4. Yoochun

Our Sweet Scripted Scandal

“Good job everyone we have done the first episode,” the director congratulated the cast as they were finishing for the day, “tomorrow do your best so we can get far in the second episode.” His employees bowed to him and they all went back to talking.

“You did well,” Yoohwan told Jiyoung as they walked to the car park.

“Thank you,” Jiyoung accepted the praise seeing as she had managed to stuff up a few times. After the thing with the camera cable she accidentally had called Minhyun by his real name, nearly choked on a cracker and stumbled as she made her leave.

“It’s ok if you make mistakes, everyone does,” Yoohwan told her, grinning like he was fine with it. He was charming so he was able to get away with it a bit more than her. There was a lot more expected from a rookie actress than one who knew their job.

A car honked, both of them looked up at the red car pulling in. Yoohwan’s face grinned at Jiyoung.

“My hyung,” he said with surprise, “why is he driving my car?” He also asked slightly annoyed as he walked over to it.

“See you later Jiyong-ee,” Yoohwan called. Jiyoung lifted up a hand in a feeble wave compared to the one her junior was giving, making fifty degree movements. The car drove off leaving Jiyong to catch a bus.

***

The bus ride was normal, full of university students and elderly folk getting home as well as those who had to work. Jiyoung couldn’t afford a car at the moment so this was her only means of getting around.

When she got home she had a call from her mother. “Why haven’t you returned my call Jiyoung? Your father wants to know if you need some more money. Let me know soon please, my mother and father also want to know if they can be of help. Hope you are well.” Jiyoung sighed before she called her mother.

“Oh thank goodness, how is the shooting dear?”

“It’s going fine thank you.”

“Ok so when do you get paid?” Jiyoung held the phone away from her ear while her mum rambled on about money.

“I will receive it on Tuesday next week.”

“Good, so how much are you being paid?”

“Umma,” Jiyoung was horrified that was one of the first things on her mother’s mind. “That is none of your concern.”

“It is if it isn’t enough to cover you in that old apartment you call a home,” Jiyoung held back a sigh. Her mum was very serious about money. Both her parents were, usually families put each other first but for her, it was about how much the school uniform was, whether they could afford desserts and what was left over at the end of the day.

“Don’t worry umma, they have talked to me and they are going to be giving me a good amount for each episode I do.”

“Is it much as that high class actress who is the lead of it?”

“Umm,” Jiyong didn’t have to think on it, she already knew the answer, “no, not as much eomma.”

“Then you should ask for more, by the way have you heard from Doohoo?” Jiyoung stopped short; her eyes went back to the picture.

“Not since he left,” she said after a while, “I haven’t called him and he doesn’t call either.”

“Well you should,” her umma firmly reprimanded to her daughter, “he has no right to keep you waiting for what is rightfully yours.”

“I know but he will give me it once he actually has it.”

“Alright then, I shall leave it with you, you’ve done well for yourself and I trust you to make the right decisions.”

“Thank you umma,” Jiyoung hadn’t been expected a compliment from her mother so she took it with gladness.

“Ok I need to cook dinner, have a good night.”

“Night,” Jiyoung pressed hang up and went to make up a packet of readymade Kim chi.  

***

“Sorry for having to be rude,” Yoohwan told Jiyoung as they took a break from filming. Yoohwan had just acted in character to Jiyoung. He had called her ugly and as a response a shocked Sesoo had to open like a fish. It was an unflattering expression for anyone to have to do.  

“It’s ok, I don’t think I would have been as offended like Sesoo was,” Jiyoung joked taking a sip from her water bottle.

“How’s the ankle?” Yoohwan peered down at her legs which were covered with white trousers over grey triangle pointed boots.

“A lot better considering that I sprained it only a week ago,” Jiyoung told him lifting up the end of her trouser leg to reveal the hidden bandage.

“Good thing the stylist has me in trousers or long skirts until it’s healed.”

“Yoohwan, someone is here to see you?” They looked over at the director who was waving Yoohwan over to him.

“Oh who would it be?” Yoohwan asked excitedly running over to their boss like a school boy. Jiyoung smiled at his silliness while he went with the director through the studio door. She went over to one of the chairs to take off her coat. In the next scene she was doing with Hanbyul she didn’t need it on. This one was where she would meet Minhyun’s character.

“Ok Jiyoung-ee are you set to come on?” The director had returned and was unaccompanied by Yoohwan. She nodded and got into position. Hanbyul was there and waiting.

“Ok and action.” Jiyoung got ready and into character.

“Omo your nephew is rude Johye-sshi,” Jiyoung said saying it in a airy voice her lips pursed, “why did he call me ugly?”

“I’m sorry Sesoo-sshi; he’s been acting weird since he came here with his bags. I haven’t heard from my unnie so I assume that everything is fine.”

