Changes of His Heart

Changes of His Heart

Chapter 14

 

The room was dark & the music was loud. Everyone was dancing to the beat but Yunho. He was sitting at the bar, drinking more than he use to. Yuri is still at the hospital. Really, it was the same night that Yuri had gotten sick & Yunho is at the club drinking. He couldn’t take all the crying. He wasn’t the one crying but his mom, the Shims’s & Hwang’s were. Yunho hasn’t even step into the room to see Yuri but drove away as fast as he could. Yes, it is his entire fault. After yelling at Yuri, he couldn’t make himself see her. All he deserves right now is to go to hell. He hated himself.

 

It was five in the evening & Yunho was still sitting in the same place. He was totally drunk after more than eight bottle of beers. Yunho rose the bottle of beer to his mouth but someone grab onto it & pulled it out of his hands.

 

“What do you think you are doing?” Asked a rough voice.

 

“Oh, it’s you Keunsuk.” Yunho said drunkenly, without looking up. Even though Yunho is drunk, he can still recognize Keunsuk’s voice.

 

Keunsuk grab a seat from nearby & sat down with a force, “Yuri is sick & you are here drinking like a crazy man. Not only is she just sick but she’s at the hospital & haven’t woken up yet. You are the worse husband anyone can wish for. You don’t deserve Yuri. Do you even know how sick she is?” Yunho didn’t answer. Keunsuk pounded his fist down on the table when Yunho didn’t answer.


“Damn you, Yunho!” Keunsuk was as furious as he was but Yuri is his wife & all he is doing right now is drinking.

 

Yunho rose the bottle of beer to his mouth & again, Keunsuk roughly grab it away from him. Now he has had it. Yunho isn’t going to destroy Yuri’s life again. Keunsuk grab Yunho by the back of his blue short sleeve mesh polo shirt & walk out of the bar, dragging him along. Yunho didn’t retreat but let Keunsuk do whatever he wanted right then. Keunsuk drove Yunho home & the servants helped him carry Yunho up to his room.

 

It was three in the morning & Yuri still hasn’t woken up yet. Mr. Kwon was getting impatient with the doctors. He has been looking after Yuri all night long & still no respond from her. He sure is going to kill Yunho when he gets here. Yunho was supposed to be watching over his wife but he isn’t.

 

The doctor walked in & suddenly, Mr. Kwon grab him by his collar.


“Why hasn’t my daughter woken up yet? & you better tell me the damn truth right now!”


“Mr...Mr. Kwon, please calm down? She’s just tired. Maybe in a few more hours she will wake up.” Reply the scare doctor.

 

“You have said that the last time & again, you are saying it. If my daughter doesn’t wake up in five hours I’m going to sue you.”

 

Mr & Mrs. Jung walked in.

 

“Calm down, Hyunwoo. Dr. Wang is the best doctor here in Seoul. Yuri will wake up in no time. I promise you.” Said Mr. Jung.

 

Mr. Kwon sat back down on the same seat he had been sitting on for the past hour. His beautiful daughter can’t just go like his wife did. He won’t let that happen to Yuri.

 

It was eight in the morning, the next day that Yuri woke up. The sun hit her eyes when she opened it. Taking a second or two to regain back her colors, she found that she wasn’t in her bedroom. The room was all white & bright lights was coming in through the window on her left side. She remembered what happened last night when Yunho came home; every single word he said. Yuri tried to sit up but it was useless. Her head still aches. A painful dizziness ran through her head like a hammer. The door opened as Sunny & Keunsuk came in, “Sunny?”


“Yuri! Oh, my god! Thank god you woke up! We were so worry about you! What happened to you?!” Cried Sunny. She ran towards Yuri & hug her like there was no tomorrow.

 

“Sunny?” Yuri’s head was blank, ‘Weren’t Keunsuk Oppa & Sunny on their honeymoon?’ “What...What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be on your honeymoon?”


“Don’t worry about that now. All you have to worry about is yourself.” Said Sunny.


“Who told you?”

Sunny hesitated, “My mom. Before I went on my honeymoon, I asked my mom to call me if anything happens. Even to you. So here I am, worried sick about you. Now, tell me, what happened?”


“But Sunny. You shouldn’t have come. I ruined your honeymoon. Not only yours but Keunsuk Oppa.”


“No, you didn’t. Oppa didn’t mind coming home at all.”


“That’s right. Home sweet home. Home sweet home, Seoul. Home swe…”

 

“Oppa.” Sunny whisper. Keunsuk stop his singing & pretended to look out of the window.

 

Sunny rolled her eyes & turned her attention back to Yuri who was smiling.


