Chapter 28 - Free

Friend Request -KaiSoo

Saturday 30th September

Kyungsoo's P.O.V:

It’s been just over two weeks since the whole incident with the maid’s dress and I’m happy to say that most people have forgotten about it. Well when I say that I really mean that they just chose not to comment about it anymore, it’s old news. People will bring it up now and then but it doesn’t bother me anymore. Surprisingly it doesn’t bother Chanyeol either, but then he knew what he was signing up to us soon as he put on the dress, he was prepared for the humiliation unlike me.

Today is a special day, it’s a day that Jongin has been waiting for and wishing for, for the last few weeks. It’s the day that he finally gets his cast off. I won’t have to sit through him complaining about is crutches anymore and I can finally...FINALLY, see him dance in person. I can’t wait, and neither can he.

“Come on Kyungie! We’re going to be late!” I’ve never seen him this energetic on a Saturday morning. He’s rushing about our room on his crutches, practically bouncing off the walls with excitement. He’s like a puppy, a puppy on a sugar rush that is.

“Jongin, it’s only 9:30am your appointment isn’t until 11am please try to calm down.” I remind him of the times before turning my attention back to a piece of Song Writing homework that needs to be done for Monday. The only reason I am bothering with it now is so that I have the rest of the weekend to spend with Jongin and his dancing.

“But what if we run into traffic?” Jongin counters, finally standing still for the first time since he woke up.

“The hospital is not that far away, I doubt we will run into any traffic. You’ve waited this long I’m sure you can wait just a bit longer.” I say as I answer a question about the rhythm of one song we have been ask to study. We are supposed to be composing lyrics to go along with the melody, but it’s harder than I thought it would be.

“Can we at least do something to take my mind off of it?” Jongin whines as he plonks himself down onto his bed, his crutches rattling as he drops them to the ground. I have no idea how they are still in one piece, they have been thrown to heaven, hell and back again, much like I have with my feelings just lately.

“Like what, Nini? I need to finish this piece of homework ya know?” I query, sighing softly as I scribble out the answer to one of my previous questions. These questions are stupid how am I meant to know the answer to them when our teacher doesn’t actually teach us anything?!

“Like fun things.” He whines yet again, obviously not thinking straight and shutting down his normal mind to go into kid mode. He goes into these types of moods when he’s not getting what he wants or has to wait for something, he doesn’t shut down often but when it does he’s quite amusing.

“Fun things?” I say in an attempt to get him to elaborate, jotting down a quick note about a set of lyrics that could work before pushing my now finished piece of homework to one side of the desk. I place the pencil that I was using into the little holder that sits atop of the desk before swivelling around in my desk chair, only to be met by the sight of Jongin right in front of me. He’s standing on one foot and didn’t bother to pick up his crutches to reach me. He holds himself upright by holding onto the armrests of my chair, successfully trapping me in the process.

“Yeah, fun things.” His eyes fill with a dark and naughty glint, as he bites down onto his bottom lip. His eyes never leave mine and the stare that he holds with me is enough to send a shiver down my spine.
What the hell happened to kid mode?

-------------------

“Come on, come on, come on.” Jongin chants in a hushed voice from where he sits next to me, trying to not bounce up and down as he does so. We’re now sitting in the waiting room of the hospital and Jongin is desperately waiting for his name to be called. We arrived here at 10:30am, I tried to reason with Jongin and tell him that we were going to be too early but he was having none of it. Due to that we’ve now been waiting here for twenty minutes, ten minutes to go.

“Babe please try to remain calm we still have ten minutes of waiting time.” I say, closing the magazine that I was reading to pass the time as I do so. But either Jongin chooses to ignore me or is just lost in his own little world as he does not seem to hear me. It have to snap my fingers in front of his face several times just to get him to look at me.

“Calm down.” I tell him once he finally looks at him, seriousness it written all across my face and I know he gets the message when he begins to pout. “That woman in the corner has been staring at you for the last five minutes okay, Nini. Just try to blend in.” I make a subtle gesture over to the woman as I speak. She sits there with her son who must be about five, looking absolutely shocked at the way Jongin is behaving. Jongin turns to look over at her, his face paling as soon as he lays eyes on her. He nods her way and mutters a small sorry before looking turning back to face forward.

