Chapter 18- Reconciliation Part 2

Rescue Me

 

Amber bummed herself out for missing Key's calls the previous night. She wasn't able to sleep so well
because it bothered her if Key got mad at her for not answering. She's decided to always bring her cellphone
with her so she can no longer miss any calls. She was scheduled to have another talk that with a new set of 
students. She performed her usual introduction and they proceeded to the questions. A female student started.
 
"Ms. Amber, how did you feel when you came to Korea?"
 
Right before answering, Amber scanned the audience and as promised Henry was indeed watching.
 
"I wasn't alone when I came to Korea. I came with ughh.. My friend. But of course like any other foreigner,
I had this fear of venturing into a battlefield I don't know. I can only speak conversational Korean by then
so getting through a day was quite hard. My poor skills then in reading Hangul also added difficulty. But
of course, I was able to adapt to the lifestyle and here I am."
 
"If you were to pick one person for the success of your business. Who would it be and why?"
 
"Wow, that is a hard question."
 
Various people came into Amber's mind, her family, friends, Key..
 
"I don't want to be narcissistic or anything but of course I'd have to thank myself. Why you ask? Well of course
my business is a product of my hardwork. It's the embodiment of years of critical thinking, judgements, money..
Also, though I've experienced frustrations I didn't give up. If you're going to think about it, if I gave up
then my business would be nothing by now. Thus, I think I'm always held liable and responsible for the success
of my business."
 
The students clapped as Amber left the stage. Henry came close to Amber.
 
"Friend? Seriously friend?"
 
"Henry don't start this conversation with me.."
 
"I'm kidding! Come on."
 
"There's an American buffet today at the restaurant, want it for lunch?"
 
"Nah. I'm not hungry."
 
"Come on? Please." Henry pleaded with this puppy eyes. Amber can't resist that tactic.
 
"Ughh. Fine..Lead me Mr. Lau."
 
Henry took Amber to the restaurant and both were overwhelmed with the multitude of Amberican dishes there were.
There were BBQ ribs, triple stacked burgers, unlimited fries, pizza, hotdogs, name it.
 
"Oh my gosh, this is heaven.." Amber remarked.
 
"I knew you'd like it. Let's eat!"
 
Amber and Henry took the opportunity to indulge in the food they've missed eating back in the USA. They had 
a feast and their stomachs definitely bloated up.They were both happy, so were their stomachs. Amber then felt
a vibration in her pocket.
 
"Henry, excuse me."
---
She looked at it and it was Key..
 
"Oppppaaaa~!!" She said cutely.
 
"Woah, Ambeo-yah!"
 
"How are you oppa?"
 
"I'm good. Here I am missing you.. You sound really happy. What's going on?"
 
"There's this American buffet at the hotel we're staying. Uhh mazing! I'm with Hen...Hannah. She's one of
the organizers. We should go here!"
 
"Okay.. Glad your happy. I've got to go.. Got to get back to work.. Bye. Love yah!"
 
"Bye oppa. Love you too.."
 
----
 
"I'm going to get more fries, want anything?"
 
"Ahh no.. I'm good. Maybe a blueberry cheesecake for dessert.."
 
"Okay, coming right up.."
 
Amber kind of lost the happy spirit after talking to Key. It had been the second time she lied to Key. 
What's worse is she keeps lying because it's Henry.
 
"I hope he won't mind." She mumbled.
 
"Here you go." A slice of Blueberry cheesecake appeared on front of her.
 
"Thanks."
 
"Are you free tonight? Let's eat out.. I know a good place a few miles from here."
 
Amber still feeling guilty on what's she's doing decided to refuse.
 
"Sorry Henry, I'd like to have the night for myself. You know? A little R&R on my own.."
 
"I understand. How about tomorrow morning? Please? I'll be leaving tomorrow afternoon."
 
"Okay, I'll see you then."
 
They've already finished and Amber went back to her room. She opened her laptop and sought for internet connection.
She checked her email and saw that a new client was willing to meet her. She replied that they can schedule a meeting
once she gets back from Jeju. After surfing she was left nothing to do.
 