“Now, tell me what happened?”

 

After telling her, Sunny started crying.


“Sunny, stop crying. It’s not that sad.” Said Yuri.


“Yes, it is. It’s not only sad but romantic. Yunho Oppa was jealous.” Sunny cried, & laughed at the same time, making herself look crazy. Keunsuk, on the other hand, laugh to himself. She could be such a baby sometimes, “Where’s my father & in-laws?” Yuri asked. She felt that her father had been by her side when she was still sleeping.

 

“Your father has been here all night but Oppa sent him home. Your in-laws were here too, but they went home.” Said Sunny. She notices that Yuri didn’t ask about Yunho but Sunny didn’t want to bring him up until Yuri mention him herself. Keunsuk had told her that he sent Yunho home safely & surely, he was to drunk. When Keunsuk told her, she had wanted to beat the crap out of Yunho when he shows up! Sunny couldn’t take it if he hurtled her best friend.


“Thanks for showing up for me Sun & you too, Oppa. Tell your parents I say thank you.” Said Yuri.

 

“You got it.” Said Keunsuk, when the door opened & Dr. Wang & a nurse walk in.


“Hello, Yuri. I’m Dr. Wang. Now, if you would just lie down a bit I can inject this little meany into you. There you go. My, you are beautiful. No wonder Yunho married you.”

 

Yuri went pale at the mention of her husband’s name. She had quite forgotten about him for a minute.

 

The doctor saw the paleness of her face & quickly stated, “I have known your husband’s family for years. We are very good friends. In fact, I been to your wedding too, but I didn’t get to say my blessings.”

 

That seems to bring a good color back to her face. He didn’t just get his doctor degree for nothing.

 

“Your overall health is quite not what I want it to be. You need to eat more & not eat less but no chocolate. I will see to it that Yunho takes good care of you. Good day, Yuri.”


“Good day to you too, Dr. Wang. Thank you.” Said Yuri, as Dr. Wang made his way towards the door.

 

Yunho woke up from a minor headache. He stood up slowly & look around his room, trying to remember what happened last night until something click in his head. Yuri was at the hospital. He was about to get up & get dress but stop himself. No, he couldn’t go see her. Nothing will make him. He made her sick but still, he couldn’t force himself to go see her. His mind told him to go but his cold heart made him stay. She wouldn’t want to see him. She has her friends & families to comfort her. He’s right. Yuri had said that she hated him & never did want to see his face. Maybe he should go to work.

 

Yunho was in his office, trying to concentrate on his work. It was an hour later did he forget about everything but then, there came a knock at the door.

 

Furious for getting disturbed, Yunho calm himself down. He ran a tired hand through his short dark brown hair, “Come in.”

 

Jessica happily walk in & handed some papers to him, “Here’s the work you told me to finish yesterday.” “Thank you.” He mumble.


“Your welcome.” Said Jessica. She was about to walk over to Yunho when the door flew open, revealing an angry Keunsuk. He was burning mad from running up the stairs since he couldn’t get an elevator to opened quickly. He has been to Yunho’s house but figure out he wasn’t there. Then Keunsuk drove to his work place & saw Yunho working instead of being at the hospital.

 

“Keunsuk.”


“What the hell are you doing here?! Is your job more important than your wife? God damn you, Yunho! Yuri was shot.”

 

At the word shot, Yunho was already out of the door.

 

‘No. It couldn’t be Yuri. She can’t be shot. How? When?’ Questions popped into his head. If Yuri dies, it will all be his fault & if it’s his fault he will never know how to live. His life can’t go on when he is carrying a quilt in his heart. No, she can’t die.

 

He ran into the hospital but stop when he saw everyone there. The color of his face was all drain out. He was shaking as if the devil was near. The hospital made it worse by its coldness.


“Mom, how...how is Yuri?”

 

Everyone glance at him but didn’t take a step towards him. Keunsuk had arrive at the hospital & put a hand on Yunho’s shoulder.


“What happened?” Yunho asked quietly, scare to break the blueness.


“One of the nurses took Yuri out for a stroll when gun shots were heard. It was a sniper. Three were shot including Yuri but they all have recovered except for her.”

 

Coldness ran through him like a knife. Why did he make such a stupid decision to go to work when he could have been there to protect Yuri?! How could he have been so cold?


“Did they catch him?” Yunho asked. He felt like he was going to break down & cry but he couldn’t. His damn body wouldn’t move!


“They kill him.” Reply Keunsuk.


“Good. If they didn’t, I would have kill him myself.”

 

“Come on, go sit down.”

