Agni-Kai

Avatar: Legend of Kyungsoo

 

Once they arrived to the Fire Nation, they went to Kai's house. It was too late, nearing three in the morning. Kai lived alone. He didn't have any parents or at least he never knew who they were so he'd like to think that he didn't. He did have a family friend who would often check in on him, so he wasn't completely alone, but he didn't care at all.

Kai unlocked the door to his house and led Kyungsoo in, trying to close the door on Lay, but Kyungsoo smacked the back of Kai's head. "Let him in, Kai," he said sternly. Kai groaned and opened the door for Lay. Kai's house was rather small, the perfect fit for one person.

"So we can just share my bed Kyungsoo," Kai said with a smirk.

"Where's Lay gonna sleep?" asked Kyungsoo.

"Oh there's a barn just around the corner. He'll fit in there, some of his cousins live there," Kai said trying not to burst out in laughter.

"Very funny. In fact a barn might be rather comfier than this old run down shack. How can you live in this dump??" said Lay.

"Come on guys, it's late. Let's get some sleep," Kyungsoo said yawning. He then pulled out a blanket from his knapsack and handed it to Lay. "Here, you can use this. It'll make the floor more comfortable for you," he said with a smile.

Lay returned the smile and took the blanket. "Thanks Kyungsoo, but I'm gonna sleep outside. I don't know what kind of creatures run around this nasty floor at night," he said flashing a scowl at Kai then heading out the door.

"Good he's gone," said Kai. He threw off his shirt and jumped into his bed. "Baby come here," Kai said holding his arms out. Kyungsoo ignored him and began unpacking his bag. Kai sat up and looked at him when he didn't respond.

"You're unpacking now? Why don't you just do it in the morning?" he asked.

"Because I wanna go straight to training in the morning, and I won't have to worry about doing this later," Kyungsoo responded. "There's so many places I want to see in the Fire Nation. Do you think we could explore some of the temples tomorrow as well?"

"We can do whatever you want, baby," Kai replied with a sleepy yawn. "Now come here." Kyungsoo finished unpacking his things and put clothes in one of Kai's drawers, then got into bed with Kai. Kai wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo and cuddled him closely.

"You're really warm," said Kyungsoo.

"It's a firebender thing," Kai replied with his eyes closed.

"Ah," said Kyungsoo. Just when Kyungsoo was finally about to fall asleep, he felt Kai rubbing his hands up and down his body.

"What are you doing?" Kyungsoo asked.

"I'm warming you up. It gets cold at night. Can't have you freezing," Kai replied.

"Maybe I should tell Lay to come in, he could freeze--"

"He lives in the friggin South Pole he'll survive," Kai said annoyed.

"I still don't understand why you two don't get along, and don't say it's a fire and water thing because Korra and Mako were good friends, also Zuko and Katara," said Kyungsoo.

"We just...don't. Now go to sleep, Soo," Kai replied. Kyungsoo didn't ask anymore questions and they both fell asleep.

 

The next morning was bright and warm. Kyungsoo climbed out of bed with a large yawn, however Kai still had his arms clunged around Kyungsoo's waist and refused to let go, still deep in his sleep.

"Kai, time to wake up," Kyungsoo said poking him. As he was still attempting to awaken the sleepy firebender, Lay came in the door and bended water from his canteen to splash on Kai's face---automatically waking him up. "Thanks Lay," Kyungsoo said smiling. Kai stomped out of bed startled and grabbed Lay by the collar of his shirt.

"I dare you to do that again," he threatened. Kyungsoo pulled Kai's arm forcing him to release his grip on Lay.

"Come on Kai! It's time to go! You said you would show me an agni kai!" he said excitedly. Kai could never resist Kyungsoo's bright, happy face. He pulled on a shirt and put on his shoes.

"Alright then, let's go." he said.

 

At the Fire Nation Training Grounds, there were props for practicing the martial arts aspect and the bending aspect. When they arrived, there was already a boy there practicing. He was a tall brunette male. He continuously threw out fire blasts from his fists and feet, practicing his martial art forms as well.

"Yo! Chanyeol!!" Kai called out cupping his hands. Chanyeol stopped and looked over at Kai.

"What the hell are you doin' up so early?? You normally sleep in til two in the afternoon!" he shouted back.

"I've got company! I wanna introduce you!" Chanyeol then ran over to them. Kai put his arm around Kyungsoo.

"This is Kyungsoo," he said smiling. Chanyeol offered a warm smile to Kyungsoo. He took his hand and began shaking it repetitively.

"Ahh so this is Kyungsoo!! Finally nice to meet you! Kai tells me so much about you!!" said Chanyeol still shaking his hand, so hard that Kyungsoo felt he would rip his hand right off.

"Nice to meet you too, Chanyeol," he replied in pain.

"He's the avatar," Kai bragged. Chanyeol's eyes widened.

"Avatar eh? So you know how to firebend?? I'm always looking for a new opponent," he said.

"Oh no I haven't firebended before, well I mean I did a little when I was five, but it was just a tiny spark or so," said Kyungsoo.

