22th

I only miss you when I'm breathing

Sora sat on her bed and watched TV. The news were on but it seemed that her father didn't make anything public about her disappearing yet.

Her heart hurt as she thought about her father. She felt sorry for him. He was probably dying because of concern. She just wished to tell him to not worry, that she'll come back soon. She just had to make something about L . . .

Talking of the devil. . .she thought as L knocked on her door and then entered the room.

He held a beautiful flower bouquet in his one hand and in the other one a plastic bag.

>>I bought you your favorite flowers and candies.<< He placed the flowers on the desk and opened the plastic bag to get some cookies and chocolate out.

Sora eyed the vase in which the flowers were put in. Perfect for my plan.

L turned around and just looked at her. Sora felt uncomfortable that he looked at her like that . But she just kept her eyes on the screen of the TV.

Time went by like that, L just watched her, while she watched TV.

 

In the evening he asked if he should make dinner and she said yes.

After L had left her room, Sora went over to her closet and took out a warm hoodie, which she would put on while leaving later. She then took the flower bouquet and put the flowers into the water tub and emptied the vase.

Then she waited for L to bring her food.

Her heart beat became faster and faster as she heard him approaching. As he opened the door, she pretended as if she would search for something in her closet.

L had his back towards her as he walked over to the desk. Sora took a deep breath and held the vase in her hands as she quietly approached him from behind. She just wanted to hit him with the vase, when he spun around and grabbed her wrist, making the vase to fall and splatter.

Sora looked at him with widened eyes. She was scared . . . Really scared.

L loosened his grip around her wrist when he noticed it must hurt her. He went out of the room to get a broom and something to clean up the glass splinters.

Sora clenched her fist. She didn't know L had these super fast reflexives.

This was her second failed try to escape. Sora sighed and teared up.

She slowly bend down and picked up the splinters.

>>Don't touch it. You might cut yourself<<, L said, standing in front of her with a broom.

Sora just continued picking up the splinters and went over to the trash bin. She let the splinters slide down her hands so they landed in the bin, but one splinter scratched her hand.

She swallowed hard, seeing the blood streaming out of the wound.

>>I told you.<< L gently took her hand and placed a tissue on it. >>Sit down somewhere. I'll be right back.<< He quickly left the room and one minute later, he came back with plasters.

Sora sat down on the bed, not looking at her bleeding hand. L sat down next to her and took her hand to place the plaster on it. Sora just wanted to pull her hand back, when the plaster was on it, when L held it, not wanting to let it go.

>>Does it hurt?<<, he asked, wanting her to look at him. Sora kept avoiding his eyes. She looked at her hand, lying in L's.

She remembered when L.Joe fell and she had placed plasters on his hands. She remembered how they were at Lotte World. . .

Tears were falling on her and L's hands. L reached out his free hand and wiped away her tears. >>Don't cry<<, he whispered.

>>Why are you doing this to me?<<, she cried, trying to pull away her hand, but he still wouldn't let go of her hurt hand.

L didn't respond to her question, he just kept quiet.

After a while, Sora stopped crying. >>Please let go of me. . .I want to eat. . .<<

Unwilling he let go of her hand and she sat down at the table and started eating, while L cleaned up the rest of the glass splinters.

 

Sora finished her food and L took the tray of food, as well as the broom and left her room.

Sora took her sleeping clothes out of the closet and went into the bath to take a shower.

After showering she immediately changed into her other clothes and went back into her room. L laid in her bed, his eyes closed.

Sora watched him until his eyes shot open. She winced in surprise, but then sat down on her chair and looked at the TV.

>>You don't have to sit down over there.<< L sat up and pointed at the space next to him. >>Sit down here.<<

Since she felt cold, she went to her bed, sat next to L and wrapped the blanket around herself.

They both leaned against the wall and faced the TV and silently watched some kind of drama. Apparently it was the drama Sora's father had a guest role in it. Tears formed in her eyes.

>>Do you. . .miss him?<<, L asked, unsure what to do.