 

Yunho shook Keunsuk’s hand away & walked towards his mom. She was crying. Her face was all red but Yunho couldn’t stop & comfort his mother yet. It was Mr. Kwon who he has to stop at.

 

Yuri’s dad was standing quietly by himself at a far corner. Yunho walked towards him & drop down on his knees. Everyone turn to look at what Yunho was doing & cried even more. Yunho was begging for Mr. Kwon’s forgiveness, yet he just stood there, not looking at anything. His eyes & face were burning hot but yet, it was expressionless. Then a single tear fell down from Mr. Kwon’s eyes. He was crying for Yuri. After all these years since Aecha had past away, it finally dawn on him. He loved Yuri; his only daughter. No one can take her away from him. He really does love her & he’s not going to forgive Yunho for hurting his daughter. Never. Five minutes have past since Yunho has been on his knee. It hurts terribly but still, he isn’t going to move from the position that he is in right now until Mr. Kwon forgives him.

 

Sunny couldn’t take it anymore. She has to stop it since no one is going to do it.

 

“Oppa. Please, please stop Yunho? Tell him to get up. I...I can’t take it anymore. Tell Yunho that Yuri is going to get well. Please?” Sunny cried, but Keunsuk shook his head & hug her tightly. He was also scared to lose Sunny.

 

She buried her face in Keunsuk’s chest & cry.

 

Yunho was still on his knees. No tears were on his face but in his heart, there were thousands that he couldn’t cry out.

 

Mrs. Jung finally stood up & walked over to Yunho. She couldn’t let this happen to her son. She place her hand on his shoulder & fell onto her knees. If no one could stop her son from getting up she could.


“Yunho.” He didn’t look up but Mrs. Jung continue, “If you won’t get up then I will kneel here with you all day.”

 

Yunho quickly look at his mom & hug her.


“Mom. No, you can’t do this to yourself. Get up.” Yunho pleaded.


“No. Not until you do.”

 

Yunho couldn’t let his mom do this. It was his life. His mom didn’t deserve this. He nodded & help his mom up to a seat & sat down next to her. Not a single tear has fallen from his eyes.

 

Hours later, the doctor finally came out.


“How is she, Dr. Wang?”


“She’s okay but one of her kidney was the place where the bullet hit. If the other one had gotten shot too, she might not have made it.”


“Can we go see her now?”


“No. No visitors are allow until we see that she is clearly safe. Don’t worry too much over her. Go home & take a long rest but if you do, use the back entrance out to escape the reporters. They know that one of the Jung was shot & that’s not nice. They will want to know every detail. Good night & drive home safely.” Dr. Wang gave them the number of her room where she would be at right now & then walk away.

 

After hearing the doctor’s news, relief flew over them. Thank god Yuri was alright.

 

“Thank you all for coming but since we now know that Yuri is safe, some of you can go home.” Said Mr. Jung, “Yes, he’s right. Everyone needs to rest.” Added Keunsuk.

 

The decision was made. Everyone will go home expect for Keunsuk & Sunny. The older bodies needed more rest than the younger ones but before everyone departed, Yunho spoke up for the first time since he had gotten up from his knees.


“No. Keunsuk, you & Sunny should go home & take a rest. The plane ride for both of you isn’t good & you two have been here since yesterday. Go home & take a rest. I will look after Yuri.”

 

Sunny was about to refuses but Keunsuk shook his head & agreed with Yunho. He senses that Yunho needed some time alone.

 

Everyone left until Yunho walked up to the given number of Yuri’s room. He peered inside through the window & look at Yuri. Machines surrounded her like protectors. She look so peaceful, yet he was afraid that she wasn’t breathing. Yunho wanted to tell Yuri that he was so sorry. All he wanted to do is break the window & get on his knees to tell her how much he hated himself for hurting her. On their wedding day, he had said to himself that if he hurtled her he was sorry but right now, he want to say it out loud to her, not just in his mind.

 

To stop himself from breaking the window, Yunho force himself to sit down on one of the chairs. All night, he didn’t fall asleep. The nurses that came by to check up on Yuri would look sadly at Yunho & walk away. Every now & then, Yunho would stand up & walk to the window to see if Yuri was alright. He couldn’t keep his mind in control until Dr. Wang finally came by to check on Yuri.


“Yunho! Have you been here all night?!” Dr. Wang exclaimed.


“Yeah.” Yunho looked at his nixon chronograph watch for the first time. It was eight in the morning. God, was he tired or what?


