Chapter 34- Trying

Rescue Me

 

 
Reckless, Free-spirited, Risk taker, young and a little naive; the five best adjectives Amber can use to describe Myungsoo.
He had been one persistent bundle of energy since they've started "hanging out" a month and a half ago. Amber was fully aware
that Myungsoo has feeling for her but she wasn't ready to engage herself in a relationship. She wasn't ready to let in another
man into her life thinking they'll just break her heart all over again. However, it seems the lad's effort has paid off. 
Amber doesn't feel anything for Myungsoo but she's got to admit he's become special. Though the wounds are still fresh, she was
willing to give Myungsoo a chance even though she did say she can't promise anything. The boy accepted all conditions. He didn't
care. All he knows is that Amber approved of him, finally.
 
-------
 
It was a fairly warm afternoon. Amber has spent her entire day managing the store with her employees. A new client came in and
Amber was glad her business has been doing great. She was by the cashier until a tiny wallet sized picture caught her sight. It was a
picture of hers and Key. It was when they went out to buy ice cream but ended up in a photobooth. They took tons of pictures but that
was the only one that got printed out. Amber had this llama face while Key was doing a bbuing bbuing pose. But instead of smiling,
a hint of sadness creeped in Amber. She diverted her attention from it. She got a text message soon after from Myungsoo, they met up
for dinner. They went at the usual Kimchi Stew restaurant Myungsoo showed Amber. Again, like ever before, the boy gobbled up the food.
 
"Hey, I give you a go signal.."
 
"A go signal? I didn't bring my car.. What are you talking about?"
 
"A go. About, you know.. What you asked me?"
 
The boy's teeny weeny eyes widened. "Really? Omo!"
 
"Yeah! But wait.. I can't promise you anything.."
 
"I don't care! Do you know what this means?? He stood up and shouted "all bottles on me!"
 
The people inside shouted as Myungsoo picked Amber up and swayed her from left to right. He's really happy.
 
---------
 
It was midday and Myungsoo decided to accompany Amber to the groceries. The girl tends to buy minimally at a nearby mart but it's becoming bothersome on her part so the boy volunteered to accompany her to the supermarket. The two were busily talking until Amber bumped unto someone.
 
"Omo. I'm really sorry.."
 
"No, I'm fine.."
 
"Oppa? Jonghyun oppa? Is that you?"
 
"Amber?"
 
"Oh my gosh, oppa! How've you been?"
 
"I'm good though the office got a lot worse since you left.. I've been busy."
 
"I'm sorry. You must have a lot of clients?"
 
"Fairly enough.. though Key-goon is no longer handling us.."
 
"Mwo? Why?"
 
"Well, he decided to handle a main office of the Kim Corp. The office we work in is like a branch.."
 
"I see.."
 
"Oh, you have someone with you? I'm sorry.."
 
"Ahh, yes oppa. This is Myungsoo, he's uhh..my friend.."
 
"Ohh, hi." Jonghyun greeted.
 
The lad just bowed.
 
"Amber, I've got to go. Still got some work to do at the office. See you some time? Coffee perhaps?"
 
"Yeah, sure oppa.. Bye."
 
Jonghyun was no longer able to bid goodbye. The lad was already busy on his cellphone talking to somebody, perhaps a client.
 
The two carried on.
 
"Is he a friend of yours?"
 
"Yeah, a good one actually. He's like a brother to me."
 
"Really? 
 
"Yeah.. Come on."
 
------------
 
They got on their business in buying groceries. Dinner soon followed. They were in the middle of conversation until Amber's phone ringed. She brought it out to check it but instead disregarded it. 
 
"Who was it?"
 
"No one. It's an unknown number.."
 
The barrage of phone calls continued for the entire night. It was only a matter of time Amber got irritated and turned off her phone. 
 
"Are you sure it's no one? Want me to answer it?"
 
"No. It's fine.."
 
They finished soon and Myungsoo helped Amber bring the groceries back to her place. They entered her condo.
 
"You can place the groceries over there.."
 
The lad put down the groceries and started to bring out the goods.
 
"That's no longer necessary.. I can finish them later.."
 
"No! It's all good. I might as well help you."
 
"Thanks."
 
The two finished keeping the groceries in no time. It was getting quite late so Myungsoo had to head back home. Amber led the boy down the hallway by the elevator.
 
