Things Will Change

Avatar: Legend of Kyungsoo

After a long talk with Lay, Kyungsoo returned back home to speak with his grandfather. He was ready to take on the tasks of being the avatar. He wanted to train in different parts of the world to experience culture and a breath of fresh air. No more walls. No more grumpy cabbage merchants, and certainly no more Dai Li. When Kyungsoo came back, his grandfather was practicing earthbending.

"Grandpa?" he called. Before he knew it, Grandpa chucked a rock towards Kyungsoo rapidly, but his sharp sense kicked in as he split the rock in two with a stance he learned from Grandpa.

"Very nice reflexes, Kyungsoo-ah," he said. "How are you feeling? You stormed off so sudden before we had a chance to discuss anything."

"I'm sorry, Grandpa. I just had a lot on my mind and I couldn't handle all of this at once. I just needed to go and calm down for a while. But I'm ready to listen now," said Kyungsoo. Grandpa smiled and motioned for Kyungsoo to follow him. They went back to the house and Grandpa made two cups of warm jasmine tea.

"Would you like any lotus flower petals in your tea? It's delicious," he asked. Kyungsoo shook his head.

"No thanks, I'm good." Grandpa handed Kyungsoo his tea as they sat at the dining room table.

"I know being the avatar isn't easy and won't be. Avatar Aang didn't want to be the avatar, and look what he's accomplished. He ended and one hundred year war and built Republic City. Just think of what you can accomplish if you put your mind to it," Grandpa said as his eyes sparkled.

"That's the same thing Lay said. He said it's an opportunity to do great things. I realize that I don't wanna be here. I want to travel and meet new people. I've never even seen an actual Air Temple or even met an airbender. I feel confined to these walls. I don't want to sit around feeling sorry for myself because Kris left me. I want to move on, Grandpa. And I think this all happened for a reason. My parents kicking me out, Kris dumping me. They're all signs," said Kyungsoo.

Grandpa nodded as he took a sip of his tea. "Good, good good," he said.

"I think it's time I left, Grandpa." Grandpa slowly lowered the teacup from his mouth.

"I knew this day would come. I knew you'd eventually leave Ba Sing Se to begin your avatar training. I'm very proud of you for taking the initiative and following your destiny. I'm a little worried though. It's a cold world out there, just make sure you're careful."

"I know, but don't worry. I won't be alone. Kai and Lay said they would accompany me. They even said they would teach me fire and waterbending," Kyungsoo said with a smile.

"Oh, both of them? Together? Oh dear.." Grandpa said with a chuckle. Kyungsoo chuckled as well.

"Yeah, I'll have to put up with their bickering but I'll be really happy to have them with me. We'll be the new Team Avatar," said Kyungsoo.

"Well I'm glad that you seem a little more comfortable with being the avatar," said Grandpa. Kyungsoo smiled and nodded.

"I'm gonna miss you Grandpa," he said.

"I'll miss you as well, my boy. Your earthbending has improved greatly. Keep your stealth and stamina up and you should be fine." Kyungsoo stood up and rushed to give his grandpa a hug. Grandpa chuckled in surprise and hugged his grandson back.

"I promise to come back and visit between training!" Grandpa nodded and went back to sipping his tea. Kyungsoo grabbed a small knapsack and began packing his things. He was about ready to head out when grandpa called him. Kyungsoo turned around to see his grandfather carrying a small sack full of copper and silver pieces.

"Take this and buy some food for your journey from the market," Grandpa said as he smiled. Kyungsoo returned the smile and bowed respectfully.

Kyungsoo stopped by the street market to pick out fruit. He didn't like shopping because people were always in the way and bumping and shoving. He had to find the strength not to throw a rock in their faces. He was eyeing the papaya when he heard a familiar voice behind him.

"Hey," the voice said. Kyungsoo felt shivers go up and down his spine, for he knew who that voice belonged to. He slowly turned around to face his ex boyfriend. Kyungsoo automatically scowled, but inside his heart was pounding.What the heck is he doing here?? He thought to himself. The very sight of Kris made Kyungsoo want to hurl.