“How much longer?” He mumbles, resting his face in his hands as he does so.

“About seven minutes and that’s only if they’re on-.”

"Kim Jongin.” A female assistant comes round the door at that moment, smiling brightly as Jongin picks up his crutches and jumps to his feet. So much for being on time.

“Please follow me, your friend can come as well if he wants to.” She informs Jongin, gesturing down towards me as she does so.

“Come on, Soo.” Jongin has already left the waiting room as he calls back to me, causing me to sigh just softly. I can’t help but smile though, seeing him this happy and excited is something really refreshing. It’s something that was needed.

As I walk into the room Jongin is sat up on one of those beds, the white paper sheet that’s spread out across it makes crinkling sounds as he shuffles around to get comfortable.

“The doctor will be with you in a moment.” The assistant tells us before leaving the room, leaving me alone with an overly excited Jongin.

“I’ve never seen you this excited.” I speak my thoughts as I take a seat, hoping that it’s not one that the doctor would want to use as I do so.

Jongin smiles brightly as he speaks, the excitement he’s feeling laced into his voice, “I just haven’t been able to dance in ages, Soo. I’m really looking forward to it. Plus now I’m free of the crutches, meaning we’ll be able to do more couple things together without those or this big cast getting in the way.” Jongin lifts up his plaster clad ankle and points down to it as if to remind me of the incident.

“That’s adorable, love.” I tell him, a smile stretching out over my heart-shaped lips as I do so. It’s going to be nice, finally being able to see the one I love dance, something which he loves doing. And it’s going to be amazing to do more couple like things together, there has been so many events and places that we are yet to go to due to his leg.  Getting his cast off is going to free up not only his ankle but our relationship. Our relationship will be free.

----------------

“You should try to rest up as much as possible for the next few days, Mr. Kim, just in case your ankle hasn’t totally heeled yet.” The doctor says as he finishes off a few pieces of paperwork to put into Jongin’s file. The cast is finally off, much to Jongin’s relief. I captured the moment that he got the cast taken off on my phone, and it’s something that I will save forever. He was so damn happy to get it off, to finally be able to move his ankle again. At first I didn’t know why he was so happy, but then it twigged. It’s all to do with dance, he’s passionate about dance like I am for singing. If I suddenly lost my voice my whole world would be over, I wouldn’t know what to do with myself, if I was able to get it back I would be the happiest boy in the world. That’s how Jongin feels today. He’s finally able to start working towards his dream once again and I really am thankful for that fact.

 

“No promises, but I shall try.” Jongin jokes, earning a small chuckle from the Doctor and a roll of my eyes. The doctor is very nice, his name is Dr. Zhang, turns out he’s Lay’s father. He had started to ask about his son when he was filling out the paperwork, seeing that Jongin attends the same college. I had told him that he’s doing well, which seemed to please him.

“Okay then, with that we’re all done here.” Dr. Zhang says, scribbling his signature down onto the paperwork before turning back to face Jongin and I. “You can stand up now, Mr. Kim.” After all of the excitement, Jongin actually hasn’t stood up yet. I thought that he would be up and bouncing around as soon as he could but I was wrong.

Jongin smiles as he hears this, really he hasn’t stopped smiling since we walked in here. But this time his smile is more calm, he’s thinking straight once again.He slides down off the bed, staring at his feet as they make contact with the floor. He hops from foot to foot, his facial expression remaining unchanged as he does so. He’s not in pain, he’s not uncomfortable, he’s just happy.

"Thank you.” Jongin exclaims as he turns to face the doctor, bowing to him quickly before he walks over to me. I stand up as he comes over and he envelopes me into the biggest and best hug we’ve ever had.

“I’m free Kyungie.”  Jongin whispers, pulling away from the hug just slightly to place a kiss onto my forehead, my cheeks heating up instantly. Neither of us care about displaying affectionate actions in public anymore, not after the events of a few weeks ago.

“Yes you are, Nini. “