Let It Go

The Library

I rested upon the bed, snuggling the pillow close to me as my tears continued to roll down. I couldn’t believe my father. I knew it had been him. Who else in the world would have the power to make so many people disappear in an instant.

I wasn’t quite sure on what to do, but after meditating on the subject, the more furious I became and the anger grew inside of me.

After a week, I planned my attack.

I wasn’t allowed to leave the state through plane. I’m sure people were watching me. I decided to call up the only other person I knew here. Many people didn’t know I even knew anyone at all.

I tried calling her up and she surprisingly answered.

“Hello?” she answered. I was so happy to hear her voice I almost cried.

“Ana, Ana!” I yelled out desperately.

“Ms. Winters! Are you okay? What number are you calling from?” she asked me frantically. I began to weep.

“Ana, please help me out I beg you, I need a huge favor! It’s my father…please” I begged here in between tears.

“Ms. Winter-Mina please take a deep breath and explain to me. Where are you? Are you in NYC?”

“No Ana, I’m in Santa Barbara, here in California. I know you live in Santa Paula not that far from here, please can you come to me? I need your help, please I’ll explain here!” I rambled on.

“Yes, I’ll be on my way soon. Text me your address okay?” she replied soothingly. We hung up and I got on my feet immediately.

This was my only chance. I either left now, or never. I peaked outside the windows. From far away you could see some black cars parked on the street. They were keeping watch.

I got a fairly big bag from my closet and packed some clothes inside, enough to last me at least a week. I also packed my numerous cards and some cash. In my text message I had instructed Ana to wear shades. I got my phone and turned it off. I was in no way taking it with me. If anything it was the way they were tracking my every move. I packed my tablet disconnecting it from the company wi-fi. I finished printing the pages of the directions to Nevada. I was going to take the plane to NYC from Las Vegas. It was the only way to get out of here.

As soon as Ana arrived, I hugged her and sat her down in the living room, serving her some tea.

“Mina, what is going on? I saw the cars outside your house…did something happen? Why are you here in California?”

I took a deep breath.

“Ana, father punished me for something I didn’t even do. Justin threw a party and blamed it on me. He got furious and sent me over here. Honestly, I was fine living here. I developed feelings for a wonderful and respectful guy. We even went out to L.A last week, but when I woke up the next day, his number was deleted from my phone and he disappeared. All his friends did too, and the one’s who knew him claim they never met such person. Ana please believe me he was real. I know it was father. Please let me put on your clothes and leave this place, I beg you Ana” I begged getting on my knees. Tears were streaming down my face. She went down to the ground with me and hugged me.

“Please don’t get on your knees, I am still much lower than you in society. Don’t do this to me. I will help you Mina. But how will I go home if you take my car?” she asked as she patted my back. I looked up.

“Anna, I’ll be back” I said letting go of her and running to my car that was parked in the garage. I had the registration and the papers to change owners. I ran inside and grabbed a pen, signed it and gave it to her for her to sign as well.

“Sign this Ana, my car is yours” I said pointing to the place for her to sign.

“Ms. Winters!” she said sounding a bit mad.

“Ana, this is the only way. I have to sell the car to you, I’m putting it under gift, it’s a gift for you. You take it to the DMV alright?” I said putting the pen in her hands. She hesitated but signed it.

“Ana you are welcome to do whatever you want with the car now. I know you have financial crisis, and the car is roughly worth 197,000 dollars, I know it’s not a lot but hey sell it and you can maybe pay of bills and get a nice place, get something nice for your kids okay?” I asked her, this time she was in tears.

“Thank you my Mina, thank you. Please take care of yourself and call me when you get there and everything okay?” she pleaded and hugged me tightly.

I always saw Ana like a motherly figure in my life. She was now helping me in a very serious moment of my life.

I thanked her and changed into her clothes and got into her humble car.

She told me it would get me to Las Vegas safely. It was a Toyota Camry from 2006.

Thankfully the cars did not become suspicious of me and I managed to leave the residence. I felt so free, so alive. I blasted the song “Let It Go” and headed to the freeway.

Father, I’m on my way.