Family matters *

Broken promises (Semi-hiatus) NEW CHAPTER

Matters (Noun) - an affair or situation under consideration; a topic. 
Synonyms - affair, situation, event, incident ect


Jongup was holding my hand throughout the whole ride, even when we arrived at my parents place he didn’t let my hand go. In the living room were my mother and Jongup parents, all of them had a very serious face and immediately stood up when they saw us. Jongup went to hug his parents and my mother and I just stared at each other. When I stood in front of her she tried to hug me but I walked past her to the chair across her seat. “Hello Uncle, Auntie. Mother why is dad at home and not in a hospital.”

My mother sat down on the sofa and pulled out a handkerchief, she wiped a few tears away and slowly looked at me. “Your father refused to be taken to the hospital, I insisted and even begged him to reconsider but he is a stubborn man. He won’t change his mind”. She started crying and my aunt sat by her side and held her hands. “It’s okay sis he’ll be fine. The doctor is taking great care of him”. While my mother was crying I felt something off about her I just can’t put my finger on it. When she finally calmed down I saw the doctor descending the stairs. The look on his face gave away that my father’s health condition wasn’t good.

“Doctor, how bad is my father?”

We were all standing and waiting for the doctor to speak, he looked at my mother first and his left eyebrow twitched a little. “I’m afraid it isn’t good. He is unable to move or talk but he is conscious, he can be transported to the hospital but that will worsen his condition, its best if he stays here. All the medical equipment he needs is already in his room. My assistant and I will do our best but all we can do is make him comfortable. I recommend you prepare for the worst”. Again, my mother started crying and my aunt hugged her and cried with her. Jongup put his hand on my shoulder and gave me a pitiful look. “You don’t have to hold it in, let your feelings go”.

“He isn’t dead yet.” My father wasn’t the kindest person to me but he was still my father, even after sending me away and treating me like dirt I still care for him. I was on the third step when my mother called my name and held my elbow.
“Sweaty I know this isn’t easy but please just let your father rest.” The look on my mother’s eyes didn’t combined with her facial expression, something about the way her eyes looked gave me a bad vibe. I yanked my arm away and took another step up the stairs. “I won’t bother him and I also won’t allow you, or anyone else, prevent me from seeing my father.” I leaned closer to her and whispered in her ear. “Don’t try to stop me either, unless you want to be embarrassed in front of your sister and her family”. My mother let out a gasp and walked back to the sofa. Before turning around, I noticed a subtle look she gave the doctor. When I reached my parents room I noticed the assistant leaning against the door looking completely worn out. “Excuse me, you look really tired, why don’t you go and rest. I’ll call for the doctor if anything happens.” The assistant didn’t protest and just walked away.

When I stepped inside the room I made sure to not make any noise. The room looked like a hospital room. My father was connecter to a heart monitor and had other machines that I didn’t recognized next to the bed. I was still standing by the door and let the scene in front of me sink in.

“Don’t just stand there looking like an idiot. Come sit next to me”. I don’t know if it was because he was ill but his voice didn’t sound as mean as it used to. I slowly walk to his left side and sat next to him.

“The doctor said you couldn’t talk”. He chucked for a second and reach his hand out to mine. “I don’t have much time Hwayoung, I wish I did. Come, lay down next to me, let me hold you for a while. Don’t move”. I did as I was told and started tearing up when my dad held me close. “You know, I never once held you, not even when, you were a baby. I regret that so much now, I should have held you close, I should have told, you how much I, wished you were my daughter.”

A gasp left my lips and so did a tear. I sat up and looked at him expecting him to say it wasn’t true. “What? Hwayoung and I are not your daughters?”

His eyes were watery but the what hurt me more was his broken smile. “No. I knew I wasn’t the father the second your sister was born, but I did a DNA test to be certain. I wanted, to confront your mother, but I was afraid of losing her so I kept quiet and let her believe, that she had deceived me. It was easy at first but after a year you, started resembling your real father, and I hated you for that, for ruining my illusion. I shouldn’t have blamed you, after all you had no say in who would be your parents”.

