Chapter 38-Unexpecting

Rescue Me

 

It was a flashback on the days when she was in a slump. The feeling of misery and sadness took over her when she felt that Key's presence was near her. She wanted to touch him, feel his skin, hold his hand and kiss his lips. She knew that he was there. She felt it in her core. Key's presence made her react in ways any other guy didn't. She herself never felt that way when she was with Henry.  It's like a tingling feeling that you'll just feel butterflies from the bottom of your stomach.
 
It's 9'o clock in the morning and Amber woke up with swollen eyes, puffy face and messed up hair. She didn't like it. She said to  herself "Not again.." Things had been going smoothly for her. But yesterday's incident made everything flash back into her.. His smile, his eyes, his hair, his skin, his clothes, his scent, his lips, his touch and kiss. Everything about Key she started to miss.
 
(Door bell)
 
"Are you serious?"
 
Taking small steps on her way to the door, Amber wasn't too excited to have people over, not like that..
 
"Amber?"
 
It was Myungsoo. Amber averted from his gaze so he wouldn't notice that she had been crying because her eyes were extremely swollen. She bowed her head down as she invited the lad in.
 
"I brought breakf.. Woah, woah.. Wait."
 
"What?"
 
"You look.."
 
"It's nothing."
 
"Your eyes are swollen Amber. Did you cry or something?"
 
"No.."
 
"Really? Come on. Let me take a look.."
 
"It's lack of sleep. I'm fine.."
 
"Amber. Please."
 
"Myungsoo! Please.. Let it go. I'm fine..  That's it."
 
Amber isn't really a great liar. Myungsoo wasn't stupid enough not to know she cried. The only thing he doesn't know is what was the reason behind those tears.
 
--------
 
She had a great time playing with the kids. She was given the chance to temporarily forget about the worries of the world just like kids. She only thought of playing and having fun, sweet childhood. But soon as she stepped back home, she can no longer hold it in. The tears came running down as she refreshed all the memories they shared back there. The day when they fed the kids together and played with them. The smile she witnessed painted on his face, a smile she knew she was given the exclusivity to see. The way he tucked in her hair in her ear. Amber felt a shiver down her spine as she reminisced. The scene of seeing him pout his lips as he pleaded for another portion of the meal. He was the most adorable thing. The moment he introduced her to the kids as their eomma. She was never a child person, but thanks to him she had learned greater appreciation of the world because of them. She sobbed herself to sleep unexpecting she'd wake up with such swollen eyes.
 
-------
 
She fixed herself up soon as they finished the simple breakfast Myungsoo bought at a convenience store. Myungsoo acted a little cold towards Amber. The girl felt guilty, it must've been because she shouted at him for no real reason. She sat down beside him and saw how much he was trying to act
tough.
 
"I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to shout at you like that. I didn't mean it in a bad way. I just had a bad morning. I had a complete lack of sleep last night I was grumpy."
 
He faced her and held unto her shoulders.
 
"Look, I'm not mad or anything, okay? It just hurts me when you not let me ask you if you're fine or not. I care for you okay?
Let me at least care for you, especially now that you live alone.."
 
Amber just nodded.
 
"Now that you owe me, let's go out for coffee maybe?"
 
"When? right now?"
 
"Yeah, right now!"
 
--------
 
They headed on downstairs and made their way to the nearest coffee shop. It was just a few blocks away so they decided to walk.
 
"Did you know that I didn't used to like tea?"
 
"Really? Why?"
 
"I don't know.. I didn't grow up drinking to it. You do know that I grew up in the U.S.A. right?"
 
"Yeah.. So, what made you like tea after all this time?"
 
"Well, there was this one particular tea that I tasted.."
 
Amber didn't notice that Myungsoo walked off and went to a nearby restaurant. He was quite in a rush. She saw from the distance that he was talking to a woman. She had short hazelnut red hair. She was quite tall and quite a thin physique to her. "She's really pretty." Amber thought.
 
