35th

I only miss you when I'm breathing

-Day 35-

 

>>Portland has a population of 2 million people. It's tiny in comparison to Seoul<<, Sora said and smiled.

>>Oregon is very pretty. We can drive around and have a look at the beautiful landscape. . .and after awhile, we can even drive around the country. Would you like to do that?<<

Sora nodded. >>How about a trip to Las Vegas?<< She grinned. >>Maybe we'll win and get a million dollars. Then we can travel the whole world.<<

L smiled. >>You aren't legal yet, you won't be allowed to go into the casinos.<<

>>Oh. . .right. . .<< She leaned her head against his shoulder. >>The flight will go in three days. . .<< I'll be leaving everything behind me. I'll start a new life with L. . .For a second her smile fade away.

>>Are you still unsure?<<, L asked.

She quickly shook her head. >>No, no. . .<<

He smiled wrapped his arms around her. >>I'm glad to hear that.<<

>>Yeah. . .<<, Sora whispered and mentally sighed.

Somehow she felt strange.

 

 

-Day 36-

*L.Joe's POV*

 

I crossed out the address once again and sighed. >>Now off to the next one.<<

I tipped in the address of the next house and the navigation system showed me the way. Drinking coffee and yawning I drove to the house. I was freaking tired, since I got up at six and drove to every house, hoping Sora might be there. Every time I was filled with hope but it seemed that it was impossible to find her.

I thought so, until I stopped in front of a house, far away from all civilization. As I closed the door quietly behind me, I looked upwardly and my gaze landed on a window which was half open.

Carefully I approached the house more to have a better look at the inside of it, especially at the opened window.

As I almost stood direct under it, I saw something that made me forget everything else. My eyes widened and I felt like crying, although because of happiness.

Sora stood at the window and looked outside, not noticing I was there. Her gaze was directed on the landscape on the other side of the street.

I finally found her. Now everything will be alright again. I won't leave her ever again . . . Now we can finally be together.

I called her name, loud enough for her to hear. But she just winced and I heard her saying: >>Now I even hear his voice. I have to stop thinking about him . . . I have to forget him.<< With that she closed the window and turned around, leaving my sight.

I suddenly felt unutterable cold. A pain inside my chest almost made tremble but I got a grip of myself and told myself that she probably was just out of her mind because of this L. He must have brainwashed her somehow.

I clenched my fist and walked with firm steps to the front door.

I still didn't know if L was there but if he was I would just kill him on the spot. I just had to rescue Sora no matter what.

But at first I had to call the police, although they would take ages to come here. . .However, I called my brother, telling him I found her and he had to send the police over.

Thanks to the method of breaking up a door which the gangsters, I had spent a lot of time with, taught me I managed to get inside the house. I immediately hurried upstairs and meanwhile noticed that L was probably not there.

I opened a few doors before I even found the right one to the room where Sora was. I saw her sitting on a bed looking fondly at the walls. I followed her gaze and stopped breathing for a second because of the sight that hit me.

All over the walls were pictures of Sora while she was just sitting there and looking at them. It was such a bizarre scene that I didn't know what to do. I just stood there like frozen, unable to move. Only after a few seconds I woke up from my trance and went over to her. She turned to me in shock, her eyes widening but not saying a word.

>>Sora, are you okay? Did he hurt you in any way? I'll bring you home, don't worry. Everything is gonna be alright. The police is on their way here as well.<<

She didn't answer but still looked shocked before her expression changed to. . .emotionless? What is this? Why is she acting like this?

I grabbed her arm and intended to make her follow me but she just shook her head, leaving me speechless. I didn't know what I could say to make her understand that we had to get away from here QUICKLY.

I bend down to her and cupped her face in my hands. She averted her gaze but remained sitting. Then I explained gently but firmly: >>We really need to leave now. Please trust me, it's better this way.<<

But instead of answering she asked: >>You remember me?!<<

I sighed. >>Of course . . . I could never forget about you.<<

She intended to say something but changed her mind as she looked over my head towards the door, startled. >>L . . . !<<

I turned around and as I saw him standing in the door frame I immediately got onto my feet, ready to do whatever was necessary to rescue Sora.

 

*End of POV*

 

L had just come back from shopping in the city and then had looked for Sora, finding her in his room, as he saw L.Joe in front of her, talking to her . . . touching her.

What is he doing here? How dare he touching MY angel?

>>Get away from her or you're going to regret it<<, L said in a dangerously low tone of voice. He wouldn't have hesitated to kill L.Joe when not Sora had stopped him by pushing L.Joe, who was approaching L obviously to fight, aside and walking up to L.

L.Joe was too startled by her action that he didn't stop her but just stood there, watching the following scene in disbelief.

Sora stood now in front of L but before she could even say a word, he pulled her in a hug. Only then L.Joe noticed that she had been trembling for the whole time since he had come here.

Sora was still in a kind of shock condition. The fact that L.Joe was here to take her home, that he remembered her and also that her time with L was now definitively over was too much to handle for her at once. She didn't know what to feel or what to do. She just knew that neither L nor L.Joe mustn't be harmed in any way. Judging by the look in L's eyes, L.Joe was definitely in danger so Sora tried to calm L down. But that wasn't all.

>>You have to get away from here<<, she said faintly while L still hugged her in order to make her stop trembling. And indeed she felt better.

But as he heard what she just had said he looked at her with disbelief in his eyes. >>I won't leave!<< The firmness in his voice made Sora feel desperate.

>>But the police is on the way here. You really need to go now<<, she tried to explain. By now she was almost crying.

>>Then come with me. We can fulfill our plans, leaving Seoul and everything else behind . . . just the two of us.<<

That was the moment when she realized that she couldn't go with him, not as long as she had family and friends waiting for her here in Seoul . . . not as long as L.Joe was there.

