Chapter 33- Diversion

Rescue Me

 

It was bright. The room was filled with a breeze she couldn't comprehend on where it's coming from. She looked around. 
Arrays of chairs filled the hall with spaces in between making aisles for people to pass through. She was confused. The floors
were also clad with white rose petals spread everywhere. She bent down only to realize she was wearing a white dress. A beautiful
white dress embellished with pearls and diamonds. A man then came walking towards her. He was a familiar figure but she didn't stare
at his face. She stood up not realizing the man made his way past her. He completely passed her. He kept moving forward towards the
altar. Another woman dressed in white was waiting for him. She cried on seeing  it. She watched the entire thing when they were
bound to kiss and as the two's lips almost touched. She ran.
 
--------------
 
Amber woke on her bed crying and shivering. It'd been three days since she's been having same dream. It's the same scenario. It has begun haunting her. She felt that the man was Key. She'd always expect that he'll come and pick her up but no. He'll always go past her and head on to the woman by the altar who she obviously felt was Nana. Amber's been trying her best to move on and forget Key.  But she can't help it. Seeing him marry another woman would be too much to bear. It would shatter her even more.
 
She can no longer go back to sleep after waking up from such a horrible dream. She's been in her condo for the last three days.
She rarely goes out. She'd only head downstairs for some supplies at home but rarely does she visit the mall. Also, after work,
she'd usually go back anticipating a greeting but later on she'll remember that Luna isn't with her anymore. The girl is starting
a family happily with the man she completely adores. She's envious of her but she's happy for Luna from the bottom of her heart.
The girl is like a sister to her and her happiness is the only thing she could wish for. 
 
Amber would gently place her keys on her desk. It was only then she noticed it was a mess. Papers were scattered. Wrappings of
chips were left and paper cups of coffee were emptied. She gathered and piled each one. Her already saddened face turned a lot more
gloomy. Those papers she was holding, it reminded her everybit of it. It'd been three weeks since she left that job. The proposals
she held in her hands reminded her of the cut short happiness she had in the office. She loved him more than anything. But her heart is shattered. She wants to forget. Her cellphone then rang, she looked up to see who it was. She unconsciously displayed a faint smile. It was Myungsoo. He's being a good friend to her. Three weeks ago, when they met in the bar. She knew that Myungsoo isn't so bad after all.
 
"I've got something for you. Open the door." he texted.
 
Amber didn't believe it.
 
"Nice trick but no.." she replied.
 
"Seriously, open it."
 
Amber walked towards her door. She was expecting a box of something but instead it was Myungsoo at the door.
 
"Told you I've got something for you?"
 
"What?"
 
"Me!"
 
"Very funny Myungsoo, very funny."
 
"Can't you have at least a sense of humor.."
 
Amber casually invited Myungsoo in. She has grown to trust the boy. He was finally someone she can consider a 'friend'.
 
"You cooking?" he asked.
 
"Nope. But I will.."
 
"Can I cook with you?"
 
"I prefer to work alone Myungsoo. I'm telling you.. I'm messy at the kitchen.."
 
"It's okay. I'll clean up your mess. Please?"
 
"Do whatever you want. But don't blame me if you get hurt by an accident or something.."
 
"Yes Ma'am!"
 
The girl craved for calamari that day. She just felt like eating it. She bought two large squids which was more than enough for two.
The usual ritual, she cleaned it, removed the ink and marinated it a little bit of lemon and ginger to remove the fishy smell from it.
Myungsoo volunteered to prepare the batter. Amber was to deep fry the squid. As she waited patiently for her first batch to cook up. Myungsoo came up with a brilliant idea to annoy the hell out of Amber, blow flour on the girl. He took a handful and called on the girl. As soon as she turned around he blew the flour all on the Amber's face. The girl was caught off guard. She coughed hard as it seemed she has inhaled it. But then she sneakily grabbed a handful as well and blew it on Myungsoo. A flour fight was waged as the two made a mess of the kitchen.
 
"Something smells like it's burning.." Myungsoo said as he sniffed the air..
 
"My calamari!!!" Amber shrieked.
 
She ran frantically by the stove only to find out  several pieces of her calamari got burnt.
 
"Ohh my. What a waste.."
 
"Is it burnt? Sorry.."
 
"No. There's still a lot more actually but it's a waste that we didn't get to eat them.."
 
"We?"
 
"Yeah. We'll eat them."
 
Myungsoo smiled with what Amber said. He has liked Amber ever since Luna has set up the date. He found the girl endearing and attractive. There was an aura she exuded that presented she can be one of the boys yet a girl you'd want to protect. He stared at the girl's smiling face. That smile could just move people's hearts. Flour was covering Amber's face and he reached out to wipe it off. Amber felt it and backed away. Myungsoo withdrew his hand understanding that Amber didn't really like it..
 
"Sorry, I.."
 
"Come on. Let's cook new ones. I'm hungry.." She cutted him off.
 
Finally after a failure on the first trial, undercooked squid on the second and golden perfection on the third, they finished cooking the squid.
Myungsoo was forced to wipe the flour on the counters and floor. He didn't want to burden Amber to clean the mess he made. He started all of it anyway.
 
"Let's eat."
 
"Yeah.. I'm almost done here.."
 
They sat opposite each other on the table. It was a small coffee table actually. There were only three chairs, two of which were frequently occupied.
 
