XXXV. Birthday.

Always in my mind

“Jaemin.”

“Sergeant Kim Jaemin,” she automatically answered.

“Jae,” Junmyeon chuckled, “it's only me, you don't have to do that.”

“You've scared me,” she sighed, relieved, “what do you want?”

“Today's your birthday, right?” she nodded, “well, I have a surprise for you.”

“Really?” she asked, surprised, “for real?”

“Hum.”

“It's not one of the other guys' jokes, right?” she frowned, “I know them, they like to prank the others on their birthdays.”

“No it's only my present, and only I can offer it to you.”

“What is it?” she asked, obviously curious.

 

When he handed her his mobile phone, she frowned.

 

“Your phone...?”

“I'm not giving it to you,” he smiled, “but you can call someone if you want to.”

“W-what?”

“You can call someone since it's your birthday. It's my present.”

“But I... I don't have the right-”

“Your captain orders you to call someone with his phone, I'm sorry, Sergeant Kim, but you have to obey him.”

 

He put his phone into her hand and walked toward the exit.

 

“Oh! And one last thing, the phone has a front camera, who knows? It might be useful.”

 

He winked and left. Jae looked at the electronic device for a while and then she smiled and lay on her bed before she dialed her husband's number. She really hoped he would answer since it was an unknown number and when she finally heard his low-pitched and tired voice, she smiled and bit on her lower lip not to scream with joy.

 

“Hello? Who's that?”

“Fan it's me,” she said.

“Jae...? Jaemin?”

“Yeah it's me!” she laughed nervously, not knowing about how to react since, finally, she was able to talk to him.

“My God Jae! Jae I'm so happy to hear about you! How are you? How does it come you can call me now? What's going on?”

“Turn on the camera,” she said.

“What?”

“The front camera, turn it on.”

 

A few seconds later he appeared on the screen. She grinned until her cheeks hurt and waved like crazy.

 

“You're beautiful,” he smiled.

“And you are as handsome as ever. When did you died your hair?”

“Oh, this,” he ran a hand through his now light brown hair, “a few days ago. I... I wanted to change something.”

“It suits you really well.”

“And you?”

“Me what?”

“What have you done to your face?”

“What do you mean?” she frowned.

“What have you done to be this beautiful?”

“That,” she laughed, “it's natural. I've always been like this.”

 

She laughed and they just stared at each other for a while, without saying a word.

 

“Happy birthday,” he finally said.

“This phone call is my present from the captain.”

“Junmyeon?”

“Yep.”

“Don't forget to thank him from me.”

“I will.”

 

Silence.

 

“Hey, Fan?”

“Hum?”

“I love you.”

“I love you too, Jae. I miss you.”

 

She sent him a kiss and he acted as if he actually caught it and brought it to his lips.

 

“I miss you too. I only have a few months left.”

“I know.”

“Let's hold on, alright?”

“I will, don't worry.”

“I love you, Fan, and I love Sehun too. Kiss him for me.”

“I will.”

 

They didn't say anything else and she hung up since she actually didn't want to talk more: the more they were talking and speaking to each other, the harder the pain and sadness would be and it would be harder for both of them to just go on. But they didn't need more to know how much they loved each other anyway.