32. Chuseok

Our Sweet Scripted Scandal

 “So how come you haven’t told me much about this boyfriend?” Jiyoung’s mother asked as Jiyoung helped her clean up the table after they had lunch together.

“Well there isn’t much to say eomma,” Jiyoung began as she filled the sink with water, “we’ve been together for about three months and a half. He’s a few months older than me and we met through his dongsaeng who I filmed that drama with.”

“You mean the punk nephew?” Jiyoung sighed.

“His name is Park Yoohwan and it’s his character not his actual personality.”

“Anyway, when is this boyfriend coming?” Jiyoung glanced at the clock, “he’s coming to pick me up at five thirty. The drive to the ferry is an hour and a half.”

“Right, so you’re not staying for dinner?” Jiyoung almost felt guilty from how her eomma sounded displeased by this.

“Sorry eomma,” she apologized though this would be pointless.

“Bah as long as he pays for your food and what-not then I guess it’s alright.”

“Shouldn’t you be getting ready?” Her appa said as he entered and picked up a tea-towel, “he’ll be here in half an hour.”

“Is that ok?” Jiyoung couldn’t look at her eomma.

“Sure, I’ll dry up; you just make sure you are ready so you can leave on time.”

“Thanks appa,” Jiyoung hugged her dad as she went to get changed.  It was funny being in her old bedroom, not much had changed since she had moved out. The only difference was that it was a lot cleaner than it had been when she was living there.

She put on a white skirt and a red top as well as some small beige heels. She clipped her hair away off her face and then began to apply makeup. She put some pearl earrings in and a small pearl bracelet.

“Jiyoung, he’s here.” Her appa called from the hall. Jiyoung left her old bedroom to greet Yoochun. He was dressed in a dark blue shirt with jeans and black leather shoes.

“You look lovely,” he beamed as he embraced Jiyoung.

“Thanks, you look good too,” she added smiling. She felt the eyes of her mother boring into her back.

“Oh Yoochun-ah,” she stood beside him, “appa, eomma this is Park Yoochun. He’s in JYJ.”

“My…” Her eomma was speechless, “is that really…?”

“Nice to meet you,” Jiyoung’s appa stepped forward. Yoochun bowed to him, “you look like a nice guy who takes good care of himself and my little Youngie.”

“Appa,” Jiyoung said almost through clenched teeth, “I thought I asked you not to call me that anymore.”

“But you still are my little Youngie.” Yoochun smiled while Jiyoung tried not to snap at her dad.

“Thank you for allowing me to go out with your daughter,” Yoochun added as he shook her dad’s hand, “well you two better get going. The traffic’s going to be terrible.”

“Thanks umm...”

“Call me Kyu-Min,” her appa added, “my wife’s name is Min-Ara.”

“Alright Kyu-Min,” Yoochun added, “It was nice meeting you.”

“Same here, have a safe drive.”

***

“Your parents are nice,” Yoochun told her as they drove down the highway.

“That’s because the only thing you said to them was hello and goodbye,” Jiyoung said as she checked her reflection in a compact mirror.

“No it’s because I can see that while your eomma…May have some issues they really do care about you.”

“You’re too nice,” Jiyoung pinched Yoochun on the hand.

“Ah what’s that for?”

“Because you’re too kind,” she grinned and Yoochun smiled as well. Jiyoung’s stomach growled.

“Are you hungry?” Yoochun smirked.

“I ate lunch,” Jiyoung protested, “I don’t know why I’m hungry again.”

“Well we can stop for a bite if you would like.”

“But oppa then we will be late.”

“Its fine, I don’t think hyung really minds,” Yoochun assured her as they stopped at a small shop. Yoochun ordered some food and then they sat at a table to eat their noodles.

“How is it?” Yoochun asked as Jiyoung scrunched her face up. She put her box down and fanned fast.

“H-hot,” she said with open but barely moving. Yoochun reached for the noodles and he blew on them.

“W-what are you doing?” She asked when she was able to move her tongue properly.