My heart felt like it was being ripped out of my chest. “Why are you telling me now? Who is my real father then?” Slowly he raised his hand and wiped the tears off my face.
“When I met your mother, I didn’t think much of her, but she got close to me and made me fall in love with her. My parents didn’t approve of our relationship and tried to get me to leave her. When I decided to listen to their advice, they had an accident and died at the scene. Your mother, refuse to leave my side, she said she didn’t want me to deal with the pain alone. Five months later we got married, and by the end of the year she was pregnant. *cough cough* In her second trimester I found out that she was seeing another man, that she had been seeing him the whole time she was me. But still I didn’t say a word and waited for her to go to labor. When the DNA results came back I was heartbroken, I gave your mother all of my heart and she played me, and again I didn’t leave her. I was deeply in love with her that I didn’t care if she cheated on me as long as she would come home. I didn’t know who the other man was until your third birthday and let me tell you, he is a dangerous man. You know where the safe is in my office, that’s where I kept every little detail of your mother’s life. There’s also information about skeleton and why he’s after you”.

When dad started having a coughing fit I reached for the glass of water and helped his drink a bit. When he stopped coughing I held his hand and patted it gently. “Appa that’s enough, you don’t have to tell me the rest it can wait tomo- “

“I won’t have until tomorrow. The poison will kill me any moment now.”

“poison!? What poison? Who poisoned you?”

“Stay here. Your mother and that doctor have been poising me for nearly a whole year, small dosages but enough to create hard in due time. I don’t know how long I have, all I know, is that there is nothing that can save me now. Hwayoung, I want you to know that I loved you even if I didn’t’ show it. *cough cough cough* You are strong *cough* I knew you could survive *cough* the twisted game skeleton is playing. *cough cough* The combination for the safe is 2137 *cough* the exact time you were born. Protect yourself please”.

We both were crying, I could tell he was having a hard time breathing. “Can I, please, get a hug from, my daughter?” I nodded and hugged him. My tears were soaking his t-shirt but he didn’t seem to mind. “Hwayoung, I love you, and I am very proud of you. Tell your, sister I, didn’t meant to leave, either one, of you.” I felt him kiss my head, and then the heart monitor line when flat. I shot up and looked at my dad. I shock him a little while calling him. “Appa? Appa?!? NO! No please don’t go.” I ran to the door and yelled for the doctor. I know it’s useless, he won’t bring my dad back, after all he helped my mom in killing him. The assistant rushed in and the doctor ran in behind him. I watched as they just looked at him and turned off the heart monitor. “NO! You have to save him! You can’t let him die! You can’t”.
Jongup turned me around and hugged me. I didn’t even notice the rest of the family was here. I held on to Jongup and screamed in agony. My dad finally gave me a hug, he finally told me that he did loved me, and now he’s gone. I felt someone else hug me from behind, it was my mom. Disgust and anger filled my body, I let Jongup go and pushed that woman off me with all the strength I had in me. She fell hard on the floor and my aunt ran to her side. “Hwayoung I know your hurting but she is your mother and she’s just as hurt as you are!”
I glared at the woman who gave birth to me and clenched my fist. “I don’t have a mother”.  She opened but she didn’t say a single word. I looked at the doctor before leaving the room.

When I got the study room I made sure to lock the door and close the binds to the window. The safe opened without a problem, inside were a lot of files and a small wooden box with the initials HY and 2137 next to the initials. I took all the files out first then grabbed the wooden box. Upon a closer look at the box I realize it wasn’t wooden at all. There was a fingerprint scanner at the side of the box. Appa didn’t mention the box, maybe he didn’t have time to, so I took a chance and put my index finger on the scanner. The box made a beeping sound before the lid opened, I don’t know what I expected to find inside but the only thing in it were two USB drives. I put the box aside and started looking through the files.

