Chapter 10

Amnesia

“So that truck was yours?” Taeyeon asked while they were walking down a slope in the park. Hearing her question, Baekhyun shook his head with a small smile on his face. “No, I don’t really own it. My brother just asked me to look and take care of it while he’s gone.” Baekhyun said and Taeyeon raised her brows. 

“You have a brother?” Taeyeon asked. 

“Yeah, I have one.” Baekhyun answered. “He’s a cool brother.” 

Taeyeon nodded her head, a question bothering her for quiet a while now. It didn’t go unnoticed to the latter standing beside her. 

“Something wrong?” Baekhyun asked. “I.. actually heard something from the other students about you.” Taeyeon trailed not wanting to offend the latter with the words and questions she’s about to ask. 

“Oh, that I’m adopted?” Baekhyun asked straightforwardly and Taeyeon slowly and hesitantly nodded her head. 

Baekhyun chuckled. 

“So it isn’t true?” Taeyeon asked in relief upon seeing Baekhyun chuckle. “It’s real.” He said with a smile making Taeyeon look at him in disbelief. Taeyeon didn’t expect the latter to tell her the truth in all smiles, she expected that Baekhyun will deny it or either be sad about it but no, the latter confirmed it with a smile. 

She felt amused. 

“It’s.. real?” She asked still in disbelief and Baekhyun nodded his head. “And you’re not affected that people talk behind your back like that?” Taeyeon continued and Baekhyun shook his head, a smile never disappearing his face. 

“You know, the only way to happiness is not to care about anything else and not to expect, not to compare and not to worry.” Baekhyun said with a smile. “It’s hard, but I don’t think it will cause me good if I stay in a corner and bawl my eyes out just because they’re talking about me being adopted. I mean, it would probably hurt me if it was a lie but no, it’s real. So the least thing I can do is sit back and watch them.” Baekhuyn said with a grin and Taeyeon nodded her head, silently admiring the words she heard from the latter. 

“You’re really not affected?” Taeyeon asked again and Baekhyun chuckled as he nodded his head. 

“Not even one bit, unless they talk about my parents and my brother.” He said with a serious face. Taeyeon nodded her head. 

“Wow.” That’s all that she said making Baekhyun shake his head and chuckle. 

“What about you?” He asked. “You said you’re the only child right?” Baekhyun asked. 

“Nothing’s interesting in my life, I’m the only child and that’s it.” Taeyeon said with a shrug and Baekhyun nodded his head. 

But I'm interested in you, he thought but as soon as he realized what his thought about was, Baekhyun shook his head. 

"Something wrong?" Taeyeon asked upon seeing Baekhyun shaking his head. "Oh, I suddenly got dizzy." He said with a grin and Taeyeon looked at him worriedly. "Do you want to go home now? Maybe you're tired." Taeyeon said and Baekhyun shook his head, the smile on his face never faltered. 

"No, it's alright. It happens." He defended and Taeyeon nodded her head even when she's still worried about him. "I'm fine." He said knowing that Taeyeon's still worried about him. "Sure?" She asked and Baekhyun nodded his head. "Maybe we should go and take a sit first, you might get dizzy again."  Taeyeon said and Baekhyun chuckled. 

"I'm fine." He said. "I can do this." Baekhyun shook his head in a fast motion. "See?" He said while grinning at Taeyeon who was still looking at him worriedly. 

"I'm just worried." She mumbled but the latter managed to hear. "I'm fine." 

“Okay, but tell me if you get dizzy again.” She said and Baekhyun smiled as he nodded his head. 

“Yes ma’am.” 

 

 

 

“I’m home.” Baekhyun announced as soon as he arrived home, looking around, Baekhyun saw no signs of his parents. But then a familiar smell greeted his nose making him dash towards the kitchen. “Umma.” Baekhyun called the busy woman that was standing in front of a boiling pot. “Oh, you’re home.” His mother said sparing him a glance before going back to cooking. 

“Where’s appa?” Baekhyun asked as he jumped on the kitchen counter and took a seat. 

“Oh, he went to a friend’s house to watch some game.” His mother said and Baekhyun raised his brows. “Oh, will he be back home?” Baekhyun asked. 

“I don’t think so, he said they’re going to have a few drinks and I told him not to go anymore even if it’s just a glass of alcohol.” His mother stated and Baekhyun nodded his head. Soon silence engulfed them and only the sound of the of his mother’s cooking was heard. 

“Umma.” Baekhyun called after a brief silence. 

“Yes? What is it?” His mother asked as she dried her hands with a towel. “Would you be angry at me if.. if I ever had a girlfriend now?” Baekhyun cautiously asked and carefully waited for his mother’s reaction. He saw none making him nervous. “You like someone?” His mother asked. 

Yes. 

“No.” Baekhyun lied. “Just asking.” 

“Well, you do remember your promise to us right?” His mother asked and Baekhyun slowly nodded his head. “Yes.” He answered like a little kid. “Well, I’m holding onto that.” She said with a small smile and Baekhyun knew the answer, he’s quick-witted and he doesn’t need his mother to explain further to him anymore. 

“But--” 

“Don’t worry, umma. I won’t disappoint you.” He said with a grin and his mother shook her head as she let out a chuckle. 

“I’m just saying that relationships are distractions to your studies but if you can handle it well then you have the right to date. I won’t stop you.” His mother stated and Baekhyun smiled as he nodded his head, but still his mother’s statement wasn’t enough for him because what’s on his mind were the first statement she said. 

I’m holding onto that. 

“It’s alright umma, I just happened to think about it now.” Baekhyun said and his mother chuckled. “Don’t hesitate to tell me if you like someone right?” His mother said with a smile and even she does, Baekhyun can see what her eyes can’t hide. 

Fear and disappointment of him breaking his promise. 

“Sure, umma. You know I always tell you everything.” He said with a grin and his mother walked to him and patted his shoulder. 

“I’m glad you grew up well.” She said with a warm, genuine smile. 

Baekhyun felt guilty. 

Umma, will you be disappointed if I tell you that I just don’t like that someone anymore? Baekhyun thought. 

Will you be disappointed if I tell you that maybe I’ve fallen for her?