Chapter 54

Amnesia

“Take him back? Why are you asking me this?” Taeyeon asked, stress evident in her voice. Before she left, she hadn’t expected Chanyeol and Baekhyun to be this close and it somehow surprised her how their friendship grew to make Chanyeol beg her to come back to his friend. 

“You and I both know he’s miserable without you. He told us you’re marrying Junsu hyung but isn’t he the first one? Doesn’t he have more rights than Junsu hyung?” Chanyeol asked and Taeyeon sighed. “It’s not that easy, Chanyeol. Junsu might have not officially asked my hand for marriage yet but I do love him.” 

“More than you love Baekhyun?” 

“I-“ 

“I think you’re confusing your concern towards Junsu hyung with love.” 

“I’m saying this in the nicest way, Chanyeol. But you’re in no position to tell me what my feelings are.” Taeyeon defended. But what Chanyeol said made her think; was it really just concern towards Junsu that made her stay? 

Does she still love Baekhyun after all these time? 

“I’m sorry for being pushy, noona. I know I’m in no place to tell you what you feel and must do but I cannot stand seeing Baekhyun this way, we may have started in the wrong foot when we were young but he has the kindest heart to be able to forgive me for what I did and even make me a friend. I think, he deserves more than just a heartbreak.” Chanyeol explained and Taeyeon can feel the concern, worry and desperation in the latter’s voice and as much as she wanted to make a decision right then and there, she knows that she couldn’t, because she has Junsu. 

“I get it, Chanyeol. I do. But Baekhyun cannot even remember his name, don’t you think this is a sign? Don’t you think that this is our second shot to having a clean slate?” Taeyeon asked. It hurt, thinking that Baekhyun might not even remember her anymore but she’s making herself firmly believe that it’s for the best for all of them. 

“It’s not my place to say that noona. But I do hope you’ll make the best decision, regardless of Baekhyun’s situation.” Chanyeol said and Taeyeon nodded. Forcing a smile, she patted Chanyeol’s shoulder and motioned him to go back inside Baekhyun’s room. 

--

One, two, three weeks have passed uneventful. Baekhyun managed to recover partially and was told by his doctor to continue his recovery at home, his parents along with Junsu and Taeyeon were against this idea for they wanted him to spend his time at the hospital until he fully recovers but Baekhyun disagreed and told them that he doesn’t like it in the hospital anymore. During those three weeks, Baekhyun also found out a lot about himself, due to Chanyeol and Kai’s stories and along with his parent’s stories, Baekhyun felt like he had an idea who he was before. He also found out that he was adopted, which he took calmly to his parent’s surprise. 

It was initially planned for him to go back home to his parent’s house but to their dismay, Baekhyun chose to go and stay with Kai and Chanyeol making his family extremely worried on him. 

“Call umma and appa if you’re having a problem, okay?” Junsu told Baekhyun while pushing his wheelchair towards the hospital entrance where Kai and Chanyeol is waiting. “Hyung, I’m old enough to look after myself. I may not remember anything, but I think I do know how to look after myself.” Baekhyun playfully defended and Junsu smiled, he knew that it is his brother’s past self that was showing up. 

He glanced at their parents and they both nodded, also noticing the change in his demeanor. 

“Well, we’re just worried about you.” Junsu said, stopping at the entrance to help his parents bring Baekhyun’s bag towards Kai’s car. Since he cannot stand fully and carry the heavy bags himself, Baekhyun watched as his parents, brother, Kai and Chanyeol arrange his things in Kai’s car to make room for him in the passenger seat. 

“You take care, Baekhyun.” He heard a voice beside him say, he looked up sideways and smiled. “Of course, I will Taeyeon noona.” Baekhyun answered, smiling brightly. Taeyeon looked at him and forced a smile, she still cannot accept the fact that Baekhyun cannot remember her. 

“Well, it’s time for me to go.” Baekhyun said, noticing his friends approaching to get him. 
“See you around.” Taeyeon said, a hint of sadness evident in her voice. 

Baekhyun looked straight ahead and rolled the wheels only to stop and look sideways again, but this time, Taeyeon was already standing behind him. 

Taeyeon looked at him questioningly. 
“Please take good care of my brother. Please don’t break his heart.” 

Taeyeon’s breath hitched. It was what Baekhyun told her when he found out that they were getting married. 

Her tears threatened to spill. She was confused. 

Does he remember?