Tone

Dance Sarang

"Like we start every training day, wacky dance to get loose time!" Mark said.

What song would it be this time? More Psy? Or perhaps, a girl group song? Who knows, Mark could even surprise me.

Mark played the song. What the? This song? Why this song? I mean, the beat was catchy, but is there even a way to dance this?

I looked at Mark to see how he would dance to this song. Wrong choice Rhyth. I bursted out laughing. Wow. So that's how you dance to that song?

Mark was taking pics of himself with his phone. He was also doing various poses. He looked at me.

"Come on Rhyth! Let's do it!" he said. Haha. Why not?

I pulled out my phone a took various pics of me. I tried to do the most weirdest poses I could think of. 

Whenever the cool beat would come, Mark and I would pause taking pics of ourselves and dance along to it. 

I like having Mark as a trainer. He knows how to make training fun. Worthwhile. Something that you would never forget. I kinda feel bad for the other trainees. I wonder how the other trainers were like. I hope they were having as much fun as I am.

The song ended. We bursted out in laughter. We fell on our backs and laughed some more. Wait for it. Wait for it.

Jay came into the studio. He gave us his usual annoyed and weird look. 

"You know what? I'm not gonna even bother coming here anymore. You both are such weirdos." Jay said while shaking his head. He left, feeling as weirded out as ever.

Mark and I finally calmed ourselves down. It took a couple gulps of water to do so. 

"So have you thought about what song we should do together for the competition?" Mark asked.

"I think I wanna do a new song. I don't wanna use a choreography I've learned in the past. I wanna do a new one and I want you to help me with it." I said.

"Ok, do you have a song in mind?" he asked.

"Well, it should be hip hop of course," I said. Hip hop was key. It was my strongest. I feel like I can express more of myself through hip hop.

"Bingo," Mark said. "How about a song with a rap part. During the rap, you and I could use that time to do freestyle moves. Like that idea?"

I considered it for a moment. You know, that's actually a really good idea. Alright, part of me and Mark's dance is complete. Sorta...

"Yeah I like that idea," I responded. "Let's use that."

"Cool," he replied. "Any idea what we're gonna do for the choreography. Should we rely on beat, lyrics, or tone?"

That was our strategies when it came to making choreography. That's another similarity Mark and I both have. Our strategies for coming up with choreography were the same.

If we rely on beat, we listen to the beat of the song for a while. After getting used to the beat, we would start to think of some dance moves that would go perfectly with it. As we get going, we start to get more comfortable and make up choreography faster. 

If we rely on lyrics, it's a little bit more difficult. We have to really pay attention to the lyrics. Is the lyrics trying to give us a message? Is it trying to tell a story? Is there a whole meaning to the lyrics? That's the kind of questions we should be asking ourselves as we listen to the lyrics.

For example, let's say the lyrics are about having fun and being free. The choreography would be fun. Like something teenagers would be doing if they were at a party. I mean, that's usually where people would have fun and be free after all.

If we rely on tone, then we have to listen carefully to the beat and the lyrics of the song.

For example, let's say the song is about a break up and the beat is slow. Then the choreography would be slow and the movements should resemble sadness. It should match the full on tone of the the song. Lyrics and beats of the song should be analyzed carefully.

I know what I wanted to do. What I wanted our choreography to rely on.

"How about tone?" I asked Mark. That's what I wanted our choreography to rely on. I just wanted to see if Mark was cool with it.

"Perfect."

~ Here's the song for the random dance of the day:

***#SELFIE by, The Chain Smokers

~ Haha, get it? That's why Mark and Rhyth were taking pics of themselves. Lol I'm lame... :P