Library's Hold Thousands of Stories

The Cha Brothers Part 2

 

            Entering the house seemed odd. Tae was taking a nap on the couch, wrapped up like a burrito and Jimin was watching a drama on TV. It must have been on the good part because he was on the edge of his seat concentrating on the screen. Kook and I found Jin in the library; surrounded by a stack of books.

            I knocked on the door with Kook not far behind me, Jin lifted his head, peaking over the stack.

            “Hey, how was your walk?” he answered. We hesitated at the door, then Kook nudged me into the room. “What’s wrong?” Jin asked looking more alert.

            “Oh…” I took Kook by the wrist and pulled him behind me. “Well, I was talking to Kook and he wants to know something.” I pulled him around me and pushed him towards his brother.

            “Umm…” he got caught on his words.

            “Jeung, what is it?” Jin asked putting the attention on his little brother.

            “Well… I want to know the story of my adoption.” Jin’s eye brows raised slightly and he shut the book in front of him.

            “Are you sure you want to know this?” Jin asked in a serious tone and Kook sighed.

            “I’m pretty sure I do. I want to know everything about myself.” Jin nodded and gestured for us to take a seat next on the sofa on the other side of the desk.

 

            After six sons, Mrs. Cha felt complete, her family was large and loving and no one could ever tell her otherwise. But when a family friend gossiped about nothing fairly large company having a scandal such as a pregnant daughter, Mrs. Cha felt something in her heart.

            In secret she met up with the young woman and found out that she was much further along than thought, but because she and the baby were so small it was hard to believe.

            The woman agreed and though it was a child made of love, she couldn’t have her father’s name tarnished. It was a wise choice. He woman went on to having her wedding with another major company’s son but turned was turned unfertile. Later the young woman was divorced and left with next to nothing for a family of her own. The woman disappeared, some people gossiped that she ran away with her love child’s father but others say she left the country to start over, and that’s just how things ended. Jeung Guk began to grow with his new family surrounded by brothers who protected and loved him.

 

            “That’s the story of your adoption.” Jin said looking at his brother’s reaction. Kook was just motionless; his eyes fixed on one place on the ground and his breathing almost undetectable. Long deep breaths.

            “She didn’t come back for me?” he whispered.

            “No, she didn’t. She couldn’t.” Jin answered. “She signed a contract saying she couldn’t come bac until you were older, 18 to be exact.” Jin’s voice was hard and cold. It felt like he was talking business and not to his family. “Is there anything else you would like to know?” Kook looked up. I want to know everyone’s story. Jin sighed, and looked at his brother in a very unsettling way.

            “That’s for them to tell you. Not me.”

            “Then what’s your story?” Kook answered quick.

            “MY story?” Jin looked at Kook with fire in his eyes and a serious face. Kook, lowered his head, knowing he might have crossed the line with his tone. “Unlike your mother, mine 18. She got rid of her baggage for school, got married and has a new family.” The look in Jin’s eye struck fear in me, he seemed angry. “Don’t think you’re past is bad; you don’t know how things could have turned for any of us.” With that Jin snatched the book he closed earlier off the desk and left the library. I was speechless, I looked a Kook who hung his head. I went over to him and knelt down.

            “Kook?” I said low, his face was cold. “Kook, look, it might just be hard for him to tell you something like that.” The truth was, Kook’s feelings could change a room in seconds. He must have been feeling abandoned but Jin was probably feeling more betrayed by Kook. Why think of someone who gave you up so easily? Things are better where Kook was anyway. Here with Mr. Cha and his brothers. Why think of someone who is literally the first person you trust in this world?

            Kook took a deep breath and looked at me. “I want to ask YoonGi about his.”

            “What?”

            “I want to know.” He swallowed, and let out a breath, looked at me and smiled. “I love my hyungs, and I want to know how we all came to be.” I smiled back at him. My heart felt warm and my body, less weighed down. His attitude certainly could change the feeling in the room.