Chapter 50

Amnesia

"Junsu, what kind of question is that?" Sunny asked and Junsu immediately closed his mouth. "She was shocked," Sunny started. "I hope that you do understand that she's still a girl and she's shocked seeing your brother's state, you know that she's not that tough especially when it comes to situations like this." Sunny defended and Taeyeon can only let her friend defend her with lies, after all she cannot find excuses yet and to her, it's not the right time to tell Junsu the truth yet.

"But how about you? You were with her right? You saw my brother's state too, but unlike Taeyeon-"

"Don't be unreasonable Junsu. Firstly, she knows you're his brother that's why she rushed here first, and secondly she personally saw your brother's state. I'm nothing like Taeyeon and she's nothing like me. Look, I don't know where this is going but I'm not going to repeat what I said again, so I hope you understood already. Stop being childish, please." Sunny said cutting him off and Junsu remained silent. 

"I'm sorry, I was just surprised to see her here. In that state." Junsu said and Sunny faked a smile. "No need for explanations, just look after my friend or I'm going to hunt you down." Sunny threatened, not even caring if Junsu's parents heard it or not. 

"I know." Junsu said and Sunny gave Taeyeon a smile before leaving. "I'll go buy you something first. Is that okay?" Junsu asked Taeyeon as soon as Sunny left.

"S-Sure." Taeyeon answered and Junsu smiled a little as he lightly squeezed Taeyeon's hand before walking away. 

Sitting back to the bench, Taeyeon sighed as she closed her eyes. 

"Thank you for coming here immediately, Taeyeon-ah." Taeyeon heard Junsu's mother's voice. "I-It's not a problem, umma. I just happened to be around here when I saw the news." Taeyeon lied and Junsu's mother nodded her head before letting out a heavy sigh. 

"I don't even know my son anymore." Taeyeon heard the older lady's voice. "B-Baekhyun?" Taeyeon asked and Junsu's mother nodded her head. 

"W-Why?" She asked. 

"I don't know what has happened to him. You see, our Baekhyun's really a cheerful boy, he was never fond of getting into fights and his eyes were always lively that it's inevitably contagious until I don't know. One day, we just found out that he got into a couple of fights witht the same person, we were confused and waited for him to come out clean and he did, he told us he was just defending himself and we believed it. But then, his graduation day came, it was the worst."

"What happened?" Taeyeon asked. 

"It was like the world fell upon him, his eyes were no longer alive. It was dead, completely dead as if he lost a big part of his life. We tried asking him what was wrong but he never told us anything, and that very night he came home with blood, sweat and tears staining his face and we knew that he was going through something, yet we don't know what was it. I was afraid for my son. My husband and I  tried to find ways to get him to talk but eventually, we gave up." 

"Umma.." Taeyeon trailed. She was more than surprised to hear that, and that very moment, guilt started to eat her. 

"It's alright, Taeyeon-ah." The old lady said. "I've come to accept what had happened to my son. I just wish he'll be back like the way he was before." She added. "I'm sorry, I just need to let it all out." She finished.

I'm sorry, Taeyeon thought. 

"It's going to be alright, umma. It's going to be alright. You can count on me." Taeyeon said sincerely.

"Taeyeon-ah." She heard her voice being called. "Yes?" She asked as she faced Junsu. "Here." He said handling her a bottled water and a packed sandwich. 

"Thank you." She said as she gave Junsu a forced smile while the latter gave back with a sincere one. "Are you alright now?" He asked as he took a seat beside her and Taeyeon nodded her head. 

"Yes, I'm fine now." Taeyeon said and Junsu nodded his head. Soon enough, the operating room door opened and the doctor came out. 

"Are you the patient's relatives?" He asked and everyone stood up except for Junsu's father who was already standing.

"I-I'm his brother." Junsu said before his parents can even react. "How is he?" He added.

"He's fine now, but if I'm going to be honest here your brother almost lost his life earlier, his injuries are severe and it's mostly on his head and the side of his body where the truck slammed. All we can do now is wait for him to wake up." The doctor explained. 

"Is he finally safe from harm? What are my son's injuries?" 

It was Baekhyun's father that asked.

"I can say that he is, my colleagues and I worked very hard to save him, sir, so I can confidently say it and like I said earlier his injuries are mostly to the head but the others are a broken rib and arm and a fractured leg, if that's what you want to know." The doctor enumerated and Baekhyun's mother gasped, she can't even imagine what her son has gone through. 

"M-My son.."  The old woman trailed.

"Don't worry ma'am, your son is safe now and you can visit him on his room. He's going to be transferred there." The doctor said, trying to console the old woman.

"Thank you, doctor." Taeyeon said and the doctor smiled before giving them a bow and excusing himself.

"Umma, let's go see Baekhyun now so you and appa can go home." Junsu said and his mother gave him a questioning look. "Are you sure?" She asked and Junsu nodded his head.

"I'll be the one to look after him tonight." Junsu said as they started to walk back towards the nurse's station to ask for Baekhyun's room number.

"I can stay with you." Taeyeon volunteered. "Are you sure? You look tired already." Junsu worriedly said and Taeyeon shook her head. 

"I'm fine." She answered with a meek smile.

"I know Baekhyun's room number, let's go."

Taeyeon heard Junsu's father who was walking ahead of them said, lightly squeezing Junsu's hand, Taeyeon let go of him as she followed the elder ones. 

Arriving at Baekhyun's room, both Taeyeon and Baekhyun's mother gasped when they saw the state Baekhyun was in. His face was barely recognisable, most parts of his body wrapped in a cast. 

Hearing the latter, Junsu wrapped his arms around Taeyeon and pulled her closer in hopes to calm her down. "U-Umma, I think it's enough. You should go home now, you've seen Baekhyun." Junsu said knowing that her mother would probably breakdown if she stayed inside that room longer. 

Giving his dazed father a pleading look, Junsu motioned the old man to take his mother out of there. Knowing that it's the best thing to do right at that moment, Junsu's father nodded his head as he took his wife's hand and led her out of the room.

Walking towards the near couch, Taeyeon sat there in silence as Junsu sat beside her. 

"Is he going to be fine?" Taeyeon asked out of the blue surprising herself and even Junsu.

"He will, my brother will."  Junsu asked as he led Taeyeon''s head to rest on his shoulder. 

Taeyeon on the other hand relented, but even when she's with Junsu, her fiancee, her eyes are only focused on one person. 

Baekhyun.

____________________________________________________________

A/N: Update~