42th

I only miss you when I'm breathing

The last day of school before the Christmas vacation had ended and when Sora returned home, there was something slightly different from the usual but she couldn't tell what it was. She put down her school bag and walked up to her bed. The moment she noticed the nicely folded paper, she knew what it was that made her feel strange.

He has been here.

Suddenly her heart was pounding hard in her chest and her hands were trembling as she unfolded the paper. It revealed a letter, as always written in an elegant and neatly way. She would recognize L's handwriting everywhere.

Sora hesitated before she started reading . . .

My dear,

I hope you are doing fine. I wished to be with you right now instead of writing you this letter but I know this would be reckless, so I ask you to meet with me somewhere else. I hope that you will come.

L

Below was written an address and a time.

I really shouldn't go there. That was Sora's first thought. But the urge to go was there anyway and in the end she decided to go. Not because she wanted to, but because she had to. She owned L at least an explanation.

Having this in mind, Sora left the house, telling her father she would meet with a friend, and then made her way to the meeting place.

She knew she should tell someone about this. At least L.Joe should know since he was her boyfriend. But somehow she didn't get herself to call him.

There are things in life you have to do on your own. That's what she told herself over and over again, just to not feel guilty.

 

She arrived at the agreed location just in time. It was a little rooftop room not too far from the center of the city. Sora guessed that this was probably L's current residence. Although it looked as if it wasn't inhabited. Another typical thing about L, he just didn't care about how he was living.

>>You came.<< That were the first words he said to her after all these weeks.

For Sora, it was strange to hear his voice again. There was a part of her that had really missed his kind voice because it reminded her of the time she had spent with him, a time when he would read books to her and tell her how much he loved her. But she knew that this time was over and that the only reason she, was here was to clear things up.

Sora walked up to L, who stood near the edge of the roof, looking up to the gray overcast sky. With every step she took, her heart felt heavier.

However, she only stopped when she stood next to him, then spoke up: >>Yes I'm here. But I can't stay for too long, otherwise my father will be worried.<<

>>I understand. You will miss him, will you?<< Finally, he averted his gaze to her, worry displaying in his eyes.

Sora swallowed hard before she answered: >>No, I won't . . . because I'm not going to come with you. I'm here to tell you that I chose my family and friends . . .<<

>>Over me<<, L ended her sentence, his tone of voice cold and hard. His face showing his pain, though.

And it got worse with every word Sora said then: >>A few weeks ago, I would have agreed to leave with you. I would have left my father, Chaejin and L.Joe for you but not now. I had time to think about my feelings and I realized that what we had wasn't real. I convinced myself to love you because at this time it was the only thing I could do to not feel lonely. But you stalked me, kidnapped me and hold me a prisoner in your house for so long, how could I love you? We were crazy to think this relationship could work out.<<

To finally having said that, she felt as if a huge burden had been taken from her.

That was the complete opposite of L's feelings. His voice was trembling as he said: >>Yeah, I think we're crazy, but I think we'll be okay. . . I know that you love me and I know that you know that I feel the same way. . . I know this is hard but I really think we can do this, we can make it work.<<

>>No we can't. I can't leave my life here behind.<< Her voice was just a whisper but that didn't change the firmness of her words.

>>All these people told you that, didn't they? I know that it hurts to listen to what people say and that you're worried what they think of you . . . of us, that they wouldn't approve our love. But you know what, I couldn't care less. As long as you're with me it's fine . . . I know you feel the same way. People love to judge, but just let them be . . . please just don't leave me.<< At his last words, L's voice broke.

His eyes were pleading and she could see his despair, but her answer wouldn't change.

I have to end it here. >>It's not that. It's my feelings for you . . . I don't love you. Maybe I did but not anymore. So you have to stop your obsession for me.<<

Ignoring what she had just said, he trapped her in an embrace. Sora knew that she should push him away, but the feeling of him tightly holding her like this, being reminded of their time together, made it impossible.

It's the last time, she told herself as she let him kiss her.

>>I want nothing else, just you <<, he whispered onto her lips.

That was the moment when Sora shook her head and backed off. She looked one last time at him, with a sad still firm expression. Then she turned around and ran away. Down the stairs of the rooftop, away from the building and eventually away from L.

While he just stood there, watching her leaving, feeling as if he had just died.

 

------------------------

yeeah, I updated ^^

I hope you can accept Sora's choice. But it's not the end yet, there are still 2 chapters left. The next one I'm going to uploud tomorrow.