“My girlfriend can’t ruin her pretty tongue on a box of ramen,” Yoochun assured her as he kept blowing. He blew on them for a good minute or two before placing the box back in front of her.

“Try them now,” Jiyoung lifted some to . They didn’t feel as hot as before so she took a bite.

“Mmm,” she nodded and finished her mouthful.

“Good,” Yoochun was having a blast watching her eat, “we’ll leave in ten minutes ok?” She nodded again and he laughed.

***

 They drove down the highway until they reached a town where they drove down a road beside the river and came to a dock. The sun was just starting to set leaving the sky an apricot and lilac blend.

“Oh wow,” Jiyoung spotted the large ferry where people were dressed in smart casual and were walking on. A man stood with a clip board that checked names before letting them on.

“You really do look lovely today,” Yoochun said as they walked down to the boat.

“How many times are you going to say that?” Jiyoung asked as they met with the man.

“Can I get you names please.”

“Park Yoochun and Choi Jiyoung we’re friends of Jaejoong-ah.”

“Yep you’re on here, come aboard we will be leaving in five minutes.” Yoochun nodded and let Jiyoung go first. On the boat people were talking as a table was laden with food, drinks in cocktail glasses, a punch bowl and a flower wreath that stood in the middle with a ribbon that had happy Chuseok printed on it.

“Hyung,” the couple saw Yoohwan walk to them, he was in a black jersey and dark jeans.

“Hey Yoohwan-ah,” Yoochun gave his brother a man hug, “you look good.”

“Thanks, so do you two,” Yoohwan told them, “noona glad you could come.”

“Yoochun-ah,” they recognized that voice from anywhere. Junsu bounded over to them wrapping an arm over one shoulder each.

“You were late,” Junsu added like a smart aleck.

“Yah go bother Jaejoong,” Yoochun said pretending to be mad.

“He’s already with his drinking buddies…”

“Attention ladies and gentleman, this is your captain speaking we are about to leave port. Enjoy your evening aboard the Princess.” The sound of an engine started up, soon and slowly the boat began to leave port.

***

“Isn’t it nice here?” Yoohwan asked Jiyoung as he and her stood with a drink in their hand on the bottom storey of the boat.

“Yes it’s very pleasant,” Jiyoung glanced around. Yoochun had disappeared and hadn’t returned yet from his expedition.

“Hey Yoohwan-ah,” the two spotted Jaejoong who was waving like a child at them he had a friend with him.

“Jaejoong,” Yoohwan said as the two men came up to them, “you’re drunk.”

“Actually more like tipsy,” Jaejoong giggled sloshing his beverage a bit, “but don’t worry I will be sober before I get drunk.”

“That makes no sense,” his friend sounded fine despite drinking too.

“Hyung Joong,” Yoohwan bowed to his sunbae, “it’s been a while.”

“Yes it has been my chingu,” Hyung Joong raised his drink to him before lowering it again, “how’s future acting plans been?”

“Good, but nothing’s come up…” Yoohwan stopped. Hyung Joong’s eyes were no longer on him. They were on the nearest female in the perimeter who was standing shyly beside him.

“Why hello,” Hyung Joong, said to her startling her, “have we met?” She shook her head, he was handsome with boyish features. She was unable to look him in the eye.

“I thought so I don’t forget a pretty face,” Hyung Joong took a step closer to her, “what’s your name?”

“C-Choi Jiyoung,” why was she stuttering?

“Pretty name,” Hyung Joong gently complimented, “pretty name for a pretty lady such as you.” Jiyoung lifted her head up to answer; her eyes darted to a face who was scowling, Yoochun looked pissed.

“H-hyung,” Yoohwan was flabbergasted too. Yoochun turned and walked off.

“W-wait hyung,” Yoohwan ran off after him leaving Jiyoung with Hyung Joong and Jaejoong.

“Oh Joong-ah my glass is almost empty,” Jaejoong said tipping it from side to side, “I need more.” Hyung Joong seemed to fit the pieces together.

