Onions

The Library

Mina's P.O.V

I sat down on one of the tables. The classroom was almost full. The classroom was divided in half. There were seats such as the one’s I was seated in on one side. There was also a board. Meanwhile on the other side, there was a huge kitchen. The whole culinary experience. Sinks, stoves, ovens, all silver and beautiful.

We had two professors who were standing in the front of the room talking, they were wearing their chef uniform.

It appeared that everyone was sitting next to someone else except for me. I sighed. It was normal for me to feel that way, people tended to avoid sitting next to the foreign girl. A few more people poured in and the class was officially full except for the seat next to me and two seats two rows from where I was sitting.

***

Omniscient P.O.V

Kyungsoo watched from the back of the room as everyone avoided to sit with Mina.

“Sir, are you going to go in?” his guards asked him. He turned around to face them.

“You may take a break, I think I’ll be fine in this class” he said to them and bowed. His guards looked uneasy leaving him alone.

“I’ll be fine, I have your numbers on speed dial if anything happens” he reassured them. They nodded and bowed. He stepped in at the same time with another guy and a girl.

“I don’t want to sit with the foreigner” the guy whispered to the girl and they both nodded.

Kyungsoo sighed. He didn’t want to sit next to her either but Kyungsoo wasn’t raised to be rude. He waited until the couple took their seats and sat next to Mina. He had been shocked earlier by the fact they were both in the same class.

Mina sighed and turned around. Her eyes went wide. Kyungsoo was staring straight at her and she was looking back at him. They both turned opposite ways immediately. Mina blushing like crazy and Kyungsoo feeling like such a fool for sitting next to her. She couldn’t believe he was in her class.

“I am Professor Lee and this is my partner in teaching Ms.Bellamy, You might have a hard time pronouncing her name so you can call her Professor B” their main professor announced.

“I expected you to have read the first 2 chapters in your book” he announced. There was murmuring among the students.

“But professor, some of us were unaware-” one of the students began. Professor Lee cut them off.

“It was in the syllabus, online. The syllabus every each and one of you should have read already. As I was saying, today we will begin with a task that every student should be able to perform the correct way. You will cut an onion. It was in the reading, so I expect everyone to know how to do it” he stated.

“Pssst” the guy next to Mina whispered. Mina turned around.

“Did you read the chapters?” he asked. Mina shock her head.

“I did not, the book was expensive! I couldn’t afford it” she said in Korean and frowned. Kyungsoo didn’t believe what she was saying.

“You’re Korean is great by the way, I’m Sam” the guy said and introduced himself to Mina. Mina smiled and nodded.

“I’m Mina nice to meet you too!” she whispered. Kyungsoo began to cough, making Mina turn around. The professor walked over to them and handed them an onion each. The knife was already on the table. Mina heard whispers as a couple of girls stared at Kyungsoo and giggled.

“Hmm” Mina whispered to herself as she tried to think of the correct way to cut an onion. If only she would have had the money to buy the book. She began to flashback. She remembered Eric’s mother and the ways she cut onions. She wasn’t a professional chef but she was a decent cook.

She began to slice the ends off. Then sliced it in half length wise, laid both halves down and began to slice crosswise through the onion. She then flipped what she cut sideways and downward along the straight edge. At the end, she ended with a decent chopped onion.

Kyungsoo on the other hand stood there not knowing what to do. He had the book but was too busy with his practices to study.

At the end he ended up with a pretty badly cut onion. He looked over to Mina’s, her onion was perfectly chopped. The professor was now walking by analyzing the chopped onions. He looked at Kyungsoo’s and shook his head.

“Did you read the chapters?” he asked.

“No sir” Kyungsoo responded.

The professor then walked over to Mina’s. He observed as Mina anxiously waited for her evaluation.

“This was decent, it seems that you cut the onion the right way, you could have gone over it a little bit more to make sure the pieces were finely chopped. Yours is the best I’ve seen though, your classmate over here should have asked for your help” the professor said and looked over to Kyungsoo once more. He shook his head again.

“Did you read the chapters?” the professor asked Mina this time. Mina shook her head.

“I have not acquired the book yet” she responded. Her professor nodded.

“I expect you to read the chapters nonetheless, find a way” he replied bluntly. Mina nodded and bowed. The rest of class continued. Kyungsoo feeling disappointed for not studying and Mina feeling worried about not obtaining a copy of the book. When class was dismissed they parted ways, not once did they exchange a word.

Mina walked quickly to the library and walked up to the librarian.

“Has the book been turned in?” she asked the librarian. He shook his head.

“Sorry miss, it appears the person might still be needing it”

Mina felt like crying, she didn’t know what she was going to do.

“Oh, alright. Please call me to inform me if by chance they returned it but thank you anyways” she responded and bowed. She exited quietly worried out of her mind. What Mina didn’t know is that Kyungsoo had followed her to the library.

He couldn’t believe it. He had thought Mina was kidding about not having the book. He couldn’t fit it into his head. How could Mina not have enough money?

He watched as Mina thanked the librarian and left the building with watery eyes. He sighed to himself. He didn’t know what was getting into him.

Mina’s father had done so much wrong, yet he couldn’t help but feel sorry for Mina. He ped his back pack and took out the textbook, went into the copy room and made copies of the first 4 chapters, the one’s Mina needed to read for the week. He stapled them neatly and walked over to the librarian.

“Mr. D.O” the librarian said and bowed.

“Can you please give these to the young lady who needed the book, can you call her to pick them up?” Kyungsoo asked. The librarian nodded.

“I’ll let her know you made the copies-” the librarian began but was cut off by Kyungsoo.

“Please don’t let her know it was me…I umm well she might be a fan and I don’t want her to get the wrong idea. Just give them to her please” Kyungsoo asked the librarian. The librarian nodded.

Kyungsoo bowed and left the building, he felt good for his act of kindness, but he knew he had to let the rest of the members know what was going on with Mina. He just wasn’t sure how they would react. Kyungsoo still had a hard time believing the situation, but would the guys believe him?

Author's Note:

Hello my wonderful subcribers! I am appreciating the comments! I am glad you all are enjoying my story, this wasn't my best chapter but I wanted to update anyways. It's almost the end of the semester so i'm sorry if I take longer to update I will try to keep up with it!

I will try to spice things up in the kitchen ;)

-The Author