"You came to the right place then! Kai and I can teach you! Oh wait who's that?" Chanyeol asked pointing to Lay. Kai rolled his eyes.

"Some dude from the Water Tribe," Kai answered dully. Chanyeol scrunched his face.

"That explains that smell," he said quietly.

"This is Lay, he's my best friend," Kyungsoo said proudly, causing Lay to smile.

"Yeah yeah but Kyungsoo likes me better so are we gonna get on with this or what?' said Kai.

"I really want to see an agni kai! After hearing the story of Fire Lord Zuko and Princess Azula's agni kai, I was always curious to witness one," said Kyungsoo. Chanyeol smiled.

"Should we give him a show?" he asked. Kai nodded and motioned for Kyungsoo to sit on the bleachers

"It's gonna get really hot, wouldn't want you getting hurt," Kai said rubbing the sides of Kyungsoo's arms then hugging him tight, which was a surprise in Kyungsoo.

"What's gotten into you?' Kyungsoo asked chuckling. Kai smiled at him, so tempted to lean down and kiss his lips, literally inches away. "Kai?" Lay then intervined by pulling Kyungsoo towards the benches.

"Ohhhkaaay let's grab out seats," he said. Kai scowled, then followed Chanyeol to the center of the arena.

"So, that's the great Do Kyungsoo who you're in love with?" asked Chanyeol.

"SHHHH! Keep it down! Yeah that's him, but that bastard waterbender likes him too and he always gets in my damn way," said Kai.

"Well good, why don't you put your frustrations into this duel so you can impress your boyfriend," Chanyeol said with a smirk.

"Heh, I sure will. What about you? When are you gonna get a boyfriend?" said Kai.

"I don't really care. I've dated Fire Nation guys before and I'm just done. They're all stupid, well not you of course but you aren't my type," said Chanyeol.

"Whatever, Princess," Kai said sarcastically rolling his eyes.

 

Kai and Chanyeol got into their battle stances. Their expressions turned serious. Neither of them planned to go easy on one another. Once they finished their breathing techniques to get the rhythm going, the both plunged towards eachother, shooting out fireblasts, dodging each other's blasts with flips. Chanyeol lunged himself forward with a fire boost that acted as a motor. Kai pressed his foot deep in the ground and blasted a powerful flame from his fist, causing Chanyeol to curve to try and avoid the flame. Kai threw more blasts with several roundhouse and scissor kicks, which Chanyeol barely dodged. Wiping his mouth as he finally fell off his feet, he rushed up with a powerful high kick, letting out a massive fire attack as he hit the ground. Kai spun around on his hands breakdance style, lashing out fire blasts from his fast feet.

The fight went on for a long time, for they were both evenly matched. Kyungsoo was seriously into it and Lay rolled his eyes every chance he got.

"Kai's doing great isn't he?" Kyungsoo said in admiration.

"He's being a showoff. I've seen better," Lay said looking at his fingernails.

"Chanyeol's really good too! I'd say they're both masters!"

"I hope they burn each other. Now that would be interesting," Lay mumbled to himself.

"What'd you say?" asked Kyungsoo.

"Nothing."

Once the two firebenders were finished, they both bowed to each other respectfully. Kai was the victor in the battle with a final legsweep.

"I let you win to make you look good," Chanyeol said as he winked. Kyungsoo hopped down from the bleachers and rushed over to them.

"That was awesome! Kai you were amazing!! And Chanyeol you were too!!" he exclaimed. Kai wiped sweat from his forehead and wrapped his arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder.

"Heh, that was nothin'. I told ya I'd impress you," he said out of breath.

"Would you remove you arm from his shoulder? I'm sure he doesn't wanna smell your musty pits," Lay said walking over with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face. Just then, two boys entered the arena. They didn't look like they were from the Fire Nation. One of them wore a robe clearly from an Air Temple, the other wore regular street clothes. 

"I don't feel comfortable being here, Baekhyun," said the one wearing the robe.

"This is exactly why I'm taking you out. You're always so locked up in that temple. You need to get out more and live a little, Sehun. That's the thing with you airbenders, always so damn isolated."

"Hey, you're an airbender too ya know!" pouted Sehun. Kyungsoo's eyes lit up at the boy in the robe called Sehun. By the clothing, the knew the boy was an airbender.

"Guys! He's an airbender!" Kyungsoo said with excitement. He then threw Kai's arm off of him and rushed over to the boys.

"Kyungsoo! What about how awesome the duel was??" Kai called, losing all of Kyungsoo's attention.

"Hehe look who's rejected now!" Lay said smirking.

Baekhyun looked annoyed at the sudden uprush coming towards him while Sehun looked a little timid. "Hi, you're an airbender, right?" said Kyungsoo.

"Y-yeah, we both are actually," said Sehun. Kyungsoo's eyes widened.

"Really?? That's cool. I was telling my friends the other day about how I've never met real airbenders. My name is Do Kyungsoo! I'm the avatar," he said ectending his hand for a handshake. Now Sehun's eyes widened this time.

