A Walk in the Park

The Cha Brothers Part 2

 

            I was hesitant about going to talk to Tae. He shut the door behind us and kind of stood there. He didn’t look at me, in fact he had his back to me, facing the door like he was conciliating even being in front of me. He was wearing dark blue pajama pants and a white t-shirt. I sat on my bed and scooted back some so my feet were kind of dangling there. It was quiet between us, and it was an odd silence.

            “I guess I should start by saying something.” He said and turned to me with his head lowered. His hair seemed damp. “I had a thoughtful shower and thought over a lot of things and decided that my offer isn’t available anymore.” His voice sounded almost defeated. “I don’t want to make you feel like your trapped here Sam. I don’t even know why I asked my father for a blessing.” He sighed hard, leaned against the door and slid down to a sitting position. “I think it was just when I heard my brothers asking my father, I felt defensive.” He looked up at me and his eyes were motionless.

            “Tae…” I whispered and he let out a huff.

            “I do love you Sam. I love you a lot. But I’m not…” he was choking on his words. “I’m not in love with you, like I thought I was.” I found myself going to Tae, sitting on the floor next to him and taking his hand.

            “I’m glad you come to your senses.” I said jokingly.

            “I’m glad you passed out though.” His comment made me look at him like he just shook a bunny. “If I would have heard an answer I think I’d be regretting everything right now.” His smile made me giggle.

            “If I had said yes, you would be regretting it?” I looked at him and he nodded. “And if I’d a said no?”

            “I’d make it known that I was the first one to get you .” He joked back but I slapped his arm multiple times. “Ouch!”

            “You better not tell anyone about that!” I pouted my lips. “I had a moment of weakness.” He patted my head and made me lean on his shoulder.

            “Well, whoever you pick, between the two, I hope you know you’ll be spoiled.”

            “More than Ho Seok and you at the mall that one time?” I looked up at his face and he answered.

            “A thousand times worst. Money is nothing we worry about Sam. I hope you start to understand that. Here your taken care of, especially you.” Being taken care of was hard for someone like me. I had been working since 16, and saving up everything in those 4 years to move away with Jian. But now I have nothing to work for but these guys. Jin, my Pink Prince of a Brother, YoonGi, sleeping beauty, Ho Seok, the dancing Hope, NamJoon, God of destruction, Jimin, a squishy ball, Tae, the alien, and Jeung Guk, the Kookie. This place felt much better than being with Jian did.

           

            I woke up in my bed, the bright sun coming in through the window and Tae sleeping next to me but on top of the covers. I sighed, I knew if someone came to check on me and saw this then things would look very bad. Especially with the whole, who are you going to marry thing.

            I shook Tae till his eyes opened and headed into the bathroom. I showered, washed my face, brushed my teeth and did something with my hair. A top not bun seemed to work best today. After I got dressed, I made my way back to my room. Tae was sleeping in the bed still and Jin was standing over him.

            “Um… good morning…” I said slightly shutting the door behind me. I walked around to see Tae was out like a light.

            “When did he get here?” Jin asked and I told him about the late night confession. “Hmm… seems to be easier for you know.” He cupped his brother in his arms and carried him out of the room.

            “What?” I said low and under my breath. “Easier for me?”

 

            I made breakfast but found that NamJoon, YoonGi and Ho Seok all went to the office early.

            “Why didn’t you go in Jin?” I questioned.

            “It was something the V.P. should handle.” I made and Oh face and looked at Tae, he shrugged.

 

            After I cleaned up Kook asked if I wanted to go for a walk with him, of course I agreed. He seemed happier these past few days and I really didn’t want to be the one to rain on him.

            We walked in the park, the wind blew and I could just relax. I didn’t realize that Kook had grown at least an inch in the past few months I had been living here but now he was a sky scrapper. I linked my arm with his and saw his face blush a little.

            “Relax Kook.” I played.

            “Sorry, I’m not used to be out with a possible sister-in-law.” His smile was adorable and innocent. But I felt my face drop at the remembrance of this whole thing. Sister-in-law. I shivered.

            “Just think of me as you once did. Your friend, your Noona.” I looked to him and he gave a side smile.

            “So your all for marring into our family?” his eye lit up. I brought mine back to what was in front of us and thought. Am I all for it?

            “I don’t want whoever I decline to hate me or your other brother though.” I said low.

            “You know how they say blood is thicker than water?” I nodded. “Well, then what do you make of this family? We don’t share anything but a house, a name, and parents. Father even said if we don’t want to stay here we can take our inheritance and leave. He, of course, said he’d be upset but it’s our lives.” There was a strain on the words ‘out lives’ when Kook spoke.

            “Do you ever think about your biological parents?” I asked him. “Do you know the story of your adoption?” Kook stopped walking and shook his head.

            “Jin doesn’t want to tell me yet, I actually don’t know any of the stories.” I pulled him over to a nearby bench and sat with him. I thought about telling him his story, the story of Jeung Guk, that Jin had once told me.

            “Have you asked him recently?” I questioned and he shook his head no. I sighed slightly, I don’t know why Jin didn’t tell Kook his own adoption story but then I remembered all the details. Kook’s mother wasn’t a young woman who couldn’t afford a child, she was a wealthy woman who was about to be married off. She gave her child away, to keep her wealthy fiancé.

            I thought about how hard that must have been for her, but then how much harder it would be to hear. Jeung Guk is such a happy kid, so bubbly and smiling. His laugh makes other laugh, his smile makes others smile and his presents is just uplifting to all.

            “Maybe… I don’t know if I’ll like the outcome.”

            “Kook, the outcome is you know. Everything about your history, makes you know. Maybe you won’t like the story but there are people out there who have amazing backgrounds and have nothing to show for it now.” He looked at me with hopeful eyes and I smiled back, patting his head. “I like who you are now. Your parents, your brothers, everything seems… right.”

            “Your right, Noona.” He stood and took both my hands in both of his, pulling me in for a hug. My head rested on his chest and I could hear his heart beating. It was nice, warming. “Let’s head home, I have a story I need to hear.” He said and we began our walk back home.