"Bye. Be careful on your way.."
 
"Thanks.."
 
Right before Amber could turn around, Myungsoo grabbed her by the arm and pulled her into a hug. Amber was a little surprised but suprisingly she didn't push him away.
 
"Don't hate me for this.. But I want to hug for the longest time. I've been scared to do so because you might avoid me because of it. But because of the calls, I'm scared for your safety. I want to protect you Amber.."
 
 He tightened the hug but he did notice that Amber wasn't really hugging back. It was painful for him but he understood. He doesn't want to rush Amber into things.. He just wants to let her feel that he's always there. He let go of the hug and bid goodbye. Amber smiled in return.
 
--------
 
Two more days passed and Amber was busy talking with clients. She wasn't able to meet Myungsoo. They've been going out most of the time and Amber doesn't really mind. She can see sincerity in the boy's action. A few more months and she may actually fall for him. She was on her way home until a man crept up on her. By instinct she slapped the person with her bag.
 
"Okay, I think I deserve that.."
 
Amber, of all the people didn't expect who it was. He was the last person she'd want to see in the remainder of her lifetime.
 
"What the hell do you want Henry?"
 
"Can we talk?"
 
"You've been pestering me, and kept on calling me.. Can't you get a hint that I don't want to talk to you?"
 
"I've got something to tell you.."
 
"Leave me alone.."
 
Amber started to walk away but something made her stop..
 
"I've got something to tell you! It's about you and Key.."
 
She made her way back to Henry and said, "Talk.."
 
"It's a private matter. Let's talk somewhere else. Please, hear me out.."
 
Amber practically went with Henry against her will. But she wanted to go, he did say it was about her and Key. Whatever it is, she wanted to know.
 
"This better be good Henry.."
 
There was a hint of guilt on Henry's face. She can't understand where it could be coming from but she was sure he wanted to talk.
 
"Did you ever receive a set of photos of you and me in Jeju?"
 
"Photos?"
 
"Yeah, like when we ate dinner or something.."
 
Amber can't really remember what photos Henry was talking until she remembered the photos Key received.
 
"I didn't receive them. Key did."
 
"I know where it came from.. And ughh.."
 
"And?"
 
"The whole coincidence of us meeting in Jeju is not a coincidence."
 
"What do you mean?"
 
"I was hired by somebody to go to Jeju and accompany you. He wanted you and Key to break up.."
 
"Are you serious? Hired?  Who would believe that Henry?"
 
"I'm serious.. It was Key's father.. I met with him personally. He wants his son back but knowing you were with him, he wanted you out of the picture. And the whole issue with the company? Key doesn't know anything.. He's not part of it."
 
"Could you just stop?! All of this? Why only now Henry? Huh??? Do you know how messed up my life has been because of you?? And all of this? Who'd believe you? I can no longer believe a single word coming out of your mouth. Key is the son of the man that wanted to take away my business! It's impossible he didn't know..."
 
"I know I've been an Amber.. But at least believe me on this one! For Key!"
 
"It's over between us Henry.. I've had enough of this bull. I'm going.."
 
Amber stood and left the store they were staying at..
 
"Amber! Think about it! Key would never want to hurt you! Remember, he doesn't know any of this!" Henry shouted.
 
Amber tried to not listen anymore. It was a lot to handle. Hired? Break apart? It was all too much to take in especially when she's in the process of moving on from her relationship with Key. Tears started to well in her eyes but she wiped them before they could even fall down. She doesn't want to cry because of Key anymore. She's tired of suffering because of him. But what's more frustrating on her part is because she knows she's weak around Key. She still loves him, with all of her being. He was still the one. But Myungsoo has been so good to her, she doesn't want to disregard the boy's feelings.
 
She's been trying. Things were going well but seems like another drift is coming.
 
---------
 
"I've talked to her. You must hurry.."
 
"Thank you dear. I will. Stay safe.."
 
"Thank you."
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Sorry I wasn't able to update for the past few days.. School is the most burdensome, fun, stressful thing that's killing me these days.
Talk about an exam. D: Anyway, Henry "revealed" what could've happened but Amber doesn't really believe him. But I mean, can he blame Amber? The trust she once had was totally gone. Tsk! Then again, few more bits and details before things come to an end. Teehee! But still have some chapters up my sleeve. Stay tuned dears! Thank you!