smiling on the thought, she unknowingly bumped unto someone.
 
"Omo! I'm sorry.. I didn't.."
 
Amber took a good look at the lady. It'd been some since she last saw her. It was a delight meeting her again.
 
"Halmeoni?"
 
"Oh. Amber dear? Is that you??"
 
"Yes. Omo, It's been so long. Are you here alone halmeoni?"
 
"Yes. I'm looking for some groceries. Would you like to join me for dinner? It's been lonely since Kibum left."
 
"I'd love to!"
 
Amber completely forgot she had to shop for some goods on her own and just helped halmeoni carry some of the groceries back home. Her home wasn't far. Again, nostalgia. It has felt like forever since she last came to that place. The houses pretty much remained the same. She then noticed a little girl walking along the street who seemed rather familiar.
 
"Na Young?"
 
The girl looked at her and smiled widely. "Amber eomma?!"
 
"You know her?" Key's grandma asked.
 
"Yeah.."
 
Key's grandma smiled. "I'll be waiting for you inside okay?" Amber nodded.
 
The girl ran happily towards Amber.
 
"Hey, how've you been?"
 
"I'm good eomma! How about you?"
 
"I've been doing well. You came from school??"
 
"Ungg!"
 
"How's your studies? Are you studying well?"
 
"Yes! I want to be successful like you eomma!"
 
"Really? Then you must work hard, arasso?"
 
"Yeahp. Eomma?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"Where is Key appa? He hasn't come and played with us for a long time.."
 
"Key appa is working hard dear.. For all of you."
 
"Really? So is he the one that made the new playground for us?"
 
"Hmm?"
 
"Yeah! We have new slides, swings, monkey bars and there is even a new sandbox we could play in.."
 
"Yes. It's Key appa who made that for you but you have to keep it a secret okay? He doesnt' want you kids to know.."
 
"Omo? Really? Okay. I'll keep quiet.."
 
"Okay.. You should go home now okay? Be careful dear."
 
"Okay! Bye eomma!"
 
"Bye."
 
The girl bid her goodbye and Amber headed to Halmeoni's place.
 
"Sorry it took so long.."
 
"It's okay.."
 
Amber noticed that halmeoni's house had a "makeover". The walls were no longer crumbling and the floors weren't as squeaky as before.
 
"Seems you had the house fixed halmeoni.."
 
"I didn't want it actually. But Kibum insisted. He wanted me to move back into the house with him but I didn't want to. Instead he insisted to fix the house for me. I couldn't refuse."
 
Amber sat down.
 
"Tea?"
 
"Ahh, yes please.."
 
Halmeoni still had Amber's favorite tea. Amber was never an avid tea drinker but thanks to that tea, she has grown to love it.
 
"It still tastes great as ever.."
 
"How have you been my dear?"
 
"Me? It's ughh. To be honest, it's been rough halmeoni. These past few months have never been as stressful like any other."
 
"You must know the truth about Kibum's last name right? Mr. Kim, my son Jinho is his father.."
 
"Yeah. I was surprised actually. I didn't expect that he's.."
 
"He's the only child of one of the richest businessmen in Korea. I get where you're coming from.."
 
Amber paused. She somehow felt guilty towards halmeoni on how things turned out how they are. She bowed a full bow and apologized.
 
"Halmeoni, I'm really sorry! I wasn't able to fulfill my promise of helping Key! I made things worse.. But halmeoni, I never.."
 
"Shh. You don't need to apologize Amber, there's nothing you should be sorry for. I know you never wanted things to turn out like this.
I know hurting Key was never in your intent."
 
Amber grabbed on to her and cried. She can't understand whether she should be happy that someone understood or sad because she knows she didn't fulfill her promise and possibly it broke halmeoni's trust.
 
"Halmeoni, I tried my best. I thought it was enough.. I'm sorry I wasn't able to reach him.."
 
"Like I said, you shouldn't be sorry Amber. I had my chance to stop him dear. But he wouldn't listen.. I too was no longer able to reach him dear.
No one wanted this to happen.. So you shouldn't feel guilty about it."
 
Amber kept on crying, weeping and sobbing in Halmeoni's arms until she has calmed down.. Her stomach then started to grumble.
 
"I'm sorry. I'm hungry." She uttered like a little kid.
 
"Come on now, let's eat."
 
Halmeoni prepared a simple meal for them. Sweet and sour pork she had simmered the entire time the girl was crying.. She just brought out several servings of kimchi enough for the two of them. It was more fulfilling like any other dinner Amber has had. She was somehow at ease knowing Key's grandma wasn't mad at her.
 
"Thank you halmeoni. It's really delicious."
 
"I'm glad you like it dear.. Oh, could you wait here for one minute?"
 
"Ung."
 
Halmeoni wiped her hands and headed into her room. She brought with her a cloth which obviously held something.
 
"I want you to have this dear.."
 
"What is it?"
 
"I'm not in the position to tell you what it is. Open it once you know it's time.. I trust you dear.. I know you'll open it in time."
 
Amber just nodded completely clueless what could be inside the cloth. It was kind of hard which felt something like a pile of paper
but still she wasn't sure.
 
"Okay halmeoni.. I will."
 
-----------------------------------------------------
 
Double update! YEY! I wanted to give you guys a double update since I haven't been able to update so much lately..
Then, I would like to thank everybody for staying tune. Anyway, little by little the clues are revealing themselves one by one.
Halmeoni has played a major role in this chapter. Stay tuned for the scenes that are about to follow. Few more chappies dears!
Stay tuned!