Chapter 26

Two Different Worlds

 

“Leeteuk-ssi, are you busy now? Can I call you?” I read over the message several times before sending it. I didn’t want to sound so desperate in front of him, even though in reality I really was.

It was weird in a way, huh? I never thought that I would feel this comfortable sending him a text message, or receiving a phone call for him. If we tracked back to how he and I treated each other in the beginning, and if we also considered the fact that I was a nobody while he was a superstar, what happened now just simply didn’t make any sense at all.

I glanced at Gaby who was already sleeping beside me. I waited for hours until I managed to find a time for myself and dial Jung Soo. It was almost 10 p.m. I hoped he didn’t do radio hosting again tonight. Cuz if he did, then I had to wait until he finished, which I didn’t know for sure when, and I still had to sleep a bit early since I had school tomorrow.

Suddenly my phone vibrated. Jung Soo didn’t reply my text, he was calling me! Uh-oh, I quickly raced to the bathroom and received the call.

“Hi,” Jung Soo said, not sounding so great.

“Hi!” Despite of the fact that I kept thinking about his military stuff and being sad all the time, I still greeted him excitedly. It felt so good to finally hear his voice again.

“Sorry for not contacting you the past few days. If only you knew how packed oppa’s schedule is, ______-ah.” Jung Soo’s voice still didn’t hint any signs of excitement. Not that I was expecting some joy from him though. He was busy all the time. Damn, was on the phone with him right now the right thing to do? He should have rested instead of calling me! Guilty, guilty, guilty! L______, why are you so terribly stupid?

Seemed like it wasn’t the right time to ask him about the military enlistment something. “Leeteuk-ssi, I just realized that it’s late now. Have some rest, okay?” As much as I wanted to talk to him and clear things up, I also wanted him to get enough sleep. That was the only thing I could do for this man.

“I want to, but I can’t.” Then suddenly Jung Soo continued with a brighter tone, “______-ah, can oppa see you tomorrow? After school?”

No, oppa can’t...“You have free time tomorrow, Leeteuk-ssi?”

“Yes. Well, not really though. But I won’t be so busy in the evening.”

“Then maybe no, we cannot see each other.”

Surprised with my answer, he disappointedly asked, “Why?”

“Don’t you feel that it ain’t important? Use your time more wisely, Leeteuk-ssi,” I said.

I was about to continue with, ‘Just get some rest rather than seeing me, okay?’ when he harshly hung up the phone call before letting me finish my sentence. This kid. So, could we say that he was mad at me now?

I sometimes hated how Jung Soo’s mood could easily change in a too short period of time. He didn’t even allow me to finish what I really meant to say, duh. But at least, now he didn’t waste his energy on calling me. Just wished that he was smart enough to take care of his own body and sleep.

--

HE WASN’T JUNG SOO IF HE WASN’T FULL OF SURPRISES. SWEET BABY JESUS IN THE MANGER, WHAT IS HE DOING HERE?!

Okay, I just got out of school building and recognized his white Audi A5 parked in front of the gate. Like, right in front of it.

YE EUN! WHERE IS SHE?! SHE MUST NOT SEE THIS!Oh... I vaguely remembered that she told me she had a talk with the class president or something. Gawd, just my luck. I quickly texted her, ‘Emergency! G2G home nao! Talk 2 U later.’ Hoped this would help.

Without any hesitation, I walked towards Jung Soo’s car fiercely. He was so stubborn, seriously. Unpredictable too, yes.

I got inside his car and judgingly looked at him. He got his eyebrows furrowed, eyes narrowed.

“What are you doing here? Barging inside someone’s car? That’s very impolite of you, little girl!” Jung Soo exclaimed, angrily. Eh...did I miss something?

“You... you we- were not here, to see- see me?” I stuttered. What. Is. This.

I tried to learn his expression and prayed that I would find a hint of humor there. But I couldn’t. This was not good. Oh. My. God. All of my dignity and self-confidence, say goodbye to momma.

“No, I’m not,” Jung Soo said, not believing my reckless action.

“Then wha- what are you doing here?” I managed to ask him a question.

Jung Soo narrowed his eyes even more. “You don’t need to know.”

Okay, that’s it.I slowly opened the car door and got out, “Oh, I’m sorry,” I said in utter shame.

But Jung Soo held my wrist. What again now? I turned my body to face him.

Jung Soo flashed a evil, satisfied grin. “Gotcha!” Then he burst out laughing. His laugh was one of a kind and I just sat, watching him laugh.

Realizing that I showed no emotions, Jung Soo stopped laughing. “Sorry, sorry, your shocked expression amused me way too much.”

