3. Shooting a Drama

Our Sweet Scripted Scandal

A month passed since the first script reading. The whole cast had become a lot closer with each other as a result, especially Yoohwan and Jiyoung whom Yoohwan looked up to like an older sister.

“Ok now the script reading is complete, we will start the filming. For this we need a few changes with some of the characters,” he looked at Jiyoung.

“We need your hair into a glamorous style,” Jiyoung held up some of her hair, not sure why he didn’t like it.

“Book an appointment with your hairdresser as soon as you can,” he told her, “Yoohwan we need something wild with you, we will be getting some temporary tattoos on you and put some green in your hair.” Yoohwan’s eyes widened when the director mentioned the green.

“Minhyun is fine, Hanbyul is already in character, ok then come back on Friday we start filming then.”

“You excited?” Yoohwan asked Jiyoung as they packed their stuff to call it a day.

“Yes it’s my first drama so I’m very happy,” she admitted.

***
Jiyoung got an appointment with the hairdresser the next day; they cut her hair a few inches shorter and added three layers to finish it off. Jiyoung stared back at her reflection in grief for the lost of her hair. It changed the length of her face; it seemed too glamorous for her.

“It really suits you,” her hair dresser crooned touching the soft ends, “it’s still long but you can really see the depth.” Jiyoung nodded but it would take some getting used to.

***

They filmed the first episode over the course of two days and by the end of the next week they had done up to half way through episode four. They were in the studio for the inside scenes and for outside ones they had rented a house in a high class street in Seoul.

“We need you to redo that scene again,” the director called to Hanbyul and Yoohwan, “Yoohwan act more rebellious, you need to scare your ahjumma.”

“I don’t want to be here!’ Yoohwan exclaimed, starting to yell, “You can’t keep me here like this!” Hanbyul put a hand on his shoulder, Yoohwan abruptly shook her off.

“Don’t touch me! Don’t even come near me!” He his heels and stormed off, Hanbyul leaned on the bench, shaking.

“And cut, that was much better,” the director told them, “ok now Jiyong we are going to film the part where you’ve walked in after Yoohwan has stormed out and you find your best friend in shock.” Jiyoung nodded and got to the end of the studio. Jiyoung stumbled in the heels; she wasn’t use to wearing such shoes.  Even the nice black dress coat and red turtle neck dress seemed too much for her. But the stylist had gushed over her, complimenting her it seemed for every single body part.

“Ok, and action,” Jiyoung strutted into the kitchen and stumbled.

“Cut, try that again please and this time keep your balance.”

“Sorry,” Jiyoung bowed.

“Ready and action,” Jiyoung walked in again but this time she tripped over a camera cable.

“Cut, what the hell is that doing there? Get someone to move it or we are violating work place health and safety.” The assistant camera men got to work on hiding the camera while Jiyoung lay on the wooden boards. Hanbyul came over and gave her a hand up.

“Not quite use to it yet?” Hanbyul asked friendly.

“No, not really,” Jiyoung flushed, embarrassed by this.

“If you practice wearing them at home then you can get the feel better. Also watch some fashion shows and observe how they walk,” Jiyoung nodded.

“Thank you,” she told her senior.

“Ok Jiyoung-ee are you ready?” Jiyoung stood up, wincing as pain came into her ankle.

“We will get that looked at after your shooting,” the director said. Hanbyul opened to protest but she backed down, looking at Jiyoung in apology. Jiyoung showed her appreciation silently. She walked slowly back to the starting point, trying not to show her pain as she stepped on the injury.

“Ok ready and action,” Jiyoung started to walk but the ankle hurt, Hanbyul moved.

“I’m sorry I can’t,” the cameramen and the director sighed.

“Why can you not do it Hanbyul-sshi?” The director asked in exasperation.

“Look at her foot,” Hanbyul pointed to it, “she is in agony, if she doesn’t get it seen to it will swell up.”

“Oh very well, go see the nurse,” the director got up front his seat, “be back in half an hour,” Hanbyul sighed.

“You shouldn’t have,” Jiyoung told her.

“Don’t worry about me, see to your ankle,” Hanbyul smiled as Jiyoung walked off the studio. She stopped, removed her shoes and continued on.

(I don’t blame Jiyoung. High heels are really hard to walk in. I would know I have weak ankles so it was hard to get use to wearing such shoes, but I don’t wear really tall ones. Sprained ankles really hurt though :/)