2. Inquisitive Yoohwan

Our Sweet Scripted Scandal

They all sat together the day after, getting ready to read the script. Jiyong felt out of place, most of the actors she was with had at least one year of experience while she had none.

“Hey sit with me Jiyoung-ee,” Yoohwan called to her, she saw the vacant chair and accepted.

“All right everyone,” the director started the introduction. “The first episode is where we will be bringing in the characters. The first scene is of Johye in the kitchen and then Lee Junho comes in giving her some flowers asking her on a date. We are starting where Lee Junho has arrived inside. Ok when we are ready! One, two three, go.”

“Johye-ah today is your lucky day!” The cast burst out laughing as Minhyun announced it in a loud singsong voice. He even was making over exaggerated facial gestures.

“Junho-ee you let yourself in again?!” Hanbyul read, putting on a voice that said she wasn’t impressed.

“Oh but for good reason my darling,” Hanbyul rolled her eyes making the cast laugh.

“Come on back on track,” the director clapped his hands to interrupt the laughter.

“So why is that then?” Minhyun pretended to hand Hanbyul a bouquet in which she took in reluctance; she did well to stay in character.

“Because tonight I have a table for two at the restaurant my father owns,” Minhyun read the next line to himself but nearly burst out laughing, “And I want you to come with me.” The cast bit back their laughter at his delivery of it.

“So you are asking me out again?” Hanbyul raised her eyebrows, “but why I’ve said no already.”

“But you can’t resist, I bought you flowers.” Minhyun pointed to the imaginary bouquet.

“Yes but I am incredibly busy so I must bid you farewell, goodbye,” the director pretended to swing a door shut.

“And he is pushed out of the house and the door bangs shut end of scene.” He turned his attention to the cast.

“We need to do that again, Minhyun try to sound more besotted this time not cheesy,” the cast chuckled at this while the actor grinned back.

***

Two hours later they had run through the first two episodes.

“Well we’ve gone at a slow pace,” the director told them, “but now we get a ten minute break. Go grab tea and come back. We will run through the first episode again.”

“How did you go?” Yoohwan asked Jiyong as they both stood to stretch their legs.

“Umm ok even though I stumbled a bit on my first line,” Jiyoung confessed.

“I guess you are still new to acting,” Yoohwan said thoughtfully, “but you will get it in time.”

“I suppose so,” Jiyoung turned to her junior in age but senior by career; “you did well to play your character.”

“Well I know how to be rude,” Yoohwan admitted almost ashamed, “I wasn’t exactly nice to my hyung.”

“Do you keep in contact with him a lot?” Jiyoung asked as they went to the cafeteria.

“I try, but he’s busy at the moment too.” Yoohwan said, “His drama Ripley is not far from being finished but he has filming for that and the activities with the other group members.” Jiyoung nodded. She knew all about the Dong Bang Shi Ki mess. As a result of leaving their company JYJ had more freedom in some areas but were still marginalized by broadcasting stations.

“Mm, I worry about my brother sometimes. He seems a lot more serious than he use to be, I think he’s lonely,” that was an unusual comment from a brother. They went to line up for their beverages.

“But he does have the other two to keep him company.”

“At times yes but when he’s filming Ripley he is away from them for most of the day.” Yoohwan was pondering something, “I think he needs a girlfriend.” Jiyong kept closed, it was not her place.

“Do you have a boyfriend Jiyoung-ee?” She thought back to the photograph on her fridge.

“It’s a long story,” she said as she accepted her tea and moved away from the bench, “I don’t really want to talk about it.”

“But you are single right?” Jiyoung was taken back.

“I don’t know if you should be asking such things Yoohwan-ee,” she told him firmly, “for one I am about five years older than…”

“Oh it’s not for me,” Yoohwan, said, “and you are five years older?”

“Umm something like that,” she took a sip from the cup, “I’m an eighty six child.”

“Oh wow so you are the same age as my brother,” Yoohwan sipped his tea, pulling a face, “he was born in June.”

“Oh well then he’s older than me.”

“What month were you born in?”

“September,” they walked back to their seats.

“Ah I wouldn’t have guessed,” Yoohwan said to her, “you look a lot younger you know.” Jiyong had no clue of how she was meant to take that. She was beginning to get uncomfortable.

“Um thank you,” she managed to say as they sat down.

(Ha-ha Yoohwan was fun to write, like those really annoying kids who think they know everything)