“Stay here & I will go check on Yuri.” He walked into room & exam for thirteen minutes before coming back out, “It seems like her conditions are alright. Yuri won’t wake up until some hours later. Visitors are allowed to go in to see her. You can go in now. I will try to keep the reporters from coming in. I will come & check on her later. Have a good day.”

 

Yunho waited until Dr. Wang was out of sight before walking into the room.

 

He open the door quietly, scare to wake Yuri up. Closing the door behind him, he walk towards the bed. It was chilly & dark. Yunho pulled out a chair from the corner & sat down next to Yuri. All he did during that time was look at her. Yuri’s face was so pale. He couldn’t resist it but move a stain of hair from her face.

 

The door suddenly opened as Keunsuk & Sunny came in, holding some flowers.


“Hey, Yunho Oppa. How is she doing?” Sunny whispered.


“Dr. Wang said she’s doing alright.”


“You can go home now & take a long rest. Sunny & I can look after Yuri.” Said Keunsuk.


“No, I’m alright.”


“Are you sure?”


“Yeah.”

 

A few hours later, the others arrive. They were frustrated with the reporters & walked in angrily.

 

“Yunho, go home & take a rest & if you say no, I will drag you out of here myself! Do you hear me?!” Demanded Mrs. Jung.

 

She was right. Yunho needed his sleep. There were bags under his eyes. His hair was all mess up & his clothes were all wrinkle.

 

“Keunsuk, when is Yuri going to wake up?” Asked Sunny.


“Soon I guess. That’s what Dr. Wang said.”


“Oh.”

 

“Sunny, I’m hungry! Can you go get me something to eat?!” Whine Keunsuk.


“You just ate a while ago, Oppa. Five bowls of noodles.”


“I didn’t, it was eight.”


“Oh, gosh.” They were arguing again. Those nothing kind of argument.

 

“Oppa, look. Yuri’s moving.”

 

They both stop arguing & turn to looked at Yuri. Her left hand was trying to move to her forehead which scared Keunsuk.

 

“Mon...Monster. Run.”


“Oh Oppa, shut up! You might scare Yuri.”

 

Sunny walk over to Yuri & comforted her.

 

“Yuri, are you okay? Don’t move yet. You might hurt yourself. Oppa, go call the doctor.”

 

Keunsuk ran out like a little kid.

 

Finally, when Yuri succeeded in opening her eyes, she turned her head & saw Sunny.


“Sun, is that you? Ow, my stomach. It...It hurts.” Moan Yuri.

 

Sunny smooth out Yuri’s hair, “Yuri, don’t move. Keunsuk Oppa is getting the doctor. You are going to be alright.”

 

Keunsuk came running in with Dr. Wang & some nurses. They both walk out, leaving the doctor & nurses alone.


“Hello Yuri.” Said Mrs. Jung, peering in.


“Hello mom. Come in.” Said Yuri.

 

It was three days later, & Yuri was getting better. She has been practicing walking in one of the room. No strolling was made outside since the day of the shooting. It was all over the news & magazines, especially Yuri since the Jung’s were the most important people in Seoul. Anonymous people sent flowers & roses.

 

Yuri was wondering why Yunho hasn’t visit her yet. Even though they have had a little argument, he could have come & see her if she was alright.


“Here Yuri. I brought some kalbi tang soup from home. It’s good for your health. Here, I will feed you.” Said Mrs. Jung.


“Thank you mom. I bet it will be delicious.”

 

After Mrs. Jung left, Yuri was left alone again. She has been move to another room & there were fewer machines. Yuri was so glad of that. She hated machines. They scared the heck out of her when she have had compete images of everything in her old room. This room was much brighter & smells so nice. The flowers & roses gave the scent of heaven & she loved it. She felt so grateful to Keunsuk & Sunny. Not only to them but the ones that visited her. Her father visited her from time to time. He has changed a little bit since she has gotten sick. Her in-laws had showed how much they have loved her & the Lee’s & Jang’s cared enough to visit her.

 

A knock came at the door. Yuri was surprised since everyone had visited her this morning. It will be too soon to come back & visit her again.


“Come in.” Said Yuri.

 

The door opened as Siwon walk in. He was smiling & carrying a bouquet of flowers with him.


“Siwon Oppa.”


“Hi, Yuri. You must be lonely. I supposed you want some company?”

 

She smiled, “Yes, I do. Thank you.” She said, taking the flowers.

 

“Sorry I couldn’t visit you earlier. I was busy.”


“It doesn’t matter. At least you came.”


“You must be very bored in this room.”


“Sometimes, but I get companies.”

 

“I’m glad because I can’t survive loneliness.”


“Then you must…”


The door opened as Yunho walk in, holding a bouquet of red roses in his hand.