"Are you busy tonight?" Myungsoo asked.
 
"Not really. But I have to visit my store later this afternoon. Why?"
 
"Ahh, nothing.. It's just umm."
 
"Hmm?"
 
"Would you want to eat for dinner? Catch a movie? Anything?"
 
"Myungsoo, I ugh.."
 
"It's not a date! Don't think of it as a date. More like two friends hanging out.. Please?"
 
"I'll see. I don't know how long I'll be staying at my store. I'll call you."
 
"I'll be waiting.."
 
Myungsoo left a few minutes after they ate. Amber wasn't stupid. She felt it. She knew that Myungsoo cared for her. But she wasn't ready to let in another man into her life. Not after what happened to her and Key. She shared too many memories with him. She was the guy she felt she'll be spending the rest of her life with.. But no. It didn't happen. She can't face another disappointment. Not now.. Not soon.
 
Amber went to her store an hour later. She checked how things have been going. She hasn't got a new client lately but sales are going quite well. It was stable. She was happy the way it was.
 
"Ma'am?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"There's this lad who has been waiting for you at the store.."
 
"A guy? Where's he?"
 
"Well, I had him wait at the employees' lounge. He said he'll be waiting for you."
 
Amber can't figure who would be looking for her. She was sure it wasn't Key. Her father was back in the USA it would be weird if he'll come and didn't even call. She made her way to the lounge and was caught off guard in realizing who it was.
 
"What are you doing here?"
 
"I had this feeling that you wouldn't text me at all and start ignoring me. So I came here to wait for you.."
 
"You're really persistent aren't you Myungsoo?"
 
"Yeah, you could say that. Come on. Dinner? No more movie.."
 
"No. I'm busy."
 
"Please?"
 
"No.."
 
"Come on? Can't you grant little Myungsoo's wish?" He pouted.
 
"Little? Aha. Okay, fine. But please just dinner. Nothing else. No more tricks or whatsover.."
 
"Promise. wait here! I'll just go home to bathe and all. I'll pick you up at around 6:00pm?"
 
"6:00 is fine."
 
"Bye.."
 
"Bye."
 
-------
 
Amber was still hesitant to actually accept Myungsoo's offer but the lad is so persistent she just had to say yes. It was a cold evening that night. It was already mid-August by then so the weather's starting to get a little chilly though it's not yet Autumn. Myungsoo obviously planned for the night. He brought Amber to local hub somewhere in Seoul. He claimed that the place sold the best kimchi stew he's ever eaten.
 
"Do you usually go here?" the girl asked.
 
"Yeah. When I have spare time and money. I'd go here. Their stew is really good and is a good dish to pig out on after a tiring day.."
 
Amber smiled at the sight of Myungsoo gobbling up on the kimchi stew. He kept on sipping and taking in big spoons of the dish. He started to look like a hamster with
nuts in his cheeks. 
 
"You eat like a kid.."
 
"Mwo?"
 
Amber just shook her head trying to inform the boy it's really nothing special. Mid evening came and Myungsoo took Amber to a secluded park near the Han river..
 
"Is this one of your secret hangouts?"
 
"Why'd you always have to break the suspense? And yes. This is like my sanctuary.."
 
"Sanctuary huh?"
 
The two sat down by a cherry blossom tree. The flowers are past their peak and have obviously started to wilt. But the view of seeing them falling little by little somehow soothed Amber. Myungsoo saw the sight. He's always admired Amber's beauty. He's got to admit that he's kind of a ladies man always goofing around with girls but Amber is the first girl he'd see he'll be willing to take seriously.. She's just got something that attracted him so much. Being in awe of seeing Amber look at the flowers, he took out his guitar and started playing Edwin McCain's "I'll Be."
 
"Wow, you're english is really good.."
 
"Shh!"
 
He kept on playing it and saw how Amber closed her eyes trying to enjoy the tune.
 
"You're really pretty you know.." He blurted.
 
Amber, not expecting such a statement, somewhat backed away a little bit but still thanked Myungsoo for the praise. Hoping to avoid the situation, she stood up and invited the boy for a game of basketball.
 
"Hey, come. Do you play basketball? I play.."
 
Myungsoo who saw what was she doing stressed out even more.
 
"I like you Amber.. I've liked you since the first time I met you."
 
Amber stood still. Myungsoo then came closer to her.
 
"I don't know what happened but please.."
 
Amber shook her head. "No. I can't.."
 
"Please. I know somewhat you like me too? Even in some way.. You wouldn't let yourself be dragged out here if you don't like me one bit don't you?"
 
Something pierced Amber when Myungsoo uttered those words. He's actually right. She has grown fond of the lad since they've started hanging out the past weeks but she knew it wasn't a romantic kind of feelings. She likes him but not in an intimate way for now.
 
"Look, I can't promise you anything.. I don't even know if I can give you anything at all. I don't want to hurt other people Myungsoo.."
 
"I don't care.. But please let me at least prove to you how much I really like you.. I won't be expecting anything. Please.."
 
"I'll have to think about it."
 
-----------
 
update! Summer school .. D: especially if you're in college.. UGH. Anyways, Myungsoo has been keeping Amber company. Oh when a heart is weak, it can be swayed so quickly..
Key wouldn't be appearing anytime so soon. XD But please! The next chapters will feature important people in these people's lives. Especially Key's.. HOHO. Stay tuned!