The Midnight Train

The Library

I decided to have a Journey moment and instead of taking a plane, I decided to take the midnight train, going anywhere. The next train available was going to Georgia, to Atlanta to be exact. I got on and fell asleep. I felt so lonely, I felt like I had no purpose in this world. As if my existence had been erased from society.

When I finally arrived in Atlanta, the sky was still pitch black. I decided to get a hotel and buy the newspaper.

If I was going to survive with 10,000 dollars, I couldn’t be living a hotel. I also wasn’t planning on going back and begging father for forgiveness. I had to find a place to live, even if I had never done that myself. For the first time in my life I had to use a public phone. I didn’t even know those longer existed.

It was early in the morning as I stood in front of the public phone. I was too nervous to call. I wanted to give up.

“C’mon Mina” I told myself as I raised my hand ready to punch the numbers. I hesitated once more.

“What would Kyungsoo do?” I told myself. In my mind I reasoned: Kyungsoo was so humble he would call. He would be able to survive these moments.

After meditating for what seemed like hours, I got the courage to make the call.

I called the first people announcing a room for rent on the newspaper. However, they didn’t answer. I called the next 3 people on the list, but they had already found someone. I called the next 5 people but they all said they were looking for a family to rent the condo to.

I felt like ripping the hair out of my head.

There was only one more number left. Before I made the call, I prayed like crazy and finally dialed the number. It was a lady who answered.

“Hello?” she spoke. I got really nervous that I even forgot what I was going to say.

“Hello?” she repeated.

“Oh, yes hello! I- well- my name is Mina and I was calling about the room you have for rent…I- is it still available?” I stuttered repetedly.

“Oh yes, yes the room is still for rent. Would you like to come see it?” the woman asked me.

“May I?” I asked anxiously.

“Yes, you may. Would you like to come see it later in the week or-” the woman began to say but I cut her off.

“May I see it today?”

“Today? Sure, what time would you like to come?” the woman asked a little surprised.

“Right now? Would that be fine?”

“Well sure, I’ll be waiting then.” she responded.

“Thank you so much” I said getting excited and happy. I hung up and called a taxi immediately.

***

Mina arrived at the house. It was fairly small in comparison to the homes she was used to. It was a decent size. The neighborhood looked clean and nice. She smiled and walked up to the front porch. She hesitated but knocked on the door carefully.

An Asian woman came out to greet her.

“Hello, are you Mina?” she asked. Mina nodded and smiled.

“C’mon on in” the woman said. Mina stepped in and looked around. The home was like the home’s she had seen in movies. A typical home with the nice living room and the family pictures. She was fascinated. The woman looked at Mina confused. She thought the girl was so strange.

“Well the room is this way, follow me” the woman spoke, making Mina snap out of her thinking. She led her to the room and opened the door. The room was very clean. It was very small and the size of her bathroom back in NYC. It was much bigger than Kyungsoo’s room though. In her mind she thought about what Kyungsoo would have thought. She imagined he would have been thrilled with the room since it was bigger than the one he previously had. The woman looked at her to see Mina’s reaction.

“I love it, when can I move in?” Mina asked and smiled. The woman was once more taken aback.

“You want to move in already? I just well- I need to talk it over with my husband” she managed to say, she was so surprised about how much Mina wanted the room. The woman wondered if Mina had run away from home or had been kicked out of her boyfriend’s house.

“Then you should call him” Mina said with a smile, oblivious to it all. The woman looked back at Mina uneasily. She hardly knew the girl. The woman nodded and stepped out of the room to get her cell phone. She called her husband and explained the situation.

“Yeobo, there is a young lady who would like to rent the room. She came into see it today and she said she liked it, the problem is that she wants to move in already and we haven’t even consulted other people. I don’t know what to do. She wants to move in today. I don’t even know if her credit is good. I don’t know, what should I do?” she called her husband frantically. She was in a situation where she really didn’t know what the best decision would be.

“Well you should ask her about her credit and use your discernment. Does she really need to move in immediately?” he asked his wife.

“It appears she really needs to move in. Well I will talk to her about it. I’ll call you back later” she said and hung up on her husband. Mina was still standing in the room smiling and looking outside the window.

“Miss Winters” the woman addressed Mina. Mina turned around right away and smiled.

“I have a question thought, do you really need to move in immediately. I just, well I need your credit score and I-” the woman began. Mina’s smile dropped. She didn’t have a credit score. All the things she purchased she had paid off immediately. She had too much money before that it was impossible to owe. In addition she was really unaware of how things worked in the “real world”.

“I don’t have a credit score though” Mina replied back and sighed. She then thought of an idea.

“Wait, I’ll pay you the rent for the entire year today. I’ll pay it cash!” she insisted. The woman just looked at her even more shocked. She really needed to ask Mina now, how in the world did she have so much money and why did she NEED to move in right away.

“Miss Winters, please answer honestly, who are you? Why do you need to move in so quickly?”

Mina stared at the ground not knowing whether to tell the woman the truth or lie.

“You should look up my name on the internet” she whispered to woman. The woman took out her phone and googled Mina Winters' name. dropped open.

“Your father is the billionaire?”

Mina sighed. She should have just lied.

***

Author's Note:

Hello my subscribers! I'm almost at 40! I never thought I would reach such a level! Thank you to those remaining subscribed!

Shout out to: Andy1015, sierra_pearl, ohshytsitzmarina, purple_peony and ruthysweet for commenting on the very important decision I had to make for the story.

KYUNGSOO WILL REMAIN LEAD! Please have patience and continue reading the story for right now. Kyungsoo will return...and hint MORE HANDSOME THAN EVER!