7. Hanbyul and handbags

Our Sweet Scripted Scandal

“Hey Jiyong are you there?” Jiyong looked up from her food. She hadn’t expected anyone to still find her, in her dressing room, eating.

“Yes,” Jiyong put her chopsticks down and turned to the door opening. Hanbyul stood ready, her denim shirt was loose over a grey t-shirt and a pair of black leggings. Her feet had black ankle boots and her hair was pinned up neatly.

“You ready to go?” She asked, Jiyong glanced down at her own clothes, she felt very immature with her pink pastel skirt, white blouse and beige sandals. She didn’t even do anything with her hair.

“I suppose,” she stood up and packed up her rubbish, “where are we going?”

“Don’t you know?” Hanbyul asked handing her junior her coat, “it’s the biggest complex in the area.”

“Oh right,” Jiyong knew what she meant but forgot the name.

“Cool let’s go,” Hanbyul opened the door and walked out with Jiyong following, her hands putting everything back in her bag.

***

“What do you think of this place?” Hanbyul stopped them in front of a very classy store; black interior on the inside with a plant on a round white table.

“I don’t know,” Jiyong lifted the price tag of a garment. When was the last time she had seen six zeros for a price?

“Oh I’m sure we can find something here,” Hanbyul was oblivious to Jiyong’s worry, “oh what about this?” She lifted off an item on the rack and showed it. Jiyong eyed the black velvet and the fake feathers around the neck. Jiyong cringed.

“Hmm it does remind me of something,” Hanbyul said the fabric, “I guess it’s a bit much.” She replaced it and picked up four more full coat hangers.

“What about orange?” Jiyong’s eyes went straight to the bottom of the dress where the split nearly revealed the whole leg.

“Too revealing,” Hanbyul decided putting it back. She lifted up the other one.

“Or, we have this lovely silver thing here,” it was a play or cat suit covered in a sparkly service. Jiyong would look like a disco ball.

“Yeah probably too glittery,” Hanbyul held up the final one, “this?” Jiyong was more inclined. It was satin with a light purple and blue floral print. The neck wasn’t low and there was no split.

“Yeah I can try it on,” Jiyong agreed.

“Oh let me help you,” they were approached by a tall shop assistant with bright orange hair. Her face was plastered in foundation.

“That would be good thanks,” Hanbyul said gesturing to Jiyong, “she needs something for a date; something nice but not too over the top.”

“Ah no problem let me see,” the shop assistant strode over and glanced over Jiyong, lifting her arms up.

“Small waist,” the woman noted before cupping both her hands on Jiyong’s hips, “medium but not overly generous hips.” She released her grip and stood behind Jiyong. Her hands came to Jiyong’s chest making her squeal in surprise. The eyes of other customers turned to the scenario. Hanbyul stood there with a hand over her smiling mouth.

“And a small chest,” Jiyong lifted her hands but the lady moved before she had to free herself.

“Alright, I’ll see what I can do,” the shop assistant wandered around the place, flicking through the garments returning with three.

“I think these will be to your liking.” She dropped them in Jiyong’s arms, “the changing rooms are around there.” Jiyong nodded and walked around. The stalls had white sliding doors with small stain glass pictures in it. Talk about expensive taste. There was even a table in the middle of the hall with breath mints in a glass crystal bowl.

“Just in here,” the assistant slid unlocked the door and slid it to the left. Jiyong gave a small nod and entered, nearly walking into the floor length mirror.

***

“Hmm I don’t know,” Hanbyul stood with her lips pursed as Jiyong stood awkwardly by the table in a white turtle necked dress.

“The high neck increases the size of her s,” the assistant replied simply, “a good thing for her.” Jiyong could feel the heat rising up under her collar.

“It seems too tight,” it hugged her thin frame.

“But you can pull it off,” Hanbyul’s compliment didn’t help; Jiyong pulled a face as her response.

“Ok try the other three on.” Jiyong emerged in a light beige dress with a bubble skirt.

“Lovely,” the assistant cooed.

“It does look very nice.”

“Yeah but look at the price,” Jiyong showed her, “I can’t afford that much.”

“Well how much did you want to spend?” Hanbyul hid the fact she felt dumb for not asking about her colleague’s price range.

“Umm, maybe… No more than fifty thousand?”

“Well I guess I’ll have to show you the reduced rack,” the assistant took Jiyong by the arm and walked her over to a small rack by the check out.

“Here is the reduced rack,” the assistants’ mood had swung in the opposite direction. “Shall I let you browse?” Hanbyul nodded.

“Thank you,” Jiyong hurried back to the change room and emerged before too long.

“Oh what about this Jiyong-ee?” Jiyong looked at Hanbyul’s suggestion. It was a simple black dress with the straps crossing over the back. It had red sequin embroidery on the side in an outline of petals.

“It’s pretty,” Jiyong the fabric; it was soft and silky to her touch. She then looked at the price. It was nine hundred won less than she had planned on spending.

“I’ll try it,” she took it from Hanbyul and went back to the changing room. She came out with it on. Hanbyul had to do a double take.

“Yes, that’s the one,” Hanbyul agreed, “it’s y but still modest.” Jiyong nodded, making a small smile while she agreed on the inside.

Her date would be impressed.

(And that’s the end of the shopping trip oh and if you are wondering about the price in Korea 100 won is around one Australian dollar or more or less so she only wanted to buy something the equivalent to 50 dollars. If this is wrong do let me know :P )