Third day : Disciplinary Sanction II

Night School [Hiatus]

 

Turnning around, Jungkook encountered Taehyung standing beside him staring at the gardener with a very innocent expression and expecting him to give them the rakes. Under the astonished gaze of Jungkook, Taehyung politely thanked Mr. Shin and then spun on his heel and started to walk away with great strides in bringing the two rakes a hand.

Jungkook ran after him, gently bouncing between graves and stumbling on uneven ground when the annoying hum of lawnmowers fill the air.

- What are you doing here?! And where are you going!? - he asked sharply. seeing that Taehyung ignored, shouted: - Hey! Shouldn't we be sweeping instead of running?!

Taehyung didn't seemed bothered by his attitude.

- I'm here because I received a disciplinary sanction. And you, why are you here?! And can you please you calm down. We have to wait a few minutes until the mowers cut anything for us to sweep . So I will get away form them .

Only stopped next to the yew in front of the chapel.
Leaning the two rakes against the trunk and leaning on a protruding root, he rose to one of the lower branches and sat comfortably with suspended legs.
Reaching for Jungkook, arched an eyebrow questioningly.
 
After a moment's of hesitation (during what he imagined to stand there, far from Taehyung, saying: «No, thanks., I'm fine») Jungkook reluctantly held out an arm.
While Taehyung holded a hand and pulled him closer, Jungkook saw something in his expression that failed to interpret, which made ​​his blood rush to his face.
 
Jungkook slided the knotty branch, getting away from him, putting one foot on the trunk, settled with a bent leg and the other dangling in the void.
Taehyung turned to him, getting his back against the trunk. Rolling a twig between his fingers, looked at Jungkook curiously.
Jungkook began to see the mowers in action, pretending not to notice the look Taehyung was giving him.Far away from where he was , he could hear a watercourse.
 
- Listen - Taehyung said then - I've been to see if I catch you alone in order to apologize.
 
Jungkook gave him a glance, surprised. Taehyung seemed uncomfortable , which was unusual him.
 
- The other day, in the library, I didn't make myself clear - the boy continued. - I noticed that you thought I was saying something I was not saying. Actually, I think you have as much right to be here as anyone else. Ok? Please believe that.
 
Jungkook nodded, though his expression remained closed. Taehyung let out a frustrated sigh.
 
- I feel bad about what happened. You must think I'm a total idiot.
Jungkook nodded again, now with a ironic half-smile, which madehim  laugh. He tried to suppress a smile, but failed.
- I know it . Jungkook, I hope you believe me. I didn't mean to say what you thought. No way. I cann't with snobs in this school. Don't wanna be one of them. Can we start again?
 
Something in his heart would not let him trust him. But it was also true, he thought then that «something inside him» never let him rely on anyone else. And  why let the situacion drag on more than necessary ? 
- Sure -  Jungkook finally answered.
 
- Great. Now we are again at the starting point. - Looking toward the garden, Taehyung said: - Okay. It was easier than I anticipated. Meanwhile, it seems that there was progress ahead. We better start.
 
Taehyung jumped from the branch, landed lightly on the ground and turned to help Jungkook down. When Jungkook arrived the edge of the branch, he streched his hand to Taehyung , who ignored his outstretched hand, holding him around the waist and placed him down without difficulty. Jungkook was surprised with his strength.
 
- Let's go to work - he said, turning to grab the rakes: Jungkook watched his relaxed walk and then followed him to the cemetery at the rear of the chapel.
 
The gravestones were not particularly informative (Ms. Yoon YooSun, beloved wife of Yoon YeJun and mother of Yoon MinJun, 1803-1849, God give peace to her soul), but still Jungkook found himself unable to resist reading for all those who went, thinking then each occupant of graves and wondering if they would have had a happy life and what brought them there.
 
Forty-six. She wasn't that old, he thought. His mother should have the same age, if not more.