XXXXVII. Back.

Always in my mind

When Yifan entered the military base, he greeted all the other civilians who were there by bowing his head. He quickly checked the hour on his wristwatch and sighed when he saw he was just on time. He remained still and waited not so patiently for his wife to come back. She was supposed to appear from the door where she had disappeared behind seven months ago and he couldn't just wait for her to come back. He was very nervous about the whole process of picking her up from the base, as per usual. Indeed, he was wondering if she had left the country she was in, if the plane had landed correctly in Korea, and he couldn't help thinking about a lot of scary and impossible scenarios. Yet, while she wouldn't just be in front of him, he would not stop panicking.

Around him, the other persons who were there seemed to be as excited and as panicked as he was. Except that he was all alone.

 

Thirty minutes later which felt like an eternity, the doors finally opened and everyone held their breaths, their eyes all fixed on the same point. Yifan started trembling when he saw Junmyeon appearing, his big bag on his back. He greeted a few people around Yifan before he actually stopped to talk to him.

 

“How are you?” the captain asked him with a cheerful smile.

“I'm fine, thank you and you? Aren't you too tired?”

“I'm not going to lie, I'm exhausted,” Junmyeon laughed nervously, “it took us a long time to come back and the superiors didn't want to let us go but fortunately, we're all here now and we're all perfectly healthy!”

“That's a relief,” Yifan smiled.

“Jaemin should be here in a few minutes, she wanted to make sure all the newbies had someone to drive them back home before leaving. I guess I can stop worrying about her now, she's in good hands now that she is back.”

 

Yifan nodded and Junmyeon left, pretending to be too exhausted to talk more. So Yifan kept waiting alone, the wait becoming more and more unbearable as he was watching the other people reunited with their families or friends.

 

But then she appeared. Indeed, she crossed the big doors with a big and bright smile. She seemed tired and had huge dark circles around her eyes, but she was all smiley and cute. She was wearing a clean and probably new battledress and it wasn't really y, but Yifan swore she could be wearing anything she would always be y to his eyes: and she especially was at this moment. She was wearing her huge backpack on her back and though it seemed heavy, she didn't seem to struggle lifting it at all.

 

And she was only looking at him. When they were only ten meters separating them and that Yifan felt his heart could burst out of his chest at any moment now, Jaemin threw her bag on the ground and jumped into his arms, circling his neck with her arms and hugging him tightly. He didn't have to think about what to do or to say and he just hugged her too, kissing her cheek at the same time.

 

Then she stepped back a little, cupped his face and stood on her tiptoes to reach his lips as she pressed an eager kiss on it.

 

“You're back,” he whispered, out of breath.

“I'm back,” she grinned and kissed him once again.