Prologue

Avatar: Legend of Kyungsoo

 

Fire, Air, Water, Earth. 

The four nations once again continue to live in harmony thanks to Avatar Aang and Avatar Korra. The spirit and physically world are now in balance and spirits and humans can travel and live peacefully among eachother. A century has now passed, and Avatar Korra is gone. The next avatar, a fifteen-year old earthbender named Do Kyungsoo has discovered he is the one. His heart is kind and gentle, just as Avatar Aang. The spirit of Rava lives inside of him, meaning it is his duty to protect the world and keep it in balance, but the task is easier said than done. Not everyone in the world can remain at peace for long. There is always a force that thirsts for chaos and destruction.

 

Life wasn't always easy for Kyungsoo. He lived in Ba Sing Se with his grandfather. His parents were nobles of the estates and always thought of Kyungsoo as a "disturbance." When Kyungsoo was ten years old, he went to live with his grandfather in the lower class area. His parents loved him, but they loved royalty more and they thought Kyungsoo was anything but royalty. They knew he was the avatar since the day he was born because of the toys he chose from. He never bended any other elements on his own, although he did manage to create a small flame with the snap of his finger when he was five, but he was too young to understand what happened and the thought never occured to him. 

Kyungsoo hated Ba Sing Se. Too many walls, people and rules. He wasn't a rebel, but even the calm know when enough is enough. He often spend time practicing his earthbending with his grandfather in the outer wall. It was the only thing he looked forward to when he was in his home city. Grandpa Do was an incredible earthbender despite his age. He moved around like he was still in his twenties and his muscles were massive. He was happy to have him in his life. It was the only thing keeping him sane whenever he was home. About a year ago when Kyungsoo was fourteen, he dated an older guy named Kris who was from a higher ranked noble family. Kris was a skilled lavabender, taking after his great grandfather. He also could metalbend, which created the bond between he and Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo always enjoyed watching Kris train. His shirt thrown off, exposing his sweaty chest and abs as well as his strong arms. The very sight of him like that would woo Kyungsoo. Throughout the year they were dating, Kris would try to teach Kyungsoo the basics of metalbending, per request. It was the perfect excuse for him to spend time with Kris. Kyungsoo always blushed whenever Kris would wrap his big arms around him to correct his form. Not too long after their training together, they became an item, and their training sessions would become a little more intimate. They would wrestle playfully on the ground and Kris would pin him down, sitting on top of him then planting kisses everywhere he could. Kyungsoo loved it. He loved Kris with all his heart. He made him happy to be a citizen of Ba Sing Se. He could see his face everyday. Life was good for Kyungsoo that year, but Kyungsoo's fifteenth birthday was the darkest day of his life.

Kris broke up with Kyungsoo on his birthday without a reason. Kyungsoo cried and pleaded with Kris to understand the meaning of it. He thought they were happy and in love. They never even argued. Kris' tone remained harsh and brutal as he spat the venomous words at Kyungsoo, leaving him broken. "I was never serious about you. I strung you along for fun. I never actually loved you. You're a lower class than me and you live in the slums. You're trash," the words Kris said that day.

Not only did Kyungsoo lose the love of his life, he found out he was the avatar on the exact same day, which stressed him out even more. Kyungsoo decided to get away for a while and visit his best friend, Kai who lived in a fire nation colony. When Kyungsoo knocked on Kai's door in tears, Kai automatically said, "Where is he?? I'll kill that bastard." Kai knew of Kyungsoo and Kris' relationship and he hated Kris because he was a pampered stuck up prince. He though Kyungsoo deserved better. Kai tried to storm out, but Kyungsoo held him back. "No! Don't! I don't want anymore drama!" he said to him. That didn't stop Kai. He wasn't the type to soothe wounds first. He always wanted to get even. An eye for an eye. Several forests were burned down that day as he trudged to Ba Sing Se, but wasn't even allowed through the walls. Ba Sing Se was mainly a place for refugees, not angry fire nation boys.

Kyungsoo gave up on the idea of trying to talk to Kai and decided to send a messenger hawk to his other best friend Lay who lived in the Southern Water Tribe. Lay was more reasonable than Kai and didn't believe that fighting solved all the problems. He loved the advice Lay would give, but he never got to see him often because he lived so far away. Kyungsoo's message was heartfelt as he told Lay he really needed his best friend right now. When Lay received the message, he packed a bag with a week's worth of clothing and items headed to Republic City, which is where Kyungsoo asked to meet him. 

