Fresh Air, New Understanding

The Cha Brothers Part 2

It felt good wearing jeans, though my boot still was an eye sore for my look. I changed into a nice blouse and a pair of boot-cut dark blue jeans. On one foot I had a black timberland boot, and of course when NamJoon saw me he giggled at it.

            “The boot suits you.” His smile was relaxed and he held the door open as we exited the house.

            In the car, he was playing some relaxing orchestra music. I had both my hands on my lap, but after he put the car in drive he rested his hand on mine and intertwined our fingers. I smiled to myself, and saw from my peripheral vision that he looked over and smiled himself.

            We drove to the country side, were there where open fields and flowers on the side of the road.

            “It’s beautiful.” I said low as I gazed out the window.

            “Hold on.” He said then the window began to descend and the air was so fresh that my smile was infinite. “How does that feel?”

            “Amazing!” I was so excited that I barely realized we were speaking English.

 

            A little further up the road, he pulled over and we got out to walk the field. It was nice, soothing.

            “I thought maybe you could use a day out the house, and away from the doctor’s office.” He gave his easy smiled and took my hand in his, but kept his eyes on the open sky. He was playing it cool though I knew his heart was beating just as hard as mine. Somewhere along the walk we sat in the field, back to back. I was resting on him and he was resting on me. We took deep breaths of the air the blew so gently.

            “Sam,” he spoke. “I want you to know, that I really like you. And I know that sounds super cliché but I whenever your around me, I feel protective of you. But also at ease.” I listened and closed my eyes to the sound of his words. “I want to tell you something that only Jin and I know.” He sighed and I felt him drop his head for a moment. “I keep in touch with my birthmother.” I felt the pain in his voice. Like it hurt for him to say such a thing.

            “Why would that be a secret?” I questioned not thinking about the big picture.

            “YoonGi and Ho Seok, have almost always been against the communication of biological family members.” I recalled the way YoonGi talked about his biological parents. “But my story is different than theirs, and I’m almost positive they could never understand that.”

            “NamJoon, I’m sure YoonGi could, but I’m not sure about Ho Seok.” I recalled the time in the hospital when Jin told me all his brothers stories. But hearing NamJoon’s over form both him and his mother perspective may be completely different. “Can you tell me your story?” I asked slowly and lightly.

            “Of course.” He answered and his smile was in his voice. “A young woman who had been a little reckless while away on vacation with friends, discovered her actions had led to pregnancy. But the man she had been with, was for the two weeks she was away, had been the love of his life and sparked a flame in her that no one ever had. She was fine, and carried out the pregnancy for 8 months. Towards the end of her pregnancy, she found out her parents did not agree with it at all, but she still loved her child unconditionally.

            “Moments after she gave birth, the child was taken away, and this stress caused the woman to go into shock. She was hospitalized and her parents…” He paused and took a breath. “Her parents signed the child’s adoption papers away since the mother couldn’t. After that day, she never saw her baby again, she didn’t even know she had a son who was still alive and in Korea.

            When I turned 18 and my father gave me the option to see my mother I declined; I was angry that she didn’t fight harder for me. But after talking to Jin-Hyung, I decided that I wanted to see her.”

            I turned around and took a hold of NamJoon from behind, he rested in my arms.     

            “I’m glad I did go see her. I found out that her family died in a car accident a few years after she gave birth and she was alone. Of course it hurt her to see me, because I, apparently, look just like my father.” We smiled at that. “But I think I look like her a lot more, even Jin agreed.”

            “Jin went with you?”

            “Of course, he is my brother. Without him I wouldn’t have found her.” I nodded in agreement. “He also went so I wouldn’t make any rash decisions about her situation.” He relaxed a bit more in my arms and I held him a little tighter. “Of course I wanted to help her but she said I had helped her enough to know that a piece of her is living well, she even praised Jin for being such a good Hyung though blood wasn’t shared.”

            “Did you tell her about your other brothers?”

            “I told her everything, how I was the fourth of seven, how our father was a C.E.O., about our adoption mother, and how I felt about seeing her.” He body tensed then relaxed. “She wasn’t ever happy about mother, but she was glad I had other brothers, and a father who could take care of us all.” He chuckled for a moment. “Her favorite thing to say to me is ‘Your story is proof that blood isn’t always as thick as water’.” He was smiling now.

            “When’s the last time you seen her?”

            “It’s been a few days.” He said it easily. “I had been telling her about work and she said she was proud of how brilliant I’ve grown to be. She likes when I’m in a suit too.” He chuckled and I joined him. He does look great in a suit.

            “I’m glad you went to find her.” I spoke low.

            “Yeah, me too. She really needed to know there was someone out there who wanted her to keep going, and I give her the strength to go on.”

 

            We sat in the field for a little long, and watched the sun slowly set behind the trees. The sky changed from blue to purple to red to pink. It was amazing, I don’t think I ever watch the sunset in the US. It was refreshing to me.

            Getting back into the car, NamJoon and I checked out cell phones.

            “13 missed calls from Kook and two from Ho Seok.” I showed NamJoon and he showed me his.

            “10 from Jimin, 3 from Kook and 1 from Tae. I guess they didn’t think to ask Jin anything first.” He sighed. “I guess I got to get you home Ms. Haul.” He said, started the car and put it in drive.

            “Yeah before my brothers beat you up.” We both laughed at that comment.