“Well he can’t stay here and be a brat,” Jiyoung stomped her foot, pain rushed up her leg through her ankle.

“I will talk to him when he gets back,” Hanbyul said releasing the knife in her hand she had been clenching. Jiyong nodded.

“Cut and we will go to the next scene where Junho comes in with the chocolates.” Minhyun stood ready, grinning in his grey dress shirt and black trousers.

“Johye-sshi, I’ve missed my chagi!” Minhyun called as Junho walked in happily, a box of chocolates tucked under his arm.

“Junho-sshi I am busy,” Hanbyul gestured to Jiyoung, “Junho-sshi this is my best friend Lee Sesoo.”

“Nice to meet you,” he took her hand but Jiyoung snatched it back.

“Do you have to touch every beautiful woman you meet?” Jiyoung demanded, putting a posh tone in her voice that Sesoo had when she wasn’t impressed.

“Oh I’m sorry,” Minhyun bowed to her before Jiyoung picked up the handbag from the bench, “I’ll be off now. Take care darling,” Jiyoung waved to Hanbyul before her character exited.

“Cut, Jiyoung take five while we run through Johye and Junho’s next scene.” Jiyoung went back to her coat and put it on. Was she the only one cold?

“And this is where we are currently filming the kitchen scenes,” Jiyoung’s attention went to the door where Yoohwan’s voice was.

“Ok we are all set?” The director got into his chair, “and we will… Hold on.” The studio door opened and Yoohwan appeared. He was in conversation with someone.

“Yoohwan-ah we are about to start filming….” The director was silenced by Yoohwan’s guest. Hanbyul blinked while a grin came across Minhyun’s face. The crew seemed to be star struck but not as much as Jiyoung who had only been in contact with the other actors in the drama.

Before them all stepped out into sight was a lean, round faced with wide set cheekbones a pair of dark bright eyes and short black hair cut behind the ears and on the forehead. His face was one that everyone recognized. He was dressed simple, a black jumper over a red shirt and a pair of loose fitting jeans. He had on a pair of black sneakers. Yoohwan watched the cast and then back to his hyung who bowed.

“Hello, excuse me for interrupting you all.”

“Park Yoochun,” the director hurried over and bowed to him and with enthusiastic manner shook his hand.

“How are you doing?” The director asked.

“I’m fine thank you, I came to visit my dongsaeng for a bit,” Yoochun’s eyes went to his brother who was going to Jiyoung.

“Jiyoung-ee,” Yoohwan sang, “you should come meet him.” Jiyong bit the side of her lip.

“Umm I don’t know if I should…”

“Come on,” Yoohwan dragged on her arm while the other two actors came over to say hello.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Hanbyul told Yoochun before Minhyun bowed to him.

“Miss Ripley has been doing well you should be proud of your hyung,” Minhyun called to Yoohwan who was taking Jiyoung to him, more like dragging. She jerked her arm free making Yoohwan stumble.

“Uh oh,” she saw him start to fall. Yoochun came and grabbed him by the elbows pushing him up with one movement.

“You need to be more careful,” he said patting him on the head; Yoohwan ruffled his hair afterwards.

“Jiyoung-ee, come say hello!” Yoochun’s eyes moved from the other experienced actors to Jiyoung who walked up to them. Her gaze went uneasy as she felt him looking at her. She came to a stop.

“Yoochun-ee,” Yoohwan said gesturing to Jiyoung with a hand, “this is Jiyoung-ee, this is her first time acting in a drama,” Jiyoung’s face flushed from the shame. She bowed to him to hide this.

“Hello,” she said, “thank you for visiting,” as she stood straight again. Yoochun bowed to her in return.

“It is alright, I have enjoyed watching,” he went back to his normal stance, their eyes meeting. Something seemed to click in one of Jiyoung’s mental gages but she shook it off.

“Well I need to be moving,” Yoochun turned to his dongsaeng, feeling awkward too.

“Aww you have to leave?” Yoochun nodded to his disappointed dongsaeng.

“Yes, the other two will be wondering where I am, we are having dinner together. It will be a while before we get to again.” Yoohwan nodded.

“Ok hyung,” Yoochun gave his brother a side hug.

“Stay out of trouble,” he grinned patting Yoohwan’s shoulder, “it was nice meeting you all,” he told the cast who said their farewell. He turned back to Jiyoung who had been standing quietly since he came.

“I look forward to seeing your first drama,” he said grinning, “you seem to be natural at it.” Jiyoung wasn’t prepared for his compliment.

“T-thank you I will do my best.”

“Goodbye,” Yoochun called as he left the studio, Yoohwan tagging after him. Before he disappeared behind a door Yoohwan winked at Jiyoung. Jiyoung stared at him, confused by his sign.

(Hehe I wonder what Yoohwan is thinking of, thanks for reading )