"Hey!" Myungsoo shouted.
 
The girl didn't turn around. She was facing her back towards Myungsoo so the lad approached her.
 
"I was right! It is you!"
 
The girl seemed stunned. She stood and shared a hug with Myungsoo.
 
"L? What are you doing here?" She asked.
 
"Ahaha. L? Until now? Give me a break. That was so high school! I'm just going to grab a cup of coffee. You? What are you doing here?"
 
"Just relaxing.. I'd been in a lot of stress lately."
 
"Ohh, by the way, I'd like you to meet somebody!"
 
The look on the girl's face shifted. "Who?" She asked quietly.
 
"A friend! Wait here."
 
Myungsoo ran back to Amber.
 
"Who was it?"
 
"It's an old friend of mine. A really close one in fact.. I'd like you to meet her.."
 
"Wwwwaiit! I didn't even fix myself or anything."
 
"You're fine! Come on."
 
Myungsoo dragged Amber towards the girl. The moment they faced each other, both their eyes widened in surprise. The opposite was a person each thought they'd ever have a mutual connection with.
 
"Amber?" the girl asked.
 
"Nn..Nana?" She uttered.
 
Myungsoo was taken aback, surprised on the fact that they knew each other.
 
"Woah woah.. Hold up. You two know each other?"
 
Both nodded in agreement.
 
"Wait, I'm lost. How? Since when?"
 
"She worked at a company my father has an affliation with."
 
"Is that true Amber?"
 
"Yeah.."
 
"This is too cool.."
 
"So, L? Have you two eaten?"
 
"L?" Amber asked.
 
"Ahh, that's my nickname back in high school. My schoolmates said I looked like a character from Death Note, so they called me L.  Nana was my classmate back then and she became a really close friend."
 
Amber noticed that the light on Nana's face just dimmed when Myungsoo uttered the word "friend",
 
"So, again, have you two eaten lunch?"
 
"Not really.." the lad replied.
 
"I see. Care to join me? Eating alone could get a little lonely.."
 
"I'd love to! I mean, if Amber doesn't mind.."
 
"No! It's fine. I don't mind at all."
 
"Perfect!"
 
They all took their seats and Nana called on the waiter to make orders. Amber took a good look on Nana. She hasn't really appreciated her beauty before. She had fine skin. It was obviously well taken care of. She had long fingers and her wrist was really slim. She also had great fashion sense. She didn't wonder why Key agreed to marry her in the first place. She was one fine specimen.
 
Myungsoo and Nana shared hilarious conversations reminiscing their high school days.
 
"Do you remember the time when we snuck to the school to see if their were ghosts?" Myungsoo asked.
 
"Yeah! You were really scared then.. You even hid behind Sunggyu when we went out that night."
 
"I did not!"
 
They shared laughs and Myungsoo tried his best to let Amber engage with the conversation. She shared laughs and smiles along it but she can't deny that she was kind of left out and felt a little awkward. She'd always try her best to not look at Nana and avoid eye contact with her.
 
Nana noticed it. The truth is she wants to talk to Amber alone. She's just finding the right timing to "drive off" Myungsoo.
 
"L, do you remember my favorite snack?"
 
"The exclusive Pororo Pepero?"
 
"Yeah. I'm really craving for it.."
 
"What do you want me to do about it?"
 
"Could you buy it for me?"
 
"What?! No! I wouldn't.."
 
"Come on? Please L oppa??"
 
"The store that sells that is almost an entire football field from here!"
 
"Pleaseee?? I'll keep Amber company."
 
Amber flustered.
 
"Ugh. Fine.. Wait here."
 
"Thanks oppa!"
 
Myungsoo left as Nana planned and saw this as the perfect opportunity to talk to Amber.
 
Nana took a sip of her coffee and spoke. "You're really tense the entire time."
 
"Was it that obvious?"
 
"Well, yeah." 
 