>>I can not leave without you.<< His voice was faint and Sora could see the tears in his eyes. He intertwined his fingers with hers and squeezed it. He looked at their united hands, not willing to ever let go. Then he devoted his attention back to Sora.

Despite seeing the pain in his eyes, she had no choice but to convince him to go. >>I can't let you get arrested. Please . . . you have to hurry . . . just escape as long as it is still time left.<< She felt like breaking down but forced herself to stay strong. I can't cry, not now . . . I can't cry, she told herself incessantly.

Finally L seemed to think about it. The pain painted on his face was still marked but now there was also determination.

He hugged her one last time, kissed the top of her head and whispered in her hair: >>I'll come back. Soon we'll be united again.<< With that he let go of her hands and turned to the door, not even looking at L.Joe who now finally woke up out of his numbness.

>>I won't let you get away with that!<<, he shouted and was about to ran after L when Sora once again blocked his way. She wrapped her arms around him and pleaded: >>Don't! Please just let him go. I beg you . . . just let him go.<< The tears she had held back the whole time now rolled down her cheeks and as she was sure that L was gone she broke down. Sitting on the floor she cried quietly without to notice that L.Joe bend down to her and hugged her.

>>I'm sorry I wasn't there for you back then, I'm sorry that I forgot about you, I'm sorry that I wasn't able to protect you from him . . .<< He spoke softly although he felt like screaming out loud. Once because he had let L get away but also because of his own stupid behavior in the past. How can I ever forgive myself for leaving you, Sora . . . I love you.

 

It didn't take long until the police arrived at the house, making L.Joe move.

When some of the police officers entered the room in caution, expecting the kidnapper to hold Sora as a hostage, L.Joe immediately stood up and explained what had happened. He told them that L had been able to escape, although he didn't mention that it was because of Sora.

>>I wanted to stop him but he was stronger than me, so he managed to escape. I'm sorry.<< He bowed apologetic and acted as if he felt guilty. Which was actually even true. If he had been able to find Sora earlier she wouldn't have fallen for L and therefore hadn't helped him to escape.

But I can't change what happened. Now the only thing that matters is to keep Sora out of difficulties. If I have to lie in order to do so, I will.

The police men told him that it wasn't his fault and that he actually shouldn't have put himself in danger by saving her on his own in the first place.

After they had talked to L.Joe, one of the men walked over to Sora who was still sitting on the floor, starring in the air with a vacant expression.

>>She's still in shock<<, L.Joe explained.

The police officer nodded understanding. >>But nevertheless we have to question her in order to get information about the kidnapper. This will be testimonial evidence to take proceedings against him.<<

That was what L.Joe had feared. The way Sora had looked at L, he was sure she wouldn't say something against him.

>>I will talk to her<<, he assured the man and then went to Sora. She had stopped crying but the look in her eyes made him worry. He bend down to her and made her look at him. Her gaze was still blank so he spoke up, hoping to get her attention in this way.

>>We have to leave now. The police has to ask you some questions and then we can go home, okay?<<

But Sora didn't respond and just shifted her gaze to the ground. L.Joe sighed because he knew that now the time had come to be sincere, to tell her his story.

>>I'm sorry for being such a jerk. . .for being so blind. . .for being so stupid.<< He took in a deep breath. >>When my mom told me that I'll be moving back to Seoul, I felt strange. At first I didn't pay attention to that feeling, but after I saw you at the airport, waving at me one last time with tears in your eyes, I knew what feeling it was. . . But at that time, it was too late. I missed you from the moment I walked in the check-in. It became worse when I got your first letter. I wrote back so you would know I was okay, although I weren't. But after I had written the letter I thought it would be easier if I wouldn't reply anymore. I thought it would be easier to forget you. It hurt to not see you, so I tried to forget you. It wasn't easy at first but Teen Top and also Infinite helped me. . .I didn't watch the news so I didn't know you were coming back, but I did watch the news when your mother passed away. I felt sorry. I regret to have left you. If I hadn't left, I could have comforted you. I was concerned about you. I knew how much you loved your mother. For me, she was like an aunt, so I missed her and felt sad too.

When I found out about her death, I remembered everything we had done with her. We two and our moms were in Disneyland and went out to eat at least twice a week<<, he paused. >>I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything . . . When we bumped into each other on your first day of school in Seoul, I didn't recognize you. You looked different and your attitude was so cold. At the rehearsal after school, you first reminded me of the Sora I know . . . but I was telling myself it wasn't you. The fact that you ignored and hated me made it obvious though. Also the scar on your neck, that you hate strawberry ice, that you play the violin and the piano, that you cried when you saw your mothers albums in the music store . . . After a while, I just wanted be your friend again. I wanted you to give me another chance, forgive me.<<

He paused again and noticed that Sora was now looking at him, with big eyes as if she couldn't believe what she heard. L.Joe smiled a little and continued: >>Remember when we were at Lotte World? I knew you liked roller coasters so I took you there. I wanted to spend time with you and make you laugh. When I finally admitted my feelings for you. . . you disappeared. You were with him all this time. . .<< That was the point he stopped. Thinking of his feelings for her and realizing that it had been to late, that she had already fallen for someone else, was just too painful.

But his words had been enough for Sora to wake up.

 

_________________________________

 

I have to say, I really like this chapter. I actually don't like the things I wrote myself but this one was quite good . . . I guess ^^'

Tell me what you think about it. Also for all the L-fans who think this is the end: IT ISN'T. ;D So pleeeaaase don't unsubscribe.

You know, it hurts an author's feelings to see people unsubscribe. T___T . . .

Anyway, I'm happy for all the comments and also for all the silent readers. As long as you like the story I'm happy ^^

 

 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA he's hypnotizing the dog. I want to be the dog >.<