26. Her choice

Our Sweet Scripted Scandal

Jiyoung had been finding it hard to concentrate. Since Yoochun had asked her that tough question she was still debating as to whether or not she wanted to go out with him. He hadn’t exactly been patient, sometimes he would demand an answer beforehand and when she reminded him about what he said, he suddenly remembered and then went off to hang out with other cast and crew.

A good thing about being abroad was that her mum didn’t contact her unless she called which was fine with her.

“Jiyoung-ah,” he’d gone past formal language now.

“Neh?” She looked over at him walking over to her, a manuscript book in his hand.

“I was wondering if I could get your opinion on something.” He lifted up the paper so she could see. On the top were the words, ‘if I can’t stay.’

“What’s this?” She asked her brain already starting to get scrambled from the notation on the lines. She couldn’t read music.

“I’ve been asked to compose the Love theme for the Original Soundtrack,” he explained, “and so I wrote this. I’m thinking of getting either Jaejoong or Junsu to sing it.”

“You should do it.”

“Me? I don’t think my voice would fit it—“

“Can’t you change it so that it would?” Jiyoung suggested, “You would get more credit if you sang and compose it as well as your acting.”

“True but it wouldn’t be fair to the other cast who are just acting,” he had included her and it only occurred to her.

“It’s hard to say what I think of it,” Jiyoung explained, “I can’t understand it.”

“You’re right,” Yoochun had a brainwave, “come with me.”

“What, wait where are we going?” He took her hand and pulled her along after him, “Yoochun-sshi!”

“Call me oppa and then I may say something,” he replied as they came to the car park. Jiyoung silently sighed.

“Fine… Oppa where is it that you are taking me?”

“You’ll see when we arrive.”

“W-what?”

“Like I said, you will see.” He took her to the car park and unlocked the car. Jiyoung suddenly realized it was his own car.

“Huh?” She didn’t get an answer as he closed the door and got into the driver’s seat.

“Buckle up,” he advised and she did. They pulled out of the park and drove down a road. She tried to open the door but the handle wouldn’t budge.

“Child lock,” Jiyoung banged her head against the window. Escaping was now unlikely.

***

They pulled up in front of a shop. Yoochun got out and opened the door for her. She just bowed because she didn’t want to say thank you. As they entered she realized it was an antique store. Old vases with oriental decorations, teddy bears, books that had that old smell and many other things were in the place. A wind chime hung above the door to signal their entry.

“Hello again,” an ahjussi came over. Yoochun and Jiyoung both bowed to him.

“How are you ahjussi?” Jiyoung looked at Yoochun, a million questions running in her head.

“The piano’s still where it was last time,” the ahjussi smiled gesturing with a sweep of his arm to the white grand piano in the corner of the room by some paintings.

“We won’t be long,” Yoochun assured him as he started to authoritatively lead Jiyoung.

“That’s alright, I’m sure your girlfriend here will enjoy it.” Jiyoung wanted to protest but she just began feigning a swoon. Yoochun made her sit on the edge of the piano stool and he sat placing the manuscript on the stand. He cracked his fingers, his neck and moved his shoulders up and down. He then placed his hands on the ivories and began to play and slow but sad tune in minor key. It seemed to make her heart react and if that wasn’t enough he began to sing:

If I can’t stay,
then is it time for me to go?
Nothing left here for me,
only just memories.

If I must leave,
then why do you look at me that way?
Because I don’t want you to need me,
if I can’t stay.

She managed to listen to it without hassle until he sang the next part with his deep husky voice:

If you don’t love me,
then why do you cry?
I will drink by myself,
to pass the time.

Did I hurt you?
Is that why I’m leaving?
But please stop pleading,
because I can’t stay.

Tears were running down her eyes and she had to stand up and turn her head away. The music faded as Yoochun halted. Jiyoung wiped her eyes as she faced him.

“What do you think?”

“It’s great,” her bent arm went to her eyes to stop them from tearing away again. The memory of Doohoo alive and replaying; she sniffed the ahjussi held out a tissue in front of her. She made a bob in thanks as she dabbed her eyes.

“He’s been working on it for a while. He came in here the first time a few months ago to ask for directions and he found her there. That song is beautiful isn’t it?” If only he knew the real reason and it was this thought that made Jiyoungs eyes water again. Still woebegone she bowed to him politely and walked to the front door making the chimes ring.

***

She looked around with her red eyes for a possible way back but the only way seemed to be down the road they came from. She went to Yoochun’s car, her reflection not pleasant to her own eye.

“Jiyoung-ah,” she moved to look at Yoochun, he seemed sorry. She wiped her eyes again, “I can change it. I will re-word it if it hurts to remember him.” Jiyoung was surprised.

“You would do that?” She was trembling, “for me?”

“Of course,” he said walking over to her, “you already know why.” He squeezed her shoulder. Jiyoung nodded, letting out some air she had held in.

“Oppa,” he looked her in the eye, “I…I’ve made up my mind.”

“You still have time.”

“No, I’m sure this time,” Jiyoung shook her head making a smile, “I don’t want to rethink it anymore.” Yoochun released her shoulder and just waited patiently. She lost her nerve to say the word. Instead she nodded.

“Yes.”

“Yes to what Jiyoung-ah?”

“Yes to you,” Yoochun almost seemed to not hear that.

“As in you’ll go out with me?” She nodded again.

“Yes,” she smiled with open. Yoochun’s eyes widened but had a glint of happiness in them.

“Wahoo!” He called to the air, arms fully extended and stretched, “you hear that?! She said yes to me!” Jiyoung giggled as Yoochun enjoyed the moment for a little bit longer.

“There is one condition,” she added bringing him back down to earth.

“Which is?” He asked.

“We won’t start going out until we finish filming and we can’t reveal it until the premiere.”

“Bwoh, but we still have…” He began to count with his hand, “ten… Actually we have twenty, more scenes to shoot and re-shoot before we are finished filming how do you expect me to wait until then?”

“Depends on how much you want to be with me,” Jiyoung folded her arms. Yoochun began to think, he then let out a groan.

“Oh alright, until then it is.”

“Thank you.”

“But can’t I least hug you and other skinship?”

“Oppa!” Her abrupt tone caught him off guard, “well…Holding hands yes but otherwise nothing to make it obvious.”

“Ok, now let’s pinky promise,” he held out his hand with his little finger out, “promise that we will do our best to cherish each other.” Jiyoung agreed as she put her pinky in his and they hooked together.

“Good,” Yoochun was beaming as they resumed what they were doing. He reached out for her hand and she let him hold it.

“You seem really keen,” Jiyoung noted as they walked hand in hand the small distance around the front of the vehicle.

“Of course,” Yoochun said unlocking the door and opening it for her, “I want to take advantage of our time alone. There won’t be a lot of it when we return home. Junsu and Jaejoong-ah will probably want me to spend time with them as well as rehearsing.”

“Is it for a new album coming out?”

“It’s for our concert in Germany,” he said as he got into his seat, “first time there it is exciting.”

“Of course,” Jiyoung agreed. Yoochun grinned at her as he started the car.

“Alright my chagi, let’s go.”

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Yay some of us are probably thinking XD. Oh yeah the song is not a real song, it’s just one I made up because I couldn’t think of any that would suit. So next chapter the J.J brothers (it’s my corny lame name for Junsu and Jaejoong) will probably appear so enjoy and anticipate and subscribe if you haven’t!