>>Don't you miss your parents?<<, she snapped back.

>>I don't miss them, since I never had parents<<, he simply answered

Sora froze and then looked at him. >>Did you grew up in a orphanage?<<

L nodded. >>I know how it is to have no parents. I understand that it's hard for you to have no mother. . .although I believe it is more worse to lose his mother, than never having one.<<

Sora looked at him with big, worried eyes. >>You never had someone who cared for you?<<, she asked.

L shook his head.

Sora suddenly noticed something that felt like. . .compassion? She felt that they kinda had something in common.

>>It must have been hard growing up in a orphanage. . .<<, she muttered and L just simply nodded.

They went back on watching TV, when after a while Sora fell asleep. Her head leaned against the wall and as L saw it, he reached out his hand and gently put her head on his shoulder.

He turned his head to the side and looked at her calm expression. He loved how near she was him at this moment. He wished to be always like that with her. His hand slowly went up and one finger softly touched her lips. They were tempting and he could hardly take his eyes off them.

For some time he just watched her sleeping as she suddenly furrowed her eyebrows and started to mumble things.

Is she having a dream?

L's eyes landed on her hand, which trembled. He grew worried and slightly shook her. She opened her eyes and took a deep breath.

>>Are you okay?<<, he asked, holding her shoulders and looking down to her.

Sora leaned back, do to the nearness of him and nodded.

>>Just a bed dream<<, she said. >>Do you. . .mind going now?<<, she asked.

Unwilling, L got up and went over to the door. >>Sleep well<<, he whispered before leaving the room.

 

 

-Day 5-

L spend the next whole day in her room. They watched TV, read books or L listened to Sora playing her violin. Throughout the whole day, Sora had thought about another way to escape. But in every scenario she had imagined, she was the one suffering the most. So she decided to change her strategy.

She just came out of the bathroom and L just came back from cleaning the dishes. He closed the door behind him, but didn't locked it.

He never did, since she couldn't escape when he was in the same room as her.

They both sat down on the bed and watched a TV show when Sora pretended to fall asleep. She leaned her head against L's shoulder and had to admit she felt comfortable enough to fall asleep, but that wasn't the idea.

After an hour of pretending to sleep, she opened her eyes, acting like she just woke up. >>I'm scared<<, she muttered. L, who had watched her the whole time, grew worried. >>You don't have to<<, he told her.

>>Can you. . .spend the night here?<< Sora had never asked something that was so hard to actually ask. But she always told her that it was the only way to escape.

>>Here?<<, L asked, surprised by her sudden change.

Sora nodded. >>I don't feel scared when you are here<<, she muttered and thanked God that she took acting classes.

She went over to the side and laid down there, while L laid down between her and the wall.

Sora closed her eyes, covered herself with the blanket and hoped that everything would work out.

Since it was already midnight, it was hard to pretend sleeping without falling asleep for real and it seemed that L didn't even try to sleep. She could feel that he was watching her and she almost waited for him to do something, like hugging or even kiss her, but he didn't.

 

At four in the morning, she rolled to the side and looked at L's sleeping figure.

>>L?<<, she whispered but there was no response. She didn't know that she was lucky enough to have someone with a deep sleep next to her.

She slowly and totally quietly got up from her bed, took her shoes and her hoodie and went outside.

She let out a long sigh when she closed the door behind her.

She hurried to go down the stairs. There she put on her clothes and went over to the main entrance door. She trembled in nervousness. She was almost free and could leave L behind.

She tried to open the door and of course it was locked. But the window only a few meters away, wasn't so she opened it and jumped out. Good, that this was a house and she was downstairs, otherwise this could have ended bad.

She breathed in the cold air. Sora didn't even notice how cold it had become. But, it was already mid October anyway. She looked around. It was dark, but she could still see everything. Although there wasn't much to see. There was only the house, surrounded by big areas of grass, trees and plants. A small street for cars led a path.

Sora had one last glance at the house, before turning around and run as fast as she never had run before.