"What do you want?" Kyungsoo said in a snappy tone.

"Is it true?" Kris asked.

"Is what true," Kyungsoo said turning his attention back to the papaya.

"That you're the avatar," he said.

"None of your business," Kyungsoo replied bitterly.

"How come you never told me?" asked Kris. Kyungsoo could feel his anger boiling up. He wanted to snap but he remembered he was in public. He didn't want to pull a Kai stunt and cause a scene, so he kept his voice and a normal tone.

"What does it matter? It wouldn't have changed the fact that you ripped my heart out. Why are you even here?? I thoughted you hated slumdogs like me," he barked.

"The news is spreading around and they said that you would be leaving.."

"And? Newsflash. Didn't you just breakup with my twelve hours ago? Why the hell are you even talking to me?? I never see you or talk to you again after what you said to me...on my birthday too..." Kyungsoo could feel his emotion taking over. He felt tears swell in his eyes. No. Don't you DARE cry. Don't show him any emotion. Kyungsoo commanded himself.

"Kyungsoo..I-I'm sorry," Kris said taking a step forward, causing Kyungsoo to automatically step back. "You better stop right there. Don't apologize. I don't need your pity. Yeah I'm the avatar so what? You are no longer in my life. Kai was right about you. All you care about is money and status."

"I just...where will you stay?" said Kris. Kyungsoo was ready to triple backslap this boy if he said one more word to him. Keep it together, Kyungsoo. If you slap him now people will be staring.

"I'm done with you. Good night," Kyungsoo said as he paid for his papaya and headed towards the gate to the outer wall. Kris stood there and watched him go. What were his ulterior motives? Pretending to care like that. Pfft.

With a sour taste in mood now thanks to a certain someone, Kyungsoo exited the walls and met Kai and Lay in the front.

"What took you so long? I was ready to strangle this loser," Kai said pointing his thumb towards Lay.

"I had an unexpected visitor..." Kyungsoo said looking down with irritation in his voice.

"What's wrong?" asked Lay.

Kyungsoo sighed. "I was at the market and Kris showed up trying to talk to me," he said. Kai's eyes widened/

"What the hell did he say to you?? I swear I'll burn him alive," Kai threatened.

"He was trying to make me feel stupid. I don't need his pity. I don't even wanna talk about him, can we change the subject?" said Kyungsoo.

"Of course, Kyungsoo. Where do you want to go?" said Lay giving a soft smile.

"I..hadn't really thought of that. I kinda was just ready to go. I don't really have a plan yet," Kyungsoo admitted.

Lay tapped his chin. "Well, how about you come to the South Pole with me to learn waterbending? We could train with Xiumin together!" he suggested.

"OH HEEELLLLL NO! If Kyungsoo's goin' anywhere it's gonna be to the Fire Nation with me. I'm gonna teach him firebending," said Kai. Lay frowned.

"I really think Kyungsoo should learn waterbending first. Water is cool and soothing. It'll take his stress away and clear his mind. And no offense but I don't think you'd be a good firebending teacher for Kyungsoo anyway. You have anger problems and rely on strength rather than skill. You'll get yourself killed doing that," he said.

"You don't know anything about my skills so why don't you keep your mouth shut before I rip that tongue out of your throat. He's my best friend and I'm teaching him firebending damn it!!" yelled Kai.

"Well he's my best friend too and I know he needs healing right now. You'd know if you had any sensitivity towards others' feelings," said Lay.

"Oh shut up you sound stupid with that sensitive crap. THAT'S how you get yourself killed! Besides, since Kyungsoo's an earthbender, he needs to follow the avatar cycle and FIRE comes after EARTH! Now sit down ," said Kai.

"He doesn't have to do it that way. Avatar Korra practiced three elements at a time, so Kyungsoo can do what the hell he wants. Your reckless would probably burn him during training since you have no damn self control," said Lay.

