Chapter 15

Amnesia

“I..” Taeyeon trailed, surprised by Kai’s question. 

“I’m sorry to say this but noona, if you don’t like him the way he likes you then maybe you should not really pursue that ‘being friends again’ thing, it’ll only give him more pain. I can see the hesitation in your eyes, I know Baekhyun’s much younger than you and that he’s still a student here but what he feels for you is not just like a simple crush, I know that’s what holding you back so please, can you not hurt him even further when you don’t feel the same way? You’re going to give him a false hope if that happens.” Kai explained and Taeyeon nodded her head fully understanding Kai’s words. 

“I know Kai, I don’t intend to hurt your friend. Believe me.” Taeyeon said and Kai smiled a little as he nodded his head. “I know noona, I’m just keeping my friend from getting hurt.” Kai said and Taeyeon nodded her head.

“I don’t want him to get hurt too Kai, after all we’re f--” 

“Friends, I know.” Kai answered. “I’ll keep this between us noona, please don’t hurt him.” Kai said before giving her a bow and leaving. 

Taeyeon only stood in her place, still lost in her thoughts. 

 

 

“Byun Baekhyun, you’re not going to have your free period today. Go to the school’s green house and do a community service, now.” The teacher announced as soon as the time for their free period came, hearing what his teacher said, Baekhyun stood up from his chair and walked out of the room not failing to hear the faint buzz inside his homeroom. 

Arriving at the school’s garden. Baekhyun saw the student council president standing just outside the green house. “Oh, student Baekhyun right?” The student council president asked and Baekhyun nodded his head. “Yes.” He answered. 

“Okay, the administration told me that you’ll do a community service for a week. So for today, you can move the pots from there to here.” The student council president said while pointing at the pots that was placed a few meters away from the green house pointing from there to the place where they are standing. 

“Then, you have to move that sack of soil here too.” The student council president said while pointing at a couple of sack lying near the pots. “That’s all you have to do for today, you only have an hour each day so please do your work or another punishment will be added.” The student council president said before patting Baekhyun’s shoulder and walking away. 

Heaving out a sigh, Baekhyun took the outer layer of his uniform off leaving him only with his white shirt before placing it someplace where it won’t get dirty, making his way towards the pots, Baekhyun started to do his job diligently not caring if some of his classmates were looking out of the building windows watching him. 

Unbeknownst to him, a pair of eyes were watching him intently as he busied himself with his work. 

When will I finish this? Baekhyun asked himself mentally as he moved the fifth batch of pots near the greenhouse. Looking back, Baekhyun sighed when he saw that he needs to move another five batches, ten pots each. He would be fine if the pots were made out of plastic but no, it was made out stone and terracotta making it hard to transfer since it was heavy. 

What are they going to do with this anyways? He thought as he walked back to the pots and lifted another batch. Hearing the lunch bell ring, Baekhyun can’t help but to sigh knowing that he had to finish his punishment. 

I guess I had to pass lunch too, he thought as he shook his head. 

He’s already growing weary and his hunger didn’t help at all. 

Shaking his head, Baekhyun was about to go back and finish his work when he felt a hand grab his arm. Turning around, Baekhyun’s face immediately turned pale when he saw Taeyeon standing in front of him. 

“W-What are you doing here?” Baekhyun asked mentally scolding himself for stuttering. 

“I brought you lunch.” Taeyeon answered. “And I brought you a new shirt to change into. It’s with your uniform.” Taeyeon said while pointing at the ledge where Baekhyun placed his uniform. Looking there where she was pointing, Baekhyun saw a neat white shirt still wrapped. It was new. 

“Why?” Baekhyun asked with a frown. “Why? What?” Taeyeon asked not catching what he meant. 

“Why are you doing this?” Baekhyun asked, his voice slightly harsh and cold. 

“I..” Taeyeon said. “If you’re thinking about what you heard yesterday then you can forget about it. Pretend like it never happened, pretend like you never heard it.” Baekhyun said and even when it pained him, he can’t help but feel guilt thinking that Taeyeon was still trying to be nice to him even with what she heard just because he saved her from danger. 

“It’s not that.” Taeyeon defended. 

“Then what? Because from the way I see it you’re being like this because you feel indebted. But I’m telling you now that you don’t so please stop being nice to me.” Baekhyun said and Taeyeon looked down before heaving out a sigh. 

“Baekhyun, it’s not like that.” Taeyeon tried to defend herself. Tears blurring her vision. 

“Then what?” He asked, his voice weak. 
“I’m scared, okay?!” Taeyeon said finally losing it. “I’m scared for you! I saw how you reacted when you saw what Chanyeol did to me, I made you turn into something you’re not Baekhyun. You’re doing all of this when I should be the one in your place, you don’t know what I feel right now seeing you suffer because of me.” 

Baekhyun was lost for words. 

“I should be the one doing this and not you, it was my fault.” 

“No, Taeyeon. Listen to me.” Baekhyun said as he grabbed her shoulders and make her look at him. 

“It’s not your fault, you’re not at fault.” He said while looking straight into her eyes that was filled with tears, it broke his heart seeing and hearing her be that way. 

“Then how--” 

“It’s bound to happen sooner or later anyways, even if it’s not him. I still won’t let anyone lay a hand on you and if I have to do it over and over again then I would.” Baekhyun said while looking straight into her eyes. 

“I’m sorry if I made you feel bad yesterday, I’m sorry for walking away but I meant what I said yesterday. It’s alright if you don’t feel the same way, I won’t force you. Just stop blaming yourself over something you didn’t do.” Baekhyun said and Taeyeon sighed as she nodded her head. 

Will I really be alright? He asked himself. But it’s for her sake, his mind added. 

“Go back now, I’ll be fine here and thanks for worrying.” He said with a fake smile hiding his disappointment knowing that Taeyeon doesn’t feel the same way. 

Turning his heels around, Baekhyun stopped when he heard Taeyeon’s voice. 

“Baekhyun?” She called and he stopped his pace but didn’t face her afraid that he might break down. 

“Let’s give us a try.” 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: *cries*