Most of the files were things related to the company, there was two copies of my dad’s will and finally I found the files related to my mother and skeleton. There were four big folders about my mother’s life and only one page (not even a full page) related to skeleton. After carefully reading every page, and ignoring the knocking on the door, I sat there unable to move. Again, I was crying but my tears were of anger, and disgust. I have always believed my father was worst then my mother could ever be, but my mother is a new definition of horrible.

Thinking that my dad might have more files on his computer I decide to look through his files there. There aren’t any files related to my mom, I look through all his files including the hidden files. But I’m glad I decided to look through his computer. In one of his hidden files I found many family pictures. His parents looked so happy in every picture, and so did his brother. Dad never mentioned having any siblings nor did he ever showed a picture with his brother in it, so I naturally assumed he was an only child. I wonder what happened to his brother.

“Noona, its Sehun. Open up.” The clock on the computer said it was past four. I turned off the computer and made sure to put the flash drives in one of my pockets.

“Sehun bring my backpack”.

I grabbed the folders and tuck them underneath my arms. When I heard Sehun knocking I got up and quickly unlocked the door. I grabbed my backpack from him and put the folders inside, Sehun was blocking the entrance so no one could see what I was doing. “We have to stop by the grocery store on the way home, I told Kyungsoo I would buy what he needed for the kitchen.”

“Kai already went with him. Let’s just go home.”

My family were all sitting down in the living room comforting my mother. BAP was next to Jongup. I only spare Yongguk one look before walking out with Sehun. We both heard my mother calling out to me but I only walked faster.
Sehun didn’t try to make a conversation while in the car, but as soon as we arrived at my house the quiet was over. Kyungsoo ran to me to hug me and soon the others did the same.

“Where’s Kris and Luhan? I found something and I need to tell you all”

I placed the folders on the coffee table and spread them out. Suho look through a few pages before putting them down. “Uh. Kris wen out he didn’t say where but he did say he wouldn’t take long. Luhan said he was going to see someone. There both on their way here. You want to fill us in about all these papers.”

“Well the main point is that, well skeleton is after me because he wants to hurt my mother. They were working together for some time. My mother betrayed him in some way and now he wants revenge. –“

Before I could say anything else the door slammed shut and a scared Luhan ran inside. “Something bad happened between Kris and his dad and he is mad and I can’t calm him down and all I could understand him say is that he wants to kill some and that he was betrayed by his own family and how he can’t trust anyone and- and I need to breath.” Luhan was catching his breath when Kris walked in. he looked calm, unlike Luhan, but it was a scary calm. (the calm before the storm).

“EXO grab your belonging now! We’re leaving. MOVE IT!!!”. No one asked any questions. They all ran up the stair, everyone but Suho.

“Kris, what’s going on?” Suho looked extremely worried but all Kris did was look at me with so much rage. “KRIS! What happened?”

“I should have killed you the minute you were caught inside our Wearhouse.” Kris took big steps towards me until we were inches apart.

“Kris? Why are you saying that? What did I do wrong?”

“You were born” By now everyone in EXO were in the living room. It looked like Lay had Suho’s things and Tao has Kris’s. “Listen up everyone. Starting today there will be no contact with Hwayong. We will no longer be helping her out in any way. Now let’s go”.
I signaled Suho to grab the folders on the coffee table and waited until he out them away to talk back to Kris.

“You said you’ll be my brother, that you wouldn’t leave me. So why are you cursing my existence and abandoning me. YOU SAID YOU WOULD ALWAYS BE THERE FOR ME!! WHY ARE LEAVING? Why?”

“Had I known who your mother was, I would have never said such a stupid thing”. Kris took a folded paper out of him pocket and threw it to the floor. He slammed the door loudly on his way out and I swear I could hear him cursing my name. I picked the paper from the floor and let the image sink in. The paper was an old and wrinkled picture. A picture of my mother on a hospital bed holding a new born baby in her arms. On the back of the picture was a date and a small sentence. Wu Yi Fan’s birth.

“Kris is my biological brother?”