"The avatar? Wow!! This is an honor. My name is Oh Sehun. I live at the Eastern Air Temple and on my way to becoming a monk. My great grandfather was a mentor to the previous Avatar and even taught her airbending. It's a pleasure to meet you, Avatar Kyungsoo," Sehun said bowing his lowest.

Kyungsoo gasped. "Your great grandfather was Tenzin!?!! Which means your great great grandfather is Avatar Aang!?!?! No no no it's a pleasure to meet you!!!" Kyungsoo said bowing even lower. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and looked over at the tall brunette boy who was firebending. The tall male immediately caught his attention.

"This is Baekhyun, he lives at the temple but unfortuantely doesn't share my love for the traditional aspects of airbending," Sehun said pointing to his distracted friend.

"Who's that?" Baekhyun said nodding his head over at Chanyeol. Sehun saw the interest in Baekhyun's eyes as his expression changed.

"Oh that's, Chanyeol. He's a friend of my friend's," replied Kyungsoo. Getting annoyed with the fact that Kyungsoo had been smiling and talking too much to the airbender, Kai hurried over to them, wrapping his arm around Kyungsoo once more as if he were claiming him. Kai scowled at Sehun looking him up and down.

"Who dat?" he said with an attitude and the stankest face he could give.

"Kai he's an airbender and lives at the Eastern Air Temple! He's Tenzin's great grandson!!" Just then, everyone else joined them. "Sehun, these are my friends, Kai and Lay," said Kyungsoo. Lay smiled pleasantly and bowed. Baekhyun's eyes were still on Chanyeol, he hadn't realized he was smiling.

"Baekhyun?" Sehun called softly.

"What?" Baekhyun said annoyed that Sehun broke his focus. "Oh yeah yeah nice to meet you," he replied not even the least bit curious in Kyungsoo as his eyes remained on Chanyeol.

"Damn he's hot," he said out loud. Sehun frowned and slightly lowered his head.

"How long are you guys staying here?" asked Kyungsoo.

"Well if he lives here, then for a long time," Baekhyun replied still looking at Chanyeol.

"But Baekhyun..we need to get back by tomorrow," Sehun softly whined, obvious hurt in his voice.

"Quit whining. You can go back if you want but I'm staying here," he replied, then began walking towards Chanyeol.

Sehun lowered his head. "Well, I guess I'll be staying a while..." he said quietly. Just then, an idea popped in Kyungsoo's head.

"Hey Sehun, would you be interested in being my airbending teacher?" asked Kyungsoo.

"Hell no," said Kai.

"He wasn't asking you," said Lay.

"Mind your damn business water tribe!" Sehun looked surprised at Kyungsoo's sudden request.

"M-me? A teacher? I-I don't know, I've never taught anyone before.." Sehun replied.

"It's not everyday an airbender shows up in front of me, and not just any airbender---Avatar Aang's great great grandson. It's like fate," said Kyungsoo. "Just think about it okay? I still have to start learning firebending first and then air would be next in the avatar cycle."

"Hahaha you're last!" Kai teased Lay.

"Real mature, douchebag," Lay responded.

"Okay, I'll think about it. It really was a pleasure meeting you. I'll see you around.." Sehun said with a faint smile but which quickly faded as he turned away and slowly walked towards the exit. Kyungsoo noticed and frowned.

"That guy's weird. But not as weird as his friend," Kai said motioning towards Baekhyun who was flirting with Chanyeol.

"He's not weird. He's in love," said Lay.

"In love?" Kyungsoo said looking at Lay. Lay nodded and stared Kyungsoo in the eye.

"It's obvious he cares a lot about that boy. He wants to be around him even if it means putting his training on hold. Even though that Baekhyun kid seems like a douche, he wants to stay by his side," he said.

"I'm gonna go talk to him!" Kyungsoo said rushing out to follow Sehun.

"You bastard," Kai said to Lay.

"What?"

"You were thinking of yourself the whole time, don't try to deny it,"

"I'm not denying it. Yes, I'm in love with Kyungsoo and I want to stay by his side."

"Well I was in love with him way before you came along. I was ALWAYS there! And where were you? Playing with polar dogs and splashing in the water in the South Pole! I should be the one Kyungsoo should be with,"

"Do you really think Kyungsoo could be in a relationship with you for over five minutes? You lash out at everything! Jealous because he was talking to Sehun. He's the avatar, he needs to communicate with people !"

"Tch! I don't need this," Kai said angrily blowing fire from his mouth and stomped towards Chanyeol. Lay rolled his eyes and decided to follow Kyungsoo. Although he couldn't erase Kai's words from his mind. I was always there, where were you?? Lay spent time with Kyungsoo when they were younger but when his tribe moved south, he had to go with him and didn't see Kyungsoo for years. He would visit from time to time but it was never enough. He wouldn never admit it, but he was envious that Kai got to spend those years with him that Lay could not. It bothered him, eating away at him. How he wanted to be connected with Kyungsoo once more. He wanted to be the only one that Kyungsoo could talk to, the only one he could cuddle with, the only one who could call him 'baby', the only one to kiss him.