A lonely birthday

Snow White and the Five Genies

You woke up without a sight of Yoonho anymore. The others were gone too for school, as you just remembered that Erin must be left in the house with you.

You went in the lounge and called her but no answer. "Did they... allow her to go with them?" You asked in surprise and checked the rooms but there were really no sign of her.

"Crap, she's too innocent. She's gonna kill herself!" You anxiously yelled and immediately changed your clothes.

You remembered the bully 'Queenkas' of the school and how the students treated you.

You ran as fast as you can and didn't bother to stop till you reached the school. "Phew, why must I even worry about her? It's their fault anyway." You whispered while panting.

You entered the school as two girl immediately approached you, "If I were you, you wouldn't dare to walk alone. Specifically on the 'Queenkas'' hallway."

You shrugged and just ignored them though you felt some strands of your hair rising up 'cause of fear. 

"People here are really insane... uneducated humans... tss, they shouldn't have called it a school then." You mumbled and suddenly saw Erin loitering in the hallway.

"Crap." You ran to her and tapped her shoulder.

"Yah, what are you doing here?"

"Ooh, Baegseol ah~!" She gleefully said and cuddled you.

"Quit it! Just answer me!" You annoyingly yelled and removed her arms on you.

"Well, I followed them... But I'm a little lost so could you lead me the way?" She grinned.

"Aish, really! You're gonna put me into trouble!" You grabbed her wrist and turned back to get away from there when the 'Queenkas' suddenly blocked your way.

"Omigosh, we're dead." You told yourself and glanced down, hoping that they wouldn't recognize you.

"Look who's here, two annoying intruders."

They circled around you as you almost melted by their wolf stares.

The leader forcibly lifted your head up. "So you still have the guts to go here huh? And you even brought a foreigner company huh." She chuckled.

"You know her, unnie? Then you must know Jonghyun oppa, Key oppa, Onew oppa, Minho oppa, and Taemin oppa... right?" She asked innocently.

"She's digging her own grave!" You dreadfully told yourself.

"Your... oppa?!" She yelled and abruptly grabbed Erin's hair.

"Yah~! don't you dare be friends with me huh?! I could easily lose my temper just by looking at you!"

You interrupted and took the strength you had to push her away from Erin.

"We don't intend to intrude and we're not planning to see them. So could you just... let us out, please?" You swallowed your pride but they just laughed at you.

"You sure have gotten braver huh? Having the guts to plead like that?!" She squealed and harshly slapped you that you even fell on the floor.

"Unnie! Why are you doing that?!" Erin cried, trying to help you but the strong woman pulled her hair.

"Would you stop calling me 'unnie'?! It's annoying!" She then kicked her stomach as the others mocked and stinged her more.

"Ottoke? It's all my fault." You were scared to see blood again so you blocked them and pulled Erin from the floor.

She was coughing and aching. "I'm begging you, please spare us!" You sobbed and knelt down with your head almost kissing the floor.

"So you don't even have your pride after all." The leader smirked and put her shoe on your head.

Erin's eyes widened in fear and wanted to pull you up from there but she was afraid of them. "Baegseol ah..." She pitifully whispered as tears flowed from her eyes.

"Please... spare us." You begged once more

"Hey unnie," One of the members approached, "It's almost break time. Let's go."

The leader rolled her eyes and immediately pulled your hair. "Yah, you're lucky at this moment huh. But the next time that you'll invade our territory, you're really dead."

She gave you a hard push and furiously walked away.

Erin pulled you up and fixed your hair. 

"Mianhae, Bageseol... This has happened because of me."

You glanced at her and felt relieved that her face wasn't bruised. "Are you alright? Do you feel any pain?" You asked as she shook her head.

"It's nothing compared to you."

You just smirked and stood up by your quivering legs.

"Let's go." You smiled as she held your arm to support you.

The two of you walked on till you saw Key and Jonghyun waved from afar. They hastily ran as the others followed.

"Yah, we heard rumors about you, Erin. They said you were loitering around the hallway and... did the 'Queenkas' caught you?" Key worriedly asked as he examined her body.

Erin couldn't stop her tears from falling that she didn't bother to speak anymore and just embraced Key.

"Aish, what are you doing here in the first place?" Minho asked then you, "And you, didn't you already know how harsh they are?!"

"It's okay. We were saved by the bell so, nothing really happened." You lied.

"Really? but the students told us that Erin was beaten up." Jonghyun confoundedly asked.

You didn't want to let them know how you pleaded and swallowed your pride so you just went on another lie, "Mianhae... I guess I was late."

"But I presume you can't defend her even if you arrive early." Taemin smirked as you just rolled your eyes in response.

"Let's just cut classes. Erin must be startled." Onew stated as they all agreed.

You just followed them though it stinged you at how they took care of Erin while ignoring your presence.

Minho glimpsed back and saw how you frailly walked and forcing to catch up with them.

He lent his palm as you just stared at him. 

"I-I'm alright..." You said with a shuddered voice and walked on.

Minho grabbed your arm as you just let him help you.

 

*****

You woke up in the midnight as you remembered the tradition you were doing on your birthday.

You knew it was too late to celebrate but at least you wanted to do it alone.

Your father used to make you seeweed soup but since you couldn't cook, you just sat on the couch and cleared your throat.

You sang his song instead; and as you were singing the happy song, your tears began to flow continuously. You remembered how he hugged you and fondled your hair everytime he was singing. 

And his warm 'Happy birthday' gathered every courage you have in your heart. 

"Saengil Chukha yo, Princess Baegseol..." You whispered and embraced yourself.