"Life sure is boring when Key oppa is not with me.. My life has become a lot more colorful since he arrived."
 
Amber unknowingly dosed off only to wake up in the middle of the night. She checked her phone but no message or call was
shown. She looked at the time it was already 3:00am.
 
"I slept that long?? 10 hours? Ugh.. I bet oppa is asleep now. Might as well go back to sleep.."
 
And she did.. Several hours though, around 7:00am, she was awakened by a call. It was Henry.
 
"Hello?"
 
"Hey, Amber.. Hurry! Wake up. We have to get the food place I'm referring to yesterday! A lot of people eat there."
 
"Okay, I'll be down in a bit."
 
Amber changed her clothes and they headed to the food place Henry was talking about once she finished.
 
"What is this place?"
 
"It's like a local cafe. I've been to Jeju during one of our city tours so I saw this place back then.."
 
"Really? It seems really neat here."
 
They ordered breakfast and had a little chit chat until one of the students from the forum approached them.."
 
"Ms. Amber?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"Hi, I'm Jinmi from the forum. I just want to say that I've been really inspired by your words.."
 
"Really? Wow.. Thanks. I'm glad I could be an inspiration to someone."
 
"Can I ask for a picture?"
 
"Sure thing."
 
----
 
"Thanks Ms. Amber.."
 
"You're welcome."
 
"Oh, is he your boyfriend? You two look really good."
 
"Ahh, no. Ugh. This is my friend Henry.."
 
"Hi."
 
"Hey."
 
"Ms. Amber, I've got to go. Thank you and more success!"
 
"Thanks Jinmi, take care on your way back.."
 
----
 
"She seems a sweet girl..She even mistook me for your lover."
 
"Yeah. Aaha."
 
Amber tried to hide it but the girl's remark kind of bugged her.
 
After eating breakfast, Henry took Amber to a nearby park which is kind of overlooking the lake.
 
"It's really nice here isn't it?"
 
"Ahh, yeah."
 
 
"Oh, is he your boyfriend? You two look really good." It kept rewinding inside her head.
 
As Henry tried to reach his hand out to invite Amber back down, the girl withdrew her hand and spoke.
 
"Henry, I can't do this."
 
"huh? What too tired to go down?"
 
"No. I mean this, us.. I can't do it."
 
"What do you mean? Everything's been fine. Is it because of Key?"
 
"Yes, it's because of him."
 
"Amber, she's just your boyfriend. He has no right to forbid you in making friends."
 
"It's not that! I can't do this to him.. I can't have a good time with you here when he's over there.."
 
"Amber come on.."
 
"No! You were all that I had Henry.. You were the only one I trusted. When you left me I was a wreck.. A complete mess!
I'd cry for weeks figuring out where I went wrong, what happened. We were supposed to get married, damn it. But you left me.
I had no one then. But Key, he came. He came and saved me. I was about to jump off a stupid bridge because of my misery
but he stopped me. It's as if we were meant to meet each other. I loved you Henry.. I loved you so much but you broke that.
And that's how it will always be. I loved you. But I have Key now.. And I want to be with him more than anything else.
I'm sorry Henry. But let's not meet again.."
 
As Amber tried to walk away, Henry grabbed her arm and hugged her.
 
"Amber, I'm sorry. I don't know what I have to do to make it up to you.."
 
"There's nothing to do Henry.. I've already forgiven you. But that's the best I can do. Please, let me go."
 
"Amber.."
 
"Let me go! Please."
 
She then pushed herself away.. "I'm sorry. But please, leave now.."
 
Henry took off. Amber just sat there crying.
 
-------------------
 
"Well done. These are really good. I knew I could trust you on this."
 
"Of course sir, I never do a job messily.."
 
"How about him?"
 
"We still need him."
 
"Are we going to.."
 
"Yes we are.."
 
"When?"
 
"Why not today. He'll receive it tomorrow. Do it now.."
 
"Yes sir."
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
At the end of the day, Amber still chose Key.. Poor Henry though. Another update coming up!