“Come on hyung,” he led Jaejoong away, “let’s get some water. You can’t let yourself drink too much this time.”

“No Joong,” Jaejoong tugged Hyung Joong on the shirt, “I want to get drunk… I miss them…. We had a boat like this on that music video… One where all five of us were friends,” Jiyoung wanted to shut her ears to his melancholic walk down memory lane so instead she went after Yoohwan and Yoochun.

“It’s not what it looked like!” Yoohwan yelled at Yoochun.

“Then why didn’t you stop it?!” Yoochun rebutted his face red from being fired up.

“Because I thought Jaejoong would have it under control.” Yoohwan lowered his gaze.

“Like f*** he did!” Jiyoung covered , she stopped moving. Yoochun leaned against the railing his hands in his face.

“H-hyung,” Yoohwan began in a calmer tone, “I-I’m….” The boat suddenly tipped on its bow. Yoohwan was standing close to the front where the railing wasn’t as high.

“YOOHWAN!” Jiyoung yelled, as he flipped over the railing and into the water. Yoochun lifted his face to see where the surface of the water had been broken.

“Man overboard!” Someone yelled. Yoochun looked at the water, his face pale.

“Y-Yoohwan!” He suddenly started to take his shoes off.

“Oppa no don’t do it!” Jiyoung began running but Yoochun was in the water; a moment later the two rose and the sat bobbing in the rippling water.

“THROW THE LIFE LINE!” Two men came rushing through the watching crowd to toss a floating ring to them. The two brothers grabbed onto it as they were pulled back on board.

“Grab some blankets and call the harbor master!” Another man called. Jiyoung went to them and wrapped an arm around each of them.

“Thank god!” She cried as she hugged their wet forms.

“Jiyoung-ah,” Yoochun patted her on the back with a wet hand.

“Excuse me miss,” a man said as he gave them towels which they wrapped around themselves, “let’s get you inside by the heaters.”

“Good idea,” the two were starting to shiver. They began to follow the man inside with Jiyoung following. She saw Jaejoong and Hyung Joong looking onwards. Hyung Joong’s eyes spotted her but he then looked away, looking guilty.

***

“Hyung you’re such an idiot!” Junsu was crying as he hugged Yoochun while Yoohwan nestled a cup with a warm beverage in his hands.

“I’m fine Junsu,” Yoochun’s eyes were tearing too. Someone entered; Jaejoong appeared to have sobered up quickly. He looked at Yoochun who released Junsu and then came beside Jiyoung while wiping his eyes. Jaejoong shook his head he slapped Yoochun. Jiyoung gasped but Junsu held her back.

“Babo,” Jaejoong muttered, his eyes misting up too, “we can’t lose you too…” Junsu nodded while sniffing.

“D-don’t… Don’t do it again Yoochun,” Jaejoong turned and left the cabin almost bumping into Hyung Joong.

“Hyung,” Junsu said surprised.

“Can I speak with you alone Jiyoung?” Yoochun’s angry glare came back through his wet eyes as they waited for Jiyoung to respond. She kept shut in a tight line as she nodded before following him.

“I’m sorry,” Hyung Joong bowed more than ninety degrees to her, “I had no idea that you were with Yoochun-ah. That was my mistake,” he lifted himself up again, “can you ever forgive me?” Jiyoung’s mouth was still shut but she opened it to speak, “I suppose so. It’s not like you’ll make that mistake again.”

“I promise I will back off,” Hyung Joong added, “could we maybe… Be friends when things aren’t so awkward?”

“I’ll think about it,” Jiyoung said with thought, “I don’t know when that will be though.”

“Thank you,” Hyung Joong gave a relieved smile as he bowed again, “I’d better find YoungSaeng, he’s here too.”

“Who’s that?”

“A friend of mine,” Hyung Joong left and Jiyoung returned to the cabin. Back in the cabin Junsu, Jaejoong, Yoochun and Yoohwan were laughing.

