XXVII. Daughter.

Always in my mind

“Did Jae called you recently?” Mrs. Kim asked Yifan.

“No, not all. She only called for Sehun's birthday and ever since she didn't.”

“Well, she probably can't, that's why,” her voice trembled a bit and she smiled sadly, “she's probably doing fine anyway.”

“I'm sure she is,” Yifan smiled to reassure her.

“You know,” she started and looked at her husband who was fishing on the other side of the river with Sehun and Jongin, “I've never wanted her to be part of the army. I wanted her to have a stable job where she would have time to take care of her children and husband but... this girl is really something.”

 

She sure is,” Yifan thought and smiled.

 

“When she graduated of high school I tried to convince her not to enter the military academy but she didn't listen to me and she allied with her father. He was so proud at the idea of having is daughter in the army that obviously he accepted and even used his position for her to enter quickly. But none of them thought about the consequences it could have on the other members of the family. I was used to have my husband gone for weeks and months away without hearing from him, but I found comfort into my children. When Jaeho wasn't home, they were my everything and even now that they are older and they have their own lives, they still are my everything, but Jaeho is with me. But when my daughter left for the army, I was devastated.”

 

Mrs. Kim stopped for a while and giggled because of Jongin shouting he had caught a fish.

 

“Jaemin is my only daughter. All I was thinking about is her being hurt and being an easy target. I was sure she was going to be hurt and wouldn't succeed and deep inside me, I wanted her to fail and to come back here at home where she would be safe.”

“Grand-ma look!” Jongin called for her so she had to look up, “look! It's my fish!”

“You're doing great Jongin!” she smiled, “when she told me she was getting married, I told her not to do that. Not because it was you, I really love having you as a son-in-law, but because I knew it wouldn't be a life for you to have your wife gone for months without hearing from her. What kind of man would agree with this?”

“I-I did,” he said.

“I know, you did. And that's why I think you are as crazy as you are good. You accepted Jaemin as she was, with her very complicated job and not even once you asked her to change. That's why I respect and admire you a lot and that's why I'm proud to have you in my family. But you could have had a thousand of other women who could have stayed home while you were at work. And yet, you've chosen Jae.”

“Jae is perfect.”

“She's crazy,” Mrs. Kim chuckle, “she's as crazy as her dad. When it comes to her job, she only thinks about her.”

“I... I disagree with you,” Yifan dared to say, “it's not against you though! I understand what you are saying but Jaemin asked me once if I wanted her to stop being part of the army.”

“She did?” Mrs. Kim frowned.

“Yes, after she gave birth to Sehun. She asked me if I wanted her to stop and to change her job so that she would always come home everyday to take care of her son. I told her not to do that, because I know she loves her job. I... I couldn't do that to her. It would have been to selfish from me.”

“Yifan,” Mrs. Kim turned toward him and took him into her arms, “thank you for being in her life. Jaemin really needs to have someone like by her side.”