Puppetmaster II

Avatar: Legend of Kyungsoo

 

On a cold night in the South Pole, when everyone was asleep. Luhan shifted from his bed and went outside. He looked up at the moon. It was a waxing crescent. He didn't need a full moon alone to use his ability. His grandmother told him this and demanded he began kidnapping fire nation villagers every night rather than just the night of the full moon. Luhan tried to argue against it, but was responded to by a hard slap in the face. That evening, Luhan cried into his pillow until it was time for him to leave. He knew he had no choice. He could feel his great grandmother Hama's eyes on him every night, making sure he cooperated.

Luhan went to the bay where all the Water Tribe boats were. He quickly hopped aboard one of the smaller ones, releasing the rope that had tied the boat to the dock and pushed off. He slowly moved his arms around, manipulating the currents in the water and sprung off like a jet ski in the direction of the nearest Fire Nation Village, the one he always went to this time of night. Once he got there, he tied up the boat and quickly hurried into the village, making sure to be unseen. When he spotted a villager, he performed bloodbending on the man. Reaching inside him, taking control of every part of his body. The man shrieked in pain.

"W-what is happening to me!?!?" he cried out. Luhan didn't stop there, he possessed another man who was walking by. Then a few others rushed in their direction when they heard the screams. Luhan bloodbended them all, and it was perfect. He didn't miss a single person, a single blood vessel, a single vein. He had everyone in his control. Luhan led the villagers under a mountain where he locked them up. There were many villagers there who had been locked up the previous night Luhan came. No food, no water. Some villagers who had been there for months died. Luhan hated seeing them suffer. He felt guilty and afraid. He felt as if he were a murderer.

Once he locked the villagers away, he went back to his boat and sighed. "I don't see why I have to do this. The Fire Nation locked away Hama and her family centuries ago. Things have changed, so why must this continue? I can't take this anymore," Luhan said to himself then bursting into a sob. Just then, he looked up when he felt another body standing his boat. A silhouette of a man with a scarf waving in the wind. Luhan held his breath, afraid.

"W-who a-are y-you?" He whispered in terror.

"Luhan of the Water Tribe, right?" said the man.

"Y-yes..."

"I'm impressed by your bloodbending. I've been watching you since you arrived here, my name is Chen."

"Bloodbending is nothing I'm proud of. I hate it,"

"Then why do you do it? You're wasting your time on villagers when you can use it where it's needed. I can take you away from this cursed cycle you endure, if you help me." Luhan perked his head up at Chen's words. He wanted nothing more than to be free from the torment of imprisoning innocent villagers for no reason.

"Y-you can really do that? I don't have to kidnap villagers?" He asked.

"Oh no, not at all. What do you say?"

"Okay, I'll help you. I just want my own life back."

Chen smiled. "Great. Now go home and say your goodbyes. I will come for you at dusk."

"Wait, what?" Before giving an explanation, Chen disappeared into the night.

 

Once Luhan sailed back to the South Pole, it was nearly dawn. It hurried to get the boat back to the bay before anyone had realized it was gone. He hopped off and began walking, then came across Xiumin.

"Luhan? What on earth are you doing up so early? You don't look like you slept at all," he said examining Luhan's eyes.

"I-I..." Luhan's eyes began to water. He always felt guilty when Xiumin would flash his bright smile at him and noticing when something as wrong and caring to ask. Before he realized it, he began to cry. Xiumin looked shocked and pulled the younger into a hug.

"Shhh it's okay, I'm here. Don't worry, Luhan," Xiumin said rubbing his head and back gently.No...I don't deserve your embrace, Luhan thought. Xiumin slowly pulled back and lifted Luhan's head to look into his eyes.

"Now tell me what's wrong? Is something going on at your house?" He asked in concern for his student. Luhan didn't answer. He wanted to stay in Xiumin's embrace and pretend that everything was alright, never awakening from his dream. Luhan's arms remained locked around Xiumin's body. All he could do was sniffle. Xiumin nodded understandingly and continued to caress the boy. "It's okay," he repeated. Just then, Suho exited his tent and saw them.

"Xiumin? What's going on?" He asked as he approached them.

"I'm not sure dad, he just started crying suddenly and he's too upset to speak," Xiumin said looking down at the boy.

"Come on, Luhan. Let's go get you something hot to drink," Suho said extending his hand. Luhan looked up at Xiumin, and Xiumin nodded for him to go off with his dad. Luhan reluctantly let go Xiumin and took Suho's hand.

"Luhan, don't worry. You don't have to come to training today. Just rest okay?" said Xiumin. Luhan nodded as Suho pulled him away to make him some tea and to calm him down. Xiumin watched them go. He had a soft spot for Luhan and was incredibly worried about him. He made a decision to confront Luhan's mother after he finished his tasks for the day.

 

"Drink up, Luhan. It'll calm you down," Suho said in a gentle tone. Luhan kept his eyes on his cup and slurped his tea.

"T-thank you...but you don't have to be so nice to me.." Luhan finally said.

"Nonsense. What is it that's gotten you so down, Luhan?" asked Suho. Luhan's eyes quivered and his hands began to shake.

"I-I'm a criminal..."

"What?"

"I don't deserve kindness from Xiumin now matter how much I love him and I most certainly don't deserve to be taken in your care..."

"Luhan, what on earth are you talking about, child?"

"My great great grandmother...her name was Hama. I'm sure you've heard of her..."

Suho's expression slowly changed. "The woman...who invented bloodbending..?" he said. Luhan nodded.

"Even though she's dead, her legacy still is sought out. My grandmother, mother and now me. I'm forced to do it, I don't want to but I have no choice Cheif Suho..." Luhan said feeling himself about to cry. Suho remained in shock, but then was interrupted by his radio going off. He picked it up to answer the call. While he was talking, Luhan slipped out of the tent and ran away.

"I shouldn't be here, I can't take it anymore!" He said running and sobbing at the same time. He then thought of Chen and wondered where he was. He was ready to leave before he saw the look on Xiumin's face when he found out Luhan was a bloodbender, not to mention what he was doing with his power. Luhan jumped in the water and splashed himself to the Fire Nation village he had just been at. He figured if he waited there, Chen would come. He sat on the ground curled into a ball and sobbed his eyes out.

"Xiumin...I'm so sorry...I'm so sorry..."