XXXVII. Grocery shopping.

Always in my mind

It was Saturday and Yifan had nothing to cook into the fridge anymore so he had decided it was time to do the grocery shopping with Sehun. The boy was into the cart, putting all he wanted inside while Yifan was struggling hard to know what to choose.

 

“We should buy vegetables,” Yifan said, “it's healthy and-”

“I don't like it,” Sehun sighed.

“And what do you like? Is there something you want to eat?”

“I want gummy bears.”

“Nope,” his father shook his head, “no sweets.”

“Mom always buys it to me.”

“Your mom does but I'm not your mom. So tell me, should we buy carrots or tomatoes?”

“Nothing,” Sehun frowned.

 

Yifan didn't even pay attention to the grumpy boy. He kept picking what he wanted and didn't complain when Sehun grabbed the articles he wanted and put in into the cart.

 

“Do you think I should buy those weird octopus things?” he asked his son.

“No, mom doesn't like it.”

“But it's not for your mom, it's for us.”

“She is coming back soon, we need to think about her to. Are you already forgetting about her?” Sehun frowned and folded his arms over his chest.

“No, obviously not. I'm just saying we need to think about feeding ourselves and not starving while waiting for her.”

“Then take it, the octopus thing, I like it.”

“Alright, I'll take it.”

 

He put it into the cart and moved to the next shelf where all the cakes were. Obviously, Sehun started asking his dad to buy half of all the things there were but Yifan had to make a choice.

 

“But mom always buys me this!” he whined, “I like it a lot! It's my favorite!”

“But you told me you didn't like vanilla!”

“No I lied I like it a lot! Daddy just buy this already!”

“No Sehun it's not healthy and-”

“I don't care! Just buy it to me! Please daddy I like it a lot and I love you too so please-”

 

Yifan, being too weak for his son cuteness as usual, gave up and bought the cakes in the end.

 

“You know,” Sehun said on their way home while holding the box of vanilla flavored cakes into his hands, “I'm going to keep them for when mom comes back because they are her favorite cakes. They are the one she eats at night when she is not tired.”

“Oh really?” Yifan smiled, “she does that?”

“Yes,” Sehun nodded, “and she even put it into a cup of milk, because she also likes milk a lot.”

“And so you also like milk, I guess.”

“I do,” the boy chuckled and held the box even tighter against his chest.

 

Yifan looked at him through the rear-mirror and fondly smiled.