“I did not do that!” Junsu protested.

“Yes you did,” Yoochun pointed as Jaejoong wiped his eyes from laughing so hard, “you honestly told the interviewer that you were touched by how much they put on that pizza.”

“But it was touching!” They just began to laugh harder holding their sides.

“Oh you are always so adorable,” Jaejoong giggled before they were aware that Jiyoung had returned.

“Well… We’ve turned back to port,” Jaejoong said to her, “they’ll send these two to the hospital for a check-up.”

“I told you I’m fine,” Yoochun argued, “It’s my dongsaeng here who might have drowned!”

“Yah I can swim better than you!” Yoohwan disagreed, “you didn’t have to come and be a hero!”

“Umm can I speak with Yoochun-ah alone?” Jiyoung didn’t want to wait any longer to ask. They all looked at Yoochun as if to wait for his approval.

“Sure,” he said and he got up, “let’s go to the back of the boat,” Yoochun got up with his blanket still on. Jiyoung walked beside him to the stern where no one wanted to stand after the previous incident at the bow.

“So,” Yoochun folded his arms, “what is it that you want to say?”

“I… I don’t want you to misunderstand what happened,” Jiyoung began squeezing her hands together, “Hyung Joong-sshi… He didn’t know I was with you.”

“Is that what really happened?” Yoochun said to her, “Because I would be angry if you got Yoohwan to lie for you.”

“Oppa,” Jiyoung was hurt by his accusation. Her eyes suddenly filled with tears, “I honestly would never…” She shook her head unable to finish the sentence, “—I would never lie to you.” Her voice was now shaking along with her hands.

“Really?” Yoochun was visibly moved, “how can I know Jiyoung-ah?” His voice was now starting to crack too.

“Because…” Jiyoung stopped short, “because I…” They looked at each other, their eyes locked. Neither of them spoke, Jiyoung stepped closer to Yoochun lifting her head to him. Yoochun moved his hand, lifting his blanket up and over her head. Jiyoung’s head was now crowned with the dark blue warm fabric. Yoochun lifted some of it over him so his head was shadowed like hers. Jiyoung stepped closer so she could almost rest her chin on his chest. Yoochun’s hand went to her cheek which he touched, Jiyoung breathed out slowly her eyes slowly beginning to shut. Yoochun’s warm breath tickled her philtrum before his lips pressed against hers. A rush seemed to go through Jiyoung as she felt his mouth open slightly leading her to do the same. His hand went to the back of her head pushing her closer to him deepening the kiss. This was nothing like the scripted scene; this was more natural, more real.  They pulled apart, the force of the contact starting to become overwhelming. Jiyoung lifted her head up to him waiting for one of them to break the silence.

“J-Jiyoung,” Yoochun stuttered his eyes in awe and wonder, “I think I’m in love with you.” Jiyoung’s face changed to shock. No, it couldn’t be. She shook it off and gently hit him in the chest.

“I think you swallowed too much water,” she teased as he put the blanket down.

“We’re near port,” Yoohwan said to them as he joined them, “shame the party has to end so soon right?” Yoochun and Jiyoung hadn’t paid attention.

“What was that?” Yoochun asked Yoohwan glanced at them both like he wasn’t sure if they were really there.

“Never mind,” Yoohwan decided, “I’d better give this back,” he held up his cup which was empty. He left the two of them alone.

“Come on,” Jiyoung said tugging his blanket, “your eomma will probably want to call you.”

“Good thing I took my wallet and phone out of my pockets,” Yoochun grinned, Jiyoung smiled but it was masking other thoughts and feelings.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Ok tell me that you enjoyed this chapter! Because one this chapter is freaking looooong; two it has Yoohwan, Yoochun, Jaejoong, Junsu and even Hyung Joong in it. And third well… It’s a win-win with some things I think a lot of you were hoping for. Oh yeah I now have 90 subscribers in total! Thank you guys it looks like my dream of getting 100 subscribers may actually happen J