“Not funny. I hate jokes,” I murmured. I normally hated any form of jokes. But to be honest, I didn’t feel so irritated right now. I didn’t mind when it was him who did this to me.

But there was no way I would admit that to him. So I just put my poker face. “So, you’re really here to see me.”

Jung Soo cutely smiled and nodded. “Yeah~”

“What I told you yesterday?”

Jung Soo let out a sigh. “I’m fine and not tired, you don’t need to worry so much. Hey anyway, is your head okay?” He touched my forehead carefully, checking it gently. My heart skipped a beat.

I backed away from him, just for the sake of my heart, which could explode any minute now. “I’m cool.”

Jung Soo knowingly nodded once. “Good.” He continued, “So what were you texting me for yesterday?”

I suddenly remembered my initial intention of contacting him. Eh, seemed like this was not the right place to talk... “Can we like, leave the school and talk somewhere else?”

“OH! Yeah! Yeah, I was going to ask you to have late lunch anyway. Or maybe there’s a certain place you wanna go to right now?” He thoughtfully asked.

“No, it’s cool. Just go to some restaurant or something. I’ve eaten my lunch, but I can accompany you having yours.”

Jung Soo didn’t say much and just drove to the nearest restaurant. But to think again of it... talking inside the car seemed to be more preferable than in public. I didn’t know what his answer would be, and if, JUST IF, it didn’t go as what I thought it would be, I was afraid that I might uncontrollably sob in front of him. If I were to sob, I’d rather do it only with him witnessing it, but not the public.

So before Jung Soo got out of the car and walked inside the restaurant, I stopped him. I tapped his right shoulder, motioning him to stay here inside the car. “Wait, Leeteuk-ssi. I cannot say it out there.”

Jung Soo slightly furrowed his eyebrows, but then he calmly smiled. “Okay if you want us to talk here.”

I gulped. My heart was beating so fast now. I felt like throwing up. What if it was true? What if he was really going to leave? “I heard from people... They said you’d enter the army soon. Is that true?” My voice was bitter and desperate. I tried so hard to keep myself composed.

I looked at Jung Soo in the eyes. His calm expression dropped. He looked sad and a bit resentful. I swore to you I could see tears start to form in his eyes. Did I just hurt him?

“I- I’m sorry,” I worriedly said. I gulped again. This was getting hard. Should have not brought this topic up in the first place, I regretted. “Leeteuk-ssi, I’m sorry.”

Jung Soo closed his eyes and rested his head on the car seat head support. A tear swiftly ran down his cheek. No, he’s crying. He’s crying and that’s because of me.

I guiltily bit my lip hard. Do not cry. Do not cry.

Jung Soo opened his eyes and bitterly smiled. He slowly took my hand and held it tightly. “Yes, I am going soon.”

My heart broke.

I didn’t know how to describe my feeling right now. It was... a terrible, excruciating, agonizing thing to hear. He was going soon.

“But it’s not only that...” Jung Soo continued. No, I didn’t want to hear anything from him anymore. No.

He suddenly cried out of the blue. Not only a tear. He cried his eyes out.

This was the second time I saw him crying. The first time was during his surprise party. That time, I didn’t know him yet. I only saw him as an annoying man who acted more like a kid than his real age. The tears that flowed out of his eyes were more of happy tears than the sad ones. But now... seeing him sobbing like this, was just plainly painful.

It was too painful to watch.

The next thing I knew, I had my arms hugging him. He was crying in my hug.

Jung Soo wept. He howled with sorrow. And I couldn’t do anything but hugged him, and cried with him. “Tell me what’s wrong...”

“Everything. Ev- every- everything is- is wrong,” he stuttered, still crying.

I wiped my tears away. “Leeteuk-ssi, stop crying, please. I’m begging you. I don’t know what to do now.” I tried not to cry again.

Jung Soo let go of my hug and firmly held both of my shoulders. He was breathing much more calmly now. Another drip of tear rolled out of his left eye and he sorrowfully whispered, “Heechul is leaving next month.” Then he burst out in tears again.

What? What did he just say? Heechul? Heechul oppa? Leaving? Next month?

“I’m not in the mood to joke, Leeteuk-ssi.” I said in disbelief. “And please stop crying, you’re making me very sad and frustrated.”

He pulled me to his embrace and caressed my hair. “I’m not joking...”


 

Hallo... I hope this chapter didn't put you in depression T_T I don't know... I hate the fact that my story follows what happens in the reality T_T Well, not the whole reality, but you get what I mean right? Should have not made it that way since the beginning T_T

We all will wait patiently for Heechul to come back, right? Right, guys? You'll wait with me, right? ;~;