"Look, I didn't want it to seem offensive. I mean, I can't.."
 
"I get it.. I understand it actually. L, he seems really fond of you. How'd you two meet?"
 
"Well, you see. He is a friend of my former roommate in university. We had a setup a few months back but it didn't really work out."
 
"What do you think of him? He's a year younger than you right?"
 
"Not really.. just a few months. Myungsoo, is someone I'd say that is really goal driven. He is quite persistent."
 
"This may seem a little blunt, but do you like him?"
 
"Ahh, well. I'd be lying to you if I'd say he wasn't special in some kind of way but I'd be lying to myself if I'd say that I already love him or what. He's guy I wouldn't want to hurt but I did say to him in the first place I can't promise him anything. He insisted anyway.."
 
"He's never changed. He'd always been like that.. Even back in high school, he liked a girl so much. He only stopped on pursuing her when she got herself a boyfriend. I got really mad at her for treating Myungsoo like that. He deserved better.."
 
"You seem to care a lot for him."
 
"I do.. A lot. L, is.. Uhmm.. This may be awkward to ask, but I presume you do know where Key is now right?"
 
"Yeah. Jonghyun oppa has told me when we met a few weeks ago.."
 
"I see. I saw him the other day actually.. I went to the company and talked to Key."
 
"I'm sorry I wasn't able to.."
 
"We don't really have much of THAT event happening anymore."
 
"What?"
 
"I talked to him a few days back. I cancelled it."
 
"But..."
 
"I knew Key way back when we were kids, Jonghyun oppa and Taemin as well. My father is a good friend of his father so our marriage had already been
set even before we knew what love is. When I grew up, I was completely neutral about the issue.. I didn't care basically. But when Key agreed months ago, I was actually
happy. Do you remember the day when I met you at the office?"
 
"Yeah."
 
"That was just a few days after he agreed to do the wedding. I also saw how Key looked at you. I didn't want to believe at first. I tried to believe that perhaps he's just friendly.. But turns out I'm wrong. The way he looked at you, it was the exact way I know how I look at him. I suppose you've already noticed? I mean.. I'm really weak when it comes to him. I haven't really told him before. I never had the guts. You know what? I'm envious of you.. You have two great guys
going after you. But I can't hate you for it. I care for Key the way you care for Myungsoo. I know this may be hard to believe but I didn't really have super romantic feelings
toward Key but when I saw how much you two were happy, I felt jealous. That's why I asked you to move away. It is kind of petty..  Surprisingly though when I told the news to my father that I decided to cancel the wedding, he didn't get mad.. Not one bit. I was surprised  but I didn't mind. I'm glad he's all accepting of my decision."
 
"Nana.. I don't know what to say."
 
"I know. It's weird right? You know, I too am surprised with myself. Key's a great guy. He'd make a good husband.. But I don't know. I can't reach him in a way you could. Those smiles he shared with you? He didn't smile like that even when we were young. His smile when he is with you? It's a smile of complete joy. (Sigh) Damn Key.. Let's just say I dumped him before he was able to."
 
Nana smiled and Amber covered her face. She was speechless. She doesn't know whether she should cry, smile, laugh or jump up in joy.
 
"I'm sorry.. I really don't know what to say."
 
"Don't hate Key for all of this Amber. I don't know the story between you two, but I know he how much Key loves you..He said. Oh and about L, if you hurt him? If you ever hurt him, remember.. I wouldn't think twice."
 
-----------
Myungsoo arrived completely out of breath.
 
"Sorry, it took so.. Hey, wait.. Where's Amber?"
 
"She went on ahead. She texted you.. It was about her business, an emergency perhaps.."
 
Myungsoo checked his phone.
 
Sorry Myungsoo, I've got to go. An emergency came up.
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
So, the wedding is off. Hoho.. Should Amber be happy about this? Few chapters left.. Ugh. I'll miss writing for this fic.
Stay tuned for the remaining ones! Thanks BBs!