Once they met up, Lay hugged him tight and rubbed the back of his head. Kyungsoo didn't like crying in front of his friends, but he couldn't help it. "Shh, don't cry, Soo. It'll be alright. I'm here now," Lay said in a soft, gentle tone. Lay took Kyungsoo to an oasis in the outskirts of Republic City. Lay took his shirt off, Kyungsoo blushed a little. "W-what are you doing?" he asked. Lay smiled softly and got in the water. "Whenever I'm stressed, I like to just sit in the water, it helps to relax. Come here," he said offering his smile with his dimples in full bloom. Kyungsoo agreed and tossed his shirt of as well. He got into the water and sat down in the middle of the oasis. Lay sat behind him and gently pulled Kyungsoo to lean back between his legs and rest on Lay's chest. Kyungsoo didn't mind. Lay gently bended enough water to enclose his hand, then he rubbed it on Kyungsoo's shoulder, causing him to shiver a little.

"It's c-cold," he said. Lay smiled and leaned up to rest his chin on Kyungsoo's shoulder. "I really missed you Lay. I never get to see you anymore."

"I've been training a lot with my brother, so I haven't had time to come visit. I'm sorry," Lay said still rubbing Kyungsoo's shoulders. "If it makes you feel any better, I'll stay with you for a while. We can do all the things we used to do as kids! We can even go penguin sledding back at the South Pole if you wanna come visit me," Lay said with excitement in his voice.

"That sounds great, but...I have something to tell you.." said Kyungsoo.

"What is it?" Just as Kyungsoo was about to speak, he heard a loud voice.

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING ZHANG???" It was Kai. He trudged into the water and pulled Kyungsoo from Lay's grip.

"Kai! How'd you find me?" a surprised Kyungsoo asked.

"I followed the scent," Kai said pointing towards Lay. "I knew he was here cause I can smell him a mile away. He smells like two week old seal jerky. Water tribe people, tch." Lay rolled his eyes and stood up and bended the water off of himself.

"Long time, no see Kai. Good to see you too," he said sarcastically.

"Don't patronize me!" said Kai.

"Guys! Please! Don't fight, I'm really not in the mood today," said Kyungsoo.

"Of course, Soo. It's your birthday and you should be celebrating," Lay said with a smile on his face.

"There's nothing to celebrate..." Kyungsoo said. The wind slowly began to pick up and the sun was shaded by thick clouds that began to float by.

"Forget that bastard, Kris. He ain't nothin'! And who the hell are you calling Soo, Yixing??? He's my Soo! Only I can call him that," said Kai. Lay rolled his eyes and bended the water underneath Kai's feet, causing him to fall down. A satisfied smirk formed across Lay's face. Kai got up and aimed his angry eyes toward Lay. "You son of a..."

"Guys! Kris breaking up with me isn't the only bad thing that's happened today," Kyungsoo interupted.

"What's wrong, Soo? What else happened?" Lay said moving closer to Kyungsoo with worry in his eyes.

"Today...my grandpa told me that...I'm the avatar." Kai and Lay's facial expressions changed, neither of them spoke for several moments.

"Y-you're the avatar?" said Kai. Kyungsoo lowered his head and nodded quietly. Lay grabbed one of Kyungsoo's hands and rubbed it softly.

"Why are you so down about it? That's great news. I always knew you were special, Kyungsoo," said Lay. Kyungsoo pulled his hand away.

"No, it's not great news. It's terrible news. I don't want to be the avatar. My life's just too complicated." Kai bumped Lay out of the way and wrapped his arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder.

"Don't worry, baby. I'm here for you. If anything stresses you out again just let me know and I'll kill somebody okay?" he said trying to sound as comforting as possible but it wasn't working.

"Who the hell are you calling baby.." Lay said with a deep scowl.

"I just..I don't know if I'm ready for this.." Kyungsoo said looking up at the sky.

"Listen, Kyungsoo, I know you're going through a rough patch but being the avatar means you get to travel and experience things that not everyone can do in their lifetime," Lay said smiling. "Just think of it as a vacation away from your home, that loser, and your troubles."

Kyungsoo perked up at the idea of leaving his home for a while. "I guess you're right," he said. Lay leaned down to kiss Kyungsoo's cheek. "Of course I am," he said smiling again. Kai's eyes widened.

"GET YOUR BASTARD LIPS OF HIS FACE YOU DIRTY WATER TRIBE SLUG!!!" Kai yelled punching a fire blast Lay's way. Lay immediately bended water to cool the blast at it blackened inside the ice. The two of them began to go at it while Kyungsoo was still deep in thought.

"An escape..from my life," he said aloud, not even hearing the action going on around him. He knew he couldn't change his destiny. He didn't want to accept it just yet, but maybe Lay was right. Maybe being the avatar could be a good thing...or maybe it could be a curse.

 

-------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hi guys!! Thank you for subscribing! I know I said I would post the prologue in a few days, but I felt like doing it now ^^ so the story might start sooner than expected!! Let me know how you like this little prologue and also let me know what other ship pairs you would like to see! Thanks again for the subs! ^^