"Do you wanna die!?!?!?" yelled Kai.

"Guys guys guys! I'm the avatar here. Don't you think I should decide?" said Kyungsoo finally cutting in.

"Of course, Soo. It's totally up to you, and what ever you decide I'll support you all the way," Lay said smiling.

"Don't listen to him, Soo. I'd never burn you, I promise!" said Kai. Kyungsoo tapped his chin for a moment, thinking hard.

"Hmmm well, I think I should follow the avatar cycle and start with firebending," he finally said. Kai pumped his fists in the air.

"YES!!!! How do ya feel now Zhang?? He REJECTED you!!! Hahahah!"

Lay rolled his eyes and bended water from a nearby puddle to slap him in the face. "Whoops, hand slipped," he said. Before Kai had a chance to reciprocate, Kyungsoo stood in front of him with sparkles in his eyes.

"So where can we go to train, Kai? I've never seen all of the fire nation colonies," he said. Kai blushed as Kyungsoo's smile was like a drug. How badly Kai wanted to kiss those soft, plump lips, Kyungsoo had no idea. Kai cleared his throat and tried to get all the dirty thoughts out of his mind.

"U-um w-we could uh.." he choked out as his voice cracked. Lay threw his head back with laughter. "What the hell are you laughin' at punk?" Kai growled at Lay.

"You sound like a caveman. Use proper Korean please," said Lay. Kai clenched his teeth and held up his fist which burst into flames. Kyungsoo tugged on Kai's shirt.

"You never answered my question, Kai," he said. Kai lowered his fist and cleared his throat.

"Yeah like I was saying, we can use the training grounds. I go there all the time with my friend, Chanyeol. We use it for agni-kai...fire duels," said Kai.

"Yeah I know what an agni kai is. I've never seen one in person though," said Kyungsoo.

"You wanna see one?" Kai said with a smirk on his face. Kyungsoo smiled.

"Yeah definitely!!" he said clapping with joy.

"Alright sweet. I'll show you how cool I really am. You've never seen me using my bending to the limit. You'll be impressed," Kai said getting closer to Kyungsoo, rubbing his hand down his arm slowly. Another water whip slapped the hand Kai was touching Kyungsoo's arm with.

"Whoops, slipped again," said Lay.

"Well come on guys, we should get going! I'm feeling excited," said Kyungsoo.

Lay smiled and walked up to Kyungsoo to pat his shoulder. "I'm glad you are! It's nice to see you being excited about being the avatar, and even nicer to see a smile on your face. It killed me seeing you cry earlier today," he said.

"It killed me more," Kai grumbled.

"What are you, five?" said Lay.

"Keep smart talkin' me and I'm burnin' your . Ugh. Seriously does this guy have to come with us, Soo? I'd like it better if it were just me and you. Alone," said Kai. Kyungsoo nodded.

"Yes, Lay is coming so you both are just gonna have to deal with it," Kyungsoo said smiling. "To the Fire Nation!" Kyungsoo said marching off. Before following after him, Kai stopped Lay.

"If you get in my way, you're dead," he said.

"Ditto. Keep your hands off him," Lay replied.

"As if you're one to talk! I saw you rubbing your hands all around his shoulder hugging up against him! What the hell was that huh!?!"

"I was comforting him. I always give him a healing session when he's stressed. Be jealous. Be very jealous."

"Asswipe. Look, now that Kris is finally out of the picture, I finally have a chance with him so back off!"

"What if I want a chance with him?"

"Denied."

"."

"Prick."

"Hey guys are you coming or what??" Kyungsoo shouted already ahead of them.

"Coming Soo!" Lay called. The two of them angrily glared at eachother and hurried to catch up with Kyungsoo. The new avatar would begin his firebending training first.

 

------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey guys! Decided to do a double update because your subs are inspiring me to write! ^^ thank you all so much! I will probably update tomorrow as well! Hope you enjoyed the first chapter! :3